May 2018 Moms
Options

Pregnant during family illness

So about a week after I got my BFP, I found out my Dad has pancreatic cancer. It has so far had such a huge impact on my experience of being pregnant. I went from being so excited, reading forums all the time, researching etc to just being so sad all the time and having a very hard time getting excited and staying positive. None of this is how I expected my pregnancy to go, after 2 years of wanting and hoping so much, now it feels overwhelmed by these other worries.

I was wondering if there is anyone else going through similar difficult life experiences during their pregnancy? I thought it might be nice for us to band together and provide some additional support to each other, since I for one would love a chance to talk to someone who is going through something similar. It doesn't have to be exactly the same, but even just those of us who aren't having a pregnancy as full of optimism sunshine and roses as expected probably have a lot we can share!

Re: Pregnant during family illness

• Options
    I'm not going through that, but I wanted to say that I am so sorry your dad is sick:-( I will be keeping you in my thoughts!
  • Options
    I'm not going through this right now, but in 2016 my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. I felt like someone had flipped my world upside down. I was so worried about her and her prognosis and it consumed me for a really long time. It also affected some of the happiness surrounding my brother's wedding, so I can relate to the feeling of dealing with a diagnosis and also an event that should be such a happy time in your life. 

It it really helped me to be involved with helping my mom. I took her to surgery, helped her with anything she needed during recovery, and did what she needed while she went through radiation. I felt more informed and logically in control by doing that and I'm really happy to report that she's been cancer free for several months now and her most recent follow up scan was clear. 

I'll be thinking of your dad and your family and if you ever want to talk, don't hesitate to PM me.  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry that you're going through this. When I was 20w pregnant with DD last summer we found out H's grandmother was terminally ill. She was like a Mom to him and helped raise him. We actually decided to move across Canada for 6 months to help take care of her. I ended up taking her to all of her appointments and treatments. I will never forget being 9 months pregnant rolling her out in a wheel chair for a smoke.

It was crazy and hectic to uproot our life temporarily and not at all how I expected to spend my pregnancy. But it was a really important and special time to spend with her. I ended up delivering there and we moved back to our home when DD was 2m old. If you need any support, feel free to PM me. I'll be thinking of you!
  • Options
    First, I am so sorry that you're going through this.  
    *TW loss of family members and infant loss*
    My dad died very suddenly and very unexpectedly 10 days before my girls were born.  I had so many crazy feelings and emotions, this deep grief over losing my dad, but this immeasurable joy and love for these two tiny little babies I had just brought into the world.  Then I would feel guilty for being happy.  And my anxiety was through the roof, I had just been shown how fragile life is and I was terrified that something would happen to my girls.  I was an absolute mess.  Three months later, my sister had her baby at 30 weeks and he only lived about three hours.  Cue more guilt over "being given" two babies, when my sister didn't "get" her one.  It was the worst time of my life, and I feel like it made it impossible to feel any of the happiness I was supposed to have felt over being a new mom.   It obviously never goes away, or even necessarily gets better, but the pain has eased some, and I've been able to learn how to be grateful for my girls.  While I'm no longer religious because of all that happened, I still feel like my dad and nephew are with me every day and watching over my girls.  
    *end TW*
    I will definitely keep you and your family in my thoughts, and feel free to PM any time.  Hugs to you.

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• Options
    I don't have a similar experience, but just wanted to say that I am so sorry you are going through this stressful time.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about your dad. About three weeks after we found out I was expecting my DS (this was in 2015) my grandma died of congestive heart failure. Hormones make it extra difficult to navigate the extreme emotions. As you progress through the pregnancy I'm sure the excitement will grow. It's hard in the early months but as you start to show and feel kicks and all the fun stuff comes it'll feel more real and exciting. 

Your family will be in my prayers ❤️
  • Options
    I'm so sorry about your father. I'm not in a similar situation but I hope this baby can bring you and your family some joy and excitement for the future as you go through navigating your fathers diagnosis and your pregnancy. Praying for you all. If you need a listening ear or creepy internet hugs I'm always here 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your dads diagnosis. In the last week, a very close family member passed away, another had a very complicated heart surgery, and a third has a disease that is progressing to a very serious state. It's been very tough this week but I try to remain positive and be hopeful for the future. 
  • Options
    @thunderberry i can relate, specifically to the disease of pancreatic cancer as well.  My uncle was diagnosed last summer, and he has been putting up one heck of a fight, but a week and a half ago we learned it spread to his liver.  The initial prognosis after learning it spread was 2 weeks - 2 months.  We were thankfully able to go drive up to see him this past weekend (they live in minnesota, we are in IL).  Yesterday my aunt informed us he has a matter of days.  Throughout his illness I think I was in denial a little bit, he's only 56 years old.  But the most important thing to my aunt and him was for us to be there for them.  This being your dad, be an advocate for him, gain knowledge about the disease and try to play as big of role as you can.  Pancreatic cancer is a very scary diagnosis and I am soo sorry you guys are having to deal with it.  
  • Options
    kpc914kpc914 member
    edited September 2017
    I am so sorry that you are going through this. I can definitely relate. 

