February 2018 Moms

UO Thursday 8/24

Re: UO Thursday 8/24

• Loading the player...
  • I don't get the obsession with GoT. I'm an avid reader, and didn't think the books were very good. I didn't even finish the series
    Well, heck, the author hasn't even finished the series.  I liked the books and the series, but I haven't kept up lately and am avoiding all spoilers.
  • mbirdie said:
    I don't like the idea of posting my ultrasounds on the internet or sharing them for everyone to see. I know a lot of people use them as part of their baby announcements but to me it's still the inside of my uterus. Plus I usually don't look at them and think "oh wow what a cute baby". I'll show the photos to my close family if they ask but otherwise I like keeping them for my DH and I. 
    Yeah, plus they all look the same. I don't share them either

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• mbirdie said:
    I don't like the idea of posting my ultrasounds on the internet or sharing them for everyone to see. I know a lot of people use them as part of their baby announcements but to me it's still the inside of my uterus. Plus I usually don't look at them and think "oh wow what a cute baby". I'll show the photos to my close family if they ask but otherwise I like keeping them for my DH and I. 
    I agree - my 8 week ultrasound looked like a blob. 
  • @jennifer_m21 same. "hi Facebook, look at this picture of the blob in my uterus!"
    DD - 4.15.16
  • I'm team "elective US to find out sex of the baby". I know lots of people think it's stupid or a waste of money but I love knowing earlier and getting to see my kid an extra time. 
  • I'm team "elective US to find out sex of the baby". I know lots of people think it's stupid or a waste of money but I love knowing earlier and getting to see my kid an extra time. 
    Where I love this is the only option to find out the sex as the NIPT is not offered and they will not tell you the sex at the anatomy scan because they are afraid of sex selective abortion. For me the elective is well with the 50-100 just because I would rather know the sex than not

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

We did this with DD. Not to find out earlier, but because at our anatomy scan the ultrasound tech said "hmm I think it's probably a girl because I don't see anything that looks like a scrotum". We wanted a little more sureness than that. We went to a cute little baby ultrasound place where they confirmed the sex right away. We also got a free follow up 3D appointment when I was further along , it was interesting.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • I do think that the private ultrasound places that have packages that give you anything more than 30 minutes of looking at the baby or that live stream it over the internet are a waste of money. I am done looking at the ultrasound after 5 minutes so I can't imagine watching for more time and I don't know anyone that would care enough to live stream it from home

• sabriel1 said:
    I do think that the private ultrasound places that have packages that give you anything more than 30 minutes of looking at the baby or that live stream it over the internet are a waste of money. I am done looking at the ultrasound after 5 minutes so I can't imagine watching for more time and I don't know anyone that would care enough to live stream it from home
    Our first one was supposed to be 30 minutes. After like 10 minutes of having my uterus pushed on I was over it. As a FTM it was nice to have, and my DH was happy because at our medical ultrasounds where we live the partner just comes in for the last like 2 minutes once the tech is finished with the measurements. I won't be doing it again with this one though.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • We do ours at my doctors office. It's $75 and they do it at 16 weeks. I like being able to do it there because they have my files and everything. Plus I tell myself if the baby doesn't behave at the anatomy scan you may not know what you're having so I like to double up my chances. DD had no problem showing us everything so hopefully this one will be as immodest. 
  • Random UO. I dont love pumpkin spice - actually I dont even like it. On or with anything.  :o
    SO PUMPED for pumpkin spice season right around the corner!!

My UO, I hate watching sports especially football.  And I live in New England where Tom Brady is considered the god of gods. 
  • edited August 2017
    Ashoes123 said:

My UO, I hate watching sports especially football.  And I live in New England where Tom Brady is considered the god of gods. 

