May 2018 Moms
Options

Anyone plan on breatfeeding/pumping?

2»

Re: Anyone plan on breatfeeding/pumping?

• Options
    My daughter is 21 months and still breastfeeds every couple of days but she's pretty much done. I'm excited to start the BF journey all over again with this baby! 

September "Falling for Fall" Siggy Challenge

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Does anyone have a brand of bottle they found easy to transition baby to? I exclusively breastfed my daughter and she refused every bottle I tried for months. I'd like to be able to pump when I go back to work and breastfed at home. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ninja_and_roo I would only buy a single bottle (we landed on tommee tippee after much trial and error). We tried 6-7 different bottles and he’d take one and Id think finally and would buy a three pack then a few days later he’d reject it.  Part of the reason is I wasn’t diligent about making sure he had a bottle every day before I went back to work part time and I had excess lipase I didn’t know about until several months in.  Also glass bottles are much easier to keep clean with how fatty breastmilk is.   
  • Options
    @ninja_and_roo We had a lot of luck with the Medela, and Avent bottles. I switched to a Pura Kiki bottle later on because I don't like using plastic if possible. This time around I'll probably do the Pura Kiki from the get go, and I'm also looking into using the Mason Bottles. Considering how badly jaundiced J was I'm 98% certain this one will be as well, so I'm going to start pumping before they arrive. That way I can hopefully avoid formula supplementation this go round. I'll probably introduce a bottle after about a week, to top off after they've nursed. (This was SO's job last go round.)
  • Options
    dinonuggetdinonugget member
    edited September 2017
    @ivyvines6 just to give you some hope DS1 was severely jaundiced at birth, he was borderline needing a blood transfusion and under the lights 24/7 for fives days in the hospital. It was my biggest fear with #2 but he ended up being perfectly fine and didn't need the lights at all.

@ninja_and_roo we've used the Lansinoh Momma bottles with both kids. They were recommended by my LC and they were the only ones DS1 would take after trying 6-7 others.

*Edited because I hit post before finishing typing.
  • Options
    With DS1 we EBF for a full year. With DS2 it was about 6 months EBF then I just nursed morning and evening and supplemented- that was really nice and so much less stressful- I hated that pump! 
  • Options
    justsuzie said:
    FTM here and I hope to BF.  We are pretty hippy dippy over in my home and right when DH found out I was PG he stop buying any processed foods and went completely organic. I think he went a bit overboard.  But there's nothing more organic than breast milk, so I hope to BF for as long as I can.  @3littles3angels Wow, good for you for donating. I've heard BM is like liquid gold.  
    The first time you spill the breastmilk you just spent 20 minutes pumping in the middle of the night, you will cry hysterically. Word of warning. 
  • Options
    I bf my first until sometime in my third tri when my milk dried up. He relatched after his brother was born and we tandem nursed for nine months. Number two is almost 16 months and still nursing but I'm not sure if he'll wean or tandem with number three.
    November Siggy Challenge

• Options
    justsuzie said:
    FTM here and I hope to BF.  We are pretty hippy dippy over in my home and right when DH found out I was PG he stop buying any processed foods and went completely organic. I think he went a bit overboard.  But there's nothing more organic than breast milk, so I hope to BF for as long as I can.  @3littles3angels Wow, good for you for donating. I've heard BM is like liquid gold.  
    The first time you spill the breastmilk you just spent 20 minutes pumping in the middle of the night, you will cry hysterically. Word of warning. 
    Or you wake up to realize you were so tired you left the bottle of pumped milk sitting on the counter and it's been too long to save it.
  • Options
    justsuzie said:
    Or you wake up to realize you were so tired you left the bottle of pumped milk sitting on the counter and it's been too long to save it.
    Or you turn on the pump but forget to attach the bottle and don't realize it until you are COVERED in milk. At work. 
  • Options
    I plan to breastfeed. First time around I was able to breastfeed and pump though year one and then weaned. Finding time to pump at work was a struggle but I am determined to make it work again. First time around my little man had trouble gaining weight so I had to burse then pump then give a bottle and it was a vicious cycle for a while till he gained some weight to where we could just nurse. 
  • Options
    I plan to breastfeed. But, if I've learned anything as a parent, it's that I often eat my words and things don't always turn out as planned. So while I hope to breastfeed and really really enjoyed the experience with my first child, I am also going into it recognizing that sometimes things happen and it may not be possible. I don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't work out. I had some friends who planned to breastfeed, and when it wasn't possible, went through a very difficult time emotionally thinking they had somehow failed their child. 

Fed is best. Breast, formula, exclusive pumping, whatever. Aim for what you want to do, and seek support if it's a struggle (lactation consultants are incredible), but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out.