February 2018 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 7/27

We haven't had one in a while....
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO Thursday 7/27

• Options
    I dont care if people have babyshowers for every baby they have if they want to. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @chucksmom15 I kind of doubt you are in the minority on that stuff. Even with my first I only did one of those things and it wasn't even on it's own, I did a reveal at my regular shower. I never even heard the terms babymoon or push present until I came on TB. No one in my circle does any of that stuff.
  • Options
    chucksmom15chucksmom15 member
    edited July 2017
    My SIL and cousin are shocked that I'm not @the_other_mother.  Doesn't bother me at all if other people do.  Been to a lot of gender reveal parties.  Just not interested lol.
  • Options
    @chucksmom15 I don't want to do a gender reveal party either. I toyed with the idea of doing a reveal on IG with a pic or boomerang popping a confetti balloon,  but I think I am too lazy. My mom was also disappointed we aren't doing a party but I'm ok with it. I may see if DH wants to go away for my birthday which is between xmas and NYE but more for a bday thing than a babymoon thing and somewhere close by. 

My UO is that I really don't like summer. It has been a glorious 68-72 degrees here the last few days and I just can't deal with the fact it will go back to 90s next week. I don't like the beach or pools, I like camping but much prefer to camp in the fall or spring. I love fall and winter and would happily have cold weather all year round. Being in 1st tri during summer in NYC (so smelly and gross) has really just solidified this point. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsJ2410 Fellow summer-hater here. I sweat non-stop from June through the end of September. Winter is when I'm cool and dry, and my hair looks amazing without the humidity to drag it down.

@clc515 I hope that opinion isn't unpopular. I always think of that SNL commercial about mom jeans when it says "Wear jeans that remind the world you're no longer a woman, you're a MOM." No, I'm a woman who is also a mom. And a wife. And an employed professional. With a name.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    @eggplantface YES I forgot about my hair! I feel like I am my best looking self in fall with layers and knits and non-frizzy hair. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yes @clc515!!  This woman in my office only calls me momma now.  I want to scream that's not my name!!!
  • Options
    I never had a party to reveal the sex. It was nice to just find out with my DH and then tell our parents. We posted a picture of a pink Christmas ornament on social media because it was around Christmas when we found out.

UO: I'm a teacher and am loving having summer off but I'm finding entertaining my one year old all day a lot of work. I feel like I'm back on mat leave waiting for my DH to get home. It would probably be different if I had more mom friends that had summer off to. We go on holiday tomorrow and I'm looking forward to not having to come up with ideas to keep my DD entertained. I'd be a terrible SAHM. Don't get me started on planning meals for her.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited July 2017
    I'm probably in the minority but not doing a gender reveal party, a babymoon and I don't want a push present.  I'm too lazy to do the GR party, we already have 2 trips in the next few months for family stuff and I could care less about getting a gift.  The money we would spend on this stuff will pay for nursery furniture.
    @chucksmom15 - I don't think you're in the minority, especially if it isn't your first. I had two showers with dd1 that other people planned for me, but that was it. Sex reveal parties wasn't a thing back then. It wasn't even a thing when I was pregnant with my fourth 7.5 years ago. It seemed to gain popularity these last 4-5 years.

I'm super introverted and don't like to be the center of attention. And like you say, I'm lazy and just don't care about parties in general. We're also not big into birthday parties. We don't do them. My kids' birthdays are in Nov and Dec when most people are shopping for the holidays or busy traveling. My older two girls are introverted as well and don't care for parties. I usually take them out to lunch or dinner, visit the nail or hair salon, go to the movies, and we get pizza, their preferred dessert and ice cream for later in the day. They have the option to invite a couple friends over. I like simple, so we keep it low key.

My UO: I've never been big on limiting screen time, and I don't restrict what my older two watch or read. They pretty much read and watch the things we like, assuming they're interested, and books of historical and cultural importance, which is identical to my parents' approach when I was younger. I developed my interests in certain genres thanks to my parents. We're a family of cinephiles and avid readers of many genres. I'm pretty breezy about a lot of things, but not when it comes to their education and creative exploration and development.