Did you just take his name in vain... girl we are trying to go for 6. No bad juju

Eta:words
  • Ashoes123 said:

Ugh, I can't stand Tom Brady. Biggest baby in football. I hate the Pats too, while I'm at it. Though I suppose that's not an UO in NY.  :)

• I did the elective ultrasound with DD and this time. It was a great experience and only $30 where I am.  It was so much better at the anatomy scan bc I was fully focused on the health of the baby. Not that I wasn't with DS (health above all else for sure, it was just a lot of excitement and worry at the same time), but for me I just enjoyed it better. 

My UO- I'll preface this by saying I have never used one- bc I know I'm no expert. But I don't understand why bumpers in cribs are a no no? They can tell if a baby dies by suffocating... so how is this decreasing SIDS? I'm just saying it makes no logical sense. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My UO- I'll preface this by saying I have never used one- bc I know I'm no expert. But I don't understand why bumpers in cribs are a no no? They can tell if a baby dies by suffocating... so how is this decreasing SIDS? I'm just saying it makes no logical sense. 
    I think suffocation is included in SIDS. Bumpers are a suffocation risk, no matter how you label the death, they're still risky. I'm bad at keeping up with who is a FTM and who isn't but they make mesh crib numbers that are perfectly safe because the baby can still breathe through them if they get their face smashed against it. 
  • My UO- I'll preface this by saying I have never used one- bc I know I'm no expert. But I don't understand why bumpers in cribs are a no no? They can tell if a baby dies by suffocating... so how is this decreasing SIDS? I'm just saying it makes no logical sense. 
    I think suffocation is included in SIDS. Bumpers are a suffocation risk, no matter how you label the death, they're still risky. I'm bad at keeping up with who is a FTM and who isn't but they make mesh crib numbers that are perfectly safe because the baby can still breathe through them if they get their face smashed against it. 
    AAP still recommends no mesh bumpers because they haven't been proven to be any safer. Logically they should be, just wanted to let you know they aren't recommended 
    AAP still recommends no mesh bumpers because they haven't been proven to be any safer. Logically they should be, just wanted to let you know they aren't recommended 
    Well damn 
    This is my 3rd. All my research has suggested that SIDS is an 100% unexplained death. So how is suffocating included when an autopsy would show that? I won't use one bc there's no denying the decrease in SIDS since they have stopped being used... but I still think it's odd. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ugh, I hate football season. I just do not understand how it is entertaining. I live right in the heart of Patriot's country, too. It is unavoidable. 

I love pumpkin flavors! That and apple cider. I can't wait for the cool weather because I love these flavors warm. It is still too hot for me to enjoy them. Oh, I can't wait for warm apple cider donuts!

My understanding about bumpers is that it reduces airflow in the crib, contributing to Sids. I could be completely be remember this wrong though or thoughts could have changed in the 5 1/2 years since I was researching it. That is why mesh have not proven better. While more air can get through, it is still partially obstructed. I will need to look into it again to see if there are any new products (there seems to be for every thing else). It is super annoying waking up to a baby that got their leg stuck, but I would rather that to the alternative if there are no other proven safe methods. 
  • Oooh! Reading in March reminded me of mine! (Sorry it's a day late!) 
    UO: I hate character clothing. Pjs are great and my daughter loves her paw patrol nightgown but I hate character clothing otherwise. And shoes. I think it's super tacky. My sister thinks I'm mean, but it's not like my kids have ever asked for it. Yet....
    I hate character clothing too, but it is all my son will wear and my husband loves it. I have lost this battle. I am staying strong on the character shoes though. They are all so hideous and fall apart in a week. 
  • lainikins said:

I love pumpkin flavors! That and apple cider. I can't wait for the cool weather because I love these flavors warm. It is still too hot for me to enjoy them. Oh, I can't wait for warm apple cider donuts. 
     I can't wait for apple cider donuts! Our local grocery store makes the best ones! I never had them til i moved back east,  now they signal fall for me.  Nothing like an apple cider donut and hot beverage while watching the kids fall sports!

I am not a fan of pumpkin spice drinks,  however we make a pumpkin spice granola that is so yummy! I'm making the first batch of the year on Monday. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • I do not like the poop emoji. And I do not understand why it is on all the things! I saw poop emoji chapstick yesterday,  who wants to rub a poop shaped object on their mouth?

