1st Trimester

adhd meds

Anyone on Adderall for adhd?  What was your prescribing dr's and/or OBs advice?  Lower dose?  Come off completely?  Just got a BFP yesterday and am scared as i dont know how i will manage without it at all.
Thanks for any feedback, ladies!

Re: adhd meds

• kiki75kiki75 member
    You should call your doctor(s) for recommendations. According to the Ovia pregnancy app, Adderall is a class C drug meaning "Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks."  I wouldn't freak out about any you've taken up to this point because it takes embryos a little while to actually get hooked into your blood supply. But you should definitely call today to make a plan. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • muggle621muggle621 member
    edited July 2017
    Ask your doctor but my neuropsychologist told me to come off the Adderall when TTC. I am not a medical professional but at one point I researched this heavily as I wanted to get back on it while TTC due to extreme weight gain the 6 months I got off it. Most studies I read found it was mostly studied in animals but as my doctor said women won't be lining up to participate in research to see if it harms the baby or not therefore it's best to stop taking it since it did cause defects in animals. It is a stimulant therefore not safe. It's hard but you learn to deal, especially now the safety of your baby is at stake. 
    I agree with @kiki75 don't freak if you have already taken it but call your doctor asap to make a plan. 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • My Dr. stopped refilling my prescription as soon as I told her we were ttc. I gained weight and had trouble adjusting to staying focused at work, but now I'm glad to be off it while pregnant and breastfeeding. My Dr wouldn't budge, even after a year of ttc. I'm glad it turned out the way it did.
  • I was on adderall and Paxil I had to stop at 5wks when we confirmed the gestation sac. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you, ladies.....trying to wean off....this is very rough

• @Nursenic78 It's hard but I keep telling myself it's worth it. I just quit cold turkey. In my personal experience (though everyone is different) I found quitting cold turkey and getting rid of all the pills was easier since I personally didn't experience any side effects from stopping suddenly like you would an antidepressant. I suggest talking to your doctor about when you need to be stopped completely for it not to affect the baby. I think it takes time for the placenta to attached (week 5 or 6 but I'm not sure ) so you probably have til then. Just my guess though, def ask your obgyn! 

• Thanks...my OB and shrink told me I could slowly reduce but I cant even do my job.  Im soooo foggy and disoriented. Anyone else have a really rough time coming off?  
  • @Nursenic78 I had a horrible time coming off a much lower dose with my 2nd daughter, I came really close to having to be short term committed into a facility, but Paxil in and of itself is notoriously difficult to come off of. This time was easier for me, I was on 15mg adderall and 37.5 mg Paxil ER. I am wondering if it was easier to come off this time because switched me to the ER version of both meds this time? I don't know, but I came off with not much issues 3 weeks ago. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Im on 30 mg of the ER version...slowly reducing, but Ive gotten so disoriented I get nervous driving.  Shrink wont Rx anymore, but I went to a perinatologist who isnt that concerned as long as I can lower dose to 15 ER and try not to take it every day. Guess every Dr has their own opinion.  I also am on Celexa 40 mg which both shrink and perinatologist told me to stay on.
  • @Nursenic78 I'm sorry you are having a hard time. I had a terrible time myself. When I was still TTC I found half of one once and immediately took it. I had the most productive day that day! I promise it gets easier!