February 2018 Moms

Pregnancy Safe Skincare Routine ??

Hi Ladies,

Who has good tips/tricks for a pregnancy safe skin care routine? My skin has broken out and been super oily. My make up looks awful by the end of the day and my skin is so greasy. I know many products are not safe during pregnancy, especially acne treatments. 

Any "go to" products? 

Re: Pregnancy Safe Skincare Routine ??

• I have been using a lot of young living products. They have a peppermint satin facial scrub that's amazing. I use it daily. Chapstick. Makeup. Had lots of breakouts early on. And the facial scrub seemed to help tremendously 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wait, no zit cream? 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Loading the player...
  • I use proactiv once a day. Nothing else works. And it's really not that pressing IMO. 
  • I'm using my same old neutrogena face scrub. The only restriction my OB gave me was retinol. I'm still breaking out though.  
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Thanks ladies. I have been using cetaphil but it obviously isn't working.  I have a good pca cleanser but it is too strong. 
  • Honestly, this has been driving me nuts as well. Everything I read on the internet contradicted each other. Some said no salicylic acid, some said it's fine... same with glycolic acid. Then some said stick with organic only. Blah blah blah.

I finally asked my dr and he said to really just stay away from retinol. I think like with most things, you have to just do what works for you. So I made simply adjustments... I cut out retinol products, added in some more natural products, but kept some other as long as it didn't contain retinol. To answer your original question though, I really like Boscia clear complexion cleanser and tonic.
  • I've been using Cetaphil oil control face wash and face lotion. I've heard a lot of contradictory information, too. But I also read all Cetaphil products are pregnancy safe, so I'm going with that. I haven't had any skin issues really.
    I use Puracy shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion, which is parabin free and my hair stylist complimented how healthy my hair is. I use the crystal deodorant now and some organic makeup. (Not exactly what you asked, but what I changed in my routine)
  • alice0218alice0218 member
    edited August 2017
    I read things on the internet too that said no salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide which are in a majority of acne products, but I asked my doctor if that's true at my last appointment because I was concerned and she told me don't worry. Anything that's OTC and available at the pharmacy or Target-like place isn't going to harm anything. It's just some prescription acne medications that matter. I guess like most things on the internet, take it with a grain of salt and ask your doctor.

So I am using the same products I used before. That said, what worked before is not working as well now. It's hormonal acne and no cleanser or cream is going to stop it from occurring, so I can only try to treat it once it surfaces and keep it clean to prevent non-hormonal acne. My skin is usually extremely clear with only occasional breakouts during my period using these products, right now, it's a whole 'nother story.  :( I will share what I use regularly anyway, just because I am a skincare nerd :D .

I normally don't wash my face except in the shower because I'm messy and get the whole bathroom wet. Instead I just remove eye makeup and use micellar cleansing water on a cotton pad. My favorite is Bioderma Sensibio H2O. Washes that I use in the shower on rotation (depending what I feel like) include: Boscia detoxifying black cleanser, Boscia deep-pore cleansing stick (great for taking to the gym or travel), Caudalie instant foaming cleanser (so gentle, used for 10+ years, not the same bottle of course :D ), and Jack Black face buff energizing scrub (like 1-2x/week). 

Topical treatments I use are: Mary Kay's clear proof acne treatment gel. My mom does Mary Kay but this is one of only like 4 products that I really love and it it totally works. I am kind of a Sephora lover and don't like being tied to one brand but this stuff really works and dries out acne without drying out my skin. I have sensitive skin. I actually just asked my mom to order 2 more tubes since my skin is shit right now (at least compared to normal). I know my acne is coming no matter what because hormones, but this stuff still clears up blemishes faster than anything else I've used. Also maybe 2x a week Jack Black power peel multi-acid resurfacing pads (these are almost as good as the Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels but they cost like 2.5x less! Honestly they aren't the same but I still like them and so much cheaper), also when my skin has no major blemishes, just for maintenance I use Sunday Riley Good Genes All-in-one Lactic acid treatment all over at night after a serum (Luna, they are soooo much cheaper if you buy them in the gift set. I almost always try to find  gift set of products I like because it's a lot cheaper than buying individual).

That is all. I just always use light moisturizers too, but this thread is about acne so I won't talk about those. eta: links.
  • I use a tea tree facial soap as a cleanser. A couple times a week I exfoliate and use a mask, both are charcoal and they do wonders! 
  • I'm Sephora obsessed too! And I never met someone who uses as much facial stuff as I do either lol!
  • I've been using this. My skin still isn't perfect, but it's better than it was before...
  • I broke down and went to get a facial. I had cystic acne before I got pregnant, and I feel like it might be worse. I think I'll have to be getting facials more often. I hope the other ladies helped you find something that might work! Good luck! 
  • I've been sticking with micellar water as a makeup remover, and tea tree oil products to cleanse.  My acne is hormonal right now (all over my chin and jaw line) so it does what it wants!
  • No advice, just +1 to really bad breakouts right now. I talked to my Dr. And she said she could prescribe me something if I wanted, but it would just be to make me feel better,  because the acne is hormonal and nothing topical will really help.

If it helps with piece of mind, I had this same experience with my first pregnancy, and around 20wks my skin got drastically better.
  • mlb15mlb15 member
    edited August 2017
    *Removed for TOU Violation*
  • I use my clarisonic with philosophy pure cleanser everyday to remove my makeup.   I also use tea tree astringent spray from lush for breakouts... my acne was real bad with my last pregnancy and I had to go to a dermatologist, she gave me a prescription for a pregnancy safe topical antibiotic cream that works well.

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• I don't have much advice, but I wanted to chime in to commiserate.  My skin was not so great before going on the pill, but then coming off last summer, it was the worst it's EVER been.  It has gotten slightly better since becoming pregnant, but not tons.  I use Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Cleanser to remove makeup and wash my face in the shower, and occasionally use witch hazel as a toner (but then saw somewhere that it's not safe- anyone have advice on that?).  I also use an apricot scrub a couple of times per week.  I asked my doctor as well, and she said benzoyl peroxide WAS okay, and also said salicylic acid was okay as like a spot treatment, because you're only using a little.  This stuff is hard, I think, because there is so much contradicting information out there! 
  • My dermatologist recommended Cerave products during pregnancy, they have a face wash for oily skin that's been great for my breakouts !
  • I'm tempted to buy every single thing you all have recommended, but I think mine's hormonal too. My chin is covered and it does not matter what I do, a new painful friend joins the others every day. 
  • My doc said my 5% lactic acid peel was safe but it was irritating my skin so I'm taking a break from it. I use a sensitive skin neutrogena face wash (at night I use the clarisonic), Buffet face serum from TO (the ordinary), natural moisturizing factors from TO, a tarte eye cream, sometimes TO plant squalene oil and Mario bedescue rose water (mainly because it smells amazing and cools me off) I use a neutrogen sunscreen during the day.

The Ordinary is my favorite. It's so inexpensive but has the same active ingredients and quality as the super pricy brands.