*TW family loss and terminal cancer mentioned*
    My aunt passed away 6 days ago from metastatic breast cancer. She was like a mom to me, and it many ways closer to me than my own mother. It has been such a struggle to feel excited about the pregnancy while grieving. Having morning sickness doesn't help, and all I can think about is how badly I want the pregnancy to be over. Nothing hurts more than imagining my child in the world without knowing my aunt. But, just the fact that she shared in our pregnancy joy for 2 weeks eases my pain a little bit. You cannot plan life perfectly, you need to do what is best for you and your well-being. I know this journey with your father will no be easy, but I hope the pregnancy provides a nice distraction for you and him. It will definitely be a source of joy through your hardship, even though it may not feel that way right now.
    **end TW**

Please let me know if you need anyone to talk to. I know pancreatic cancer is different than what my aunt went through, but I think we have some common ground and can provide support. Sending you love during this difficult time <3
  • Options
    @thunderberry I am praying for you and your Dad, and family  <3  sorry for that news, I hope there is a way that this pregnancy brings you all closer together despite how sad this is. Does your Dad know about your pregnancy? Might it bring him happiness? The trial sounds promising, good to hear about it. 
    I've only just been privy to what life if life going through cancer with a close friend (60's man, non-hodgkins lymphoma) and it was eyeopening. I'd encourage you to chat with someone who has been through the experience in some way, maybe even someone who's parent has. Only after this did my grandmother open up about what it was like when grandpa had cancer, she just didn't (and rightly so) think we'd "get it". She illuminated how great the burden and struggle is for those looking after the cancer patient, who are so aware of how their lives have changed. Grandpa and our friend had to fight for themself each day, but their wives seemed to be fighting for their whole families too. 

@sandbar517 thanks for sharing, that all sounds really hard, I'm so sorry to hear about losing your Dad and your sister's little one, and the challenge of faith too. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    bumpemmabumpemma member
    edited September 2017
    I can't say my journey seems hard compared to some journeys shared here, but thanks for the invitation to share!

Infertility can be a very difficult time, some people don't seem as affected, for us it was incredibly trying. It can affect pregnancy and stick around after birth like a shadow; even though pregnancy and baby is all we want. Thankfully we've found we have had more peace and happiness than expected. In the end all the suffering and pain had some benefits, how much we now love our family, strength in our marriage and in our faith after much wrestling. 

Both DH's Grandma & Grandpa who live on the property with DH's parents (where we once lived when newly married) both had sudden illnesses come up this year, and his other Grandfather had a stroke. DH's mother has been a huge source of support and encouragement even though she's been through a lot with her daughter's divorce and her sick parents, alongside giving us international IVF support all in the same year! She's truly a strong woman. And was so incredibly happy for the news of our baby. I'm now her big support and an ear to listen about all their health issues. 
    Grandma's heart is failing and medications are being juggled, her spirit is down for what seems like the first time in her life. Grandpa who beat cancer 15yrs ago, now has undiagnosed dysphagia - an inability to eat or talk. It had a sudden onset, and he is completely well in every other area. So sharp, so capable elsewhere, and so defeated over this one (but vital) issue. 

My hubby got a new job when we found out we were pg which allowed some extended time off to go back to visit family in Australia over winter (during gorgeous summer there!), especially the grandparents who are sick, and share with our families my (to be) growing belly and news. 
    We then found out due to visa issues we cannot travel and reenter USA for a year. I cried for 2 days over this, I thought the timing was perfect. I won't be able to see my family bar my mother and some of hubby's immediate family flying out for Christmas. I know that is still wonderful, and we are so thankful they can travel, so we are making the most of being content with what we can do. 
    I also suggested a couple times to my hubby we could fly over, live with his parents and have baby... it's a bit crazy, I know we need our space but I just miss them all so much more when on the other side of the world.
    We are hoping our grandparents make it to when we can fly back with baby to see them, in 10-11 months time. We adore them, and we are naming our boy after DH's grandfather with dysphagia, we love the name and it came upon us before he was sick in a 1950's baby name book. DH looks like his spitting image so I'm keen to see what traits baby will carry!
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    @thunderberry unfortunately he wasn't. As soon as he was diagnosed last summer he started chemo and radiation and the first oncologist basically told him those were his only options. They sought a second opinion at the Mayo clinic, and did have their hopes up for a shot at the Whipple procedure which was scheduled in June. But once the surgeon got in there it was determined the tumor had grown too deep. So the surgery was abandoned and they were faced with a tough decision on what to do next. They evetually decided to try gerson therapy, and they both felt it was working. He started that in mid June and was doing it up until the news that his cancer had spread further.  I hope your father gets the best care out there and it sounds like your mom is playing a big part in this battle, as any wife would. I hope and pray your dad can overcome this. There is so much more research needed on this specific cancer, it has taken too many and taken them way too fast. 
  • Options
    To all the other ladies on here, thank you all for sharing your experiences as well. It seems like a lot of us have this common bond. You are all strong women! 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.  Sounds like your family is on it and doing everything possible to give him the best treatment available.   Sending t&p your way.

