February 2018 Moms

Gender reveal thoughts?

I was on the no gender reveal team ,  but we are getting our results from the harmony test,  later this week i think on Friday.  So i was thinking maybe of inviting the local grandparents over for dinner,  and for the dessert cake (We always have dessert when we eat with the grandparents) have a reveal cake? Dh wants to know asap, but he could wait til dinnertime,  right? 

Does this seem like a good idea? Or just skip it? Reveals were not a thing when i had my older Kids,  and its dh's first child.  

Are you doing a private reveal? A party? Or nothing?
BabyFruit Ticker
older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 

Re: Gender reveal thoughts?

• Do what you want! I think many people express an anti-gender reveal sentiment, but I think that's more geared towards big parties where people who may not be as "invested" into the outcome are invited.  A fun reveal for your family sounds really fun and memorable.
  • I agree with @Ashoes123, do what you want. I wish I had the patience to be able to wait myself. I would never be able to. I think it is cute with just a few close people. Even if you want a big party, go for it. So what works for you. Check with bakeries before hand if you plan on having it inside a cake for that day. From someone who used to work at a bakery, the baker who made our cakes was only there until about 8 or 9 am since he got in so early to bake everything. Obviously all bakeries run differently, but just call around before hand to find one that would be able to do a custom cake same day. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We are having a gender reveal on Saturday! My immediate family lives really close and it's the first "baby" of the cousins. Not a huge party, just close family and no gifts or anything. Just a fun way to find out. I say go for it! 
  • I agree with @Ashoes123, do what you want. I wish I had the patience to be able to wait myself. I would never be able to. I think it is cute with just a few close people. Even if you want a big party, go for it. So what works for you. Check with bakeries before hand if you plan on having it inside a cake for that day. From someone who used to work at a bakery, the baker who made our cakes was only there until about 8 or 9 am since he got in so early to bak everything. Obviously all bakeries run differently, but just call around before hand to find one that would be able to do a custom cake same day. 
    I was thinking i would just  make the cake in a clear 9x13 pan,  and tape a poster to the bottom of it that you can see from the inside once it's cut,  or make a  2 layer cake and put something under it so if anyone sees me baking or wants to help they dont suspect anything. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't like gender reveals....BUT this is DH's first child and he's been doing so much for DS and I that I wanted to do something special for him. He loves football and got DS into it so I'm ordering football jersey shirts that say daddy/mama/big brother on it. Then I ordered a football with blue and pink powder. I'm having DH's father fill the football according to what the tech writes down on the piece of paper. He's the only one I trust to keep a secret and I don't want to know before DH. DH will kick the ball and explode the powder. It will only be his parents and us and my son and we will got out to dinner after. It's more for DH to feel excited and appreciated. 
  • I don't like gender reveals....BUT this is DH's first child and he's been doing so much for DS and I that I wanted to do something special for him. He loves football and got DS into it so I'm ordering football jersey shirts that say daddy/mama/big brother on it. Then I ordered a football with blue and pink powder. I'm having DH's father fill the football according to what the tech writes down on the piece of paper. He's the only one I trust to keep a secret and I don't want to know before DH. DH will kick the ball and explode the powder. It will only be his parents and us and my son and we will got out to dinner after. It's more for DH to feel excited and appreciated. 
    I'm doing the same thing with a hockey puck! it's really just for DH's family. No else will be there, dinner after. No big parties here. This is both of our third... but we did something small and similar with our other two. I will already know (impatient haha). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with the "do what you want" sentiment. If you are excited to share and you think your parents or grandparents would be excited for that too then by all means go ahead! You do you! baking your own cake sounds like a good idea. Have you seen those confetti cakes where they cut out the centers of a layer cakes and then fill it with candies? That could be fun, but I don't know how hard it is to actually execute.

