February 2018 Moms

Product Reviews/"The best of"

Hey Ladies... I was just thinking this morning that it might be nice to have a sticky thread/running post of current products/tried and true items/ best rated baby items. So much has changed just in the 4 years since my last pregnancy. So many new seats, products, etc and I remember my last BMB we had a running thread like this that was so helpful. What do you all think? Too early for this type of post? 

Re: Product Reviews/"The best of"

• @neener*neener* I like this idea! I've been using Lucie's List to create a registry and figure out what I need and what I may not need. I'd love to hear from BTDT moms about what they liked/didn't like, or things everyone said they'd need that ended up collecting dust.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Loading the player...
  • You will hear a lot of recommendations for the rock and play. We have an auto rock and play and it's the best thing we've had. We used it every day. Click connect car seats are awesome. Halo sleep sacks are great, and in the winter we used the Carter's fleece sleep sacks. If you want baby to sleep in your room for a while, the pack and play with the bassinet top is perfect. To me it made sense to spend the money on something that I could use for a few years rather than just a bassinet that is grown out of in a few months.
  • I also planning to get a bouncer that's easier to move from room to room, and a floor seat since this LO will be little in the summer. I figured it would be helpful to put baby in when DS and DD are out playing 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also planning to get a bouncer that's easier to move from room to room, and a floor seat since this LO will be little in the summer. I figured it would be helpful to put baby in when DS and DD are out playing 
    I love the go pod for this. Great to take outside or on the go, camping or the park or w/e. DS1 was a January baby and he was the perfect size for it in the summer

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• clc515clc515 member
    Thank you for posting this! I don't have a lot of friends/family who have newborns, so not sure what the most "necessary" gear is, so will follow this tread for ideas!
  • I got a hand me down Mamaroo for my second and it was amazing. My first hated the swing, bouncer and rock and play.  He was only happy in my Tula baby carrier and ring sling. My second also loved the ring sling. 
  • A few things we could not live without: Aden and Anais blankets, a bassinet of some sort for our room, sleep gowns (make it so easy for late night diaper changes), Nosefrida, bouncer, and the sleep sacks.  That's all I can think of for now...

We loved the rock n play--BUT our son ended up developing torticollis and our physical therapist said it *could have* been due to the rock n play.  She said that they have seen a HUGE increase is torticollis since the rock n plays have been out.  In saying that, I also know lots of babies who have used the rock n play all the time and are just fine. I just wanted to share my experience with  the rock n play :)
  • We are very minimal when it comes to baby stuff, but stuff that we found really useful were Swaddle Mes in the first few weeks, water proof sheet protectors to put between layers of crib sheets, and good sized blankets to spread on the floor for tummy time. My son loved quilted blankets that had squares of different textures and patterns. For tummy time, we also had kid safe mirror that my son loved and the link toys. We were given a few different bouncy seats and swings the first time. My son hated them. We are not going to get one this time unless it seems like something the new baby will like after he or she gets here. We did not do a bassinet or rock and play. Our son went right for the crib, which started in our room. 
  • I second the auto rock n play, I didn't have one for my first and have loved it with my second. Also the kick n play piano toy. Other than a good ring sling or baby carrier. My first loved her swaddle me's, my second hated them...Oh and if you're planning to breastfeed buy a boppy or other nursing pillow.
  • sabriel1sabriel1 member
    edited July 2017
    I've heard a few pedis recommending against the Rock and play because of the flat head risk. 

I did notice someone mentioned the nose Frida. That thing is an absolute must!

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• The rock and play was the single greatest baby item we had with DS. The fisher price sit me up chair was also great. It collapses flat so it was easy to take with us when we visited family or whatever. 
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Definitely a and a swaddles. My kids are obsessed with them as "blankies" now and always have a part in their mouths. I have lots so they can have a clean one every day. I've rotated them out daily since the beginning and so far it has avoided the problem of them getting attached to just one.

• Burp rags, onesies, sleepers, Moby or similar wrap, structured carrier, Lansinoh, Boppy, papasan cradle swing or rocker, and swaddling blankets.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• meatballs37meatballs37 member
    edited August 2017
    I find it dumb that pediatricians don't recommend the rock n play simply because of flat head syndrome. Especially when it is now drilled into our brains that "back is best." Whether your baby is sleeping in a dock a tot, rock n play, swing, car seat, crib, etc... they are on their back those first few months.

DD was sleeping on her back in her crib by 8 weeks and developed the dreaded flat head. She was evaluated at five months and just fell under the requirements for not needing a helmet. you would never know as it has rounded out on its own. She started sleeping on her stomach herself around 6 months old. 

Our favorite items:
    We had an extremely colicky baby our first go around. And that's even a huge understatement. 

