Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Mental Health Check-in for the First Half of September

***This thread has a general trigger warning.*** 
There was some discussion in the Healthy Habits check-in about a mental health thread. Weekly seemed like it wasn't being used and monthly wasn't frequent enough, so what if we try bi-monthly (start one on the 1st of the month and then around the 16th?) Let's give it a shot.

This thread is a safe place for members to discuss their mental health, struggles, and successes while on the TTGP Board. This post can be replied to at any time during the month. Not limited to those with a diagnosis, but please be sensitive to others. We will attempt to be as flame free as possible!

Feel free to share, vent, or support other members on this thread. Share a picture/gif that expresses how you feel or provides some comfort. 
If you need help getting started, try filling out the form below:
Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:

Status (WTO/TWW/Benched/TTA):

How are you feeling?

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.)

Re: Mental Health Check-in for the First Half of September

• Options
    Thought I'd start this up for September, as I need a check in and I'm sure others do as well!

Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?: No diagnosis, just dealing with the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with ttc.

Status (WTO/TWW/Benched/TTA): WTO, but waiting on crosshairs, so nearly TWW

How are you feeling? I was feeling pretty good until I ventured onto facebook. Saw another pregnancy announcement, from someone I went to grad school with, and that hit me pretty hard. I think this brings the count of people I know who are pregnant or have recently had babies up to 17. This combined with the nurse at the doctors office yesterday telling me how easily she got ku has me feeling pretty sad.

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.) I'm not in treatment right now, but I may seek out a counselor if this cycle isn't the one.
  • Options
    @darkstar42 I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough day. Facebook is a dangerous place. In general I think we could all use some breaks from it to maintain perspective. People only share the good things on SM and it can lead us down a slippery slope of comparing yourself to others. Take a step back to focus on all the things you are blessed with and take some time for self love/care. 

That nurse should know better. I think it would be good to share this with the office as both a learning experience for her but also it might help to write down how that made you feel. 

I hope you feel better soon. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?: PCOS and Anovulatory cycles. 

Status (WTO/TWW/Benched/TTA): WTO

How are you feeling? Stressed and sad. I am waiting to see if my first round of clomid works or if my body still wont ovulate. It seems like everyone and their mother is pregnant and any time I mention struggles it gets pushed aside since I am too young. To top it off one of my good friends is pregnant and she complaints to me constantly. 

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.) I am just having a rough day it is cycle day 9 I am still on my period and feel like it will never end and I will never get pregnant. 

@darkstar42 I am sorry you are having a rough day too. Facebook really sucks lately with all the pregnancy announcements. 

ETA: Sorry if I missed the diagnosis referring to mental health and not fertility. I was diagnosed with depression years ago.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:. Currently experiencing a MMC, and I stopped having natural cycles in January.

Status (WTO/TWW/Benched/TTA):. Benched

How are you feeling?  I have ups and downs.  I scheduled a D&C yesterday, so I like knowing there is an end in sight, at the same time, I hate it.  I am anxious to get TTC again, and am hoping I am not benched for too long.  Trying to remain positive that I responded well to clomid and was "successful" on my 2nd cycle.

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.) 
    Right now, just having a rough day, but I really need to go to counseling or something.  I am generally not dealing well with life, my brother died in December too, and we are currently staying with relatives because we sold our house quickly and haven't found anything we like.

@darkstar42, I get your sentiments about Facebook, I had to unfollow many people the last week. Hopefully it won't be necessary, but GL if you seek out a counselor.

