January 2018 Moms

FFFC

2»

Re: FFFC

• edited September 2017
    Dani0329 said:

As for the lifestyle, I just prefer a people first language. I would never say an autistic child, aphasic patient, gay person, vegan person, etc. Instead, I say a child with autism, a patient with a aphasia, my friend that is gay, my friend who is a vegan, etc. I think this promotes understanding that this is just one part of a much bigger person. I know everyone does not feel the same.
    I LOVE THIS! And agree wholeheartedly. I'm going to try and start really focusing before I say something to make sure it's coming out like this... if it's even applicable to what I'm saying. 
  • I like person-first language too, but I've read some pieces from the autism community (mostly Tumblr) where "autistic person" IS preferred, bc they consider it an intrinsic part of their identity and part of who they "are", and not an affliction or something that they "have". So I guess just, if you meet someone from a particular group and they prefer descriptive-first, just go with what they're telling you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Loading the player...
  • Dani0329Dani0329 member
    edited September 2017
    @bainidhedub
    I have met people who do not prefer person first language. In those cases I would follow their lead, but it doesn't normally impact the conversation because when you are speaking with them you call them by name. In most cases a descriptor is not needed. I haven't had that experience a lot though!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @beans17 as a Californian living in the south I am appalled by the things I hear, and I live in the more accepting part of the state. It's really sad. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Dani0329 I definitely agree with using person-first language, especially since I work in mental health. I cringe when I hear terms like "schizophrenics."

@beans17 @supercoolstephy Yankee living in the south here too. I have to walk around with blinders on a lot to avoid getting angry all of the time.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• beans17 said:
    Dani0329 said:
    As for the lifestyle, I just prefer a people first language. I would never say an autistic child, aphasic patient, gay person, vegan person, etc. Instead, I say a child with autism, a patient with a aphasia, my friend that is gay, my friend who is a vegan, etc. I think this promotes understanding that this is just one part of a much bigger person. I know everyone does not feel the same.
    This is how I feel. As a yankee now living in the south I *constantly* find myself asking my husband "Why does it matter that it was a black guy???" I mean unless your descriptor of a person is highly pertinent to the conversation, why use it? If you're telling me about how your neighbor is a jerk because they let their dog go to the bathroom on your lawn, why do I need to know that they live with autism/that they're gay/that they're Asian?
    I think that is a southern thing.  My mother was a southerner but has lived in CA 54 years and still talks that way.  All ways using a descriptor first  for non white people.  Black man,  Mexican lady,  etc. Where I live in NY, it's  not something you hear.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • @mamaof5already agree. my grandmother is a southerner who's been in CA for about the same amount of time and talks that way too. My dad is also a southerner in CA but I think he was young enough, 18, to break that habit because he does not speak in descriptor first.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited September 2017
    I'm sorry if it upsets people (what I find humorous sometimes does) but this whole conversation reminds me of a Bill Burr skit. You have to get to about 2:20 in the video for it to become relevant to this conversation. *edit to add there is a lot of cursing in his comedy... forewarning* 

https://youtu.be/Iqq7O2HqTUk