February 2018 Moms

VBAC thread

The actual VBAC board is kinda dead...

Anyone attempting a VBAC with this baby?

Have you had a successful VBAC before?

Do you have any tips or encouragement to share?

Re: VBAC thread

• I guess I'll start! I won't be much help but I am hoping for a VBAC. I don't have an OB yet so hopefully when I get referred to one they are on board with a VBAC! Ive only had my DS and I ended in a c-section since he didn't want to come down the birth canal. Any advice would be great!
  • C section for malpresentation for DS1. VBAC'ed successfully with DS2. Hoping to VBAC again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • I am VBACing. I hope. My first was vaginal which, according to my doctor, makes my chances of a successful VBAC pretty high (my second was a premature Emergency section due to fetal heart issues).  The biggest concern right now is pain management bc they aren't sure a epi will work and that scares the crap outta me. 
  • I'm considering a VBAC this go around. I have an abnormally small cervix and DD was projected to be 10 pounds. I decided to schedule a c section rather than end up in an emergency situation. I'm glad that we made that choice. She ended up being 8.9 at 39 weeks so would have been 9 pounds. I got two opinions and my OB sat with me after and said she thinks I did the right thing. 

Well this time ill have an almost 2 year old and I'm scared of a c section recovery. My OB said as long as I have a healthy pregnancy she's comfortable with me attempting a VBAC. She did tell me that if I can dilate on my own to 3/4 they can give me a little pitocin to help me along. She's going to monitor my pregnancy and we will make a for sure decision later. I'm just so afraid of doing the wrong thing. 
  • Im hoping for my first vbac. This is baby 2. Last kiddo was 9.11 and just wouldn't descend. Im looking into new providers now because that seems to be a HUGE factor in succcess. Trying to get all the info i can!
  • I am totally on the fence. I have a bunch of health issues - my last baby was 9.8lb two weeks early with very broad shoulders (and a head in the 99th percentile). I also developed pre-eclampsia so he was an emergency c. I also have a heart condition and Lupus which means a vaginal birth could be a real strain on me. That said.... I am thinking about trying depending on the size of the baby. I would like to experience a vaginal delivery and recover faster. My biggest concern is that I had a horrific PPH last time (lost 2/3 of my blood) and my understanding is that your risk of PPH is greater with an emergency-c than a planned one. And the risk of emergency c for VBAC is reasonably high? Would love to know what stats you guys have heard and what your doctors say. @smorzandoj I also may have trouble with an epi if my platelets drop again and I don't think I can do VBAC without having the option.... I am so confused and anxious!!!
  • @LydRussell I can tell you that my recover from a scheduled c section was not that bad. The people I know who had an emergency followed by a schedule also said it was much easier. 

I hope you get the birth you want either way. I'm sorry you have so many health concerns going on. 
  • There are a lot of factors that go into how likely it is that a vbac will be successful, some of which you won't know until close to term (look up Bishop score, which tells you how favorable your cervix is). In general, they won't induce for vbac (increased risk of uterine rupture), so you need to go into labor on your own. If you want to try a vbac, you need to cage your expectations and know you might wind up with another C section. If you've ever had a classic C section (vertical incision; often used in emergencies or for preemies), most OBs won't do VBAC.

i decided with my OB that I wanted to try vbac, but if labor wasn't progressing well, I was going to pull the plug and get a C section. I didn't want to labor for 30+ hours and then have major surgery. I was fortunate that it went very smoothly. They've shown that if properly selected, VBAC is successful like 77% of the time. To me, that was good enough to risk. And there's some benefit to the baby for TOLAC (trial of labor), even if you still wind up with a C section.
  • @LydRussell the epi thing is making me wonder if I should just go for a RCS. After the contractions the other night I don't know if I can do this without an epi. 
  • There are a lot of factors that go into how likely it is that a vbac will be successful, some of which you won't know until close to term (look up Bishop score, which tells you how favorable your cervix is). In general, they won't induce for vbac (increased risk of uterine rupture), so you need to go into labor on your own. If you want to try a vbac, you need to cage your expectations and know you might wind up with another C section. If you've ever had a classic C section (vertical incision; often used in emergencies or for preemies), most OBs won't do VBAC.

