January 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker
Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    I don't like Peanut butter and Jelly. I think its gross.
  • Options
    @Mudge85 I felt the same way until I was pregnant with DD-then I was eating PB&J all.the.time. Now I have an aversion to it again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mudge85 me either, tooooooo sweet.
  • Options
    @mudge85 I was eating a PB&J almost every night in 1st trimester. It was the only thing that kept the nausea at bay before bed lol.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    EagsEags member
    I love pb&j! I had one for dinner last night :) But man they give me heartburn that breaks through the Zantac...
    6th cycle of meds/iui combos = BFP!! - EDD 1/21/13 <3
    Born via emergency c-section - 8lb, 19.75 in, 100% stubborn BFP Chart
    8 cycles of unmedicated trying = BFP!! - EDD 1/10/18  <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    *Waiting for Baby Eags 2.0*;
  • Options
    I hated PB&J as a kid. I think because my family was super poor while growing up that it was all we could afford, and as I got older and in a better place financially that I wouldn't eat them. Until I had one again and was obsessed. Now I get the worst heartburn ever and it sucks. I wanted to keep a jar of them at work so I had easy snacks to eat but I can't get over the heartburn. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    PB&J saved me during the first trimester and is my go to take for lunch if I don't have leftovers from the previous night. I've always liked it but rarely ate it before getting pregnant.
  • Options
    I think part of the reason I don't like pb&j is because I never ate it as a kid, my younger brother has a severe allergy, so if we so much as came home with peanuts on the breath it could make him sick. 
  • Options
    I don't like "I love you to the moon and back" either. I think it's sooooo overused as to be practically meaningless.
  • Options
    ryannenikoleryannenikole member
    edited August 2017
    @gilsam1 I think it's just popular! I was going to modify the adventure theme by using neutral colors and quotes/images from classic or iconic adventure stories as wall art. I am a huge reader and I loved movies like the old Swiss Family Robinson growing up, and then of course there's Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings and Narnia and even Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn...I thought that it would be cute and different (and encourage reading!). I would throw in arrows and compasses and maps and things like that as accents, but a lot of that is way overused. In our area, woodland/outdoors is so totally overdone. 

ETA: I am ultimately not doing that after all because a nursery won't get done before baby boy arrives and I need to keep things really simple because once I can do something with it I likely won't have the time or energy. But that was the original idea. I'm struggling to find what I like in a very bad way because so much of what's available is so overused!
  • Options

I'm not sure why arrows and adventure are in right now...but I'm totally using it!  I plan to have a Peter Pan themed nursery and thankfully the arrows and adventure are in otherwise this momma would be spending a fortune...

• Options
    conineml said:

I'm not sure why arrows and adventure are in right now...but I'm totally using it!  I plan to have a Peter Pan themed nursery and thankfully the arrows and adventure are in otherwise this momma would be spending a fortune...

Peter Pan was going to be part of mine too! Yours sounds so cute!!
  • Options
    We're doing a travel theme nursery and very similar to the adventure stuff. We chose it because DH and I have had the travel bug the past couple years. And I agree with @BelleZBoo, what will it be compared to? Plus if it makes it easier to find stuff better for me!
  • Options
    BelleZBoo said:
    I don't get a nursery theme being overdone or overused. When will your nursery ever be next to someone else's? 
    I think the only time that sort of thing comes up is in pictures -- and mostly, it just tends to date the photos, lol. Like, brown & blue/brown & pink were huge when my son was born, and I was pretty into the color scheme. It's like the avocado green toilet of baby photos. 

Which is to say, utterly harmless but nowhere near as cute in retrospect as it was at the time. (Though I wasn't around for avocado green and harvest gold appliances, so I still tend to find them charming. My son's grandmother hates them because they were her childhood.)
  • Options
    @PleaseSendPicklesNow I could not agree more with this!!!
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Options
    @PleaseSendPicklesNow I completely agree. As a teacher it would make me roll my eyes when I had Caden, Kaydyn, and Kaiden all in the same class. 
  • Options
    @PleaseSendPicklesNow This is the great naming debate in my house. Hubby and I both have top 10 names for our birth year (Sara and William). Neither of us loved that experience. I tried on a succession of dopey nicknames but mostly just tolerated being "Sara Last Initial" and hubby respelled his name (he goes by Byll or Wyll depending on the company.) 

