February 2018 Moms

Advice for introducing the cat to a new baby.

I've been following the dog thread and knew most of these, but picked up some good ideas to use with my pup.  But how about cats?  I have always had cats and did with DD1, DD2 and DD3, but they were super chill and I didn't worry.  All was good.  My cats now are more your typical cats - neurotic.  When they get disturbed, they fight with each other or pee where they aren't supposed to.  Any ideas for getting cats ready for a baby?

Re: Advice for introducing the cat to a new baby.

• hr1116hr1116 member
    edited August 2017
    I'm worried about this also, we have a naughty kitten that loves to destroy things and be cheeky, he's also deaf so he screams when he meows because he can't hear himself (I've mentioned him in another post haha) he sounds like a screaming baby!! Lol
    And we just adopted another cat that's super lovely and affectionate but I'm so anxious to see how they'll react to a baby! 
    I think we'll keep the cats away in their own rooms for a couple days, away from baby and just keep giving them things with the babies scent on it and whatnot and slowly introduce them. (That's how we introduced the 2 cats to each other)
    The cats already have their own rooms I know it's weird we just have spares lmao 
    I'm guessing it would be similar techniques to introducing a new baby to a dog. I heard to give the cat treats when it's near the baby, just associate nice things with each other. 
    I'm not too sure though I wish I could help more but good luck, I need it too! Waiting for more replies haha
  • We have 3 cats and a dog, and I think a lot of the dog tips apply to cats too... bring baby stuff in early so they can get used to them, play baby noises, let them sniff a blanket after baby is born.

I think the major difference is a cat's tendency to jump on furniture and potentially into cribs. I've been pondering whether or not to buy a net cover for over the crib (have no idea on the official term/name) but I've also heard that if you set up the crib early and put tape or tinfoil (something cats hate) on the crib/mattress, if/when they do jump in, they'll hate it and quickly learn not to.
  • Loading the player...
  • @ldawngirl781 I like the idea of putting something cats hate on the crib and getting them used to not going near it before you actually bring baby home 
    I have a feeling I won't be very successful with one of my cats he's just reckless haha! 
  • We have 3 cats and a dog, and I think a lot of the dog tips apply to cats too... bring baby stuff in early so they can get used to them, play baby noises, let them sniff a blanket after baby is born.

I think the major difference is a cat's tendency to jump on furniture and potentially into cribs. I've been pondering whether or not to buy a net cover for over the crib (have no idea on the official term/name) but I've also heard that if you set up the crib early and put tape or tinfoil (something cats hate) on the crib/mattress, if/when they do jump in, they'll hate it and quickly learn not to.
    Ah, yes, the tin foil trick.  I'd forgotten that.  I've done that for other things and it worked.  I'll definitely put tinfoil on the crib mattress.  Maybe some blown up (air, not helium) balloons too.  I haven't tried that with these cats, but seem to remember that cats don't like walking through balloons.
  • We put foil in the crib, pack n play, and swing. They hated it and left them alone. Once we brought DD home, two cats didn't care about her and one took one look at her and vomited. He took a little time to come around but they mostly couldn't be bothered to care she's here.
  • I also found I put some shelves up just for my cats, so they could get away from cheeky toddlers when need be, and they use them all the time. That won't help with a newborn so much. But has helped down the track
  • If you are worried about your cat having anxiety there is a product called Feliway.  It comes in diffuser form like a glade plugin, a spray and wipes.  It's artificial facial pheromones and based on the science of cat logic that facial pheromones are friendly markings, cats calm down.  I send it home with clients that are moving, having babies or for any other events that could stress out a cat.  

It has no odor or effect on people or dogs.  

When you get closer to your due date, start pretending to get into baby routine so an abrupt change doesn't stress kitty. 

Watch for changes in eating and litter box habits as those can be the ways your cat expresses stress.  

If needed, there are kitty anti anxiety meds and calming diets that your vet can help you with!

• edited August 2017
    @hms1219 my sister uses those  pheromones  and says they work! Glad to hear another good review. 

I have two cats and never had a problem with them.  If we put baby in a separate room, we just make sure there is no cat in there first and shut the door.  My cats have been really good with my babies… And much more gentle with them than they are with us… It's like they know That they are babies.  My cats tolerate a lot from my toddlers as well… They would never allow us to treat them that way though LOL. 

I read that the big deal with the cats was that they will sleep on baby's  face because of the milk smell.  I never had this issue, but I never left them alone with the cat either. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Our cat was terrified of DD when we first brought her home. She hid from us for days and wouldn't go near her for months when she finally did start to come around us again. Then she learned how to crawl lol. 

I've always been told cats will try to sleep on baby because they are looking for warmth, but just make sure the cat is not in the room and shut the door. Our ped always asked if we left the baby unsupervised with the cat in the same room and I was like "Is this a trick question??" 
  • @hms1219 I was going to mention Feliway too! It makes a difference. I don't have a cat now (last one died after over 21 years!) but we've had to introduce old cats to new cats or dogs when family members needed their pets taken care of or because of moving, combining pet families, etc. 

It is pretty pricey, so I would recommend getting it on Amazon. You can buy a 6 pack of the refills there. It's still expensive, but not as much as at a pet store. I would put one on each level. For example, we put one at the top of the stairs upstairs, and one in the kitchen by the cats' food dishes. It lasts longer if you set it on a timer that you can plug into the wall, like have it go on one hour, off the next, that way it is still constantly in the air but it won't be gone as fast.
  • I actually just ordered some Feliwayonline too just waiting for it to come in 
    I heard it works wonders, hopefully will keep the little ones stress free all the way till baby comes :)
  • I am worried about my cat, he is 10 years old and was always an indoor cat until we got a dog. Now he is an indoor-outdoor cat and does a lot of hunting outside; he often leaves little dead rodents/birds near our walkway. I'm very grossed out about the thought of him climbing on my counters nevermind the baby's nursery. We are going to keep a close eye on the cat and I'm considering putting a screen door on the nursery so we can see in but it will be off limits to both animals. I got the idea from a post on Pinterest and it looks very classy. Luckily it will be winter when DS is born so cat will be a lot cleaner since he'll be spending time indoors. I've also  read about cats stealing baby's breathe by laying on top of the baby in the crib, its concerning...Anyone else have an indoor-outdoor kitty they're worried about?

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• alemarie1 said:
    I am worried about my cat, he is 10 years old and was always an indoor cat until we got a dog. Now he is an indoor-outdoor cat and does a lot of hunting outside; he often leaves little dead rodents/birds near our walkway. I'm very grossed out about the thought of him climbing on my counters nevermind the baby's nursery. We are going to keep a close eye on the cat and I'm considering putting a screen door on the nursery so we can see in but it will be off limits to both animals. I got the idea from a post on Pinterest and it looks very classy. Luckily it will be winter when DS is born so cat will be a lot cleaner since he'll be spending time indoors. I've also  read about cats stealing baby's breathe by laying on top of the baby in the crib, its concerning...Anyone else have an indoor-outdoor kitty they're worried about?
    The screen door sounds like a good idea.  I would also mention calling your vet to get at least a fecal test done and deworm as well as make sure both your dog and cat are current on flea/tick prevention. There are some intestinal parasites that can be zoonotic meaning they affect animals and people.