February 2018 Moms
Options

Baby Gear/Registry Q&A + Tell All

13»

Re: Baby Gear/Registry Q&A + Tell All

• Options
    @mblomq2 - It's definitely a top runner for me. Since I'm a FTM, I'm hoping it will be worth the cost when we have more kids later. It's like the Benz of strollers with the various options available! We don't drive much - mainly to visit family or trips outside of the city. 
  • Options
    I will be working on my registry soon - any recommendations on pack n plays? Are they ok for newborns to sleep in? We plan on having the baby sleep in our room for the first few months and then move him to the nursery (which is currently our guestroom), so I'm trying to figure out what options we have for a small space. We are keeping the sofabed in there, so I need a creative solution until we move into a bigger place!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jessilee15jessilee15 member
    edited September 2017
    I got a Graco pack and play; it has a bassinet attachment you can put on top of it that we will be using for all 3 kids. IMO, way better than just a bassinet because we use the pack in play when we travel as they get a bit bigger (mine only were in the bassinet a couple of months before I moved them to the regular crib)
  • Options
    Thanks, @jessilee - what model?
  • Options
    After having my first kid I learned real fast that things are expensive and bulky. Something's your child may only use a couple of times. Now that I'm having my 4th kid it's nice that I don't have to buy anything. First advice for FTM that plan on having more kids buy all expensive big things in neutral colors so you can reuse later. I have 3 girls already and bought things like car seat, sheets, pack n plays in blacks and blues. Not many ladies who bought a hot pink car seat for their first are going to use it again a year later for their boy. 
    Second, I personally bought all my items gentle used from yard sale sites locally to me. Swing are bulky so I bought 2 rock n plays. One my child slept in next to me and the other was easily moved around the house wherever I needed it, plus it folds up really nice for travel. Like other ladies have stated you can use a mini crib or mini pack n play for space issues. I also didn't use a bouncer.
    Third, I absolutely love my Tula and use it more often than a stroller. However they just came out with the free to grow and I'm thinking about trying it so I don't have to use the insert. I bought a double stroller and I've never even used it because they are heavy and bulky. Plus my children would rather walk anyways so I just use an umbrella stroller. 
    Fourth, I recommend the nose frida it's such a life saver. As well as changing mats to place in common rooms. 
    Other items I bought and never used. Baby bath tub, baby powder, changing table, bottle rack, way to much clothes, sleep sacks, pack n play, bouncers, walkers, double stroller, sit me ups. 
  • Options
    Something I didn't mention when I posted at first is don't buy any type of bumbo/sit me up type seat until you know how your child is built. By the time my daughter was old enough to use either her legs were so chunky that she couldn't sit in a bumbo and they would get stuck in the sit me up! Also if you are going to buy a bath I suggest getting one that not only can be used before they sit up but can be used after, I have the summer infant deluxe right height which looks pike they've changed a little but it has the newborn stage, the infant piece, and a step stool so it will get plenty of use.
  • Options
    @mblomq2 and @jennifer_m21 if I could do it over I wouldn't have purchased the bassinet for the Vista.  My son personally hated it (he liked feeling more snug, not kind of rolling around as they can do in the bassinet especially on bumpy sidewalks), and it's useful for such a limited period of time.  The car seat will also be warmer for the winter months.  I would stick to just the car seat attachment for when they're teeny, and they can move to the rumble seat laid as flat as it goes relatively early (I think we moved my son to that around 3 months, with a head support).  You'll have a car seat anyway and the adapter is relatively inexpensive.  The bassinet is also a bulky item to store once you're not using it anymore.  Others may swear by it, just my two cents!
  • Options
    Also second what @jessilee15 said about getting a portable crib that includes or converts to a bassinet, rather than buying a totally separate bassinet.  We didn't have the Graco pack & play but did the Guava Lotus for a portacrib which has a conversion kit to become a bassinet.  Both fold up super small for storage and travel, and you don't have to buy (and store) a totally separate piece of equipment.  Both my siblings have done the Graco pack & play with the bassinet and were happy with those as well.
  • Options
    Thank you, @psm2462 @jessilee15 @gymmonkey95 and @gooberdoofus95 for your suggestions!