i decided with my OB that I wanted to try vbac, but if labor wasn't progressing well, I was going to pull the plug and get a C section. I didn't want to labor for 30+ hours and then have major surgery. I was fortunate that it went very smoothly. They've shown that if properly selected, VBAC is successful like 77% of the time. To me, that was good enough to risk. And there's some benefit to the baby for TOLAC (trial of labor), even if you still wind up with a C section.
    I will be getting assessed at 28 weeks and then 38 weeks. DH was initially not on board because he was frustrated that it took so long to determine that DD wad not in the right position (and it put me through a lot before I ended up having the c section). So we now have a similar plan (as long as doctor agrees I am a candidate) as you. If anything about the next labor starts to feel to similar to the last one (doesn't start off in right position despite attempts; unsure of exact position; not progressing; etc) we will ask about a c section before there's 24 hours of labor and 2 hours of pushing involved!
  • I really wanted a c section since I had no pain recovering last time. (they cut the nerves or what ever the term was so I literally was up trying to walk to Dunkin' Donuts in the lobby the next day and everyone thought I was inhuman)

I just keep thinking about it, and I don't want to not know what it's like to birth my child. To pull him/her on my chest and see my H's reaction right next to my face. I really want that moment. 

But im really scared. I'm more scared of a vaginal birth than a c section in terms of recovery. My friend said it burns for days and I'm such a baby about things like that 
  • @SunflowerMama428 I'm afraid of having a 4th degree tear or needing reparative surgery. I'm not a sentimental about the "birth" aspect honestly. Maybe it's because I had contractions from 33 weeks on but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. 

All I know is it made me sad when my nephew wanted me to pick him up and I couldn't. I'll probably be devastated if I can't lift DD. The recovery (physically) wasn't bad. I felt great but I also overdid it fairly often thinking I was better off than I was. Ugh. 

We need blinking lights telling us what we should do. I want a fortune teller. 
  • @SunflowerMama428 I'm afraid of having a 4th degree tear or needing reparative surgery. I'm not a sentimental about the "birth" aspect honestly. Maybe it's because I had contractions from 33 weeks on but I don't feel like I'm missing anything. 

All I know is it made me sad when my nephew wanted me to pick him up and I couldn't. I'll probably be devastated if I can't lift DD. The recovery (physically) wasn't bad. I felt great but I also overdid it fairly often thinking I was better off than I was. Ugh. 

We need blinking lights telling us what we should do. I want a fortune teller. 
    And now I'm back to being okay with a c section. I forgot about tearing 
  • @SunflowerMama428 last time my doctor said it was a good possibility I'd have a bad tear with a big baby. A mom on my last BMB did have a 4th degree from her 10 pounder. While DD was only 8.9 I don't really want to need my anus repaired 
  • A lot to think about but we have plenty of time I guess! Now that I am thinking about tears and shoulder dystocia, another c-section sounds ok... maybe I am romanticising a normal delivery. Ultimately it is going to be whatever is safest (and hopefully best for my vagina :wink:)
  • @SarahFoley725 speaking of anal repairs, my MIL has some bowel incontinence from delivering my husband. That's enough to scare me straight to the operating theatre. Big babies run in the family. 
  • I will say - my recovery from my vbac was SO much easier than my C section (which wasn't bad at all either). But I didn't need any pain medicine at all and I could pick up my son the next day without any issue. I didn't need any stitches, but the "burning" down there was not bad at all. The squirt bottle and witch hazel helped. And it was fine in 5 days.
  • I had a c section with DS because he was so big the doctors were saying I most likely wouldn't be able to deliver him naturally without them having to break his shoulders (he was measuring 10.10 the day of induction) but I also had gestational hypertension so labor could've gotten out of hand quickly. So I've asked my midwife/Nurse if I would be able to attempt VBAC and she's already shut it down because of the hypertension :( my recovery from the c section was terrible the first time around so I'm kind of anxious knowing I'm going to go through the recovery again but with a 3 year old at home this time! 
  • @SarahFoley725 I have been giving this a lot of thought too. With not being able to pick up DD, it might get bad. But it's not like she can't crawl up and sit in my lap. 

I also know someone whose mom convinced her to VBAC and was so mad at her after. She felt like the recovery was way worse then the section. 