1. The Ollie swaddle. It's pricey, but it's the only one that stayed put. It was a miracle worker. 
    2. A stroller that the car seat clicks into. No one wants to wake a baby by taking them out of their car seat when running errands. 
    3. The magic merlin sleep suit. They look crazy, but let me tell you, when you transition from a swaddle, this thing will be a life saver. DD slept 8 hours the first night in it at 3 months. We swore by this thing. 
    4. A changing pad which we put on top of her dresser. I hate that people say a changing area is not necessary. We use it multiple times a day still. And especially now that she is mobile, she knows when she is up there we are changing her diaper. If I changed her on the floor, it would be a wrestling battle.
    5. Skip hop explore and more activity gym
    6. Fischer price sit me up seat. 
    7. Glass nail file. I did not bother trying to cut newborn finger nails. They are so paper thin, filing them was soo much easier. I used to keep it next to where I would nurse/feed DD. And when she fell asleep, I would file them. 
  • @lainikins, my first hated the swing too, but my second would've hardly ever napped the first 4 months of life without the swing. I will definitely be cleaning it up for this kiddo :).

I couldn't live without: video monitor, a+a (or any other company's- little unicorn's are ah-dore-able) muslin swaddle blankets, prefold diaper burp cloths, mother love nipple cream, white noise machine, ergo/wrap/ring sling, zip up footed sleepers, and Sandra Boynton board books.
  • @farmrose, we are not opposed to getting one. We will definitely go out and get one if it seems like it would be useful for this kid. We have no baby stuff anymore. We gave it all away, we were not planning on having anymore, so we are completely starting over. We are trying to avoid buying unnecessary things, but if the need comes, we are not opposed to going out and picking something up. I wish we still had the old ones, just in case this baby needs them. 
  • I find it dumb that pediatricians don't recommend the rock n play simply because of flat head syndrome. Especially when it is now drilled into our brains that "back is best." Whether your baby is sleeping in a dock a tot, rock n play, swing, car seat, crib, etc... they are on their back those first few months.

DD was sleeping on her back in her crib by 8 weeks and developed the dreaded flat head. She was evaluated at five months and just fell under the requirements for not needing a helmet. At almost a year old now, you would never know as it has rounded out on its own. She started sleeping on her stomach herself around 6 months old. 

Our favorite items:
    We had an extremely colicky baby our first go around. And that's even a huge understatement. 

1. The Ollie swaddle. It's pricey, but it's the only one that stayed put. It was a miracle worker. 
    2. A stroller that the car seat clicks into. No one wants to wake a baby by taking them out of their car seat when running errands. 
    3. The magic merlin sleep suit. They look crazy, but let me tell you, when you transition from a swaddle, this thing will be a life saver. DD slept 8 hours the first night in it at 3 months. We swore by this thing. 
    4. A changing pad which we put on top of her dresser. I hate that people say a changing area is not necessary. We use it multiple times a day still. And especially now that she is mobile, she knows when she is up there we are changing her diaper. If I changed her on the floor, it would be a wrestling battle.
    5. Skip hop explore and more activity gym
    6. Fischer price sit me up seat. 
    7. Glass nail file. I did not bother trying to cut newborn finger nails. They are so paper thin, filing them was soo much easier. I used to keep it next to where I would nurse/feed DD. And when she fell asleep, I would file them. 
    As with most items,  I would  wait to see what kind of baby you have first! This thing was MAGIC with DS.  He would fall asleep on his own with zero crying, sleep for longer periods of time.. etc. DD hated it. Cried till I took it off her lol. 

I totally agree about the changing area!  And I have also noticed that most kids who fight diaper changes do not have a changing area. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Starynightsky24 agree with the waiting to see what kind of baby you have, but then again, you don't know until you try something. I kept a running amazon list with our first and only bought things as we entered each phase. I.e.: swaddle, solid food, sippy cup transitions. Saved us some money without buying everything people recommended. 

I also wanted to add that DD did NOT like the mamaroo for the longest time and I put it in the basement. But when she was about five months, I brought it back up and it was so nice to have in the kitchen when I was cooking. So If baby doesn't like something at first, hang onto it, maybe they will like it later or the next one will. Options are nice. 
  • Woombie. Hands down will not have a newborn without these. 
  • The one thing that both my husband and I agree that was the best purchase for babies was our BOB stroller. I was a jogger before my first and took him out when he was big enough.  My DH just loved taking it everywhere we went. Park, mall, hiking, whereever. It's super easy to maneuver. You can get infant seat attachments for it as well. We sold out old single and double thinking we were done and the only purchase we have made so far is a new BOB. It'll be the only splurge we make but it's so worth it. 
  • Kimono style onesies for newborns. I hated trying to get my large headed newborn in and out of onesies. I always felt like I was going to break her.  

Im hoping for some video monitor suggestions on this thread! I have a basic one now (summer infant) and want to upgrade for something that'll pan and zoom so I can keep an eye on the mobile child during feedings with a newborn. 
  • Kimono style onesies for newborns. I hated trying to get my large headed newborn in and out of onesies. I always felt like I was going to break her.  

Im hoping for some video monitor suggestions on this thread! I have a basic one now (summer infant) and want to upgrade for something that'll pan and zoom so I can keep an eye on the mobile child during feedings with a newborn. 
    Yes! I love the kimono tops.
  • Kimono style onesies for newborns. I hated trying to get my large headed newborn in and out of onesies. I always felt like I was going to break her.  

