February 2018 Moms
Options

Carseat/Honda Pilot question (or other similar SUV)

Hi Ladies, 

I have a Honda Pilot and would like to get all three kids in the middle row (none in the 3rd row)

DS1 will be 8 and is still in a booster (with a back)
DS2 will be 4 and is in a forward facing Britax marathon (possibly switching to a 5 point harness Britax, if we get this, we'll need to use the latch system)
LO3 will be in a graco snugride click connect (latch system)

I wouldn't mind if DS1 sat in the back but I'd have to put DS2 in the middle and LO behind the driver's seat to leave the 3rd seat open to bend forward. I will be driving to three locations twice a day and need to get 1-3 kids out per stop. 

Any savvy suggestions for space savers? We do not have the money currently for a van, but that will be what we're looking into in the next 18-24 months. 

Re: Carseat/Honda Pilot question (or other similar SUV)

• Options
    How heavy is your 4 y.o there is a weight limit for latch use , often around 40lb, at which point the seat belt must be used.

You can save more space by doing a belt install for the click connect since you can move it closer to the door, or doing a baseless install. 
    The britax is a fairly wide seat. Could you put Lo in the 3rd row and put him/her in through the trunk, or can your 8 y.o climb in through the back?
  • Options
    Good point, @GoogleMD.  The weight limit for latch is child plus car seat too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize there was a weight limit for the latch. I was looking into a 5 point harness seat for my 4 yo. I was assuming it used the latch but the seat goes up to 65 lbs... so that wouldn't make sense... I need to research more. 

My oldest can get in through the back. I'd love to keep them all in the middle row, but if I use the seat belt for my 4 yo, he will be able to do that himself and could sit in the back with my 8 yo. That would be a good solution. 

My 3.5 yo (will be 4 when baby is born) is 35 lbs currently. Sounds like I need to look into his seating arrangement. He is still fitting well in the Britax (with room to grow) but it is latched and it is a heavy car seat.
  • Options
    sabriel1sabriel1 member
    edited September 2017
    If your goal is really to keep them all in one row could you get a diono radian for your four year old? Some baby stores will let you take the floor model into your vehicle to see if the configuration will fit

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    It is not safe to put a 4 y.o seatbelt. It is not reccomended to put a child in a high back booster until a minimum of 5, 40lb and when they are mature enough to sit correctly 100% of the time(even sleeping)

I would reccomend doing a graco transition or wayz (slim harnessed boosters) secured with a seat belt on one side and baby on the other side, and your oldest in the middle. In order to get them all in 1 row. 

I know you said you prefer britax, they have some harnessed boosters but I don't think they are very slim. If you did decide to put your oldest in the back row, it wouldnt matter.