March 2018 Moms
Options

Fitness Friday Check-in 9/22

It's BACK! It seemed like a lot of folks were needing some time through that first tri to just make it through, so I'm bringing the FF check-in back to see if people are able to make a plan to get moving a bit more as many people have said symptoms are subsiding--here's hoping :smile:

What are you doing throughout the week to stay active?

Have you needed to modify your activity in any way? How?

What's the greatest challenge to staying active right now?

What's your current favorite activity?

Happy Friday!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Fitness Friday Check-in 9/22

• Options
    I’ve been going to the gym for classes most days during the week

Mostly just making sure to drink enough water during and after

Motivation to leave the house!

Body pump and barre 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been walking a lot. I haven’t been to the gym in way too long, and my doctor said NO to Zumba and weight lifting (basically my whole pre-pregnancy routine).

my greatest challenge has been motivation and fatigue. I need to figure out a different routine. I definitely do not feel my best when I don’t exercise. Zumba and weight lifting were my hobbies before getting pregnant, so I feel sad missing them. Also, to be completely honest, I require a lot of exercise to keep my weight in check when not pregnant, so I feel fluffy now and my self-esteem is way down low.

Currently I like to walk the track at the local park a few times In the morning. I plan to get back to the gym next week. I read that spin class is good for pregnancy- maybe I’ll try that.

Has anyone done spin class while pregant? Any tips? First timer here
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 : I was the same way in first tri. I always felt sick in the mornings, completely exhausted at night, and it was so hot where I live that it was suffocating and miserable. The first trimester is no joke!
    @heatherdubrow : My work BFF gave me a Pure Barre prenatal video that I have yet to open. Honestly I don't even know what it is but I keep thinking I should break it out now that I don't feel rundown all the time.
    @k318 : I would run spin class by your doctor before trying it out. Spin class tends to be really intense and may not be something you want to start while pregnant if you haven't done it before. My doctor okay a stationary bike but spin class may be a bit different because of it's intensity.

Until I was about 7 weeks I ran about 15 miles a week and did body weight type workouts three times a week. After 7 weeks I basically lived on my couch. It was sad. A couple weeks ago I started taking longer walks with my daughter in a stroller and last night I finally ran again! It was seriously amazing. I was nervous that I would be too out of shape but I felt great and probably could have done a lot more. I just didn't want to push myself too soon.

Since I took off so much time I dropped a lot of distance and am definitely slower. I have not yet started any weights back but it's in my plan. I'm just excited to be active again.

My husband's work schedule. He works long hours in the fall so I have to wait until late to run because leaving a 4 year old alone at home is generally a bad idea.

I have a real love/hate relationship with running. It's just been recently that I realized how much I missed it.

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    Pure Barre is all I've been doing, along with their new cardio class Empower. I also teach pure barre, so I count that as like half a workout when I teach haha 

I haven't really started modifying yet, but I probably should soon with some of the ab stuff we do. My doctor mentioned at my appointment on Monday that she could feel my abdominal muscles starting to just barely separate (diastasis recti), which I didn't think happened normally until after birth so that has me concerned. I'm a FTM and just over 14 weeks so that seems pretty early but I'm clueless. I should've asked her if there was anything I should stop doing, but I had a million other things on my mind and I didn't. Do any of you have experience with this? Any recommendations?

We're in the process of moving to a new house, so between that, my full-time job, and teaching PB I just struggle finding tons of time in the day, but I've been trying to stay consistent!

Pure Barre! That shouldn't come as a surprise :)
  • Options
    I'm so excited to feel like I can join this thread after 75 days if feeling like such garbage that I maybe made it to the gym 4 times!

1) I teach 2 fitness classes a week (TBC and a muscle conditioning class), and am doing Yoga today...would love to make that my minimum routine 

2) Lots of modifications because I feel so out of shape...I take lots more breaks, and for ab exercises, I'll demo a move but then not continue with crunches for example 

3) Greatest challenge is I have not got that 'second trimester' energy jump yet...still tired and nauseous and on diclectin, but it's better 

4) Teaching fitness classes, elliptical, honestly anything at this point! 

@k318 can I ask why your doctor said no Zumba or muscle conditioning? Are you high risk? Or are there other complications? 

@stlbuckeye132 from my understanding, diastasis recti occurs anytime from the second half of pregnancy until after. My two friends who had it showed me how it looked in the third trimester...a note is all the friends I had who got this had crazy strong abs before pregnancy, I always said because I was a bit 'softer' I didn't get it? Who knows if there's a correlation! You are supposed to avoid planks, crunches, push ups, etc., but I'm sure this depends on the person...
  • Options
    @mountain_girl I'm not sure how it's already starting for me at 14 weeks?! I definitely need to ask my doctor next time I'm there, but yes I've seen recommendations for no push ups, planks, etc. too. I guess I need to start modifying, which means the time has come that my clients will know. I've been enjoying this time of having them in the dark, some are very nosy haha and fwiw, I don't think I necessarily fall into the crazy strong abs category. No six-pack over here!
  • Options
    @mountain_girl I go to a group practice, and one doc told me Zumba was fine but no weight lifting, then at my next appt I saw someone else who told me no because it is too much bouncing and puts too much stress/pressure on the baby. Also, I was having bad dizziness at rest, so the doctors want me to take it easy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Going to the gym and(or run outside if I do not feel like messing with the gym crowd after work) most days of the week. I do weights and cardio, lots of set type workouts where I do 3-5 exercises and repeat 2-4 times.

