April 2018 Moms

Mental Health Check In

I've seen and participated in these on a few boards, and I was thinking it might be nice to start something like this over here. We can do a weekly checking in, or something less structured, whatever feels right.

Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:

How are you feeling?

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.)

Re: Mental Health Check In

• Anxiety, Depression, and ADD

Today has me feeling pretty isolated. I sat alone in class (I'm used to it) but the professor made us do small groups. The kids behind me had already grouped off, so the professor had to make me go find a group. I suppose I need to find a more crowded place to sit next time, but I'd rather not have to do awkward group interactions. I don't find them helpful to my learning. 

Also the job fair they had was all work I would have considered when I was 18, but now that I'm not most of it didn't seem worth my while. Finding a way to bring in more money while I'm back in school would really help us out a lot, especially with LO coming. I just wish it were easier to find decent work. Not feeling too hopeful right now. 

Right now I'm between psychiatrists (though I have an appt. scheduled) and therapists. And the morning sickness ended up with me being off my meds, not intentionally. Now that I've got something for the nausea, I'm trying to remember to phase them back in.

Side note: this thread is exactly what I needed today
  • Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:
    I have PTSD (not pregnancy related).
    How are you feeling?
    Pretty decent as of now! 
    Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.)
    I WAS in treatment, but my psychiatrist discharged me after I told her about my pregnancy last week, as she doesn't treat pregnant women. I'll have to talk to my midwives about continuing my medication, though I am working on weaning from it. I'm taking a category C medication, but it hasn't been shown to pose much risk during pregnancy. I can't take it while breastfeeding however, so I'd like to wean off of it as I get closer to my due date. I have a bit of anxiety about being off my medication, as that has never been a good experience for me, but I'm looking into safe alternatives.
  • Loading the player...
  • Anxiety, Depression, and ADD

Today has me feeling pretty isolated. I sat alone in class (I'm used to it) but the professor made us do small groups. The kids behind me had already grouped off, so the professor had to make me go find a group. I suppose I need to find a more crowded place to sit next time, but I'd rather not have to do awkward group interactions. I don't find them helpful to my learning. 

Also the job fair they had was all work I would have considered when I was 18, but now that I'm not most of it didn't seem worth my while. Finding a way to bring in more money while I'm back in school would really help us out a lot, especially with LO coming. I just wish it were easier to find decent work. Not feeling too hopeful right now. 

Right now I'm between psychiatrists (though I have an appt. scheduled) and therapists. And the morning sickness ended up with me being off my meds, not intentionally. Now that I've got something for the nausea, I'm trying to remember to phase them back in.

Side note: this thread is exactly what I needed today
    Group projects were the bane of my existence in college. I feel you. I did appreciate the professors who at least created groups for us so I didn't have to awkwardly approach people and try to join their group. But the overall experience was pretty miserable either way.
  • @codingchildhood are there other medications that would be safe for breastfeeding that could help manage the PTSD? If you had a current psychiatrist I would recommend trying to switch now.  I have to talk to mine about safety for breastfeeding when the time comes. I know all their category C quirks for pregnancy, but I'm probably going to go through it all with the new doc.
  • @allowachick I think Zoloft is an option! I may look into that. 
  • @codingchildhood didn't work for me personally, but I think most of that class is safe so that might be a good option
  • That's my biggest worry, that I just won't be able to find an alternative that works. I've been taking Prozac for almost 10 years (with some gaps) and it works extremely well for me. 
  • @codingchildhood that's what my whole family but me is on or have been on for long periods of time. Do you know why Prozac isn't safe for breastfeeding but Zoloft would be? I always thought that whole class was similar
  • My psychiatrist said it can decrease a baby's appetite and lead to slow weight gain and/or weight loss. Zoloft doesn't get into the breast milk as much as Prozac does, from what I've been reading. 
  • BUT! Prozac appears to be safer during pregnancy, or at least carry less risk than Zoloft. 
  • The mechanics and chemistry of different pharmaceuticals is so interesting and nuanced 
  • Omg I feel like I so needed this thread today. 

Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?: I just feel emotionally and physically exhausted. My 5 year old constantly wants me lately, my 2.5 year old was up 3 times last night, I'm not sleeping good, and my brothers wedding is in 2 weeks and money is tight. Of course it's a destination wedding. 

How are you feeling? Just crappy want to cry and sleep at the same time. 

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.) Just having a rough week. Met a girlfriend today for a play date which helped immensely. But then get home and there's no break. I love my life just feel like I need some personal time...and money and sleep lol. I know I'm asking too much. 
  • @allowachick I hated group projects as well in school. I thought in college it'd be easier than high school because everyone should be mature and responsible. Nope. Plus it is so awkward when you don't know anyone or don't feel like being social. Hang in there!
  • @lesliegolem I don't think you're asking for too much. Those are all legitimate concerns. Is there anything you can do for you like using a favorite lotion or lighting a favorite candle that would fit into your day? 
  • THANK YOU for making this thread. It's just what I needed.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything by my doctors, but I am considering talking to my OB about the possibility of perinatal depression. I don't like to self-diagnose, but I do think I should talk to her. 

I'm not feeling too great. This pregnancy was unplanned and I just can't make myself be happy about it. We're newly weds, in a brand new state, with a brand new, stressful job (for him; I'm unemployed), away from family, living in a crappy rental, and worried about the finances of having a baby. I went back to my hometown to visit my mom, and that seems to have stopped the all-day crying, but now that I'm back home I feel a little numb. Like, this pregnancy can't be real. I try to ignore it by distracting myself with video games and books, but I can't distract from the nausea, or the 10x more frequent bathroom breaks. I almost didn't go to my US this morning because I was so afraid of having proof that I really am having a baby. I want to be happy. My husband is so happy. My parents are thrilled. But I just want to crawl into a cave. 

I could use lots of love and prayer and hugs, friends. I feel a little lost. 
  • Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:  Anxiety mostly.  I've been that way my whole life but didn't get officially diagnosed until I ended up with PPD/A after my first.

How are you feeling?
    Good and bad.  I'm off all meds right now and have been since May.  I'm hoping I can make it through the pregnancy without them.  Wellbutrin had been working wonders for me but my OB wanted me off of it before I was TTC.  Zoloft is available if I need it, but I'm hoping I can wait until after I give birth.  

Where are you in your mental health journey? (in treatment, looking for support, on meds, in counseling, having a rough day, etc.)  I've been really great for the past year.  I've been off and on meds since 2009 to deal with PPD, but after a bad panic attack in 2014, I found Wellbutrin and have really turned it all around.  Being off meds is difficult, but I feel like I know myself really well now and I'm not too proud to ask for help if I need it.

Thanks for starting this post.  :smile:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • THANK YOU for making this thread. It's just what I needed.

I haven't been diagnosed with anything by my doctors, but I am considering talking to my OB about the possibility of perinatal depression. I don't like to self-diagnose, but I do think I should talk to her. 

I'm not feeling too great. This pregnancy was unplanned and I just can't make myself be happy about it. We're newly weds, in a brand new state, with a brand new, stressful job (for him; I'm unemployed), away from family, living in a crappy rental, and worried about the finances of having a baby. I went back to my hometown to visit my mom, and that seems to have stopped the all-day crying, but now that I'm back home I feel a little numb. Like, this pregnancy can't be real. I try to ignore it by distracting myself with video games and books, but I can't distract from the nausea, or the 10x more frequent bathroom breaks. I almost didn't go to my US this morning because I was so afraid of having proof that I really am having a baby. I want to be happy. My husband is so happy. My parents are thrilled. But I just want to crawl into a cave. 

