Baby Names

How popular is Emily near you?

Right now, Hubby's favorite name is Emily, which is fairly popular.  How many babies in the past 6months-1 year do you know named Emily? I live on the East Coast of US if that helps.

Re: How popular is Emily near you?

• I don't know any babies named Emily, but I do know several adults named Emily. I was actually surprised to see it's ranked the 9th most popular girl name for 2016.

If you go to the social security website, I believe there is a way to search popularity by state. 
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I'm on the east coast and can't think of any Emily babies in my circle or even Facebook friends.  I know plenty of Emily teenagers and adults but according to the rankings it is still a popular baby name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know many emily babies, but I know A TON of Emma's who are all less than 2
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Maryland gal here.

My kids are currently about to turn 13 and 17.  DD, who is 17, has always had more than one classmate named Emily.  She has TWO close friends named Emily.  By the time DS came along, people were switching to Emma.  He has always had at least one Emma in his class at school.  On the Social Security Admin website for 2016, Emma was #1 and Emily was #9, so it's still pretty popular!

My perception of my kids' generation is pretty accurate!  When I checked DD's birth year, Emily was #1 and Emma wasn't in the top 20.  In DS's year, they were #1 and 2!!

However, I don't know anyone who has named a daughter Emily in the past two years, so maybe it will start to be a little less popular.  But I'd say if you're looking for a less common name, Emily is not what you want.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • The only Emilys I know are my age, born in the late 80s/early 90s. DS is nearly 3, and I haven't met any Emilys his age or younger. We live in California.
  • I'm in MA and there are NO Emilys in my daughter's age group. There were zillions of them who are now about 10-15 years old in Chicago when we lived there but Emily is not a thing currently where we are now.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel like I know maybe a handful that are young but it seems more popular to me because of all the other Em type names that are also popular. Emilia, Emma, Emmaline....

• Wisconsin here. Only one Emily child that I know, she is about 4 or 5. Granted, I'm in a pretty small town so I see the same group of kids over and over during playgroup, and my kid social circle is pretty small
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Southern Cali here... I know 2 Emily's under the age of 2. I also know 3 Emma/Emilia's and all of those kids go by Emmy. I think the name (and other variations) are cute but overdone in my area. 
  • New York here - I know a 5 year old Emily, but no babies or toddlers
  • harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited August 2017
    I only know 1 Emily and she is going into 2nd grade. Live in MI.
  • My SIL used Emily for her 2 year old. Otherwise I know none. SIL is in NJ, I am in TX
  • Oh wait, I knew another one in Virginia. She's 7 or 8 by now.
  • All the Emily's I know are approximately my age, but like PP's have mentioned similar names are really popular now: Emma, Emmaline, Emery, Emerson (shortened to Emmy). Now combine that with all the Ellie's and Evelyn's I've seen born in the past few years and it's just a lot of E names. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I've never met a child named Emily, but then I live quite far from you (Hawaii). I've met many babies named Emma or Emi though.

• In the Midwest and I don't know any little Emily's my sister is named Emily and she is in her 20s. 
  • I've only met one child named Emily, but it was spelled Emmalee. Not sure I like that "creative" spelling. I don't think Emily is too common with this generation. Emma is the new Emily lol
  • My sister is Emily, but I don't know any babies or toddlers with the name. 
  • I'm in New England and don't know any kids or toddlers named Emily. I do know two though but they are both in their 30's. 
  • Texas here - LOTS. I personally know several my own age, 25, but after going through my daughters class lists for her elementary school there are multiple Emily's/Emma's in each grade and the school isn't really that big. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Texas here - LOTS. I personally know several my own age, 25, but after going through my daughters class lists for her elementary school there are multiple Emily's/Emma's in each grade and the school isn't really that big. 
    Also in Texas, I don't know ANY kid Emily's. I do know a few my age (26). Lots of Emma's though!