May 2018 Moms
Options

STMs: Best and Worst Baby Gear Buys

Re: STMs: Best and Worst Baby Gear Buys

• Options
    Agree to disagree on books, @cups4 ;)
    What I find "gift grabby" on baby shower invitations is requiring a package of diapers. I've had one say it was required for entry. Bitch, this is at your house, this ain't no damn club with a cover charge. Usually I see them as "optional" for a raffle. But, yeah, I don't like being told exactly what extra to bring. 
    Since I cloth diapered I was pissed when people gifted me sposies anyway. I returned all of them. We did the book thing, and people brought cards anyway. I've made up for it because I buy J a new book once a week at Barnes and noble.
  • Options
    @molly1108-2 Flour Sack Towles from Walmart. We used those as diaper inserts until we introduced solids, and they're less then $0.10 a piece! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I loved my rocka roo thing, it was nice to have a safe place to stick baby when I had to pee!
    I also cloth diaper, and I love my wipe warmer for my cloth wipes ( they're just baby wash cloths with water), but I agree it would be useless for regular wipes.
    Baby carriers/wraps were awesome for the first year. I have the ergo 360, Moby, and baby ktan. Liked them all for different things.
    Boppy for nursing and baby propping, snoogle for pregnant sleeping!

I never used baby shoes, multi-piece newborn outfits, shopping cart cover, swaddles (gasp), the crib (*cries*), most bottles since I breastfed, or the pack n play since we have a one level house and she just slept in my bed when we traveled.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @ivyvines6 We never had a Bumbo, but my DD threw herself out of one in the church nursery and landed head first. The bumbo was sitting directly on the floor but it was just carpeted concrete. So sad! I cringe when I see people with babies in bumbos sitting up high on counters and tables. 

My my top three:
    1. Sleep gown/swaddle me combo for night time. Then moved up to a zipadee zip.
    2. Pack and play plus changing area.
    3. Sleep easy sound machine (knock off dohm. We have bought three and all are still going strong after 1-2 years).

Worst:
    1. $100 baby Bjorn bouncy seat. Just get a cheaper one that actually has toys attached to it. 
    2. Baby shoes. We really didn't wear them until 1 year. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Best

1. Saline to go w the nose Frieda.  Use your saline religiously and you won't have to use the nose Frieda as much!  
    2.  Soft close door thing for stealthy escapes... I loved this especially later in the first year.
    3.  Lecithin:  for moms who pump/nurse and are plagued w blocked ducts.  It's a supplement I hope to not need this time around.
    4.  Fisher Price rock n play portable bassinet.  So lightweight, sturdy and durable and maybe you can move it while your child is sleeping.  Not that I ever did that.
    5. Mom to mom sales:  yes, it's not an "item", but this was the best way to shop for NB, 0-3 sizes (ok, I'm still a fan at 22mos).  You spend practically nothing and the clothes are typically new from moms who never had a chance to use them.  Winning!!  Better yet, once baby comes send in your husband baby-wearing your child at the end of a sale.   You Will Get Free Everything.  We didn't plan it, it just happens.  Every.  Time.  
    6. Pacifier clip!

Worst

1.  Complicated outfits, snaps
    2.  Toys 
    3.  Warmers for bottles or wipes.  Heat up water if you have to in an electric tea kettle/microwave, then warm in a big mug.  That way if you spill its super easy clean up.  
    fail halloween fall costume minions GIF
  • Options
    @yesthisiskim0401 I agree, I actually love the book idea. You can easily get a book for the same price as a card. 
  • Options
    cups4 said:
    I don't save cards either but books are pricey too considering people are already buying you a gift. I don't care who throws you a shower or enjoy that fight either (which I'm sure is coming soon enough lol), but I think it looks like you're asking for multiple gifts. 
    I love that we got so many books. Board books can be way cheaper than most cards so I never saw it as an extra gift. Some people wrote nice little notes to baby in the inside cover and I think DD will enjoy that as she gets older. And those notes will last way longer than any card we would have been given. Totally a personal preference though. Most of our guests were excited to share their favorite childhood books with us. 
  • Options
    cups4 said:
    @yesthisiskim0401 noooooo. I like you  ;)
    I like you, too 

• Options
    Forgot to say that snap sleepers are the worst. Fighting to line up snaps when you are sleep deprived at 3 am in the dark is torture. Zippers for the win!

And regular sleep sacks, not the kind that swaddle are my daughter's favorite thing. It's a wearable blanky basically. We had a couple fuzzy ones for winter and muslin and cotton ones for summer. She's 15 months now and it's seriously her lovey. She even soothes herself by chewing/sucking on the corner (gross but it means she isn't losing a pacifier through the crib slats so at least there's that).  
  • Options
    Whew lots of good ones listed ladies!! I'll try not to be a repeat offender  :#

BEST:
    1. Baby Bjorn Travel Crib: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V0VSEQA/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl?ie=UTF8&colid=GLE4DB8JJ8LP&coliid=I1WNAO68MZUX7Y&vs=1
    We traveled SO much (and still do) and this has been a lifesaver for us. The quality is absolutely worth the price tag. 