I have the Motorola one with two cameras. Love it!
  • I echo all the previous posts on the Aidan and ainais swaddle blankets.. I swore I didn't need them but a week in my mil got me a few as a gift and what a huge difference!! Made swaddling easy and they are lightweight and breathable.  My daughter still uses hers to play with her dolls.
    also: sleep sacks, nose frida, netflix app( for momma being up all night feeding lol), baby boppy, our bassinet. I know the basineet isn't for everyone but we started with just the pack and play and she wouldn't sleep, the first night in the basinet she finally started sleeping, and I was able to put it closer to my bed.
  • I forgot about the Nose Frida. Definite must-have for us.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• I forgot about the Nose Frida. Definite must-have for us.
    Agreed. And the weird satisfaction it gives you when you suck out a large booger or snot. It sounds gross, but after kids, the level of grossness is a higher standard. 
  • Okaaaaaaaaay. So ladies please "sell" this nose frida to me. It looks... well... like you'll get a booger in your mouth. Worth it if your LO has a huge, airway blocking boogie, of course. I'm sure that it's not possible (right?). But is it really better than just a nasal bulb? This product is new to this TTM. 
  • I love this thread. I'll add, for those who are breast feed, the "Breastfriend" nursing pillow is amazing: https://www.amazon.com/My-Brest-Friend-Deluxe-Nursing/dp/B000HZI1R2
    much better than the Boppy as it stays in place and creates more of a tabletop for our baby. You can get up and walk to another room while breastfeeding with it, and also the backpillow means you don't have to adjust your pillows to get up and breastfeed.

There are pillows that are safe that prevent flat heads in rock and plays and swings if that's a concern.  We used this one:  Boppy Noggin Nest Head Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O9F6M8

I live in a colder climate so fleece onsies with a ZIPPER, no snaps. Saves about 30 seconds every time you change them which is roughly 100000 times a day.
  • Ashoes123 said:
    I live in a colder climate so fleece onsies with a ZIPPER, no snaps. Saves about 30 seconds every time you change them which is roughly 100000 times a day.
    Yes.  I HATE the snaps.  Even better are the gowns when they are tiny.  
  • My top 3 things are a hook on high chair,  baby gets to sit at the table with you,  a baby carrier - i used to use the bjorn, but looking at the ergo for this baby,  and an infant car seat - so much easier for transporting baby so  you don't need too wake baby after car rides or when you need to pop into the grocery store. 

In my experience any blanket will do to swaddle, and my winter babies i like to dress in footies and sleep sacks,  the carters ones were always the nicest although maybe some new brands are better now?
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • wal2017wal2017 member
    edited August 2017
    This isn't an item for the registry, but... whats the word on pregnancy pillow/body pillows? is there a "best" pillow? I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one soon but get mixed reviews on the Snoogle. Also- I'm just about 5 ft tall so if any petite ladies have input, please share!
  • I'm 5'4 and I bought the Boppy one bc of the shape.  I personally didn't like the shape of the Snoogle but I know other people love it.
  • @wal2017  I got the Restorology one on Amazon and love it! I bought it really early cause I was sleeping horribly and couldn't get comfortable at night. I sleep soooooo much better with it. 
    I'm 5'5, by the way.
  • wal2017 said:
    This isn't an item for the registry, but... whats the word on pregnancy pillow/body pillows? is there a "best" pillow? I'm going to pull the trigger and buy one soon but get mixed reviews on the Snoogle. Also- I'm just about 5 ft tall so if any petite ladies have input, please share!
    I'm 5'2" and had the boppy brand pillow. It worked out fine for me, but I've never tried anything different.
  • @wal2017 I have a leachco back n belly chic and it is amazing! Kind of pricey but I bought it during my last pregnancy and have used it since. It was great for breastfeeding as well if you plan on it!
  • I really, really like baby stuff and gear. I'm one of those people that will buy all of the things. But I'll try to give you my favorites from my first two, etc.

a&a swaddle blankets are a MUST for us. Pack n Play with bassinet insert. The Swing/Bouncer was essential with my second baby as she néeded to be put down in a safe place more often (crazy toddler running around and all), we are getting the graco duo this time to save some space with that. I LOVED my Ergo 360 with my second baby. BEST money I ever spent. I'll be getting one this time around as well. I also like Click Connect car seats. Backpack diaper bags. lots and lots of cheap onesies because babies are gross little people. I think a humidifier is a good investment, seeing as how we're due in February. I needed one for both of my January babies because of the dry cold weather we have then. Get an assortment of the baby medicines to have on hand, ask your future pediatrician if you want specific brand suggestions. Also the thermometers, etc are necessary to have. I love the boppy pillow too. I don't breastfeed, but it was really helpful when my babies were learning to lift their heads, and also when I needed something under my arm while bottle feeding. It was also great when they were just learning to sit up but were still wobbly. 

I also really loved loved having a diaper pail, but some people don't love them. We've lived in apartments with ours so it's not easy to just throw out the diapers outside. i also love having an infant tub for when they are itty bitty, but some people prefer not using one.

products I didn't like, or wouldn't buy again:

swaddleme blankets, they keep the baby snug but it's hard to not wake the baby if you're trying to change them without waking/etc, because of the velcro being pretty loud.