September 2017 Moms

2nd+ time moms, how many Braxton Hicks is a lot?

With #1 I experienced some BH but not tons, maybe a few here and there. I delivered 8 days early. 4 years later here I am having tons of uncomfortable, borderline painful contractions. 2 weeks ago I was having about 10 a day, and today I had about 10 before lunch, but not in any regular pattern, mostly situational like standing up/sitting down, etc. I'm 34 weeks 2 days. I've been drinking lots of fluids recently so I don't suspect dehydration. I'm kinda freaking out because my parents are going to be traveling the first 2 weeks of September and I'm worried I might go early. What's your experience with BH?

Re: 2nd+ time moms, how many Braxton Hicks is a lot?

• I had very few with my son, but I had a ton with my daughter. I was kind of freaking out with her like you are now. I was dilated to a 3 at like 37 weeks and was almost a 6 before entering active labor. I ended up having her at 39 weeks 6 days, so not early at all. I am having a ton now with #3. I worry a little when I have some stronger ones, but in the end I don't think I will have this baby terribly early.

imageimage

TTC #1 January 2009
    January 2010 SA results: Count 16 million, Motility 40%, Morphology 2%
    January 2010- Surprise BFP! DS born 10/1/2010 :)
    January 2013 TTC #2
    September 2013 Repeat SA: Count= 1.7 million, Motility= 24%, Morphology= 2%
    November 6th 1st Appointment with RE: diagnosed with severe MFI
    Testing to try to determine a cause & possible treatment for MFI
    CD 3 blood work for me. RE does not want to repeat my HSG/lap at this point,
    but may want to before moving forward with any fertility treatments.
    After seeing the uro, DH is currently taking lots of supplements and clomid to try to boost his count. We will have a repeat SA in February to see if it works.
    Follow up SA numbers are: Count= 4 million, Motility= 40%, Morphology= 1%
    Uro wants us to have another follow up SA 5/9 to see if we see further improvement than we are back to the RE to make a game plan.

SA 5/9/2014 Count: 12 Million, Motility: 60%, and Morphology 2%. We will be doing iui #1 in late June

IUI #1 6/28 clomid + ovidrel, post wash count 3 million total sperm= BFN

IUI # 2 7/21 clomid+ ovidrel. post wash count 900,000 total sperm= BFN

IVF planned for early November- cancelled due to cyst

December IVF #1- 22 eggs, 20 mature,16 fertilized

12/9 Transferred 1 4AA Blast, 6 frosties

*****Everyone is welcome******

• It is normal and common for you to have more BH with the more pregnancies you have. It absolutely sure not mean you will be going into labor early. Ive had both my other children early and am still pregnant with number 3 at 37 weeks exactly today. Don't freak out. Baby will come when he/she is ready. 
  • Loading the player...
  • OP, there are days I feel like the queen of BH contractions, lol.  I had them all the time with DS as well.  Earlier in my pregnancy, they were mostly situational as well- sitting up, standing down, walking a lot, picking stuff up, etc.  I'm 36+6, and they happen whenever they damn well feel like it now.  It's worse at night, if I've had a busy day and been on my feet a lot and drinking less water.

Unfortunately, I can't predict if you'll have the baby early or not.  However, I do recommend that you give your MW or OB nurse line a call if you have any concerns at all.  They may want to have you come in for monitoring at L&D if it's happening a lot, especially if they happen without any reason (like standing up).  It's still early for you to go into labor, and you want that LO to incubate as long as possible!  Keep us updated, I hope everything calms down for you. 
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I had a ton with DD and haven't had a single one this time (35+4 today). DD was born at 39+6. I don't think they are necessarily related to early labor.
  • I like what @Coloradohiker had to say.
    As for me, this is my second baby and I am having way more BH, especially at night. They happen when the baby is active, when my bladder is full, when I stand up, when I sit down, when I don't have enough water and when I walk too fast. They are uncomfortable, but I don't think they are doing anything to my cervix. If you're having a ton or they are accompanied by any of the other signs of real contractions/labor, calling your OB is a good choice.
  • I've been having a lot more BH this time around as well, but I'm awful at drinking water so I suspect that's my main problem. In talking with my OB, she said the rule of thumb is if you have 4 or more in an hour than they want you to go in to L&D to get checked out. So that's what I've been paying attention to. I probably get well over 10 a day at this point (34+3) but as long as I don't hit the 4 in an hour mark I'm just hanging in there.
  • @brbmama has a good point, one I forgot to mention.  My MWs also have a certain amount of BHs they don't want me to exceed in an hour (5 or 6, I believe).  Personally, they asked that if I pass that limit that I lay down and drink more, and to call if they get excessive or timeable.  I stick with my original advice to call the nurse line, though, if you have any concerns at all.  They would MUCH rather you call than have pre-term labor and birth.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm confused about Braxton Hicks-  can you explain what they feel like? I'm 35 weeks and I get sharp cramps when I go from sitting/laying to standing, which take my breath away and last a minute or two. Deep in the pelvis and radiates to lower back and thighs. I thought that was round ligament pain?  Didn't have any pain first pregnancy, so I dunno, lol
  • jschmidt6jschmidt6 member
    edited August 2017
    @ailynk Sounds like BH. If you press your abdomen it should feel very firm during a contraction. In my case I feel like I'm going to pee my pants because his head is right on my bladder!
  • jschmidt6jschmidt6 member
    edited August 2017
    Update: I started having contractions 6 to 10 minutes apart yesterday for an hour while at work and called the OB. They brought me in to get checked. The contractions by this point had been every 10 min for 3 hours but I had not lost my mucus plug so I didn't think it was active labor. She said my cervix was good and closed and I should go home and drink lots of fluids. That was a relief. I had the strongest contraction of the night last night in the grocery store parking lot and it was so bad I couldn't walk, talk or sit down, I just hung onto the car door for a few minutes. I'm sure I was a sight to see hahha. I did pack my hospital bags last night, so at least something good came out of it!!!