@StephieBears88, good luck with your clomid cycle, fx you O!
  • Options
    @krashke Thank you so much for the support. You are right that social media facilitates comparing ourselves to others in ways that can be really unhealthy. I'm still undecided on whether I want to say anything to the doctor's office or not. If it was as the gynecologist I totally would, but this was my GP. I'll keep thinking about it.
    @StephieBears88 That sucks that you're having a rough day too. I hope you get to take time to take care of yourself over the weekend. We all need to be extra kind to ourselves through this process.
    @holly321 I'm so sorry for the losses you are dealing with, both with your MC and your brother. *hugs* I definitely found it useful to see a counselor when my father passed away. One thing that I would recommend is to check out multiple counselors to find one that works for you. Often therapists will offer a free first session or introductory meeting so that you can explore your options.
  • Options
    @holly321 I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It does sound like counseling will be a good thing and I hope you find a good therapist. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @izza2 I'm so sorry you're going through so much right now. I don't really have any advice to give you but I wish I did. That's terrible that your NP rushed through your appointment and didn't take your concerns to heart. My friend suffers from bad anxiety and started seeing a counselor recently. She said it's been really helpful. Have you considered that? Sorry if I'm overstepping by asking that. I don't mean to. I'm sorry that on top of everything you struggle with self esteem issues too and your H has been making it harder on you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hope you find a way to get through this.
    Also wanted to say that you are absolutely not a failure. It's so easy to try to make everything better all at once but I try to remind myself to focus on just one thing at a time. Have you heard of Brene Brown? She has TEDtalks and several books on shame and vulnerability that are great. One of them I read recently, called The Gifts of Imperfection, was really awesome. 
    I'll stop now...again, sorry if I said too much! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    @izza2 I'm so sorry you're going through so much right now. I don't really have any advice to give you but I wish I did. That's terrible that your NP rushed through your appointment and didn't take your concerns to heart. My friend suffers from bad anxiety and started seeing a counselor recently. She said it's been really helpful. Have you considered that? Sorry if I'm overstepping by asking that. I don't mean to. I'm sorry that on top of everything you struggle with self esteem issues too and your H has been making it harder on you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hope you find a way to get through this.
    Also wanted to say that you are absolutely not a failure. It's so easy to try to make everything better all at once but I try to remind myself to focus on just one thing at a time. Have you heard of Brene Brown? She has TEDtalks and several books on shame and vulnerability that are great. One of them I read recently, called The Gifts of Imperfection, was really awesome. 
    I'll stop now...again, sorry if I said too much! 
    No, trust me, you're not overstepping your boundaries :heart: I've looked in to therapy, and contacted my insurance for coverage information. Our co-pay is decently high, unfortunately, and right this moment with my classes just starting and DSS's school starting this week - it's not the best time for me to add something else to our bills. I'm also slightly hesitant because I went to therapy a couple of years ago through the college I used to attend, and it was absolutely the worst experience ever. I told her repeatedly I needed help with coping mechanisms and generally changing my mindset, and she really focused on communication with H. Which was helpful, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't something that I really needed at that time. There were 3 other therapists in the office, but the only one that saw patients at the times I didn't have classes was always fully booked, so I couldn't even switch to try someone new. It kind of put me off therapy for a while, before I realized she probably wasn't really my best option for things that didn't directly correlate to relationships and school. That's what they primarily see/treat.

I've never heard of Brene Brown, but I'll definitely have to look in to her now. Thank you so much!

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @pebbledam and @icecubeinthedesert Thank you. My intention was absolutely for this iteration of the thread to focus on mental health issues, and I really appreciate both of you clarifying that. Looking back at my own post, I realize I that what I wrote focused on what had happened to trigger my feelings (possibly more appropriate as a rant in the dailies), rather than on what I was actually feeling. It can be hard to write about the feelings, but this thread should indeed be the place for that.

I think what I'm noticing in myself is that as the months of ttc stack up I'm having an increasingly hard time responding to setbacks as I normally would. I've dealt with depression in the past, and I worry that I'm heading that way again. Rather than just feeling sad, I'm feeling more and more hopeless. I do have a therapist I've seen in the past who I can hopefully seek out again if I need to, but just like @icecubeinthedesert said, I keep thinking I'll get ku soon, so what's the point? I'm getting to the point now though, where I think I'll set up an appointment if this cycle doesn't work out.

@izza2 *hugs* I'm so sorry you're struggling right now. That doctors appointment sounds awful. When you see your regular doctor, are you comfortable sharing that experience with her? She should know that one of her colleagues treated you so poorly. Your work situation sounds so stressful, but I'm glad you were able to take some steps to relieve some of the work anxiety. I hope that helps a bit. Is there a possibility of seeing a counselor with YH? I'm not trying to provide a diagnosis or anything, but it sounds like you are both trying to cope with stress in ways that are somewhat incompatible.
  • Options
    @izza2 *hugs* I'm so sorry you're struggling right now. That doctors appointment sounds awful. When you see your regular doctor, are you comfortable sharing that experience with her? She should know that one of her colleagues treated you so poorly. Your work situation sounds so stressful, but I'm glad you were able to take some steps to relieve some of the work anxiety. I hope that helps a bit. Is there a possibility of seeing a counselor with YH? I'm not trying to provide a diagnosis or anything, but it sounds like you are both trying to cope with stress in ways that are somewhat incompatible.
    Oh, absolutely. I love my regular doctor. She's always very thorough, willing to spend extra time if it's needed, etc. She's great. I fully plan to mention it to her when I do set up an appt to see her. I don't know who I have to talk to, but I'll be making it very clear that I never want to be scheduled with the other NP again.
    H and I have talked about joint/couples-counseling previously. At times he's interested and wants to do it, other times he's completely opposed. I've tried finding counselors that are right in town so that we could go right after work or something, and there's pretty much no one closer than half an hour away that does couples counseling. One of the cons of living in a rural area.

PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    jrm_14jrm_14 member
    edited September 2017
    @izza2. ((hugs)  First, you are more than enough to be prioritzed and loved by YH.  A lot of what you wrote parallels MH & my's relationship and it plain sucks.  I am glad you felt somewhat better after writing it out.  Counselors are all different & it sounds like you had a rough experience with one. I second Brene Brown.  Additionally, self-help books can be super beneficial. (DBT and ACT skills are two of my favorites!)  I self-sabotage with MH at times.  I have set him up so he can have a chance to choose me over his friends & if he doesn't , it validates the depression/anxiety. That sounds awful to others who haven't been in that position,yet is is so awful to feel like you are feeling.  Oh, and more ((hugs)).  

@darkstar42.  You did a great job looking back &realizing you are having a more difficult time responding to situations as TTC progresses.  Being mindful of your symptoms and red flags for relapse is so important.  Getting into the therapist for a booster session BEFORE you completely feel lost in depression again may be helpful.  Hugs to you, too.

My PSA for the day:  If you decide to seek counseling in the future, you may look under psychologist, counselors, as well clinical social workers.  All 3 professions are similar, yet somehat different in approaching MI & treatment.  Employers often have employee assistance programs (EAP) that offer anywhere from 2-10 free sessions.  I loved @icecubeinthedesert 's notion of why the hesitation to schedule?  Why not schedule an appointment & cancel of need be?  I've seen this worksheet before in a self-help book that has you list all your barriers/excuses, what you can do to remedy them, and create and action plan.  This doesn't work for everyone.  When I see my excuses written down, I tend to get more motivated because I see them as excuses.  

I have MDD and a hx of an ED.  TD;DR: I feel defeated with my antidepressant dosage.  I am over eating in response to stress and emotions,  
     I went down on my dosage in May, again in June, and again in August.  When I went down in August, I felt a major shift.  I was not being the person I like, I was going to bed immediately after I arrived home in the evenings, crying daily, nitpicking my husband, falling behind at work as I was unmotivated, isolating from irl friends.  Anyways, I finally admitted to MH that maybe I needed to go back up on the dosage.  He suggested I wait it out at least another month.  I feel like maybe he suggested this knowing the guilt I feel, or wanted to validate me in giving it a "good enough" try.  However, it made me feel like even more of a failure.  Ultimently, I chose to go back up and know it was for the best.  I feel so guilty and scared and worried about my autoimmune medication.  Even though I know MDD is serious, I can't help but listen to the nonsensical reasons mental vs physical illness treatment "should" be different.  
    Additionally, I joke about it, but I've seriously been eating my feelings the past month.  Now, mountains of pounds later, I feel unattractive and unlovable because of it at times.  

There you have it.  Mental illness is real. And it impacts so.freaking.many "everyday" people.  Yet, it is still so stigmatized.  It is much appreciated @pebbledam and @icecubeinthedesert reiterated the purpose of this thread. 

ETA:  because I will never type correctly the first time.
  • Options
    Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?: chronic depression and PPA

Status (WTO/TWW/Benched/TTA): TWW

How are you feeling? On the brink of another depression episode but I don't think I'm in danger yet of out being severe, unmotivated to do daily tasks, just completely overwhelmed

Backstory:

I have struggled for years with depression. My mother is bipolar and has severe manic depression...i spent most of my highschool years caring for her as my dad was a contractor in Iraq for five years, and I was the only child left at home. She has the mentality of a 15 year old, and has no coping mechanisms at all. So I feel like I learned a lot of my bad coping habits from her, and always thought they were normal till I realized they were far from it. My earliest episode was my freshman year of highschool. I quit eating, quit self care, and generally didnt get out of bed except to go to school....Here I am 15 years later and still trying to find my happiness. I dont want it to sound like im never happy, because I am, but I always have that nagging heavy feeling in the back of my mind. That black hole...its exhausting trying to stay focused and talk yourself out of all the self hate and detrimental thoughts all the time. 

