February 2018 Moms
Options

MOOK: Back to School

(Moms of older kids)

Do you have a kid or kids starting school soon? My big kids start school in nine days. *faint* Orientation for my 7th grader is this Friday. Summer break went by so fast, and they seem to go back earlier each year. I still remember going back to school the day after Labor Day. Three full months off of school. 

I will say, I am looking forward to summer being over. I hate it. It's 105 today. :'(
G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

Re: MOOK: Back to School

• Options
    no, my oldest won't start kindergarten until next September but I agree with you. I know a few schools who already started this week! My neighborhood schools start 14th or so. I remember starting after Labor Day as well and not getting out until mid June. I feel for you on the weather too. we're in TX and it's hot as balls

anyway, I hope your kids enjoy the school year! I sometimes wonder how different life will be when my girls are that age and off to school

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    My kids go back Sept 5. It's been mandated in our state that schools may not have students return until after Labor Day and must have in 180 days by June 15th unless the district gets waivers approved by the state board of ed. This is new for us this year so summer feels extra long!  

I am also so over the weather. It's actually making SO and I discuss moving north. We both work in industries where we are needed everywhere so it's easy to think about moving bc we don't like the weather!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son starts Kindergarten in September. It is hard to believe. I am incredibly nervous about him taking the bus to and from school with all the bigger kids. I know he will love it (the school and the bus) but I am a bit of a nervous reck. 
  • Options
    My kids will start in September. I'm not sure of the exact day. I've sort of avoided thinking about it. It will probably hit me when I get the supply lists. 
  • Options
     My kids go back after labor day.  I will have 2 high schoolers this year,  2 Middle schoolers, and a 2nd grader.  We don't end school here until last week in June,  so it still feels like summer just started. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    My daughter will be a Sophmore this year! School starts Aug 21. I'm not ready....

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• Options
    My three middle school girls **GASP! ** have orientation tomorrow and start school on Monday.  My oldest is in 8th grade and my twins start 6th.  Let the drama begin.  Ah, who am I kidding?  The drama began 11 years ago.
  • Options
    My husband is an instructor. His contract started today. Our 2.5 yo is being "homeschooled" (she's too young for preschool anyway). She will go one day a week to the homeschool co-op class. 
  • Options
    DS finishes his summer program tomorrow and then it's one month of vacation until preschool in the fall. Now I have to entertain a toddler for 4 weeks. I love the kid but school is a nice break. Especially since he's been so clingy since he found out about the baby. Already getting jelly. Fun. 
  • Options
    My son started pre kindergarten today! It's harder on me than him for sure. It's still crazy hot where I live... I wish they waited till after Labor Day but the schools were out mid may here. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    sabriel1sabriel1 member
    edited August 2017
    Mine will be starting grade 1 in September after going to a private school last year so this will be her first year in public so I am super nervous for her. Most other kids have been there for a year already so I am worried about her finding her way around and making friends. I'm sure she will be fine but this is new to me and she has been so sheltered it is very hard to let go.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    @sabriel1 I hope the transition goes smoothly. 
  • Options
    @sabriel1 aw I know how hard that is as a parent. All you imagine is there little self  wondering around alone and scared but in reality they run in and find a new friend in like 2 seconds and now they have a best friend they don't stop talking about. DS is literally the most social outgoing kid and I'm over here with social anxieties and can't even speak up at times. I'm so thankful he isn't like me in that sense. 
  • Options
    @SunflowerMama428 that is EXACTLY the picture in my head. But yeah, she is not even a bit shy so I'm sure she'll be fine. I am imagining her wandering around alone though.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    @sabriel1 do they let you walk them to their classroom? Would that be embarrassing to a 1st grader? I'm not in touch with that age group. My niece was quiet the sass and I'm sure not the norm. 
  • Options
    I'm not really sure. I just made the decision to switch her to this school a week ago so she isn't even registered yet. I imagine I will get more information them and it will make me feel more at ease.

Though I think if she had to walk in by herself she wouldn't be embarrassed. She doesn't really get embarrassed yet at this age. I just worry that coming in from recess she won't be able to find her class again or something. I'm sure they have things in place for that or I'm sure she wouldn't be the only one lost, the unknown is just really freaking me out

• Options
    My oldest starts kindergarten on Aug 24th.  I'm worried bc what mom wouldn't be but I know he'll do great. He went to preschool at the elementary school so he knows the drill and he rode the bus so he's already a pro at that. Tax free weekend starts Friday so we are going to pick out his backpack and lunchbox and get all his supplies on Friday morning.  It's going to be like Black Friday at Target but he's excited so we'll be there. 
  • Options
    @karcerplus3 DS refuses to ride the bus. He will sing about it. He loves the idea of them but then screams bloody murder when you try to put him in. So now I get $4 a day from my state for driving him myself. Ugh lol 
  • Options
    @SunflowerMama428. $4 a day for driving??  That's insane.  You'd thing the state would pay you for making space on the bus for another kid. 
  • Options
    @SunflowerMama428. $4 a day for driving??  That's insane.  You'd thing the state would pay you for making space on the bus for another kid. 
    I meant I get $4 a day from the state. He has to go to a certain school because of his IEP and it's all the way across town so the state is required to provide transportation but since DS won't take the bus and I drive him so they "reimburse" me for doing it myself. I would much rather they hired a bus monitor to ride the bus with him instead of handing me 20 bucks and think that's Compenstating for the mandate. 
  • Options
    Lol!  Totally read that wrong!  When #1 rose the bus he was 3 and they had a regular aide that would ride with the driver and an addtional helper or two if the need arose. I'm surprised they aren't offering someone. 
  • Options
    I know in our district bus aides are a must for buses of students with special needs. It's absurd that you have to drive them. They won't foot the bill for a cab? Our system also does that for certain SWD kids. 
  • Options
    @smorzandoj I can drive him but it means I can't work day shifts. So I miss DH pretty much all week. The plan was to have his Papa get him on and off the bus and watch him for an hour until DH came and picked him up. so I can work days but not getting on the bus ruined this. They won't hire a bus monitor because DS diagnosis is mild to non existent. He sometimes shows signs of mild autism and then he doesn't at the same time. He's also made so much progress in a year that his pedi isn't very convinced that he has it but is worried about not calling it and him not getting the extra help. 

They think it's more of just a speech delay. His IEP is complicated. I kind of wished he had a set diagnosis because it's been causing so many problems. He clearly needs the extra attention at school for his development but he is so independent and a quick learner that it throws everyone off so they keep trying to tell me he doesn't qualify for certain things. I just think if we are having this conversation of a diagnosis then clearly he needs services regardless of how well he's doing. Sorry that turned into a vent. 
  • Options
    @SunflowerMama428 I get it. There should already be an aide on the bus if it's a special needs bus. They can't drive autistic children around safely, mild or severe, without one. Fight momma. Which I'm sure you are. Good luck. 
  • Options
    We homeschool and I decided to go ahead and start yesterday to be ahead and get a slow start. We are ready though bc with the heat it's not like we were doing much fun stuff as far as summer goes.