February 2018 Moms
Options

Bean Sprouts

i just had Chinese noodle soup for lunch and realized, as I was almost finished, that there were bean sprouts in the soup!!! I'm trying not to freak out... any idea how bad of a mistake I made??

Re: Bean Sprouts

• Options
    My understanding is these spots are ok if cooked. I'm assuming they were cooked in the soup if you didn't notice until part way through. I wouldn't worry too much either way.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I think they were put in the soup raw and probably heated some by the broth, but definitely still crunchy. I thought the crunch was from other veggies until I got towards the bottom :(
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kalawakalawa member
    edited August 2017
    *lurking from March* when I worked at a Chinese food restaurant years ago, they always cooked the bean sprouts before putting them in the soup. They would have them in a bowl of boiling water for 5-7 minutes. I wouldn't worry too much.

ETA The sprouts would stay crunchy being cooked this way.
  • Options
    I Googled, which didn't make things better, so I went all the way back to the restaurant. They said the bean sprouts were cooked. Not feeling totally confident, but much better. Thanks, @sabriel1
  • Options
    Thank you @kalawa ! That makes me feel MUCH better!!!
  • Options
    Meh. I ate sprouts on a sandwich last week. 
  • Options
    Ok am I missing something? Was there a PSA about bean sprouts? 
  • Options
    @SunflowerMama428 I quickly googled, it says bacteria like E. coli and listeria can get in the cracks in the seed and you can't wash it out, so you have to cook them to kill it all. I'm lax about listeria because that seems to strike anywhere at any time, but E. coli is a little more ehhhhhh
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    Ohhh. Well damn. I could really go for Chinese though. 
  • Options
    Wait. You aren't supposed to eat bean sprouts? I actually laughed/snorted when I read this thinking it was a lame attempt at a troll post. Whoops, sorry OP

I ate lunch meat, Brie, sushi, over easy eggs, hot dogs and probably a million other taboo pregnancy foods all through my first pregnancy, didn't even get the trots once. I'm sure if there is a legit concern to bean sprouts in pregnancy, you're fine unless you develop symptoms of food poisoning. 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    Exactly, there's been listeria in ice cream, peanut butter, cantaloupe, bagged spinach, and I even forget what the most recent thing was, so it's a crap shoot.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    Guys. Can I confess something here? I freaking love Jimmy John's. The closest is 1h15m away. When I took DD1 to the dr's last week...I definitely ate a Club Lulu. 
  • Options
    Guys. Can I confess something here? I freaking love Jimmy John's. The closest is 1h15m away. When I took DD1 to the dr's last week...I definitely ate a Club Lulu. 
    I seriously don't get the hysteria about deli meat, and I don't know what jimmy johns is but if it's a sub I can get behind that 
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI

• Options
    eggplantfaceeggplantface member
    edited August 2017
    @TattoosandLace I don't sweat deli meat. There was listeria in turkey meat back in 1991 or so, and since then it's "Don't eat deli meat at all!" I've said it before and I'll say it again, listeria can strike anywhere at any time in any food. We can't live in bubbles.

ETA I love jimmy john's too but haven't had an appetite for it for a few weeks.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    I was all paranoid about sub sandwiches and eating them even if they were heated, then I realized someone said if you eat produce you have just as high a chance. It's like what can we eat "safely"? Ugh. Weird thing is my doctor never mentions anything to me about what to eat. 
  • Options
    @mpp06 my OB has never said anything to me either with either of my pregnancies. I don't know if it's because I'm a nurse and routinely show up for appointment in my OR scrubs and she figures I don't need to be told that stuff or if it's because she thinks it's a non issue 

• Options
    Aeml1985 said:
    I seriously don't get the hysteria about deli meat, and I don't know what jimmy johns is but if it's a sub I can get behind that 
    Delicious subs. Club Lulu has turkey, Mayo, lettuce, tomato, and bacon. 

• Options
    @eggplantface what's your favorite sandwich there?
  • Options
    @TattoosandLace Stop it.  Stop it right now.  That is my favorite sub and that is not what I am having for dinner tonight...even though it looks. so. good. 
  • Options

@TattoosandLace Stop it.  Stop it right now.  That is my favorite sub and that is not what I am having for dinner tonight...even though it looks. so. good. 
    It's not what I'm having for dinner either.  :(
    DH promised me JJ's in the hospital post delivery with number one. We ordered again after number two. Now it's tradition. Give birth, skin to skin, order Jimmy John's delivery. 
  • Options
    @ash0625 "lake douches" has me literally LOLing. That is the best thing I've heard in days!!!
  • Options
    @eggplantface what's your favorite sandwich there?
    Italian Nite Club! 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    I eat the hell out some deli meat. And hot dogs. And cheese. Maybe it's the STM in me, but I think that stuff is way overblown. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DH: 32
    Me: 31
    Baby #1: BFP 1/30/14, EDD 9/28/14, natural MC @ 6 weeks
    Baby #2: BFP 8/1/2014, EDD 4/9/2015, It's a GIRL: Addison Elizabeth!

• Options
    @TattoosandLace That's a good plan bc they deliver quickly, too!!! 
  • Options
    mrsgunsta said:
    I eat the hell out some deli meat. And hot dogs. And cheese. Maybe it's the STM in me, but I think that stuff is way overblown. 
    Same. I already feel like we give up a lot when pregnant. I miss wine, a lot. :( 
  • Options
    I NEED a sub now 
    all we have is subway and that leaves such a wierd after taste 

• Options
    Exactly! Freaky fast! ;)
  • Options
    Exactly! Freaky fast! ;)
    Maybe when we're in Disney in oct I can get one delievered to my hotel while DD naps 

• Options
    I was pretty lax about the whole deli meat thing also with DS. I have a new ob who actually said fresh deli meats from the counter are totoally fine, he said to avoid to pre packaged ones (oscar meyer etc). Enjoy those subs ladies! i can't wait til I actually have an appetite and can eat again.
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    Well you guys were successful in making me crave a sub. Like NEED an Italian sub. 
  • Options
    alice0218alice0218 member
    edited August 2017
    mrsgunsta said:
    Yes! FTM here but a lot of the things I'm reading sound questionable. Not only here, but everywhere. Cheeses in the US are pretty much all pasteurized anyway. Since you can technically get sick from anything, I don't see why avoiding foods that aren't proven to have any negative effect on a pregnancy is worth it. Definitely just eating the way I did before. The only change is trying to make more healthy stuff at home and get more servings of fruit and veggies per day. Probably having sushi too. I just don't think it's actually dangerous to eat and have never been sick or had food poisoning from anything I've eaten that I can remember. I think avoiding all the things is a "to each his own" thing. I'm not drinking alcohol though. That seems pretty obvious and its really not that bad of a sacrifice.