January 2018 Moms

GESTIONAL DIABETES

hello this is my first time posting so I don't know if I am posting in the correct spot but help me out!!!! Second pregnancy through IVF....first one healthy girl just had that great GD! insulin 4 times a day.......Now this one feeling good other than headaches.... I am 18 weeks and I had my GD test on Friday. Came back high the nurse said probably right to the nutritionist but she wanted the Dr to take a look at the results..... now nurse calls today and says the Dr wants you to do the three hour.... kind of confused on why he would want me to do the 3 hour.... any advice or help!!? Encouragement!!? Again let me know if this is NOT where to post!!! Thanks ladies!!!

Re: GESTIONAL DIABETES

• edited August 2017
    I'm not any help on this but just wanted to say I think it is a great post and something that many pregnant women seem to struggle with. I'm interested to hear answers from STM who might have struggled with this. 
    The only other place this question might belong on is our "Questions and Concerns thread" but it is such a huge topic that I kind of like it having its own thread. 
  • I believe most places have you take the 1 hour test first, and if you don't pass they move on to the 3 hour. As far as I know, that's pretty standard.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, you do the 1 hour test, if you fail the 1 hour test, you do the 3 hour test. I have also heard that some OB will send you straight to the 3 hour test. Last pregnancy I had to do the 1 hour test twice because my OB was sure I would fail the first one so she had me take it earlier than necessary to monitor things early on. I passed. The second test was a few weeks later, she again thought I'd fail, but spoiler... I didn't. That being said, you can be super healthy and not overweight, eat clean, etc. and still fail, so if you fail do not think it's because you messed up. Everyone's body reacts differently to sugar and how they use them. I've known so many women who have failed and are the healthiest women I know. 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Agree with PP. I was a borderline fail with the first one hour and a borderline pass with he three hour.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've failed my one hour miserably both times and passed my three hour with flying colors. The one hour test is a screening tool, the three hour test is diagnostic.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • I was going to say, I have several friends who failed the 1 hour test and passed the 3 hour with no problems, so FX that you pass the 3 hour test and don't have to deal the GD this time around!

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• I wasn't as lucky, I failed the 1 hour and 3 hour with both pregnancies. I was diagnosed around 26 weeks with my daughter. With this pregnancy, I was diagnosed at 13 weeks. If anyone has any questions, I'm an old pro lol
  • Are you on insulin or just regular diet!???
  • Right now just diet. With my daughter I had to do insulin injections at night because my fasting numbers were high.
  • I'm GD and on diet and occasional medication, if I'm having a late-night snack. All I can say is, don't stress out about it :) if you have it, its best to get it diagnosed so you can take care of yourself and baby. If you don't, then that's great! If you fail the 3 hour, there's diet, medication, insulin.. you'll be ok  <3