January 2018 Moms

Pregnancy Questions and Concerns: Week of 9/17-9/23

DS1: Nov. 2013
DS2: Jan. 2016
DS3: Dec. 2017
Baby #4 on the way!

Re: Pregnancy Questions and Concerns: Week of 9/17-9/23

• Anyone have any uncomfortable slightly painful Braxton Hicks lately? I'm 24 weeks + 4 and had them for about a half hour today. They were very low and wrapped around my lower back, accompanied by some nausea. I just kind of breathed through them and kept making lunch. Seem to have stopped. Not going to lie, I had some flashbacks to the start of labor there.

Also please feel free to point me to a prior discussion if I've missed it.
  • I have had a lot of BH lately too and some uncomfortable/crampy ones. I would say make sure you stay plenty hydrated and lie down for a little bit to see if that helps. Last pregnancy I went to L&D around 28 weeks bc I had too frequent BH and they had me drink 64oz of water in a hour and I was monitored for a few hrs- all was well and he didn't come out til 41 weeks (induced). If chugging water doesn't work a call to your Dr doesn't hurt 
  • Loading the player...
  • @jakobaby I have. I've had uncomfortable ones for a few weeks now. Maybe a handful of them a week. I mentioned it to the OB last week and she basically said empty my bladder and drink tons of water. I never had them with DD so it's new for me 
  • I get them pretty often. Water almost always helps, or going to the bathroom. If neither of those work, lying down for a bit does the trick!
  • Thanks all! I did drink a bunch of water and I think that is maybe what helped. @sbishop426 @burnsmommy27 @schaze
  • I got them too, starting today. It freaked me out quite a bit because last night DS accidentally elbowed me in the stomach pretty hard. Then to have the cramping today... I've been kind of a mess worrying about it. But no bleeding or spotting, and I've felt LO move a number of times today. I also drank like 100 oz. of water, so I'm guessing that helped, too. But yeah, I'd not experienced the painful BH yet. I'm relieved to read that others are going through it, too.
    BFP #1 4.2.12, M/C 4.12.12 @ 6 weeks :: BFP #2 10.20.12, EDD 6.25.13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes to the BH. Already over it. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never had them with DD, but this weekend, I think I had my first run-in with BH's. I felt really crampy...like "I need to poop" crampy, but I didn't actually need to poop. I just remember the start of labor feeling that way with DD, so it kind of freaked me out. I thought that BH's were just a "tightening" of the belly, so I don't know if what I experienced was BH's. Any insight?? They went away once I got off my feet, but it was not a pleasant experience!
  • @cyanope To me, BH felt exactly like a contraction without the pain. My belly would get rock hard for several seconds and then relax again. I didn't have any cramps with them so what you explained doesn't sound like BH to me but I could be wrong! 
  • @cyanope my BH don't feel "crampy" but they are definitely uncomfortable. I would keep an eye on it and give your doctor a call if need be. Like I said previously my doctor wasn't super concerned since they were very few
  • @cyanope, I've also never had crampy BH. Just the tightening. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Anecdotal curiosity: anyone with multiple kids observed any noticeable differences to the way they moved around in utero? I know my son wiggled and kicked, but I seem to remember him being pretty chill and lazy for the most part. This one, on the other hand, kicks hard enough to catch me off guard, seems to barrel roll around in there, and will punch at anything that's in her area. Waistband digging in a little? Punch it. Cat sitting on my stomach? Punch it. (The cat was not amused.)

I'm interested in seeing if it's that noticeably different between pregnancies for other people, or if maybe I've just forgotten Miles moving around. 
  • @cyanope I've had both BH (tightening) and also episodes of period-like cramping. With DD and also with this LO. My actual birthing waves also felt like period cramps. I basically felt crampy my entire last pregnancy (probably why I didn't know I was in labor last time).

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• @scatteringashes DS was crazy aggressive, constantly punching and trying to escape. This one so far is way more chill.  My sister said her boys were the same way, and it was reflected in their personalities.  Her first son actually kicked her back out when she was pregnant, then #2 was lazy and calm, as he was after he was born too. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @scatteringashes I have an anterior placenta, so I only feel this LO in very specific spots and not enought for comparison. However, my DD HATED being "touched."  If anyting was on my stomach, she'd kick or punch at it- waistbands, books, animals, or even the doppler.  My OB warned me that when they are that sassy in utero, they are typically sassy outside too. Mine definitely lived up to that. Haha
  • @scatteringashes I have/had an anterior placenta with both pregnancies but I've noticed that they are currently kicking and moving in the same places... although I feel her lower and "kicking my vag" as I so politely say to DH more than DS used to. But for the most part it feels similar, but earlier this time.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks, y'all! :D I've been assuming this one will turn out sassy, but time will tell.  

@supercoolstephy The vag kicking is the woooooorst. I was in a meeting on Friday and basically had to sit there like, "Nah, I'm cool, I'm feeling totally normal internal feelings right now." 