I was having to modify some of my pace with mileage and sprints, and noticed I was tiring out more quickly during weights, but the last several weeks I have noticed that has improved so I am back to my normal routine. 

I was having no problem with it up until a week and half ago or so. I was dealing with allergies and sinus headaches so I had to miss a few days in a row, which I can really tell when I haven't gone in a few days. :s This week I think it has just been a motivation issue. I try my best to get up before work to workout but don't always make it, then after work I struggle with the motivation to get my butt there sometimes, especially because I hate going when there is a million people there at 5pm.

As much as I have never been much of a runner (which Im still not), I like getting on the treadmill and running a few+ miles. I challenge myself to increase the speed as much as I can to see how far I can go in 30 minutes. And I LOVE the stair climber!
  • Options
    What are you doing throughout the week to stay active? I head to the gym before anyone wakes up and do my normal routine of upper body twice a week, legs once, and cardio 2-3 times depending on how much sleep I'm able to get during the week. The third day of cardio, or sixth day at the gym, hasn't happened in a couple weeks due to a crazy work schedule, but I stay pretty active with coaching which is plenty of movement!

Have you needed to modify your activity in any way? How? I haven't been able to run as much already. I had a nasty knee injury last winter, and we were hoping to wait until after pregnancy to do a repair. I'll do the surgery next summer once I'm back from maternity leave and off school for a bit. It causes a lot of instability in my knee, and the relaxin makes it that much worse. I've adjusted by doing more intervals on a variety of machines that still make me stabilize my core, but aren't as focused on pounding like running is on the knees.

What's the greatest challenge to staying active right now? My schedule. I worked 73 hours on my feet last week, and next week will be more. After a late match, it just isn't smart for me to sacrifice sleep for a gym visit. I'm trying to be patient, but gym time is my only "me" time. It's where I can go and NO ONE needs me. I don't owe anyone anything, and I can just do my thing. With being a wife, mom, teacher, and coach, I have a ton of people who need a lot, as they should, but it gets super draining. The gym time helps me refocus and get ready for the day!

What's your current favorite activity? Lifting upper body has been my favorite. I don't have little arms, and I've always been self conscious about them, so when I left, I end up feeling much better and more focused on what I can do rather than how I look. If that makes sense.

@k318, I'd ask for another opinion. I think you'll find a lot of doctors hold onto dated research in the area of activity during pregnancy (why?!). Resistance training doesn't have to be intense, and it supports lean body mass which is really important for mom's bone health, among other things. It will also help you balance your body composition which will help post-partum, too. I'm not a doctor and I don't know your history, but I'd be curious if another doctor would support resistance training (weights). I hope whatever you do, it feels good!

@notthefather I remember in my last pregnancies as I watched my pace slow down over time, and it was crazy. I still felt like I was working so hard! This time, I am trying really hard not to even think about pace and just go for time and how it feels. I hope your runs keep feeling good!

To you all, nice work!! I'm excited to see how many are feeling better in the 2nd tri!

• Options
    Throughout the week I have started focusing on my steps everyday. The first 16+ weeks of pregnancy have been rough and at 17 weeks, I have still thrown up on occasion. And heartburn is back which is tough to deal with while exercising. I want to work back up to walking several miles a day so I’ve been upping my activity in intervals. MH and I are working on adding more activity on the weekends—moving rocks in our backyard and cleaning out the garage and a hike one day on the weekends. I’ve noticed if I feel good and have good energy one day, I can get a lot done—but sometimes the next day is more of a rest. Small victories. 

I still have good days and bad days and my heartburn/acid reflux is showing up just as the nausea eases—which I expected. That sometimes affects how active I am. Mornings are my best opportunity to get some extra steps/activity in because by 2 pm everyday, I am usually flagging. 

I love any day that I get out of the house and take DS to a park to play. It’s starting to cool off here in the desert a little and having play time outside, not at our house is a huge deal for our days. It’s also really nice to add in hikes wherever I can.

Hopefully I can start adding some yoga back in the evenings because it’s a huge help for when I sleep and it just feels good. And then maybe a couple times a week I can get back into doing some of my weights and HIIT workouts at my own slow pace. 
  • Options
    Anyone here who does yoga on a regular basis...I went to a vinyasa flow class on Friday. I told the instructor I was pregnant at the beginning and she told me to just avoid twists, anything bending back, and planks. Great, no prob!  

Here's the thing...her class had basically just twists and obviously a lot of sun salutations that include back bends and planks. I felt so unsure what was actually okay to do and what wasn't?? 

