February 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 7/27

2»

Re: UO Thursday 7/27

• Options
    I agree with @soulcupcake it's part of being in the parenting online forums. Is it annoying to learn something new? Sure, but it generally carries over into the private fb groups. So the sooner you learn them, the easier it will be. 

Maybe my UO is I think we live in a lazy generation where people don't want to take the time to learn about how an online community works. They just want to show up, drop in, and do whatever pleases them. That is why I have Drive by posts. Stay awhile, learn the lingo, participate and give support, and this community can be amazing. I don't know what I would do without the ladies from my first BMB. 
    ^THIS. Alllll of this. 
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    @meatball37 I share that UO, not just in online forums, but any kind of group thing.  I appreciate the excitement, but take a moment to figure out the rhythm of a place before diving in. Or if youre not sure, try to research and figure it out first before just asking/posting willy nilly. Specific to here, theres a whole "read this first" thread so read that first! 

That being said, I do think there are kinder ways to let newbies know there are "rules", if even by starting your reply post with a "welcome newbie". Its not very welcoming when you get a bullet list of things you did wrong.  But then again, that may be the point.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @clc515 totally agree. Although in my experience even when people are kind and point out topic threads for newbies, most of the time they seem to still get offended. I just don't care for the ones who post an AW thread question relating only to themselves. And never post again. If they want that kind of interaction, use google. 
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    @meatball37 That's a good point, that some people just get offended easily! And I'd guess being on boards for a while, makes total sense that you'd recognize those threads faster and have a lower tolerance for that. As a newbie myself, it took a while for me to feel comfortable posting til I figured out the rhythm of things so I didn't get flamed for something I didn't know I was doing wrong. Then again, I did read read this first thread first lol.