@maueraa07 I physically wincede at "kicked her back out." Yikes!
  • Can we talk weight gain? I gained 55lbs each with both DS and the surrogacy. This time around I feel like I'm doing exactly the same thing but I've only gained 8 lbs so far. I started out in a "normal" bmi range (don't get me started on the hatred for bmi and how outdated/not useful it is) for reference. 

I feel like a btdt mom for most things, but this is throwing me for a loop. The dr doesn't seem worried, so neither am I. I'm just curious to see if others have experienced such a stark contrast. 
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • @Eags I gained 55 lbs with DD and so far I've gained 16 lbs this pregnancy. I did start out somewhat thinner with DD. I'm not doing anything differently that I can tell.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Eags I struggled to gain with DD. I lost 10 pounds in 1st tri and had gained all that back plus 5 lbs by the time I gave birth. This time around, I lost 5 lbs and had finally gained that back at my last appointment 3 weeks ago, so I'm struggling again. So I guess no crazy contrast, but know that you aren't alone! My doc is of the mindset that as long as baby looks good, it's probably fine but they are keeping an eye on it and would be sending me for growth scans if this keeps up.
  • Thanks for all of the responses on BH's, ladies. Thankfully I haven't had any recurring episodes! 
    @Eags, my two pregnancies have been totally different on the weight gain. With DD, I only gained 18 pounds the entire time. With this pregnancy, I had gained 20 pounds by 24 weeks. The craziest part is that I've actually been eating MORE healthy this pregnancy...
  • @Eags I haven't gained much this pregnancy either but baby always measures on track so my OB isn't concerned. Last pregnancy I gained 25lbs and most of it was in the 3rd tri. I guess some of us have a slower start 
  • @auntieraindrop My son's current nickname is Thumper because when he gets moving, he is like Thumper from Bambi, moving his feet like crazy. 
  • @Eags I'm at 25 weeks right now and already gained 35lbs, its definitly concerning
  • @Eags I've gained less with each baby. DD1 I started out at 135lbs and gained 35. DD2 I started out about 138 and gained 22. This one I started out at 145 ( which put me slightly overweight according to bmi) and I'm up 9 lbs at almost 25 weeks. No rhyme or reason, I don't think I'm doing anything differently. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• So I've noticed a decrease in appetite the past week or so. Because of it, I'm just not eating as much food as I was before. I'm not overly concerned, but DH is giving me a hard time saying that just because I'm not hungry, doesn't mean baby isn't. Should I be concerned about this? Wouldn't my body tell me if I wasn't getting enough calories to feed both me and baby? 
  • @darkrose88 Appetite waxes and wanes throughout pregnancy for various reasons. I wouldn't be too concerned - your appetite will likely ramp up again next week ;)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Is eating a diet for gestational diabetes when you don't have gestational diabetes a bad thing? I know, I probably sound like a dummy for even asking this, but considering my weight and the fact that my OB is always sure that I'm going to fail my GD tests (which I passed last week), I'm still thinking it might be good for my body and weight to eat better and like that. I don't know that I'll even do it, but just curious what other people's thoughts were on it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is anyone planning on skipping the flu shot? 
  • @rc1014 I already commented on the appointment thread where you had mentioned how your dr was talking about it. I'm getting it. The CDC still recommends it for pregnant women, and I have a low immune system so anything to help, the better. Also, still making everyone in our house get it this time, especially the germy 13 yo step son. haha

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @RC1014 I'll be getting it and bugging DH to do it too, even though he hates needles. I'll take any protection it can give us, even if it's not a perfect match this year.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• I'm also getting the flu shot, @RC1014, as is DH. We both did for my last pregnancy (DD was born in January) as well. DD also just got her flu shot this week, so everyone in our house will be protected! 
  • @cyanope I keep asking about getting DS his shot and his pediatricians office wont even start scheduling them till October. Ugh. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @RC1014 I'm getting it, as I did with DS. I've also already requested that DH and grandparents get it too. DS got it at 6 months last year and he'll be getting is again too. Flu is no joke especially with the little ones. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @RC1014, already got it. 

We have a friend who lost her son to the flu. My entire family gets the shot every year. 

@supercoolstephy, there's nothing wrong with the GD diet even if you don't have it. I have a friend who was close to having GD last time so she started following the diet from the get go this time. She's lost a ton of weight and says she has more energy. She hopes to continue the diet post pregnancy, as well. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @RC1014 Just got mine at my 22 week appointment this AM. 
  • @RC1014 already got it. And I'll be making all family members coming in contact with LO get it (and have an updated tdap)

@supercoolstephy that's crazy you can't get it yet, my kids office had it at the end of august! Also, another +1 for their being no harm in following GD diet even if you're negative.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • @RC1014 I am not getting the flu shot. I got it for the first time last year as a pre employment requirement. 4 hours after getting it is ended up in the ER with a very severe reaction. I also have asthma so they had to give me steroids and treatments and take home oral steriods. Not something I want to do pregnant. Everyone else on the house will be getting the flu shot though