Personally I want DH and I to keep the sex a secret until birth, even from our parents. I just want us to have a secret between us, but we are for sure on board to find out so we can pick a name sooner. We don't find out until weeks 18-20 though when we get an ultrasound. Different strokes!
  • We did something very small for our first. DH and I found out at the anatomy scan. We had a bakery fill a few cupcakes with blue frosting for our immediate family for dinner that night. I actually liked that DH and I knew first and it gave us an opportunity to watch our family react and get some great photos and videos! This time, probably something similar and small!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 10/5/13 MMC 11/13/13 D&C 11/15/13
    BFP #2 5/14/14 EDD 1/19/15 Beta 1: 728 Beta 2: 1858 We have a heartbeat! 166 @ 7w3d  Please be our RAINBOW!
    Baby G is a BOY!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I went back and forth for weeks debating on having a small party with friends. It was really the friends that encouraged me to have something. We don't have any family close by and our friends are our support system here. They are just as excited about finding out if it is a boy or girl because he/she will grow up with their kids. We are a close group and having them express their excitement was so encouraging! 
  • I attended my cousins gender reveal for her first bub, and actually found it so fun! Makes the moment all more exciting- so I say go for it! I wish I could have been patient enough to do that sort of thing- but way to impatient 
  • We did for my first, 10 people and just had dessert. We opened a box and pink balloons floated out. I think this time I'll cut a cake open or pop a balloon with confetti. I don't really want to do a party, but I worry if I don't for the second it sets the tone that the second isn't as special as the first. But maybe that's just me being hormonal because this pregnancy feels so much less exciting for me because I've been feeling so sick. 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• I'm team Green here so no gender reveal for us! But these ideas sound so cute and so thoughtful! I totally agree with "you do you!" 
  • I say go for it. When we find out we are going to do a cake for the boys. Mine are gunning for a girl and his is hoping for a boy so their reactions should be priceless!
  • I think an intimate get together w/ immediate family/support group is a special way to involve those closest to you.

IF we do one, it'd be similar - just parents and dessert w/ pink or blue icing inside. Was hoping to find out when my brother/SIL were in town to include them since they're throwing my shower, but didn't work out that way. It's the giant parties that are like an additional baby shower probably soliciting gifts that I don't get. Just combine a baby shower and gender reveal if you're gonna do it that way, lol.
  • I did cupcakes for my first, but I also combined it with a house warming party so everyone was coming over already, no seperate celebration.  For #2 and this one I told everyone that mattered as soon as I found out. 
  • My birthday is tomorrow and my office always orders cake for us.  We don't really have any plans but my office is super excited for us so the office manager had the inside of my birthday cake dyed blue.  Everyone will find out this afternoon and I'll post a picture to FB.  Laziest gender reveal ever lol.
    I like it.  Also, how nice that your office gets cake!  I want cake now.  Happy Birthday! @chucksmom15
  • My birthday is tomorrow and my office always orders cake for us.  We don't really have any plans but my office is super excited for us so the office manager had the inside of my birthday cake dyed blue.  Everyone will find out this afternoon and I'll post a picture to FB.  Laziest gender reveal ever lol.
    I like it.  Also, how nice that your office gets cake!  I want cake now.  Happy Birthday! @chucksmom15
    Me too. I also want cake now. Happy @chucksmom15

• With my son we found out before hand (because my husband is the most impatient person alive) and then did a small reveal with the grandparents. We just had "it's a boy" written on a cake. They made their final guess and then we opened the lid. 
  • Ashoes123 said:
    Do what you want! I think many people express an anti-gender reveal sentiment, but I think that's more geared towards big parties where people who may not be as "invested" into the outcome are invited.  A fun reveal for your family sounds really fun and memorable.
    All of this!  I've only been to one reveal and it was so over the top it was a little off putting.  But a little family party or backyard BBQ sounds lovely.
  • chucksmom15chucksmom15 member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks everybody!  I'll send ya'll a piece.