2. A tummy time mat and mirror. We had a nice plushy activity gym which was great for the first couple months, but LO outgrew it quickly and we needed something else for tummy time that was supportive and also soft. Get a large foam mat (this is the one I bought, but of course no longer available womp womp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00INS2P8Q?colid=GLE4DB8JJ8LP&coliid=I23HFKNL17DWQV) and a standalone mirror--they just love to stare at themselves and its a great motivator ;)

3. Zipadeezip. Someone else already listed this but its seriously worth the re-mention. This was the BEST solution for transitioning out of the swaddle for us. We still use one now because DS is a mover and a shaker, and his little hands and feet get cold at night!

WORST:
    1. ANY CLOTHES WITH BUTTONS. Seriously, just buy footed pajamas with zippers and call it a day. 
    2. Baby Bjorn bouncer. Probably an unpopular opinion, but my kid absolutely DESPISED this thing. Wouldn't stay in it for more than 5 minutes at a time.
    3. Snuza Hero Baby Movement monitor. *TW* I read so many horror stories about SIDS and was convinced I would use this every night. Nope, not once. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    zaclina said:
    Best

1. Saline to go w the nose Frieda.  Use your saline religiously and you won't have to use the nose Frieda as much!  
    2.  Soft close door thing for stealthy escapes... I loved this especially later in the first year.
    3.  Lecithin:  for moms who pump/nurse and are plagued w blocked ducts.  It's a supplement I hope to not need this time around.
    4.  Fisher Price rock n play portable bassinet.  So lightweight, sturdy and durable and maybe you can move it while your child is sleeping.  Not that I ever did that.
    5. Mom to mom sales:  yes, it's not an "item", but this was the best way to shop for NB, 0-3 sizes (ok, I'm still a fan at 22mos).  You spend practically nothing and the clothes are typically new from moms who never had a chance to use them.  Winning!!  Better yet, once baby comes send in your husband baby-wearing your child at the end of a sale.   You Will Get Free Everything.  We didn't plan it, it just happens.  Every.  Time.  
    6. Pacifier clip!

Worst

2.  Toys 
    3.  Warmers for bottles or wipes.  Heat up water if you have to in an electric tea kettle/microwave, then warm in a big mug.  That way if you spill its super easy clean up.  
    @zaclina tell me more about this soft door close thing for stealthy escapes. I think I need one on every door in my entire house- RIGHT NOW!
  • Options
    k5678 said:
    zaclina said:
    Best

6. Pacifier clip!

Worst

2.  Toys 
    @zaclina tell me more about this soft door close thing for stealthy escapes. I think I need one on every door in my entire house- RIGHT NOW!
    Same. Currently stuck hiding under a blanket in the glider while DD sings in her crib to keep herself up. 
  • Options
    I feel like I'm just going to be adding a +1 to what a lot of mamas have said. Tula (baby carrier), muslin blankets, and wubbanubs were life savers in my book. Also the rock and play and the keyboard play mat where the baby can kick the shit out of the keys and make noise for ever. My kiddo FLOVED that thing. I was so sad when she became mobile and stopped using it. Backpack diaper bag (JU JU BE!!!!!) is a life saver. Infant bucket seat rocks and makes schlepping your spawn around so much easier.  

For post-partum moms - granny panties for when your bleeding slows down. Depends or the super sexy mesh hospital underwear for about the first week. Dermaplast for your swollen, angry vag flaps. Nipple pads and script nipple cream for when you want to rip your tits off when your milk comes in/you spawn demolishes your lady lumps. Dry shampoo - let's be real here, your days of leisurely showers are over. Dry shampoo is your bew best friend. Buy 10 bottles. Extra set of sheets so you can change them everyday after they get gross with breast milk, spit up, crap from you or the kid, blood, new mother's tears, and all the sweat you'll be pouring for weeks while your hormones balance out. Your husband's sweat pants and nursing tanks - unless you're good with tits out, cause, really, you're gonna be tits out 90% of your day anyway so, meh. Netflix/Hulu -- you'll binge watch shows while you sit holding your new, amazing smelling squish for hours and hours. It's okay - we all did it. No need to hide it. 

Dock-a-tot, mamaroo, boppy, and pumping bras were crap. I cut slits in an old sports bra and it did the job for pumping for nothing. The boppy was a pain in the ass to carry around and I never had it where I needed it.  Honestly, 95% of the shit you'll buy and/or receive is going to be clutter about 30 seconds after you bring them home. The newborn squish mode last for all of a blink of an eye in comparison to the mobile, opinionated, tantruming toddler years. Buy me baby gates, puffs/cheerios, and Sesame Street episodes ad nauseam and I can mom for weeks. 

