March 2018 Moms

Sh*t People Say to Pregnant Women

Re: Sh*t People Say to Pregnant Women

• Wow, some of these are just hard to read. I am sorry for all of you. I haven't had comments like some of you, but an annoying one that I seemed to have gotten several times was "are you sure there aren't twins in there?" Yep, pretty sure. And I just remember getting so tired of answering the same question over and over and even to the same people. They would always ask what were you having again? and when are you due? By week 35 I was ready to just have it printed on a t-shirt. Or wanted to just stay home. I guess I got annoyed easily in my last trimester.
  • Loading the player...
  • That is truly awful, to the point of sounding abusive, @syssa-o. I'm so sorry she said that to you. I'm so sorry for your loss. 

These posts are making me lose faith in humans.
  • @HappyMonkey817 she has never liked me (I still used to try very very hard) She hates anything that resembles happiness. She is lonely and miserable and has done it to herself. I just hate that my SO wants to have a mom
    in his life (he lived with his dad growing up) and this is what he gets. 
  • Misery loves company, right? We won't dwell. I just feel so awful for SO's sister who has only her as a female role model. 
  • @syssa-o I am so very sorry.  Her comment isn't even logical.  It sounds like you know her hateful comments stem from her own darkness and insecurity.  I get why your SO wants a mother figure, but sometimes it's just time to step back and not engage.  I am seriously concerned for his sister and the environment she is growing up in.
  • @DDRRT1982 that's exactly why he has kept contact up until this point, he feel s so bad that his sister is growing up in that environment. Unfortunately we do have to put our family and our wellbeing first. He is more upset than me (I get it, he hoped his mom wasn't truly a witch.... and she proved him wrong again) but we will be just fine. 
  • @syssa-o what an actually disgusting human being. I'm so sorry for you, and your husband, and his sister. I can't fathom that. 
  • @syssa-o  Raging for you guys. I'm so sorry that you both have to deal with this horrible woman.  You two are strong and have the joy of your children. She can go choke on her own spite. 
  • @syssa-o, I can't even. Your MIL sounds like an absolutely horrible person. I'm glad you have little to no contact with her. You don't need that in your life. No one does. I am so sorry on her behalf. That is sick. 
  • @syssa-o I’m so sorry. What an awful human being.
  • @syssa-o I am horrified. I am so so sorry you experienced this. We already experience so much guilt in parenthood and I'm sorry this person forgot that encouragement hurts no one and degradation hurts everyone. 
  • @syssa-o I’m so sorry y’all have to deal with that. What a small, sad person. Sending love and hugs to you, your H, and his sister. 
  • @syssa-o I am so sorry she said that! I definitely understand why you don't talk to her. 
  • @syssa-o What a horrible thing to say! I am so sorry. 

Since DS is only 15m, I keep getting something similar to "Pregnant again already?" Can't you just say congrats? Ugh.
    Married 5/12/2007
    DS 6/3/2016
    MC 1/12/2017
    BFP 7/19/2017
    EDD 3/31/2018

• @sassypants2010 DH’s grandma said the exact same to us while pregnant with one of our losses because I have a genetic disorder. Heartless.
  • @npkat honestly, you build a thick skin quick when it comes to people giving their unsolicited opinions about your pregnancy/parenting style. Just take it all worth a grain of salt and remember that the people who are disgusting enough to make negative remarks are just showing you who they truly are and that they don't need to be in your life. Like, "Bye Felicia." Plus, they'll seem so insignificant compared to all the love you'll receive. 
  • I'm with @npkat, we have thankfully had nothing but encouraging and positive comments from people. *TW* I think after 3 ectopic pregnancies people realize I'm not for the shit if they come for me *end TW*. 

Also @syssa-o you are a good, strong woman. I'm glad you have seen that evilness for what it is. And if you need any backup I'm here for it. I need some kind of foolishness to blame pregnancy hormones on
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow many of these are shocking, esp @syssa-o.
    I've got another MIL story: When DH told her, her response was...

nothing. She did't reach out to me at all. At first I didn't even know DH had told her. Then I texted her about something else and she asked "is it true that you're expecting?" I was so shocked I didn't even know how to respond. When I replied yes, 12 weeks today. DH's phone rang, and she launched into bitching about BIL! Then said to him "now that I know it's true, I'm very happy for you." 

TW I've had two MC's and she knows this. But she didn't say anything like "Oh good, you've made past your milestones." Not even "How are you feeling?" WTF?  
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Oh I forgot one. 

I've been pregnant 4 times now. 

My SIL has yet to say congratulations to me. For any of my pregnancies. I understood the first two because she was struggling with fertility. But the last 2 she's been pregnant for 1 and had her son for this current one. There's no reason for her not to say congratulations. 
  • @justkeeptrying I'm so sorry that's the case for you. *TW no one in our lives other than my two best friends know that this is my third pregnancy. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my SIL got pregnant a few months later and unfortunately miscarried at about 9 weeks. It was devastating to all of us an I know it was hard on her to see me go through a healthy pregnancy. With this pregnancy, there's been radio silence from her and I can't help but feel like she's still having a hard time. I try to be understanding but it still sucks. Sometimes I wonder if we had been more open about my miscarriage if maybe things would be different right now with her. 
  • @muggle621 @antoto what in the actual fuck. 
  • It's so interesting that it is women and mother's with those responses, @antoto and @muggle621.  I personally like being a woman and I am happy to be part of creating the next generation of women.
  • So when I was pregnant with my second and people asked me if it was a boy or a girl and I said boy a lot of people would say "oh perfect you'll have a boy and a girl you can stop now"-um what?  so if we were having another girl we should keep going?

Going along with some pp's a lot of people are asking me if it's planned because it's the third one (even my OB asked!).  Not that it's really any of their business but we had been kicking around the idea of a third one but not actively trying.  If I try to say it was a bit of a surprise (because it's always a surprise when you find out you're pregnant, you can't tell the second you get pregnant) a favorite comment is "well you know what causes this right?" why yes, thank you.  I'm 31 with 2 other children I know how babies are made.

One that my aunt said was just kind of crazy-I told them over the phone because if I had waited to tell them in person and they heard it from another family member first I never would have heard the end of it-after a long silence the first words out of my aunts mouth were "Oh your poor mother she's so tired already, now you're adding another one!".  What.  My mother watches my kids half a day, in the afternoon, most of the time they're napping.  And when I told my mom this she just scoffed and said "she's just jealous because her son never had kids and she really wanted grandkids, she's jealous of me, I'm not tired and even if I was I wouldn't tell her!"

Mine are not terrible compared to other's and I feel really bad that some of you have had to deal with some really insensitive people who need a good dose of STFU.