January 2018 Moms

Questions for STM+ 8/30

Re: Questions for STM+ 8/30

• @BelhurstBride
    That is what makes me so mad and scared. If it's after birth, and you're not in any danger there should have been a discussion. Anything going into your body should be discussed! It's situations like this that create such distrust of Medical Professionals when there shouldn't be any. 
  • @steph30032 the American Pregnancy Association website says they can start as early as 2nd trimester but are more common in the 3rd. You're definitely not crazy  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @steph30032 I had BH pretty early with DS, like 15-16 weeks. And with this one I've had them a few times, but much less frequently, usually when my water intake drops. Your uterus is just preparing itself.
  • @steph30032 I've been having BH since about 19 weeks. Weird that your provider said none until 30 weeks! If you feel your belly harden for a brief time and then go back to being more soft, that's most likely BH.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• My doctor says everyone has them right from the beginning, that most people just start feeling them later, and some people never feel them at all. 
  • Is it terrible that I don't remember for sure? I think I did, same as PPs, have a little pitocin along with the pain reliever before getting stitched up. I was asked, but at that point was so tired and in shock I was just like "whatever." I hated having the hep lock (my biggest motivation for going unmedicated was how nervous and stressed needles make me), but it wasn't as distracting as I had feared. By time I got to the hospital I was 7cm and barely aware of what was going on around me.
    I did kinda feel like, what was the point of going through all that only to get pain reliever when it was over. But then realized that once the shock and adrenalin worry off I'd be happy to have the edge off. And I didn't even notice that I'd delivered the placenta, so if the pitocin helped then amen - I didn't have anything left in me.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• For those STMs that their water broke and had to ride to the hospital in a personal vehicle...what did you use to keep the seats from getting..dirty. DH requested this weekend that I get a tarp to store in our truck for go time...there has got to be a better solution. Lol
  • @TInman87, I didn't have anything but my dad managed to get the car clean. 

I have friends who have used puppy pee pads or just a pile of towels. A tarp doesn't sound like the brightest of ideas, you need something absorbing. And it's just so over the top. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • New Question: I read that the AAP now recommends baby sleeping in parents' room until 1. Is anyone planning on doing this or did this previously? Will you place the crib in your room instead of the nursery? Initially, we we're planning on pack n play w/ bassinet in our room (to sleep in for about 6months), convertible crib in nursery, and rock n play in family/living room. But I'm wondering if that is too much and we can cut something out or if those three are still good to have/will get plenty of use?
  • @kelk5, we have a co sleeper in our room that we'll use as long as baby needs it. DD1 was definitely in our room past a year before she was remotely ready to try sleeping alone. DD2 was ready around 3 months old for some space. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My water broke at home, @TInman87, and I just sat on a towel. Granted, my experience was probably out of the ordinary. DD's head formed a sort of "seal," so it wasn't until they were checking me (und pushed up on DD's head) that everything came gushing out (sorry for the graphic description). So, I didn't get anything on the seats. But I agree with a PP, a tarp is a bit excessive! You need something to absorb. You won't be gushing continuous fluid...just sort of leaking. 
  • @BelhurstBride, thanks. Did y'all still buy a crib for DD?
  • @kelk5 we are not doing this. DS was in a rock-n-play in our room till he was 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 months and then was in his room in his crib. I'm planning on doing the same this time too. DS hated the pack n play so we didn't get much use from it. 

@TInman87 I was induced so my water didn't break at home, but my friends have all mentioned using puppy pads. I had some under me when I'd sleep and in the car in case, but then didn't end up needing them.

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, both girls had cribs. They did get used for naps. 

We have purchased a crib for DS. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • egirl1025egirl1025 member
    edited September 2017
    @TInman87 I just used an overnight sized period pad.  I would say that the majority of the initial leak had stopped by the time we headed out to the hospital.  I had bought the pads just a week earlier for something to have at home after baby came.  One thing to note though, the top of my bag tore, so it may have attributed to the leak being a bit lighter.

@kelk5 our thought was to initially have the baby with us until he turned one, but at about 5-6 months we realized we were actually waking him up.  We just used the pack 'n play in our room.  I did buy a crib because I figured he would still need it to sleep in until he would be big enough for a normal bed.  Cosleeping in general was a bit stressful for us, so we didn't try it too much.  Now when we bring him in bed with us he just thinks of it as a nice cushy playground... Not a lot of sleep happening.