For mom: those cute birthing dress thing-a-doos. Yeah, giving birth is hot, sweaty, and bloody AF.  Use the hospital gowns, for real. You're never going to wear that pretty gown at home or ever again so really, save the $50 and buy yourself a case or two of wine. You'll need that more than a cutesy gown, guarantee. Your pretty, lacy thongs. You won't want that scratchy racetrack of fabric coming anywhere near your fleshy funbridge for a LOOOOOONG time. Put them away for a good long while- maybe forever. Same goes for your lacey, sexy bras. You're going to want to whip out the milk machine in 3 seconds so they just aren't practical for say, a year? OR two. 

Motherhood is the hands down best thing I've ever done with my life - but I'm all about keeping it 100%. It ain't pretty most of the time, it's messy, it's exhausting, it's thankless often times, and you won't be the mom you picture in your head. You will be the mom your kid needs and, if you stay flexible, you're going to rock the fuck out of this new gig you got going. 
    I would have so preferred a gown to the hospital provided one that someone may have died in the day before... :D 
  • Options
    @ivyvines6 holy crap I had never made that connection. Ill be splurging and getting myself a delivery gown  :D

• Options
    Oh and don't buy more than one cute/impractical outfit IMO. Some people get babies that don't mind playing dress up but some people get babies that crazy scream and/explosively spitup anytime thier cloths are changed.... just saying 1000000x plain white onesies FTW. 
  • Options
    @mrsmtothek love your first recommendation for the travel crib!

if anyone else has any good thoughts for mamas who will be traveling a lot, please post! We travel about 2 hours from home once or twice a month. We plan to continue to do that once baby arrives. We also have two dogs. So first up is a bigger car hahah. ANY recommendations for traveling gear would be wonderful! 
  • Options
    @thedawkterswife @ivyvines6 I was totally grossed out when DH told me they reuse the gowns and bought a nightgown from Target to wear. When I got to the hospital, my back labor was so bad I gave zero craps about the hospital gown. I did end up using it after because I had the sweats really bad after delivery and the hospital gowns are thick and don't breathe, so it wasn't a total waste. 
  • Options
    ivyvines6 said:
    I feel like I'm just going to be adding a +1 to what a lot of mamas have said. Tula (baby carrier), muslin blankets, and wubbanubs were life savers in my book. Also the rock and play and the keyboard play mat where the baby can kick the shit out of the keys and make noise for ever. My kiddo FLOVED that thing. I was so sad when she became mobile and stopped using it. Backpack diaper bag (JU JU BE!!!!!) is a life saver. Infant bucket seat rocks and makes schlepping your spawn around so much easier.  

For post-partum moms - granny panties for when your bleeding slows down. Depends or the super sexy mesh hospital underwear for about the first week. Dermaplast for your swollen, angry vag flaps. Nipple pads and script nipple cream for when you want to rip your tits off when your milk comes in/you spawn demolishes your lady lumps. Dry shampoo - let's be real here, your days of leisurely showers are over. Dry shampoo is your bew best friend. Buy 10 bottles. Extra set of sheets so you can change them everyday after they get gross with breast milk, spit up, crap from you or the kid, blood, new mother's tears, and all the sweat you'll be pouring for weeks while your hormones balance out. Your husband's sweat pants and nursing tanks - unless you're good with tits out, cause, really, you're gonna be tits out 90% of your day anyway so, meh. Netflix/Hulu -- you'll binge watch shows while you sit holding your new, amazing smelling squish for hours and hours. It's okay - we all did it. No need to hide it. 

Dock-a-tot, mamaroo, boppy, and pumping bras were crap. I cut slits in an old sports bra and it did the job for pumping for nothing. The boppy was a pain in the ass to carry around and I never had it where I needed it.  Honestly, 95% of the shit you'll buy and/or receive is going to be clutter about 30 seconds after you bring them home. The newborn squish mode last for all of a blink of an eye in comparison to the mobile, opinionated, tantruming toddler years. Buy me baby gates, puffs/cheerios, and Sesame Street episodes ad nauseam and I can mom for weeks. 

For mom: those cute birthing dress thing-a-doos. Yeah, giving birth is hot, sweaty, and bloody AF.  Use the hospital gowns, for real. You're never going to wear that pretty gown at home or ever again so really, save the $50 and buy yourself a case or two of wine. You'll need that more than a cutesy gown, guarantee. Your pretty, lacy thongs. You won't want that scratchy racetrack of fabric coming anywhere near your fleshy funbridge for a LOOOOOONG time. Put them away for a good long while- maybe forever. Same goes for your lacey, sexy bras. You're going to want to whip out the milk machine in 3 seconds so they just aren't practical for say, a year? OR two. 