UO #2: I can't get down with kids' schedules being full of extracurricular activities. It's a good thing my girls' main interests outside of reading are writing and drawing because I don't have the will or patience to shuffle them to several different activities. We have a max two activities, and never during the same time/season.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I am not doing any of those. For one i am one of those thay baby makes 5 kind of family and we are living ina 2 bdrm apt until about november then renting a hiuse. We have shitty credit and my closest family member is a good 13 hr drive away in missouri and i live in Pennsylvania. We like to do thi gs with our kjds so we will do somethi g crwative to reveal the babys sex to them but i have been a sahm and online college student for 4 yrs so we dont have friends and DH family is gone. As for a babymoon not enough miney for that so we might just go to the city and get a hotel roo. And celebrate the expansion. Push presnt please my lo is my push present. My youngest is 8 so its a gift to have one.
  • Options
    @chucksmom15 Nah I'm not into any of that either (though if we had money to go on a so-called babymoon I wouldn't complain, haha). Parties stress me out and all of that stuff is expensive, more so than it's worth to me. With DS I texted everyone when we found out he was a boy, and that sufficed.

Not much for summer here either, at least not July when it's too hot to enjoy it. I do like summer things though, so I soak up every bit of the pleasant May/June part of summer! Looking forward to fall though. 

I guess my UO is that I don't really enjoy having pets. I've always had them around but I'm just not a cuddly person and don't like hair or tongues on me. I should say, I've never been the one to choose to have a pet, my parents got them when I was growing up and my husband got our dog while we he was still living with his parents in college. I like our dog, she really is a good dog most of the time, I just am not overall a pet person and if it is ever up to me (which it probably won't be haha) I probably won't get another pet. But I imagine my kids will want pets so I'll probably just let them and DH enjoy having them and get over it.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    @snoelle417 - I am the same way. There are times I get excited about buying new makeup, use it once or twice, and not use it again for a long time. I just don't have the patience for it, and I'm lazy. The last time I wore makeup was in May-ish, and it was only mascara and lip tint. I usually only wear lip moisturizer to keep my lips soft. I can look pretty damn good when I do my face all pretty, I just don't really like the process and can't imagine doing it everyday. I don't do contouring, highlighting, or anything that extensive. Too much work. Lol I do have a nice concealer and foundation that I rarely use. 

• Options
    @soulcupcake totally! I wear makeup at work because I feel like it's important to look the part, but it's minimal! I buy good makeup, which is why I hate buying it cause it's expensive! Ultimately it chalks up to laziness haha, no shame.
  • Options
    @snoelle417 yes!! Makeup is the worst! I rarely wear it in the summer and only do during the school year because my students oh so tactfully tell me I look tired when I don't. 
  • Options
    @gingermama26 Ouch! Kids are tough critics LOL. Occasionally DH will be like, "You're not wearing any makeup?" And I'll give in and throw some mascara on, haha!
  • Options
    I hardly ever wear make up @snoelle417!  I had everything done for our wedding and everyone was amazed lol.  Even for work it's a little concealer and some powder.
  • Options
    I love make up but i am a hige believer in keeping it simple and natural. What o ajte is BRAS i mean is soo. As i can mine is off my daughter is like well my frined is comming over and i am like so its my house and if she dont like it tough shit lol. They make me break out and with the pregnancy just makes it worse becuase now i am up a whole cup size. Plus my daighter sleeps in hers like i have warned her about it so fi ally she agreed to sprots bras bc now she is breaking out.. My opinion is free the boobs in yhe house
  • Options
    MrsJ2410MrsJ2410 member
    edited July 2017
    @mamajenna_cnm Wow, that's so rude (the responses from family) . I love long hair on boys and don't plan on cutting my son's hair if we have a boy. 