I also feel feel like I had such a good recovery with DD that the second won't be too bad either (even though an L&D nurse has warned me it probably will be...but I know that's just to prepare me for the worse if it does happen to be a bad recovery). 
  • So. This sucks. I had my 16w today and my doctor said we are scheduling a RCS at 39 weeks. If I go into labor before great we will vbac. If not baby has to come out nonlater than that bc of prior complications with uterine infection due to the placenta deteriorating bc of hypertension. He said it may even happen at 37 weeks depending on my twice a week NSTs. Stupid.  :|:|
  • That's a bummer! I'm sorry. But maybe baby will cooperate...with my first, my water broke the night before my scheduled induction. With my second, my water broke the night before my scheduled repeat C section (and I successfully VBAC'ed). You never know!
  • @smorzandoj I'm sorry. That's all news no one wants to hear. I hope it all ends up working out for you. 
  • @smorzandoj that does suck. Sorry to hear that. You never know what will be though! Fingers crossed for you that labour hits a little earlier 
  • I think it's great that vbacs are more available, because above all I believe women should have more of a say in what happens to their own body. @smorzandoj I really hope you get the experience you want this time.

Personally, though, I think I just want another c-section. It's a relief to see there are other moms who are scared of a vbac. People look at me like I'm crazy when they ask if I'm going for a vbac with my second and I say probably not. I'm really curious if there is anyone here who had a vbac and preferred their c-section?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @smorzandoj - my OB did something similar with me for DS2. DS1 was a CS because he was breech and up until about 35 weeks we talked about a VBAC as a perfectly good option for #2.  I had an US at 36 weeks and she all the sudden said nope, the baby is too big we can't risk it. He was 8.6 when he was born at 40w and it wouldn't have been a problem. I wasn't too happy at first but the recovery (even with a 2yr old) wasn't as bad the second time around.  I hope things work out in your favor!
  • I originally wanted a VBAC but at my first examination, OB said he felt way too much scar tissue and didn't like the placement of the incision from my emergency c-section 15 years ago. That combined with being an hour & a half away from the hospital he said unless I'm flat out determined, he'd be more comfortable with a RCS. A little disappointing but of rather be safe then have complications on the road to the hospital while in active labor.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Why am I already chickening myself out of attempting VBAC :s I need to take a chill pill but I'm apparently a freak and think I need to worry about this right now. 
  • Why am I already chickening myself out of attempting VBAC :s I need to take a chill pill but I'm apparently a freak and think I need to worry about this right now. 
    It's hard to know that you don't know what your experience is going to be. Most FTM assume they won't need a C section, and it's easy if you choose a repeat C - you even get to pick the date and time. But knowing going into it that it could happen either way makes it harder to mentally prepare. Especially when you're trying to decide how to manage taking care of kid #1! 
  • pettycrockerpettycrocker member
    edited September 2017
    I had an amazing VBAC that ended up being accidentally med free... 9hrs of labor from the time my water broke until she was born, it was great. I felt like a million bucks immediately after. I'm hoping to have another this time. 

TIPS- My OB was trying to push a csection on me from the very beginning. He absolutely would not let me go past my due date but I waited until the last minute (like 3 days before my EDD) to schedule the RCS, she came on her own 2 days before that, so try that if your OB is trying to be pushy 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
    I am with you on this one!!! I assumed I would do a VBAC since my doctor said I should try. And now I'm not sure if I was to just have a repeat C or if I should try for a VBAC. We don't have any family in the area (our closest relatives are a 28hr drive away) so it would be nice to know what day I wouldn't be having the baby so I can have somewhere to take my DS! 
    But im also worried about how I will be able to take care of our toddler if I have a repeat C. Too many unknowns!
  • I hate not knowing if I can do it. Like, I know I can have a scheduled c section and be fine. I don't even know if I can push the baby out or if I'll end up in an emergency etc. I have a long time to figure it out but naturally I have to worry about it right this second. DH is not helpful with things like this at all which makes it a lot harder for me. 
  • jlcrunchberryjlcrunchberry member
    edited September 2017
    DD was a csection due to irregular heartbeat and negative reaction to pitocin at 40+4. I was severally dehydrated and weak from laboring for 16 hours unmedicated. They were unable to place the epidural so I was put completely under and missed my daughter's birth. I finally met her a few hours after her birth.

DS was a VBAC at 41+6 I was stubborn and refused pitocin due to my previous history with it. After 4 membrane sweeps my water broke. I labored for 43.5 hours and gave birth unmedicated after my previously placed epidural had worn off. My placenta stuck necessitating me to be put under after giving birth to my son for exploratory surgery (they feared my uterus had been missewn into my previous csection scar necessitating a possible hysterectomy but I wouldn't find out until I woke up.) It turned out to just be a stubborn placenta necessitating a D&C for removal.

If I have anything to say about it I'll be going for my second VBAC with my current baby.