• Options

As a STM, I can't decide if I should get the double or just figure out how to make it work with the single stroller...
    How old is #1? I had a board that clicks on the strollrer for the older kid to stand on. 

I've had a very expensive fancy stroller,  a graco the infant seat click on,  a double stroller,  and several umbrella strollers.  I'm also a very active baby wearer.  And used a stroller skateboard attachment with 3 of the mentioned strollers.  The only one i regret getting was the very expensive fancy stroller.  The others were all useful for the purpose i needed at the time.  This time i am leaning towards no stroller until 6 months or so,  and then getting an umbrella stroller.  If you are a big shopper i would get one with a basket underneath, or a heavier one that won't to back when loaded up with bags, an umbrella stroller is not heavy enough for this. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    @mamaof5already  DS with be 2 1/2 basically.  We are on the go a lot.  I just really don't want a big, bulky stroller.  
  • Options
    @magnolia305 at 2.5 I would consider getting a sit and stand out use whatever stroller you have with a glider board attachment of you can find one. Unless you were planning on having more children shortly after this than I would think you wouldn't get much use out of double for very long.

I will as currently have a city select with the second seat attachment and the glider board. It's a great stroller but wouldn't be a good fit for you because it is hard to get through slushy/ snowy areas and if your side walks are anything like they are here they are far from perfect

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    @magnolia305 I agree with sabriel1. If you aren't planning more kids it prob wouldn't be worth it. It just all depends on what you'll be doing. If you plan on baby wearing (I'm sorry if you mentioned that earlier and I missed it or forgot) then it won't be a big deal, but it can be a pain lugging a car seat and trying to keep a hand on a 2.5 yo. You can always try it out without one and buy one if you decide it's necessary. :smile:
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for your input.  DS didn't like carriers much--but DS2 may not have a choice! I think I will either try to find a second hand stroller or make due with the one we have.  
  • Options
    Does anyone know of a product similar to the dock a tot that isn't so insanely expensive? I like the concept and started looking and was shocked how $$$ they are! Even the used ones are pricey!
  • Options
    sabriel1 said:
    @magnolia305 at 2.5 I would consider getting a sit and stand out use whatever stroller you have with a glider board attachment of you can find one. Unless you were planning on having more children shortly after this than I would think you wouldn't get much use out of double for very long.
    @magnolia305 I did the sit n stand for DS when DD was born and ended up returning it! It takes a VERY mature 2 year old to stay on a sit n stand. And when they're tired there's nothing to retain them/let them rest. Just something to think about 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Been a while and I searched back like 8 pages for a deals and steals thing, but....

Motherhood Maternity is having a flash sale today on a few things, including a bunch of nursing bras. 
    https://www.motherhood.com/flash-sale/?utm_source=FacebookRT&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=IntimatesFlashSale
  • Options
    So for you STMs out there -- how do you choose a crib mattress? Crib is coming from Amazon (though they have it at BBB, but wanted the diaper bonus haha). But there are so many mattress choices! 
  • Options
    Diaper pails- did anyone have one they loved? We had the diaper genie elite for DS and it broke... got another and it broke, then never used one for DD. DS2 is going to be staying on our room for a while so I’d like something to contain the smell better. Anyone have one they loved that was easy to use and did not need specific bags? Thank you! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @clc515 I tested the mattresses that were in Babies r Us as that was the only baby store we had. I wanted one that was pretty firm but I didn't want a memory foam one. My reasoning was 1) I didn't want to always be buying a memory foam and 2) memory foam was uncomfortable for me and if there is any chance I may be sleeping in the bed with my kiddo I wanted to be comfy also. I also chose one that is for the crib on one side and a toddler bed on the other. Hopefully that helps you because I had no clue what I was doing! :D
  • Options
    clc515 said:
    So for you STMs out there -- how do you choose a crib mattress? Crib is coming from Amazon (though they have it at BBB, but wanted the diaper bonus haha). But there are so many mattress choices! 
    The American pediatrics board reccomends a firm mattress. I picked one with a high coil count but also didn’t feel like a rock. I stayed away from non traditional mattresses. Also waterproof. The mattress liners are such a pain to use. 
  • Options
    @Starynightsky24 I'm a FTM but got the Baby Trend Diaper Champ based on a rec from Lucie's List, and it uses regular trash bags. Can't attest to smell containment yet, though. Ha, we should test it with a bag of our dogs' poop.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    @clc515, we went to the store and pressed on them them to see what we liked. We wanted one that was infant on one side and toddler on the other. We also wanted one that was very light. That way changing the sheets when it is deep in the crib was not a pain. 