Currently:

Not medicated, but seriously considering something for my anxiety. I've started having panic attacks in public. I get dizzy, sweaty, heart racing, and feel like I want to scream in crowds. My latest one was a few weeks ago. We were at a popular tourist site and we were climbing these steep stairs, and someone nudged my back by accident at about the halfway point, and I just froze....Like couldn't move. I felt like I was going to pass out and I just started bawling. I had a white knuckle grip on the banister, and didn't move for about five minutes. My husband had to come back for me. It was so embarrassing later. I also tend to have them in the grocery store. Nothing like bawling your eyes out in the produce department! I've also started a nasty habit from my younger days where I constantly pick at my lips, and tear skin off them until they bleed...ugh. I'm a mess. 

I've been having a rough few days on the depression front but I know myself well enough that I don't think I'm on the verge of a major episode yet as long as I can get it under control. I think it mainly is coming from school starting back up for me, work trips and a new position for my husband, and being away from family for nine months now...our military lifestyle is not for the faint hearted for sure. It's incredibly isolating, and even more so when you can't leave your house for fear of having another panic attack.

I think medication would probably benefit me greatly but I have such guilt over it. My husband's job is one that if anyone is on depression or anxiety meds in the family, it limits him career wise because of security clearance reasons....He's told me before that he doesn't care, and that he wants me to get what I need....but still. I feel terrible about the possibility of him missing opportunities because of me :/ 

Siggy Challenge - Summer Movie Scenes

• Options
    @izza2 All the hugs to you...I teared up reading your post because it sounded so much like me and my DH right after we arrived in England. We were so disconnected...I tried talking to him about it, but it made things worse. We ultimately had to just kind of ride it out as it was mainly stemming from his job. I did sit with him, and acknowledged his stress. I asked him point blank what could I do for him to make it better....he requested more gym time and martial arts lessons...Which meant even more time alone for me, but a way to de-stress for him. I agreed to it even though I didn't really want to, and tried to make sure he went and did what he needed. He told me later that meant so much to him. Our line of communication opened up quite a bit afterwards. I've learned that helping him through his low points ultimately helps me get to a healthier place faster because he's then able to help me more without feeling emotionally drained. Not sure if this helps at all...I just wanted to share what we did to help us when we were going through a similar low point. ((Hugs)) I hope things at home and at work start to get better for you. I hate when life just dumps everything on you at once.

• Options
    @josie12367 - Thank you *hugs*. I don't have much in the way of advice for your own situation, but would it change his security clearance if you started seeing a therapist? If you're hesitant to start medication, it might be beneficial to seek therapy as a starting point. I actually just heard about therapists online over the weekend ("online therapy" or "e-therapy"; TalkSpace.com does it), so perhaps that's something to consider as well? Even if it's just to talk things over and see if you can find some healthy coping mechanisms to help you out, whether you end up starting anti-depressants or not. *hugs*

PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @izza2 Thanks for the reply! It has been something I've considered doing, but I think the diagnosis in general is what they look for in processing his clearances, so I'm not sure? I just know with medication treatment is a for sure hindrance. The online therapy sounds very intriguing and would be preferable right now to anything else. I'm going to have to check that out! 

• Options
    @jrm_14 You make some great points about the benefit of a booster session, and also the fact that I can cancel it if it turns out I don't need it. Thank you for that, it's actually extremely helpful. And major *hugs* for all that you're going through right now. Like you I also respond to stress and mental health issues by overeating, so that's something I'm struggling with right now as well. I don't know if this is something you've tried, but I've found my acupuncturist is helpful with this. She takes a very holistic approach to health, and just having someone see connections between various symptoms and recognize the emotional toll it all takes has actually helped my motivation to eat better.
    @josie12367 *hugs* I'm sorry you're having such a rough time right now. I know in the past when I've seen a therapist they always have to give some diagnosis to get insurance to pay for it. When I haven't quite met criteria for depression or anxiety I've been diagnosed with "acute adjustment disorder", which basically means having trouble coping with a particular life situation. I wonder if I diagnosis like that would have an affect on your husband's career. If not, perhaps you could talk to a therapist about coding your treatment under that so that you could get help.