I could use lots of love and prayer and hugs, friends. I feel a little lost. 
    I have been in your shoes and it DOES get better.  It's not easy, but it does.  The nausea makes it so much worse.  Have you talked to your OB about meds or unisom for the morning sickness?  It makes a big difference.  Don't hesitate to share with your OB how you are feeling.  Your #1 priority has to be to take care of yourself.  It took me a long time to learn that.  Lots of hugs.  You are strong and you can do it, but don't be afraid to lean on others for support. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just adding to the convo, I breastfed both my kids while on Zoloft.  They seem to have turned out fairly normal.  Zoloft seems to be the one they recommend for breastfeeding.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @vannesmarshall I think finding done support is definitely a good idea, especially being in a new place away from family and familiar things
  • @fancybelmont No, I haven't asked for anything regarding the nausea. Mostly because it isn't truly terrible, just constant. Like, I don't often feel like I'm actually going to throw up, but my stomach is always upset; enough that eating (which I know makes me feel better) is really unappealing. I eat anyway, and I'm ok.

And thank you so much for the support. This community is an amazing thing. 

• Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:

Anxiety

How are you feeling?

really good actually. I feel like I'm in a much better head space than with my first child.

I see a psychologist once a month. I call it my mental massage. I also take 10mg of Prozac. I had stopped when I got pregnant with my DS and it was a big mistake. I had hyperemesis and it just threw me into prenatal depression. I started taking it around 8 weeks and never stopped. Even through breastfeeding. I will say though, after DS was born, we kept noticing he would shiver for a second or two. They kept testing his sugar and all was well. In hindsight, I believe he was withdrawing from it. It stopped after a day. I plan to stay at it again for this pregnancy and subsequent breastfeeding.
  • @vannesmarshall you have so much going on! I think it is very brave and smart of you to talk to someone. Talk to your OB, but maybe also a counselor or psychologist.... it may be good to talk to an objective person.... 

Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?:

I have a diagnosis of severe ADHD and GAD (generalized anxiety diaorder) I have had medication for both for many years (only off during my last pregnancy and while I wad BFing). Now I am off again (one is a schedule II controlled substance and isnt safe) and I feel very scattered and overwhelmed which makes my anxiety so much better! 

How are you feeling?

Pretty darn overwhelmed.... I am pretty much a single mom, (my husband is an over the road truck driver who is home 30 hours a week) to my almost 3 year old active boy, who had to go back to work this week, get my classroom ready and function as if nothing has changed while interacting with multiple adults who I have worked with for years and knows me pretty well because my husband doesn't really want to tell anyone about this pregnancy. Not only that, but I am doing it with my ADHD completely unmedicated.... oh and did I mention that I am taking the last two classes of my masters? 

Does anyone know of some natural ways to help ADHD so I can get my work complete? I mean I know it is rough now and I am exhausted, but it gets better right?

• @dhhteachermommy I know someone who choose to be off her ADHD meds during her pregnancy, and she had a really rough time.  Personally, I'm staying on mine because I went through and read the literature myself, and to me the risk doesn't seem that great because of how small of a dose is in prescription medication compared to stimulant abusers which is honestly most of the research out there because ethics
  • @dhhteachermommy I have ADHD as well, but had to go off my meds in high school because the meds were giving me an irregular heartbeat. So I know how much it can suck to go cold turkey. I almost didn't graduate. 

Are you able to see a counselor or therapist? I saw somebody to help me reorganize my life after meds, and that helped a bit. Look for a behavioral therapist who specializes in ADHD. 

Have a look at the podcast "Taking Control" by Nikki Kinzer and Pete Wright. They look at very specific problems, and gives tips and steps to tackle them. I think it's a great thing to listen to while getting ready in the morning or cooking dinner or on your commute.
  • @allowachick Would you possibly be able to point me in the direction of some research you saw? I feel like I was on a normal dose (definately not an abuser) would like to see because maybe I could be on a lower dose even. Thank you for letting me know there is other stuff out there.

@vannesmarshall Thank you so much for the Podcast suggestion! I will check it out. I am not sure if I have time to see a therapist due to babysitting. Maybe they will let me bring my son? Definately something to check out. Thanj you!
  • dreinhardtdreinhardt member
    edited August 2017
    Diagnosis (if you have been) or What brings you to this thread today?
    I have not been specifically diagnosed but I would say general anxiety. I had really bad post partum anxiety after my son was born in July 2015 and saw a psychiatrist and then therapist for a few months. That is the first time I ever took medication because I had no choice. I felt like I was going crazy with a newborn to take care of. Scary time but no feelings of being harmful to myself or anyone else.