ETA: Autocorrect fail
  • steph30032steph30032 member
    edited September 2017
    @TInman87 My water partially broke at home. I honestly thought I peed my pants and didn't know I was in labor until 3 hours after it broke. Because it was only partial, it wasn't the constant trickle that others experience. It just was a small burst of fluid (enough to wet my underwear and pants) and then it stoped. It had to be broken the rest of the way at the hospital. So I didn't need any kind of pad or towels for the car. I would say though maybe just put a garbage bag over the seat and then sit on a towel if need be. I don't think it's incredibly common for water to break at home. From what I've always hear it's usually done at the hospital. 

@kelk5 I've never heard that a year is the recommendation. DS slept in our room, in a bassinet, until about 4 months. The bassinet had a 20lbs weight limit I believe so when he hit that limit, we had to move him. When we did move him, be began sleeping sooooo much better in his crib in his own room. DH snores and our bed squeaks so anytime either of us rolled over the baby would wake up. The combo of his new peaceful room and the sound machine was like magic. This time around I'm hoping to move the baby around 3 months. I couldn't imagine having a baby in our room for a full year. I feel like the transistion to its own room after 12 months with us would be brutal. Also, not much would be able to happen in the romance department lol
  • @kelk5 we made it 6 months with DD in a pack&play in our room. We were hoping to make it a year per the new recommendation, but at 4 months old she started waking every 1 to 2 hours and we were losing our minds so our pedi gave her ok to move her to her own room for our own sanity! It worked well up until that point for us though.
  • @steph30032, @egirl1025, @BelhurstBride, and @supercoolstephy. Y'all make great points about moving baby to own room so we are not waking her up. We both snore and I wasn't even thinking about sexy time waking up the baby but yeah that would put a damper on that. I found the recommendation on the AAP website and thought it seemed a bit long.
  • @TInman87 I used the always version of depends. I was so glad to have them because I was gushing frequently. So I didn't need a towel in the car and didn't have to walk into the hospital with wet pants. Then you can use the rest of the pack for pp bleeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @kelk5 we lasted 3 months with DS before moving him to the nursery. He made so much noise that he was waking me up, and we were waking him up as well. I am so happy we invested in a video monitor for the nursery as it gave us major peace of mind. Once we moved him we all started sleeping better. I'm talking 1-2 hour stretches turned into 5-7 hour stretches overnight.
  • @kelk5 I'm not a STM, but I just spoke to my pediatrician BFF this weekend and she also mentioned the 1 year thing. She said she absolutely would recommend to 9 months for reducing the risk of SIDS, and at that point, she would make a judgment based on individual child (because she agreed that once a child is walking, it can get pretty odd to have them wandering around the room, plus same comments on sleep disruption as above). She did mention that it is a recommendation (not a rule), but that she agreed with the AAP based on her review of the SIDS research. 

I also asked her about bassinet vs pack n play with the topper (just because I was interested in her opinion) and she said both were fine (no surprise). She also even admitted she had to use the Rock n play for a month with DS2 despite the recommendations not to, but felt like those risks aren't as severe as SIDS.
  • TInman87 said:
    For those STMs that their water broke and had to ride to the hospital in a personal vehicle...what did you use to keep the seats from getting..dirty. DH requested this weekend that I get a tarp to store in our truck for go time...there has got to be a better solution. Lol
    I have had my water break at home both times. (It isn't supposed to be that common to have your water break at home.) The first time around, I just sat on a towel, which didn't even get wet because I had the major Gush, and was barely dripping enough for a panty liner by the time we drove to the hospital.  The second time around I was  better prepared, and stocked with adult diapers, and over night pads. I labored at home a lot longer the second time, so this was a huge saving grace not to be limited to the bathroom or worried about a mess later. Our Costco has Poise & Depends on sale right now, so I will be stocking up again. They come in very handy after delivery too. I laughed a little at the tarp idea, my husband jokes about making me sit on and sleep on tarps during the final month because of my track record. I just shake my head.
    Joey 06.05.2010, MC Jan 2014-EDD 09.11.2014, Aurelia 08.24.2015 (lost twin ~12 weeks), Ectopic Loss Feb 2016, EDD 01.03.2018
  • @kelk5, I think the new recommendation says 6 months to 1 year, with 1 year being the optimum. DD was in our room until 6 months. Like a lot of PP's said, she was waking up because she heard us. The first night we put her in her room (at 6 months old) was the first time she slept through the night. I think that if you're following all of the safe sleep recommendations, I wouldn't worry about moving a baby sooner than that 1 year mark. It just kind of depends on the kid as to how long you can last!
  • Pretty much what everyone else said. @tlnman87 I was planning on using a puppy pad if needed. They are very similar to the pads they use in hospitals.