Any advice from yogis who practice while pregnant?? 
  • Options
    @mountain_girl I’ve done planks through all my pregnancies...I actually never knew it wasn’t ok to do! I’ve never had any issues with them. I also twist but not as deep. @antoto would be a great resource here!
  • Options
    @mountain_girl Sorry I forgot to tag you above.  Wanted to make sure you saw that.
  • Options
    I am doing yoga still.  I can do a lot of stuff still, but I am cautious.  In my classes we run through flows together and while we are doing that I make sure to find modifications that feel comfortable.  I don't have to modify too much yet, but I can tell that my stomach is getting bigger and the modifications are coming.  @antoto gave me great advice and couple months ago that echos what she said above.  If you want to look back it was in one of the first fitness check ins.  
  • Options
    urrg.... not much? I was really active before I found out, and was super excited to stay fit. But once the 1st tri exhaustion and nausea hit, I was toast. I would do walks, but recently I have been unable to even do those with our new schedule :(   Haven't done much lately, and have just started to feel good enough to do more intense calistenics/yoga again, but round ligament pain has started now, so that's not very good either... 

I have had to modify the calisthenics that I do:
    I have to be more cautious when I stretch to not put pressure on my sciatic nerve. 
    Less push-ups, stopping if I feel any pulling/pain in my lower abdomen.
    Less squats or any other activity like it that bothers the sciatic nerve.

A little bit of round ligament pain, the sciatic nerve pain, and exhaustion(still!) really makes it hard to be motivated at all to work out. Also, our schedule is currently making it hard to work out since we have to hit the road for work before it's light, and get home when it's almost dark. 

I like to do some light yoga moves and stretches like cat/cow, cobra, down dog, and squats. 
  • Options
    @mountain_girl I'm not sure if someone addressed it, but perhaps you could ask the instructor to show alternative poses? My instructor asks if anyone is expecting st the beginning of class and will show appropriate alternative poses before doing the intended pose. 
  • Options
    @antoto and everyone else, thanks so much for the helpful info! I teach fitness classes, so I feel like I should know what I should do or not do, but I'm not as comfortable with modifications in Yoga! Thanks so much again - you all rock !!
  • Options
    This is probably the best place to post this, but does anyone have ideas about where to get affordable maternity workout pants (full panel)?  Holy Batman, some of it is expensive.  I really don't want to do leggings bc you can see through them when you bend over and often times my workout clothes are my clothes for the day.  Lots of bending over for me.  Nobody needs to see my booty.
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 I'm curious about this too!
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 I got some good fUll panel ones at old navy, I think after a sale they had going on they were about 20-25$ a pair. I still live in lulus I just fold them under the bump although that doesn't solve your full panel request.  I work at a gym so I need an insane amount of yoga pants/leggings that are most definitely not see through
  • Options
    @syssa-o I didn't even know old Navy had workout maternity pants.  Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 I got mine online at old navy too. They’re great quality and feel super supportive!
  • Options
    I second the Old Navy suggestion. I take classes at a local dance studio that does a range of fitness classes as well, and one of the instructors just had a baby. I asked her where she got hers (they were full panel) and she recommended Old Navy. 

DS:
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited September 2017
    I went into motherhood and got some nice ones for buy one get one half offand $10 off.  I can get you the info to get the $10 off if you guys are interested.  They are the performance leggings.  
  • Options
    What are you doing throughout the week to stay active?  I'm really not being active at all! Hopefully I'll start going on daily walks once the weather starts to cool down some. It's still 80 degrees here in Cincinnati!

Have you needed to modify your activity in any way? How?  I'm taking classes during the day which is sitting for 6 hours, and work as a host in the evening which is standing for 6 hours. Not much moving around in between, unfortunately. It's definitely a change from being a server.

What's the greatest challenge to staying active right now? Basically, making myself be physical after a long day when all I want to do is sleep.

What's your current favorite activity?  I'm getting back into reading and I love it!
    **If anyone has any suggestions for moderately easy pregnancy workouts, please share. I would like something more vigorous than walking, but don't feel like spending the money on a gym membership.
  • Options
    @sarahhedger7 you could put together some bodyweight circuits that would get your heart rate up a bit but be easy on your joints. I'm not sure where you're at in terms of movements, but here's an idea:

Repeat each exercise for 45 seconds and then rest for 15 seconds. Complete the circuit 3 times before moving onto the next group:
    A
    step back lunges, alt. legs
    bodyweight squats
    pushups (on your knees for comfort if you want)

B
    stairs (adjust speed for comfort)
    push up and reach (turn to the side and reach one arm up to the ceiling, alt. arms)
    jog in place (or high knees if it's comfortable)

C
    side lunges (alt. legs)
    squat and kick (forward kick as you stand, alt. legs)
    dips on a chair (emphasis on triceps and keeping elbows steady)

This would take 27 minutes if you watch the clock closely, but always be sure to adjust for comfort. You could always bring the active seconds down and increase your rest if you need it. I like doing circuits because it makes the time go by faster and doesn't get boring. I have a couple sets of bands and DBs at home that help me mix it up with more exercises than this, but this is a good start without needing anything but a staircase (or even a chair to step up).