How are you feeling?
    I am feeling good now. I still have some struggles due to my father's alzheimer's and the troubles my mother is going through because of it. But everything else in life couldn't be better.

Currently I am on 5 mg of Lexapro. I was on 20 mg the year after my son was born and then weaned off. Over the past year I have had three episodes of numbness on my right face and sometimes on my right hand and foot. At first they said it was Bells Palsy but after the third episode I basically fell back into full blown anxiety because they thought I might have multiple sclerosis. I was TTC at the time and stopped until my MRI results came back. Everything turned out normal. During this time I decided to go on a very low dose of meds to see if anxiety was the culprit. I think that it was the cause of the weird neurological symptoms I've had because after a few days all of those symptoms went away. My doctor says it is perfectly fine to be on Lexapro and said she usually doses 10 mg but I wanted to try 5 to see if it helps. And it does. I work out almost daily and have really worked on my thought process and eat a healthy diet. I do feel it is very important to try your hardest naturally and use meds if needed. I also read many books and had an anxiety workbook. 
  • @dhhteachermommy I read them a while back when we were first TTC, but I pretty much googled ADHD meds during pregnancy and stimulants during pregnancy etc. The only way I found to get a solid answer was to read through the medical research published in journals and such, but I will say that my psychiatrist confirmed that the research doesn't point either way and hasn't been proven to be harmful but they can't prove it's safe, oh category C

• I have a whole list of things I've been diagnosed with and treated for I don't want to go through it all lol.

But, I was on prozac, went off of it, got put on Lexapro and its been not helping at all, so went off of that. I should probably go back on prozac but I really want breast feeding to work this time, so im hesitant. Idk what to do, but mainly my anxiety is crazy. I feel like my depression has been okay aside from hormonal. Which could also be aggravating my anxiety. So hard to know!!! 
  • Anxiety
    Was on lexapro until i got my BFP. 
    Had a very emotional and stressful time weaning off. Still feel like I need it. Indeed like I'm losing my mind at my older 2 all the time.

BabyFruit Ticker
    EBF, BLW, BW, CD, Waterbirth, Calm Birth, Homebirth, FC, GI Awareness, Informed Choice
    DD 5y
    DS 3y Generation Intact
    Step DD 5y
    Step DD 3y
  • 8bithearts said: 
    Anxiety
    Was on lexapro until i got my BFP. 
    Had a very emotional and stressful time weaning off. Still feel like I need it. Indeed like I'm losing my mind at my older 2 all the time.

Lexapro is safe for pregnancy and breast feeding. I say go back on it if you need it!
  • I asked my OB specifically about Lexapro and she said it was safe. Of course I don't want to be on any meds but... Maybe you could try just 5mg like me to see it it helps and that's a really small dose.
  • I asked my OB specifically about Lexapro and she said it was safe. Of course I don't want to be on any meds but... Maybe you could try just 5mg like me to see it it helps and that's a really small dose.
    Thank you ladies! My psych decided to try this way for now. Im ok now and have found other ways to cope
    BabyFruit Ticker
    EBF, BLW, BW, CD, Waterbirth, Calm Birth, Homebirth, FC, GI Awareness, Informed Choice
    DD 5y
    DS 3y Generation Intact
    Step DD 5y
    Step DD 3y
  • Feeling especially guilty for taking my ADHD meds today, while recognizing that I definitely needed them. I wish there were more clear answers about these things. 
  • Prayers for all of you. Being pregnant is a time full of extremes which can mess with anyone. Easy to feel isolated and confused. Whatever is 'right' for you, I hope you find it and feel good. Mental health needs more research and understanding, and I hope society starts pushing more for progress in helping each other be okay. Four years ago my 15 year old son committed suicide. We took him to several doctors, but no one diagnosed him. His disease hid itself so well in his happy, normal personality that no one could see illness. I am proud of anyone who seeks help, fight for answers and be healthy.  <3
    Pregnancy Ticker