During my first pregnancy, DH and I each lost a beloved grandparent and DH also lost his father.  Family inheritance squabbles led to excommunication of many family members during the period as well (bless their hearts).   It.  Was.  Tough.  All I know is it helped to allow myself to feel what I was feeling when I was feeling it and not feel ashamed about it.   That meant happy, sad, angry, guilty, hopeful, etc.  And I leaned on family, friends and coworkers heavily.  
    fail halloween fall costume minions GIF
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. It is a really difficult time and so hard to balance all the different emotions. 

I got pregnant while my mom was fighting ovarian cancer. She was so excited to be a grandma. I know that my pregnancy was a happy thing for her and my dad to focus on. There were some very tough times, around 5 months we received bad news about her diagnosis, that she had only a few months to live. Luckily around 7 months she hit a better patch and had no treatments at all which lasted until after my due date. Unfortunately she passed away when my daughter was 6 months old. 

I had so much stress at various points that I decided to stop working. This way I was also able to spend more time helping my parents. Honestly sometime my emotional state was very numb - the happiness of a newborn combined with the despair of my moms condition made me feel stiff and robotic. 

Please stay in touch as much as you like here, I will be checking back in to see how you and your dad are doing. 
  • Options
    My uncle passed away tonight at the age of 56. He is an angel watching over us now. So heartbreaking to let it finally sink in. I am so thankful I was able to see him this past weekend and give him one last hug.  Thinking of you and your family @thunderberry
  • Options
    So sorry to hear about your father. My FIL was diagnosed with terminal cancer 2 weeks ago. This will be our first baby, and the situation is heartbreaking. I am also having a hard time remaining positive and I really empathize with your situation. My thoughts are with you. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry that you're going through this, it must be an emotional overload! I can completely empathise, I was a carer at a young age for my father for many years before he passed from terminal cancer. All I can say is that we're all here for you and will offer support in which way we can. And as for the surgery / due date clash, you are completely okay to be upset about this! While it may seem trivial compared to the bigger picture it's still a big aspect and something you're allowed to be sad about. Just take care of yourself as best as you can, thoughts are with you!
  • Options

@bwow615 I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you and your family, that is far too young to lose someone. I hope you're doing all right.

@becca_87 I'm so sorry about your FIL. If you ever want to talk at all let me know.

@CraftyG emotional overload is the right word! Thanks for your thoughts.

• Options
    TW - loss from cancer mentioned / pregnancy scare mentioned

I can relate very much to this and I am so sorry you are going through it. My mother was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in mid August. At the time she was fine in herself, but it had spread to her liver. I found out a week later I was expecting (which was a surprise.) 

Normally I would have told her straight away, but it didn't seem like the time and she was starting to exhibit signs of confusion. A few days later she was admitted to hospital and was completely bedridden. While she was there she had a few less confused days and I told her about the baby. I am so glad I did, because she was really pleased.

When she had been there about a week the doctors told me the cancer was very advanced and she had a matter of weeks. I woke up the next day and was bleeding. I had a scan and baby was ok. We arranged for her to come home to me and carers to come in, which she did the following Tuesday. She passed away on the Wednesday.

it has been such a shock, and so hard to feel excitement for the baby. But I am so glad That she shared in the joy of the baby, even if it was for a short time. I have felt very nauseous, tired and basically I'll for the last month. And at the same time I have had a deep anxiety and sadness underneath everything. Her funeral was today and I feel a little relieved now that it is done.

if you want to pm me, please do! I am happy to listen and talk about this, and hope it is helpful to know you are not alone. 

• Options
    @Cerisrichard I am so sorry for what you went through. Please let me know if you need someone to talk to. My aunt's service is this coming Saturday. Sending you love as you try to balance healing and excitement for baby. I, too have been having rough first tri symptoms, so it makes it difficult to feel positive about the pregnancy. My heart is with you. 
  • Options
    kpc914 said:
    @Cerisrichard I am so sorry for what you went through. Please let me know if you need someone to talk to. My aunt's service is this coming Saturday. Sending you love as you try to balance healing and excitement for baby. I, too have been having rough first tri symptoms, so it makes it difficult to feel positive about the pregnancy. My heart is with you. 
    Thank you! I am sorry to hear about your aunt and hope the service goes well! I have a sense of releaf now that it is done, though obviously there is a huge sense of loss. We are just taking it 1 day at a time and trying to stay busy. 

I will be thinking of you on Saturday! 
  • Options
    @Cerisrichard Oh no, I am so so sorry :( I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now. I'm glad you have the service and everything behind you so you can start to heal. I hope it isn't insensitive to say that stories like this do help me because it puts things in perspective - while obviously I am sad I am also grateful to still have my Dad here for now. I hope you're doing all right, I'd be happy to talk any time.