We're flying to NYC tomorrow for my SIL's wedding so I get cake and a trip!
  • That kind of what we did! Our parents, grandparents, and siblings were the only ones there. After dinner we had a pink and blue balloon, and when we held both up DH popped the blue balloon to show it's a girl! Just a fun family dinner, no huge party involved. 
  • We are also doing a fun family dinner.  This will be our 3rd. I think we meet my parents and sister at a restaurant after finding out at the doctor with the other two boys.  Gender reveals weren't a "thing" yet. My family is really excited to know what this baby is and we like family dinners! :) I say do what works for you!
  • Personally, they're just not my thing, but I say do whatever makes you and your SO happy! I've been saying for a few years now that whenever I have a baby I want to wait til it's born to find out the sex. Now that it's actually here, I'm dying to find out! I was beating myself up a little bc I was backing out on what I'd always said, but of all the things to stress over, the sex is the LAST thing anyone should worry about!! 
    That being said, I'm curious if anyone had the experience of finding out the sex but keeping it a secret from everyone else? Kind of the opposite of a gender reveal! Lol!
  • Personally, they're just not my thing, but I say do whatever makes you and your SO happy! I've been saying for a few years now that whenever I have a baby I want to wait til it's born to find out the sex. Now that it's actually here, I'm dying to find out! I was beating myself up a little bc I was backing out on what I'd always said, but of all the things to stress over, the sex is the LAST thing anyone should worry about!! 
    That being said, I'm curious if anyone had the experience of finding out the sex but keeping it a secret from everyone else? Kind of the opposite of a gender reveal! Lol!
    No experience on keeping the gender a secret, but my SIL and her husband know the sex of their baby right now and no one knows except their 6 year old son!! They say it's a lot of fun knowing and not telling anyone at all! That way they can pick names and plan everything but still have the excitement of revealing the sex after the baby is born!
  • kbrinks2 said:
    Personally, they're just not my thing, but I say do whatever makes you and your SO happy! I've been saying for a few years now that whenever I have a baby I want to wait til it's born to find out the sex. Now that it's actually here, I'm dying to find out! I was beating myself up a little bc I was backing out on what I'd always said, but of all the things to stress over, the sex is the LAST thing anyone should worry about!! 
    No experience on keeping the gender a secret, but my SIL and her husband know the sex of their baby right now and no one knows except their 6 year old son!! They say it's a lot of fun knowing and not telling anyone at all! That way they can pick names and plan everything but still have the excitement of revealing the sex after the baby is born!
    I'm glad you shared this! This is what my husband and I decided we want to do, except we don't have a kid yet so it will just be between us. I think it will be fun to have a special secret just for us until the baby comes, and we also will be able to narrow names down better. We are dying to know the sex though so we don't want to wait until the end. I do love this idea. Hopefully we can stay strong and not break if anyone pressures us to tell!
  • I am totally that person that gets so excited for everyone's sex reveals. 
  • We did a little cake reveal, mainly because I just wanted cake. It was fun and intimate, only my mom, DH's dad and brother. It was also when DS found out he was right all along and is going to have a little brother! 
    I'm doing the same thing with a hockey puck! it's really just for DH's family. No else will be there, dinner after. No big parties here. This is both of our third... but we did something small and similar with our other two. I will already know (impatient haha). 
    I am doing the same but with a golf ball!!! my dad runs golf courses and was professional back in the day. Same idea..
    just close friends and family...my grandpa.will be in town so that is exciting! cant wait!!!
  • We did not do a reveal last time. I hadn't planned to do one this time but I had a fun idea. DH and I are going to find out and then cut the letters out of the name we picked and try to have our friends unscramble it. No one ones know our names yet. It's more of an excuse to have friends together. We will just tell our parents. 
  • JaymeMac said:
    I don't like gender reveals....BUT this is DH's first child and he's been doing so much for DS and I that I wanted to do something special for him. He loves football and got DS into it so I'm ordering football jersey shirts that say daddy/mama/big brother on it. Then I ordered a football with blue and pink powder. I'm having DH's father fill the football according to what the tech writes down on the piece of paper. He's the only one I trust to keep a secret and I don't want to know before DH. DH will kick the ball and explode the powder. It will only be his parents and us and my son and we will got out to dinner after. It's more for DH to feel excited and appreciated. 
    I am doing the same but with a golf ball!!! my dad runs golf courses and was professional back in the day. Same idea..
    just close friends and family...my grandpa.will be in town so that is exciting! cant wait!!!
    Extra yay for grandpa!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • snoelle417 said: 
    We did a little cake reveal, mainly because I just wanted cake. It was fun and intimate, only my mom, DH's dad and brother. It was also when DS found out he was right all along and is going to have a little brother! 
    Cake is Life
  • @JaymeMac Word. We just had a little bday celebration for DH's aunt and they were all arguing who should keep the rest of the cake at the end of the night. I'm like uhh, hello... here, obvs.
  • So i wasn't going to do a gender reveal but after consideration, and seeing this is my rainbow baby, i had a change of heart. My next US is 9/15 and im hoping we can find out the sex, so we are planning for a small reveal gathering on 9/30. Just my family and my close friends who have been so supportive during this journey.

I found some color smoke bombs that will be used to reveal the sex ( i think its a girl as she came to me in a dream and told me her name). I just told my dad he is about to be a granddad so im more so excited for this day.

After my appt i will head straight to my GF house (she doesn't know that I will be asking her and her husband to be the God Parents at the reveal. I have a nice way to tell them) and give her the envelope. She will get an email with everything that I want for the gathering, from the menu to the decorations etc. 
  • @babyjjl2018 wait....you are choosing to have a gender reveal....you are choosing how it's going down....and you're telling your friend to throw it for you? 
    My thoughts exactly.  Are you at least paying for it @babyjjl2018?
  • We had a gathering of close friends and family to reveal the gender of our first, and then a smaller get-together of just family for our second. Both times we passed out Krispy Kreme donuts filled with pink icing for DD then blue for DS. They were delicious!!! I'd love to do the same this time, although we will be announcing the pregnancy to our family this weekend (I'm 13.5 weeks now and only found out about it last week), and we may just announce the gender at the same time. Tomorrow is my third tri screening, and I previously found out gender at that ultrasound. Funny how things get more and more "thrown together" with each subsequent baby!

• @babyjjl2018 wait....you are choosing to have a gender reveal....you are choosing how it's going down....and you're telling your friend to throw it for you? 
    I'm waiting to see this response too 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018