February 2018 Moms

Gtky: common sense

What common sense thing do people around you lack? Or what do you think is a ridiculous rule that is necessary because of lack of common sense.  Extra points for gifs and pics. 
BabyFruit Ticker
older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
babybro218alice0218

Re: Gtky: common sense

• @lainikins I unfriended someone over selfies. Every day, new selfie. No other updates. What was I getting out of this internet connection? Nothing but terrible selfies.

"Don't use chainsaw near genitals" -- actual consumer warning on chainsaws (or perhaps an urban myth, but my professor told us this one in a consumer protection law section of an undergrad law class I took).
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

magnolia305jennifer_m21lainikinsbabymakes9
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom still hasn't learned the difference between posting on someone's FB wall and a PM. She in another country and was putting all her flight schedule bidness (including why she had to change flights) out there for everyone to read on her husband's wall arranging for him to pick her up from airport. One of her other friends even posted, "you know this is public right, but I think you're safe from being kidnapped". Anyways, could just be my industry, but it's pretty common advice for home and personal security to not advertise that stuff on social media. 
    magnolia305SarahFoley725NKF312
  • clc515 said:
    My mom still hasn't learned the difference between posting on someone's FB wall and a PM. She in another country and was putting all her flight schedule bidness (including why she had to change flights) out there for everyone to read on her husband's wall arranging for him to pick her up from airport. One of her other friends even posted, "you know this is public right, but I think you're safe from being kidnapped". Anyways, could just be my industry, but it's pretty common advice for home and personal security to not advertise that stuff on social media. 
    YES, my MIL just learned about facebook a year ago so she can have easier access to DD pictures, and totally does not understand any internet etiquette or safety. I actually had her give me her password when she joined so I can go in and adjust her security settings as needed... because trying to explain how to do it over the phone was such an epic fail.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    clc515
  • Mine deals with work. I deal directly with clients and update their websites (as stated in their directives) multiple times a day.  So why then must they turn around and email me asking for said updates?  use your brain people. 
  • @eggplantface, I wish I could unfriend, but it is my sister. I can't even unfollow because she will randomly ask me questions about things she posts (I think trying to see if I unfollowed). We are polar opposites and she does not understand why we are not close despite her tormenting me growing up and into adulthood. Ugh I could go on and on. 
  • @lainikins I don't suppose you could use the "FB algorithm doesn't show me your posts" excuse? Because I legitimately I miss a lot because it's "Top News" feed dictates what I see. It makes it easier when people ask if I saw that thing they posted, I can be all "Naw, man, algorithm fucked my feed up!" And the "Most Recent" sort doesn't work all the time.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

lainikins
  • @eggplantface, I legitimately do miss some of her posts. I am just not on Facebook all the time, or when I am, I focus more on my groups and notifications than I do in my newsfeed. I bet if I claim algorithms, she will tell me that I need to like and comment on more of her pictures because then they will show up for me. ***insert giant eyeroll*** I figure that since I very rarely post to Facebook, she has no way of knowing when I am on and I just tell her I have not been on recently (even if I have). 
    eggplantface
  • sabriel1 said:
    My grandmother blasted my sisters engagement congratulations on FB before my sister announced on there or told all her friends. My sister kind of took for granted that most people know it is common etiquitte to not say anything about a big life event until you get the cue from that person's page so she didn't anticipate this was something she would have to explicitly say.

This is the same grandmother who thought LOL meant lots of love and was replying lol on people's RIP statuses :|