We are agreed on no top 10 names for this baby, but we disagree on how to get there. He is totally ok with taking a name from a different language and altering the spelling/pronunciation for his American ears. Or using an invented name or something.  I haaaaate that.  I'd rather just pick something that's out of the mainstream. We'll see what happens. 
  • Options
    @PleaseSendPicklesNow I have to say, when I grade papers (college level), on average, the people with creative/misspelled names have more grammar errors than those with properly spelled names. It all started with a girl named Britni.

I'm sure there's about a billion variables going into that, but I swear there is a real correlation in my classrooms - I make remarks to DH about it constantly (so now I'm probably expecting it to happen, but nonetheless, it's noticeable).
  • Options
    @Cricket99 dumb question, but what IS the proper spelling of Caden/Kaiden, etc? :D
  • Options
    @libbberty Made up words don't have proper spellings?
  • Options
    @libbberty I consider Caden the most regular spelling as it's the one I see most, but damned if I like this names that end in -aden trend. I hate it and it needs to die.
  • Options
    I love PBJ. Always have, always will.

My UO: I hate "creatively" spelled names. It's not creative. It's just misspelling!  And when your child grows up and constantly has to spell their name for others, it's just going to be annoying. If you love the sound of "Emily," then name your child Emily. Not "Emmaleigh."

I especially hate the overuse of the letter Y. Y isn't an all-purpose vowel.  I'm so glad my mom didn't name me Jynnyfyr or Ylyzybyth something like that!
    Have you ever read/ watched freakanomics? They did a whole section on names and the importance of picking a good one,  and the downfall of picking crazy ones. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    @mamaof5already I'm going to run and watch that! I am such a name nerd and I feel like it's soooo important to pick a good name. Maybe it's the teacher thing and seeing kids get annoyed when they have to go by Aiden B. Or Sara L. I feel affronted for them. Also the whole sighing dejectedly every time someone asks how to pronounce their name or how to spell it. Lifetime hardships right there.
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop In that case, I'm on your side! My first name was the most popular name for baby girls the year I was born, so I understand why a popular name is annoying. But there are so many beautiful names that aren't currently in the top 100 baby name list. Names that were common in previous generations, or just names that are slightly less popular. The 100 - 200 ranked baby names are mostly "real" and recognizable names with standard spellings, but they aren't overused. I like those names. (Of course, that list also might include about 10 variations of the -Aden names. Avoid! Avoid!)

@libbbetty That fascinates me!  If you had made up that factoid, I would believe it. But knowing that it's really true seems so RIGHT. I wonder why that might be? Maybe people whose parents believe proper spelling is optional learn that habit from their parents?

@mamaof5already Yes!  I've only read the first Freakonomics book, but I loved it. NAMES MATTER.

With all of this said, I understand the desire for baby names that aren't extremely common. I just don't think that people should misspell names that already exist.
  • Options
    @PleaseSendPicklesNow I mostly don't want the name to instantly date the kid. If I meet a Tiffany, I can guess with good accuracy how old she is. Ditto Jaiden, Addison, Liam, McKenzie, etc. Even some more classic names. Emma's are mostly pretty young,  Melissa's and Sara's are usually 80s babies. 

I really like old fashioned names that haven't come back yet, I love Shirley and Beverly. I love Joyce. I like some boys names that Americans might consider more feminine like Morgan and Adrian. 

Hubby likes Landyn and Kierra and Aeryn. Not my style at all.
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop Mid-century names!  They will probably be trending in 20 years, but right now they just sounds unique. But still recognizable.

As for your husband's suggestions...  :#
    Landon and Erin are great. Landyn and Aeryn... um, how can I be polite about this... NO. :|
  • Options
    Yup. I could maybe even get behind Eryn. At least that's a fairly common variant.
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop Here's an article about that! Between name popularity and actuarial data, they figured out the most likely age of people with different popular names. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-to-tell-someones-age-when-all-you-know-is-her-name/
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @bainidhedub I really enjoyed that article,   thanks!