February 2018 Moms

Weaning Your Current Nurseling.

I know there were a few ladies talking about weaning while pregnant. I thought it'd be nice The have a thread just for weaning related talk so it doesn't get lost in Randoms. 

Re: Weaning Your Current Nurseling.

• I don't know if it counts since I'm not currently weaning, but I did wean right at the beginning of this pregnancy per my OBs request and I'm glad I did. DS had just turned one and was still pretty dependent on nursing in the motn so I was still getting up at least twice a night, since weaning he sleeps through the night finally and I don't know if I'd be functional otherwise! It went better than I expected too, he's allergic to dairy so I give him almond milk, but he definitely doesn't like it as much as breastmilk so giving him sippies of almond milk when he wanted to nurse kind of weeded out the comfort sessions pretty quick. Good luck to all who are weaning, it can be emotional!!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • My dd3 weaned last month at 32 months. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. She still requested it a lot and told me she was sad that it was all gone. She still puts her hand down my shirt a lot and wants to snuggle. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm still on the fence over weaning or tandem nursing. I am currently nursing my 1 year old one time each morning and night. It really doesn't seem like she's getting much anymore, but I'll still let her do it as long as she is showing interest. Right now I'm thinking she will probably wean on her own sooner than later.
  • With baby #4 I was still nursing my 1.5 year old. Around 16 weeks my milk started to dry up and by 22-24weeks there was none left. I had plans to tandem but my LO weaned himself. If there wasn't milk, he wasn't having it. I was really sad and had some mom guilt because our plan to nurse for 2 years was cut short. But, LO wasn't upset and it was really great having him weaned when new baby came. He did seem interested in nursing again once the baby came but I offered him breastmilk in a cup and he was happy with that. 
  • Tandem nursing would scare me because I would worry about my toddler taking too much from my newborn. Despite extra pumping and making myself crazy, I've only been able to maintain an adequate supply, not a surplus. But that's partly too because I only have had 8 weeks of maternity leave each time, so I mostly pump, which just isn't as good
  • I'm also on the fence about weaning or tandem nursing. It is getting uncomfortable though with the nipple soreness. For those of you that weaned what was the process like?
  • winnie1122winnie1122 member
    edited August 2017
    @gymmonkey95 Since I had to quit kind of cold turkey when I saw my OB after getting pregnant, weaning was a bit fast and furious, which I wouldn't recommend but we survived. I replaced all nursing sessions with sippies of almond milk and still snuggled him while he drank it so we didn't have to lose that part of nursing. The first few sippies I had to warm up a little to be more like breastmilk. I made the transition as smooth as I could and I think that helped. If he tugged at my shirt and wanted to nurse I just hugged him and offered a sippy. He would stop taking the sippy if he wasn't actually hungry and just wanted the snuggles. Night time was the hardest because that's when he did the most comfort nursing, so I just had to rock him extra and I still offered the almond milk just in case. After about 3 nights he realized the almond milk was the only menu item and he stopped taking it, lol. I still had to go in and rock him but it took less and less time each night until he finally stayed asleep through the night. I weaned at one, so he hadn't slept through the night in a LONG time, so this was a big happy dance moment that made the weaning easier for me. I was extremely emotional about it the first few days since I hadn't had much time to prepare to start the process, but DH was helpful in keeping me on track with it and sometimes he would give the almond milk sippy if I was feeling too much like giving in and letting DS nurse. All in all it really only took about a week before he was totally fine with it and didn't even try to nurse. He doesn't even really drink much almond milk now either, lol, he just likes water. 

ETA: as far as weaning on my side, I pumped just a little to relieve pressure until my boobs got the message that they were done. It took about a week, but I think my supply was starting to tank at that point anyways so that probably helped.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • of those who have nursed through pregnancy before did anyone make it all the way through without losing their supply?
  • momto4-2 said:
    With baby #4 I was still nursing my 1.5 year old. Around 16 weeks my milk started to dry up and by 22-24weeks there was none left. I had plans to tandem but my LO weaned himself. If there wasn't milk, he wasn't having it. I was really sad and had some mom guilt because our plan to nurse for 2 years was cut short. But, LO wasn't upset and it was really great having him weaned when new baby came. He did seem interested in nursing again once the baby came but I offered him breastmilk in a cup and he was happy with that. 
    I wanted to continue so badly... and like 12 weeks noticed a dip in supply but my 17 month old didn't really fuss.... and then literally like 2 days later... BAM .... not even a drop was there!

I have nursed a total of 68 months and never had supply issues but this was no joke:(
    Luckily he transitioned to whole milk in a cup (albeit vanilla flavoring in it) and has done just fine 
  • @Acreativephipps I got pregnant with baby #2 just before baby #1's first birthday. I nursed through the pregnancy and then tandem nursed for 10 months. I'm currently nursing baby #3 and 14 wks pregnant with baby #4. So far things are going well. I'm hoping to make it at least to her 2nd Birthday in Dec. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Sorry I'm so late to this...read it when it started and got interrupted, came back another time and got interrupted again....but here I am!! My experience was similar to @winnie1122 but different timing/reasons. I noticed a drop in my supply around 8 weeks, which freaked me out as I was ok with weaning but hoped it'd be a gradual process since my son was such a boob addict. A few weeks ago I met with a ped to get a second opinion on my sons weight plateau/slow gain, and while she was supportive of breastfeeding, she suggested sticking to nap time/bed time instead of letting him snack whenever he wanted even though it would be a minute here or there and I didn't really think he was getting much anyways. I felt ok with trying this since he was also still up at least once in the night to nurse the barely there milk, and getting my boobs tugged at every five minutes for one sip was getting old. It took a couple days of offering cows milk in a cup and "snuggles" as a replacement (he previously refused cows milk, but I was firm during this time that it was cows milk or nothing) and then he was cool with it. There were two days where it sucked and there was some screaming and tears and clawing at my chest, but then it was fine and overall I'd say that was way easier than I expected. Now he will ask for "snuggles" and signs milk (won't say it to this day lol) if he wants to "snack". Occasionally he'll still ask to nurse outside of the usual times but I'll offer the snuggles and remind him of when he gets to actually nurse. Still nursing at naptime, bedtime, sometimes first thing in the morning, or when he's super upset. Also nurse him if he wakes in the night and we're somewhere I can't let him cry for a while like at the lake with family. I've noticed now that this is all we're doing I have pretty much zero left. I've been hand expressing to see what's there, and it takes a lot to even get a drop, and he nurses for a few minutes now at each session, so I'm thinking I'm just going to start dropping the sessions altogether. I'm ok with this since I do love nursing but will have another one soon enough, and I was nervous for the transition to tandem, but also I'm happy to have a few months of him not being so dependent on me before I start all over!