TTC After a Loss

Diet & Fertility

silvergreensilvergreen member
edited August 2017 in TTC After a Loss
Hey ladies!

I thought I'd start a topic here to discuss things about diet and fertility.

I recently read this Washington Post article reviewing a study (Diet and Lifestyle in the Prevention of Ovulatory Disorder Infertility) that suggests what you eat can impact your ability to conceive (barring certain medical complications).

Here's a summary of some findings mentioned:

• Nearly 18,000 participants of  study followed a diet of plenty vegetables, fruit, whole grains and beans (plant-based foods), as well as protein-rich foods, healthy fats and a bit of full-fat dairy.
• This specific eating pattern was linked to a 66% lower risk of ovulatory infertility and a 27% lower risk of infertility from other causes.
• "The 'fertility diet' study found that ovulatory infertility was almost 40 percent more likely in women who ate the most animal protein."
• "The researchers looking at the fertility diet found that the more women ate fast-absorbing carbs such as white bread, white rice, potatoes, soda and candy, the higher their risk for ovulatory infertility."
• "They also observed that eating slow-absorbing carbs such as vegetables, whole grains, beans and lentils can provide a fertility boost. As an added bonus, a high-fiber diet reduces the risk of gestational diabetes."
• Hillary Wright, a dietitian and director of nutritional counseling for the Domar Center for Mind/Body Health at Boston IVF, recommends: "making half your plate at each meal non-starchy vegetables, a quarter protein-rich foods and a quarter fiber-rich carbohydrates with some healthy fat."
• "In the 'fertility diet' study, consuming one to two servings of full-fat dairy products a day was linked to increased fertility, while low-fat versions showed the opposite trend. It seems that having some whole milk or higher-fat yogurt could positively affect ovulation and conception, because the cream component of milk influences its balance of sex hormones."
• "You don’t want to get your fat from processed foods, as hydrogenated oils negatively impact fertility. Although the Food and Drug Administration has banned the use of artificial trans fats in processed foods, this doesn’t come into effect until June 2018."

What do you ladies think? Have you been following any specific dietary pattern?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Diet & Fertility

• girl I eat better than I did 7 years ago.  I eat veggies and fruits and try to keep the processed stuff to a minimum regardless.  Below is a link a friend sent me.  Somewhere in that website it mentions a fertility cleanse.

https://natural-fertility-info.com/

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @vlagrl29 LOL, thanks! I'm definitely going to check it out.

I've pretty much started becoming a flexitarian - eating meat rarely at home, usually only when I'm out to dinner, which isn't very frequent. I totally have some pounds I need to drop and I'm hoping this might help me get there! I love chocolate and ice cream, so that's where I stumble. :s

I experienced some lightheadedness/dizziness/vertigo symptoms upon the return of AF that lasted a good few weeks, but they are mostly gone with the exception of today (right at the end of AF). PCP thinks it's all hormones trying to stabilize. Hoping he's right and that diet can help my body figure it out!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • justsuziejustsuzie member
    edited August 2017
    I am a very healthy vegan with great cholesterol and blood sugar, and a healthy weight (minus the 5-8lbs I put on after my last mmc).  We eat mostly organic and supplement with vitamins.  I have no trouble getting PG... I have trouble staying PG! (But one of the losses was a chromosomal abnormality.  I wonder if diet affects that?  My dr said it was just a random abnormality.  But sometimes I think when they don't know the answer to something, they label it "random")   

I have trouble buying into the info on diet and fertility.  There are so many unplanned pregnancies in low income inner city  areas where access to fresh vegetables and healthy fats is very difficult.  But, if it makes people feel like they are taking control of their fertility then more power to them.  It obviously cannot hurt to eat healthy!

I did have an OB tell me before I was ttc that I would have to quit being vegan to have a healthy PG.  She said at the very least I would have to eat eggs.  I am still on the fence if I agree with this.  But, after 3 losses I will drive an extra hour to get some cruelty-free backyard chicken eggs if that's what it takes.  

*edited for grammar..thanks public education for teaching me spelling doesn't matter as long as the ideas are there, so there's probably still grammatical errors. Oh well, I tried. 
  • Agree with justsuzie... If the morbidly obese chicks on "My 600 Lb. Life" can get KU and have a baby, then I think my diet is perfectly adequate. For the 2nd RE to basically tell me for an hour and a half that I'm fat and that's maybe my problem is crap. Basically, once they run all the tests they KNOW of, they have NO other clue as to what does/does not increase/decrease or cause fertility related issues. So they fall on the ONLY thing they know, which is weight/diet. However, I am exercising and losing the weight and agree that it's always good to be as healthy as possible. But, fat/unhealthy people have babies every day.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• @dpjennifer So happy you are sticking with your weight loss goals!  I feel like the impact on your mental health is worth it alone.  Isn't great to see progress.  Keep it up lady!
  • My niece's mother is extremely over weight...probably considered obese, takes narco pain killers, and has type II diabetes and still got KU. Plus my removed from the family stepsister is an opiod/herion addict and has 4 health boys. I eat healthy exercise and still just cannot get pregnant. I've followed every diet/supplement out there for fertility. I'm under the average BMI so I have just been trying to up my weight a bit by adding health fats like avocado. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MooFish2364 that's so annoying when people have babies that shouldn't!
  • @MooFish2364 Ugh... I'm sorry to hear that. It does seem really unfair. I'm hoping they just got lucky and don't really represent the majority.

I've been eating as a "flexitarian" for the past few months, keeping meat consumption to a minimum. Maybe a few times a month. It's easier if I don't bring it into the house and only allow myself to eat it when out. I let myself have a turkey sandwich yesterday, although I know you are supposed to avoid deli meats due to listeria when pregnant. I've heard turkey is one deli meat to be especially avoided.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I ate deli meats a lot during my previous pregnancy @silvergreen and a lot of it was turkey because I had an aversion to ham at that time.
  • @silvergreen I think it depends on your doctor.  Mine said not to consume on regular basis while pregnant 
  • silvergreensilvergreen member
    edited August 2017
    @vlagrl29 @Mack2342 It's kind of crazy how much info is out there LOL. A pregnant friend mentioned to me that she doesn't avoid turkey either, but when I was doing my research prior to loss I remember reading one comment from someone who had a super old but reliable OB/GYN that said to avoid turkey altogether.

Don't even get me started on tea.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @vlagrl29 Forgot to mention that my first nausea food trigger occurred when I was trying to make DH's sandwich - with roast beef.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen- so when I was pregnant with DD I was starving marvin the entire 9 months.  Imagine eating a meal 6 times a day and a 4am snack.  Heck no was I giving up deli meat.