@kelk5 we did exactly what @supercoolstephy did. I know Rock N Plays are not recommended for sleep but she was in eye sight of us and not rolling. We ended up moving her when DHs snoring and the dog began waking her up.
  • Thanks ladies! DH is an all around country boy...so his thinking is always in terms of what you would do with an animal lol I knew it was over the top and I knew I could get much more reasonable suggestions from yall :)

• @libbberty, that's interesting to hear what your pediatrician friend said and a good reminder that the recommendation is to reduce SIDs even if it does seem like a long time to have baby in our room.

I think DH and I will register for all the stuff so we have what we need for sleeping and sell if we don't use it. Then check with the baby's pediatrician before moving baby out of our room. We'll just have to be creative with sexy time and use a sound machine to drown out our snoring if our pediatrician recommends the full year. 
  • @TInman87
    I prayed for my water to break, that way I'd know for sure I was in labor. I went in and got sent home once but then was stubborn about going back in. Once I was checked in, I had her 3 hours later. I'm not banking on it breaking this time either, so likely pads and towels.

I feel like a bad Mom, I thought the recommendation was 6 months for having babe in the room with you. No one was sleeping at our house and DH sleeps through everything, so he coerced me into moving her into her own room at 5 months.

• @kelk5 that's basically what DH and I are going to do as well. We will see as we go, I guess!
  • @Dani0329 it seems like most people don't make it to 6 months, so don't feel like a bad mom. Check out aap.org and scroll down to the recommendations for sleep. It says the minimum they recommend is 6 months but that they recommend going to one year. I was also surprised that they recommend babies sleeping with a pacifier.
  • TInman87 said:
    For those STMs that their water broke and had to ride to the hospital in a personal vehicle...what did you use to keep the seats from getting..dirty. DH requested this weekend that I get a tarp to store in our truck for go time...there has got to be a better solution. Lol
    A large towel. It was gross but I think the seat stayed dry. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• ^^ thanks for clarifying the 6-12 month range. Ds went into his own room at 7 months because he was waking every hour and we were all exhausted and miserable. We wouldn't have lasted another 5. He was also sleeping in a Merlin suit at the time, which makes it difficult for infants to roll from back to front while sleeping.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• sbishop426sbishop426 member
    edited September 2017
    Mine was almost 3 months when we moved him to his crib from the bassinet in our room because he started rolling over and had kinda outgrown the bassinet. I slept so much better with him in his  room and I'll probably do the same for this baby. 

ETA: I guess my experience is not the norm. I can't imagine baby in our bedroom for 6+ months. I'm a light sleeper though so every little noise woke me up and I think he slept better in his nursery too. At that point he was doing 6-7 hr stretches so walking down the hall to nurse him wasn't a big hassle for me
  • @kelk5 Well, I'm the lone man out on this one but DS slept in our room until he was probably 14 months and we got along great. ;) He was still getting up in the night nursing and it was just so much easier. We used a rnp for the first several months and a pnp after that. We had no trouble sleeping and he was always asleep when we would DTD. 
    Anyway, just wanted to give the other perspective. :D
  • DD was in our room until 5 months and then we transitioned her to her crib. However, we lived in a very small in-law apartment (2 rooms) and her room was literally connected to ours. It worked for us. Do what works!

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Odd man out in the other direction here... DS was in his own room from day one. We tried putting the Rock n Play in our room - it didn't fit - he kept us awake - we made it about 4 hours.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Jan 18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• @TInman87 with my 1st my water broke in the grocery store check out lane.  A towel worked fine in the car.  

All of my previous babies have co slept until 6 months and then moved to the crib. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  •  My son mostly coslept until he was, like, 3. Once he was about 15 months he'd start off in his bed but ended up in ours after waking up the nurse. He wasn't a strong or independent sleeper until he was, probably around 4 or 5. 

We'll room in with this one until she's at least 8 months old (because we won't have a room in our apartment until then, and and this stage we don't know what the future apartment might be). I'm not planning on cosleeping again, buuuut I didn't plan on cosleeping with my son either, so we'll see how it goes. Our bed is smaller this time around, so that may help.
  • I kind of feel ridiculous asking this question but has anyone found a type of underpants that they find to be really comfy for pregnancy? Most of mine are feeling snug already.  I'm all for the cheap hanes or whatever but I hate buying a package, putting them on to reveal a muffin top, then being stuck with them, bc I'll return just about anything back to a store but I don't do that.