My kids are obsessed with it. It's annoying. 
  • I don't get the whole poop emoji fad either. It makes no sense to me.

My UO is that I actually like the show Caillou. I know a lot of people hate on it but I've always enjoyed it. Though I will admit it could definitely get annoying if you're stuck watching it all the time.
  • Here is one that is sure to be unpopular here. I do not like pets and do not understand the appeal. They are messy and take a lot of work and time. I am sure there are heartwarming moments and they give you lots of love, but they just make me itchy and sneezy and they leave hair everywhere.  It is one more thing to be constantly thinking about. 
  • lainikins said:
    Here is one that is sure to be unpopular here. I do not like pets and do not understand the appeal. They are messy and take a lot of work and time. I am sure there are heartwarming moments and they give you lots of love, but they just make me itchy and sneezy and they leave hair everywhere.  It is one more thing to be constantly thinking about. 
     I especially share this unpopular opinion now that I have kids. I can't imagine taking extra time to also try and deal with a pet. 
     It also probably makes a difference that I was not raised with pets either. 
  • ash0625 said:no
    I hate telling people I'm pregnant. Even people I'm close with. I am THRILLED for this baby, but I just don't like talking about it outside of this board and my family. It feels invasive and personal and people act like we're friends now just because they want to hear about the baby. 

We're not friends. Go away. 

ETA: I have watched the sun come from my desk every day week. I think I might be a little on the grumpy side. Forgive me. 

I feel the exact same way!!!! I thought it was just me! Also I feel like whenever you tell people you are pregnant  then you have to listen to them complain about their pregnancy and labor stories, no matter how many years ago it was.

I'm with you on this. At work we have weekly meetings and after the agenda we have a "anything new and exciting" section. People are surprised that I didn't announce my pregnancy. I'm like why? Most everyone at work knows now. I don't need to have a spotlight shined on me. 

Of course the woman who's harped on me about it the most is the one who announced my engagement during a meeting I couldn't attend before I could announce it so I'm honestly surprised she hasn't blurted it out.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

I hate telling people I'm pregnant. Even people I'm close with. I am THRILLED for this baby, but I just don't like talking about it outside of this board and my family. It feels invasive and personal and people act like we're friends now just because they want to hear about the baby. 

ETA: I have watched the sun come from my desk every day week. I think I might be a little on the grumpy side. Forgive me. 

I feel the exact same way!!!! I thought it was just me! Also I feel like whenever you tell people you are pregnant  then you have to listen to them complain about their pregnancy and labor stories, no matter how many years ago it was.

I'm with you on this. At work we have weekly meetings and after the agenda we have a "anything new and exciting" section. People are surprised that I didn't announce my pregnancy. I'm like why? Most everyone at work knows now. I don't need to have a spotlight shined on me. 

Of course the woman who's harped on me about it the most is the one who announced my engagement during a meeting I couldn't attend before I could announce it so I'm honestly surprised she hasn't blurted it out.
    Me too.  I've told a couple people at work, but mostly just management.  If I have news, I usually tell someone I know is a big gossip, but I'm fairly new at this company, so I haven't sorted out who that person is.  A lot of times it's the admin ladies, but not here.

So with all of you on this. I get awkward and uncomfortable about it. I don't like to be "fussed over" (DH and I even eloped to avoid all of the pre-wedding stuff) and I don't want to answer all of the questions that come with telling people.
  • I hate telling people too. Last time I held off with my students as long as humanly possible until they started being annoyingly sneaky with questions trying to figure it out. I finally told the most gossipy girls that wouldn't leave me alone so that they would tell everyone for me. It worked pretty well, lol. This time I still haven't told my students but they aren't as nosy a group as the last time so I might get away with it for a long while
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Team green is the best. The sex of the baby is totally unimportant to me.

I hate pregnancy t-shirts with silly sayings like "baby on board" or "oven" and "bun" with arrows. So dumb.