edited for clarity 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with someone asking me if I'm pregnant. Most people are just excited for you and don't mean anything by it. I think its rude to get snarky about it. 
  • Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with someone asking me if I'm pregnant. Most people are just excited for you and don't mean anything by it. I think its rude to get snarky about it. 
     To be honest, I'm of the same mind as you.  I actually kind of enjoy when people are curious and then genuinely happy for us. Especially since I will be having this baby 10 months apart from my second born I've been getting a lot of Snark from strangers about how "well, it couldn't of been planned then" or "My you're going to be busy"   And just the general attitude that I have no business being pregnant. 
  • Options
    My UO: 
     I get really angry at people who give families crap for rehoming a pet when the pet is becoming a danger to their children. 
     I am part of several Facebook "mom groups" and it never fails to come up every couple months where a family is having issues with their cat or dog harming or getting aggressive with their children and so they seek to rehome their pet through the group. There is always at least one person who goes on a tirade against  that parent and says things like "you're pet was your "child" first and just because you later decided to have kids doesn't make them any less a part of the family. You wouldn't rehome your older child if they were being aggressive to a younger child.  The same goes for your pets!"
    Yeah no. That is not how it works! I am totally for people taking proper care of their pets but when it comes to the safety of their children, a new proper home needs to be found for any pet that is being aggressive toward a child.   The safety of your child should never be worth less than your love of a pet. 

This is also my UO.  We had a dog that DH and I absolutely adored.  When I was pregnant with DS, we moved.  That was stressful on him, not because it was a new house, he was used to traveling, but our new house was extremely busy.  DH's business is next door and there are constantly tractors, big trucks, tractor trailers, etc coming in and out.  The dog started going after the mailman and customers who would stop by our house after hours.  He never actually bit anyone--but it wasn't worth the risk.  We re-homed him with our best friends who live in the country and have older children to play with.  He loves it there.  We got so much backlash about getting rid of the dog.  
  • Options
    mommaSG said:
    I love make up but i am a hige believer in keeping it simple and natural. What o ajte is BRAS i mean is soo. As i can mine is off my daughter is like well my frined is comming over and i am like so its my house and if she dont like it tough shit lol. They make me break out and with the pregnancy just makes it worse becuase now i am up a whole cup size. Plus my daighter sleeps in hers like i have warned her about it so fi ally she agreed to sprots bras bc now she is breaking out.. My opinion is free the boobs in yhe house
    I agree with you on the whole sleeping in bras! My teenage daughter does it and it bothers me so much.  She needs to free them at night.  Plus she is a 30g and her bras are freaking expensive! She can sleep in sports bras if she wants though. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • Options
    My UO: 
     I get really angry at people who give families crap for rehoming a pet when the pet is becoming a danger to their children. 
     I am part of several Facebook "mom groups" and it never fails to come up every couple months where a family is having issues with their cat or dog harming or getting aggressive with their children and so they seek to rehome their pet through the group. There is always at least one person who goes on a tirade against  that parent and says things like "you're pet was your "child" first and just because you later decided to have kids doesn't make them any less a part of the family. You wouldn't rehome your older child if they were being aggressive to a younger child.  The same goes for your pets!"
    Yeah no. That is not how it works! I am totally for people taking proper care of their pets but when it comes to the safety of their children, a new proper home needs to be found for any pet that is being aggressive toward a child.   The safety of your child should never be worth less than your love of a pet. 

YES!!! We got sooooo much shit from people when we rehomed our three dogs after DS was born.  The male dog was biting him over and over no matter what we tried, and one of the females behavior majorly changed and she started to pee all over the house.  It became way too stressful for us to handle, and ultimately, our human baby was our priority.  Even our vet made it seem like we didn't "try hard enough" to work with them. I'm sorry that we are two working moms with a newborn trying to survive and don't have time to retrain three adult dogs.