Motherhood is the hands down best thing I've ever done with my life - but I'm all about keeping it 100%. It ain't pretty most of the time, it's messy, it's exhausting, it's thankless often times, and you won't be the mom you picture in your head. You will be the mom your kid needs and, if you stay flexible, you're going to rock the fuck out of this new gig you got going. 
    I would have so preferred a gown to the hospital provided one that someone may have died in the day before... :D 

If a gown someone could have died in freaks you out, don't think about the mattress you're delivering on or sleeping on, or the sheets, or the pillow, or the towels! Lol 

I promise you, those items are sterilized and cleaned beyond thoroughly. But if a pretty gown is your thing, aint my money! Rofl!!! But seriously, 100 people have 100 different opinions. You always need to so whatever makes you happiest. 
     Well I'm definitely not planning on a hospital birth this time so my previous experience was not a pleasant one anyway. It's less about the germs for me and more about the vibes from an object someone died wearing or using. How's that for some hippie bullshit? :tongue:
  • Options
    @mrsmtothek

thank you! 
  • Options
    ivyvines6 said:
    @molly1108-2 Flour Sack Towles from Walmart. We used those as diaper inserts until we introduced solids, and they're less then $0.10 a piece! 
    I still use them as flats!

As far as delivery gown... Yeah I just deliver naked.  And afterwards I just wear comfy clothes.
    Yeah naked is the way to go. But after delivery I did have a few nightgowns I used that buttoned down the front for easy boob access. I will do that again. I wore them all throughout nursing and so it was definitely not a one time deal for me. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    My first kid is 4, so some of this stuff may be outdated, but ...Best:  Rock n Play (some kids hate it, though! but it was the only thing my baby would sleep in for the first couple of months); a Beco baby carrier (I never figured out the wraps, and we used a Baby Bjorn at first but then learned that the leg positioning wasn't great for the baby's hips); cute zip-up footie pajamas for fall (we're a city family and it was SO much easier to put on a one-piece outfit and pop her into the carrier--socks always fell off!). Worst: newborn/pre-crawling baby shoes; outfits that didn't allow for easy diaper changes; the "breathable bumpers" I bought in a panic when I thought she would NEVER learn to stop rolling around and waking herself up (she did learn, and we never used the bumpers).
  • Options
    Best: Rock n Play. I didn't want one, but got one as a gift, and it was the best thing ever!
    Runner Up: Snugabunny swing. It plugs in, no need for Batteries!
    Runner Up: Excersaucer. My kid LOVED it. She loved to stand at an early age (started walking at an early age too!) so this was good for her, and gave me some free space. 

Worst: Diaper Genie. We just tossed them in the trash after awhile. 
    Runner Up: Bouncer. Kid never used it. 
    Runner Up: Baby bath. Used it once.
    Bonus Runner Up: bumbo. My kiddo had thick thighs, and never fit well in it. 
    2/12: 100 mg Clomid + Bravelle last minute+ back to back IUI. BFN
    3/12 150mg Clomid + B2B IUI =BFP!! TWINS!
    Vanishing twin at week 6
    Tater-tot born January 3rd 2013

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    k5678 said:
    zaclina said:
    Best

6. Pacifier clip!

Worst

2.  Toys 
    Haha, ok!!

It's called the Cushy Closer. On sale on etsy for $10 but worth its weight in gold in our house.  
    fail halloween fall costume minions GIF
  • Options
    As far as delivery gown... Yeah I just deliver naked.  And afterwards I just wear comfy clothes.
    This! Why in the world would you wear anything at all? And after, I just put on strechy pants and shirts with boob access. 
  • Options
    This! Why in the world would you wear anything at all? And after, I just put on strechy pants and shirts with boob access. 
    I'm more than likely going to. The hospital had arbitrary rules for things and wearing their gown was a requirement. 
  • Options
    @mrsmtothek As soon as I read what you wrote, I went and bought a snoofybee.  We've just started to have problems with busy hands, so I NEED this.  I'm a little worried that my DD will be too big, but we'll soon find out!

• Options
    Ok some essentials were: swaddle me swaddle, a bouncy chair, a carrier (especially for #2 since you're chasing after #1), pack n play was also used way more for #2, a pumping bra, a glider, a changing table.

I never bothered with a wipe warmer or bottle warmer. I figured what's the point, when we're out they'll have to get used to whatever temp it is. My son loves pacifiers, but my daughter dropped them pretty quickly. We used the mittens for #1 but didn't bother for #2. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 32
    DH: 36
    Married: 10/29/2011
    Baby T: 2/24/2013
    Baby H: 5/12/2016