I shouldn't laugh as hard at this as I did lol

I still want to meet the people who cause some of the warning labels you see.  Like the person who was blow drying their hair in the bathtub.
    babybro218eggplantfacebabymakes9rainafire77
  • My ex has a riding lawn mower that has a tag on the key that shows the mom holding two kids hands while they watch dad ride his lawn mower through the window.  Not at all a warning label that fits this category, but the sexism is so infuriating to me.
    babybro218eggplantface
  • This made my day.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• @ahoneycutt12 I don't do that but I like having the street/highway names better than listening to GPS. 
    I don't know about other people's siblings/kids but my brother (14) doesn't check the teapot before turning the stove on among a bunch of other things. I have a feeling he's going to break a few of them when he's on his own!
  • @ahoneycutt12 I don't do that but I like having the street/highway names better than listening to GPS. 
    I don't know about other people's siblings/kids but my brother (14) doesn't check the teapot before turning the stove on among a bunch of other things. I have a feeling he's going to break a few of them when he's on his own!
    What do you check the teapot for? I am so lost on this. I should add that I do not own a teapot, but we never paid any mind to the one I had growing up and it never broke. Is this a common sense thing I am lacking? 
  • Kids on bikes on the roads. Omg. If you’re gonna let your kids ride by themselves in the street they should have some major common sense hammered into their heads before you let them go. Kids don’t understand drivers’ rules of the road or that drivers are not all very attentive, so they do the absolute dumbest things on their bikes. I’ve seen so many close calls. 

This isn’t so much about dumb things, but I wish I had more ‘common sense’ about things like cars and directions. I have never been able to orient myself with north, south, east, west directions and I get lost so easily. Also I have literally no idea how cars really work and feel so helpless when something goes wrong with my car. DH fixes our cars and he’s too busy right now so my car sounds like a motorboat and I wish I knew how to fix it myself!!! I could YouTube it but I feel like I need so much background knowledge that DH learned from his dad from a young age. I’m making DH teach both our son AND daughter that stuff when they’re older.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
    mbirdiebabymakes9

• ****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

eggplantfacebabybro218babymakes9katefb17
  • @lainikins it's also known as a kettle. My brother doesn't check to make sure there's enough water in it. 
  • @lainikins it's also known as a kettle. My brother doesn't check to make sure there's enough water in it. 
    Like when you want to use it or each time you use the stove? If you are not using that burner, why do you need to check it before you turn the stove on and if you are using it, why don't you put fresh water in it before you turn it on? 
  • See this!! What person put their child or pet in the dryer and turned it on!!!  These labels are in response to some genius somewhere that did this.
    rainafire77
  • See this!! What person put their child or pet in the dryer and turned it on!!!  These labels are in response to some genius somewhere that did this.
    Sadly, I've heard of that happening a lot, especially to pets. I'm wondering who leaves their dryer door open so a pet can climb in?
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

Sadly, I've heard of that happening a lot, especially to pets. I'm wondering who leaves their dryer door open so a pet can climb in?
     how does a pet get into a dryer in a laundromat?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
    And I didn't even realize it was a laundromat sign. This is a very good question. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

And I didn't even realize it was a laundromat sign. This is a very good question. 
    Our local laundromat that allows pets. Theure supposed to be on leashes but people let their little rat dogs run around freely. They do the same thing with their toddlers which is scary. There's an open front door and an open backdoor and the shopping center is filled with transients.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

babymakes9
  • sabriel1 said:
    My grandmother blasted my sisters engagement congratulations on FB before my sister announced on there or told all her friends. My sister kind of took for granted that most people know it is common etiquitte to not say anything about a big life event until you get the cue from that person's page so she didn't anticipate this was something she would have to explicitly say.

This is the same grandmother who thought LOL meant lots of love and was replying lol on people's RIP statuses :|

My mom posted on facebook about my being pregnant before I ever did. Seriously ticked me off. I don't get along with my mom to begin with and stuff like this is part of the reason.
  • lainikins said:
    @lainikins it's also known as a kettle. My brother doesn't check to make sure there's enough water in it. 
    Like when you want to use it or each time you use the stove? If you are not using that burner, why do you need to check it before you turn the stove on and if you are using it, why don't you put fresh water in it before you turn it on? 
    Just when you want to use it. That's what you are supposed to check for and it gets used quite a lot in one day so there is fresh water almost every day.
    lainikins
  • precious88precious88 member
    edited October 2017
    @kaitie12-27 NOOOO not okay! I'm sorry your mom did that :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • lainikins said:
    @lainikins it's also known as a kettle. My brother doesn't check to make sure there's enough water in it. 
    Just when you want to use it. That's what you are supposed to check for and it gets used quite a lot in one day so there is fresh water almost every day.
    That makes so much more sense. The one we used growing up was only ever used a few times a year, so I always put fresh water in it. 
    gymmonkey95