My UO is that I don't think it's necessary to cut my sons hair even though he's a boy.  We've never cut it since he was born (he's 18 mos).  He has the most beautiful long blonde hair and my wife and I are having a hard time parting with it.  Not to mention, I'm pretty sure my son loves it!  Most people mistake him for a girl, and when they find it he's a boy say: "oh well it's BC his hair is so long."  Ive had family members comment on how if I had a husband he would never let DS have long hair, and I'm lucky that I have a wife instead to "get away with it."  Ummm...I'm sorry...first of all it's not your business.  Second of all his hair is dope.  And finally, I don't have to conform to social norms just BC it makes you uncomfortable!  
    We didn't cut my 2nd sons hair til he was 3. He had the cutest blond curls!! Once we cut then they never sane back. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My UO: 

I had to rehome my two cats after I had my DS. We had them for nine years but one of them was straight up evil. It was fine before DS was mobile, but once he was, he would torment the cat and we just could not risk it. It was awful and incredibly sad but it would not be fair to DS or my cat to keep the cat. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1 10/5/13 MMC 11/13/13 D&C 11/15/13
    BFP #2 5/14/14 EDD 1/19/15 Beta 1: 728 Beta 2: 1858 We have a heartbeat! 166 @ 7w3d  Please be our RAINBOW!
    Baby G is a BOY!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Ashoes123Ashoes123 member
    edited July 2017
    Those pictures people post on Facebook of their babies with their faces covered in food (usually spaghetti sauce) are more gross than cute.

edit: posted an incomplete sentence
  • Options
    Ashoes123 said:
    Those pictures people post on Facebook of their babies with their faces covered in food (usually spaghetti sauce) are more gross than cute.

Guilty! 
  • Options
    starlastarla member
    Ashoes123 said:

Yup!
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    mblomq2 said:mo
    Here's something kind of silly. My unpopular opinion is the level of abbreviations on these freakin sites. I know there's a glossary post somewhere, I've read it, but I still don't remember what all the things mean and end up having to look shit up on the regular. U/o, u/s, fffc. Like can we not just spell them out? This is not the 90's with mobile phones, we have autocorrect now. It doesn't really shorten my effort here.
    I don't know 1/2 The abriviations either , i just ebbs up reading the threads to figure it out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    After 13 years of being active on pregnancy/parenting and other forums and groups, I'm used to abbreviations. They no longer bother me as I see them as part of online forum culture's lingo. After a while, you pick it up and adapt to it. *shrug*

• Options
    alice0218alice0218 member
    edited July 2017
    mblomq2 said:
    Here's something kind of silly. My unpopular opinion is the level of abbreviations on these freakin sites. I know there's a glossary post somewhere, I've read it, but I still don't remember what all the things mean and end up having to look shit up on the regular. U/o, u/s, fffc. Like can we not just spell them out? This is not the 90's with mobile phones, we have autocorrect now. It doesn't really shorten my effort here.
    This so much! :D I think I spend more time googling the abbreviations than it would take to just type what the word is. Or even trying to recall an abbreviation I know that I already know, it take a few extra seconds. I wish we could just type things out. Or at least more things. It seems like there is an abbreviation for everything, like way more things than there should be. Does anyone actually know or use them all? Does it really save anyone time?

Ditto on not loving summer. I pretty much keep my mouth shut IRL since it's such an unpopular opinion, but when everyone is bitching about the cold in winter, I'm thinking how it sucks that we barely got any snow. And in summer I really don't enjoy being outside in anything over 75 degrees which is pretty much late June through early September. Unless there is a water activity involved, but usually there isn't. 

Ditto also on not planning to do a baby moon, gender reveal, pregnancy announcement, push present, etc. I think most of that is just marketing pressure and made up stuff to get people to spend more money. Ain't nobody got cash for that! At least I don't. Honestly, I've seen plenty of my friends doing those things but many of them are either making more money than DH and I, or they are in more debt. If I had significant amounts of extra money we'd probably put it into home improvement instead. There is so much we want/need to do to our house.

I think most of these UO are actually pretty popular  ;).

My UO: I definitely like ketchup and I'm not afraid to use copious amount of it. One of my pet peeves is homemade ketchup at restaurants. We went out last night for burgers at a trendy burger place and they do homemade ketchup, which is the only thing really bad about the place. I've been there before and wished I had saved ketchup packets to sneak in, but I don't save those. No I do not want your runny, clumpy tomato relish on my burger or fries. It makes me sad. Just give me some Heinz.
  • Options
    @alice0218 Heinz 4 lyfe