@Starynightsky24, we used the Dekor plus diaper pail with our son. We liked it because you can use their inserts and take it out whenever it needed to changed without feeling like you were wasting it. You just cut the lining and tied it up. It also fit regular tall kitchen trash bags so you did not have to buy the liners if you did not want to. My husband is real big in not buying unitaskers and saw most diaper pails as unitaskers, but this one he said he could use as a trash can afterward since it used trash bags too. He has been using it as a trash can since my son has been out of diapers. It has been in constant use (either as a diaper pail or a trash can) for about 5 1/2 years now and it still in perfect shape. We will be using it again this time. My husband will just have to get a trash can. 
  • Options
    Diaper pails- did anyone have one they loved? We had the diaper genie elite for DS and it broke... got another and it broke, then never used one for DD. DS2 is going to be staying on our room for a while so I’d like something to contain the smell better. Anyone have one they loved that was easy to use and did not need specific bags? Thank you! 
    My best friend said she loves their Ubbi pail, and it uses regular kitchen bags. :)
  • Options
    Thanks @lainikins, @gymmonkey95 and @SunflowerMama428! Probably safest to hit the store and see which one feels right. 

• Options
    @Starynightsky24 +1 for the Ubbi.  Uses regular kitchen bags, large capacity, and a lock (which is increasingly important with our toddler).  
  • Options
    Yay I got an Ubbi as a shower gift! Can't attest to it, but loved that it uses regular trash bags and is apparently good at containing smells. Good to know about the lock!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I’ll look into those 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @starynightsky24, we also like the Dekor plus for the same reasons listed above! I feel like it holds a lot. We have one for each of the other kids, and I’ll probably get a new one for this baby, too.

@clc515 like others wrote above, we tested them out in BBB and got one that is foam (not memory foam), as opposed to coil, and also has a separate toddler and infant side. Yes mattress should be waterproof, but you’ll still need a waterproof cover unless you’re ok with stains. 

• Options
    I know I’m not the only one who has been thinking of this.... going home outfits. What are you planning to use? Anyone bought it already? I’m searching endlessly because we put it in their shadow box with the hospital stuff. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Starynightsky24 I have a tuxedo onesie, but I think it'll be too big for that early, which is a shame. He could be so fancy... I'll probably just pick my favorite of whatever we've been gifted. As for myself, I'll be in my giant Zubaz pants and a sweatshirt :)
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    I know I’m not the only one who has been thinking of this.... going home outfits. What are you planning to use? Anyone bought it already? I’m searching endlessly because we put it in their shadow box with the hospital stuff. 

In box:
    Dh bought baby girl  a Nirvana onesie, , tutu, and we just need leggings. That'll be here going home outfit. 
  • Options
    I’m debating whether or not to buy some type of movement monitor— specifically the Owlet or the Snuza Pico. They’re both pretty expensive, and i don’t know anybody who has one, so I have to wonder if they are worth the peace of mind.
  • Options
    @Starynightsky24 I have been hunting everywhere too, I guess part of it is I can't decide what style I like, simple and comfortable or a little bit more dressy. Kind of waiting to see what we have after the shower, although we just got some personalized onesies with her name on the that could be cute too for photos.