Baby Names

Baby boy arriving soon!

LadyDi711LadyDi711 member
edited July 2017 in Baby Names
Hi all,

My husband and I are having trouble taking the dive and committing to one of the names on our short list. Baby boy is due Aug 24th. Some cons (for us) about the names are the nicknames that could possibly happen which we dislike and/or the popularity of the name.

Please help! Last name is one syllable starting with Y.

options are in alphabetical order. Thanks!!

Baby boy arriving soon! 53 votes

Andrew
66% 35 votes
Christopher
24% 13 votes
Michael
9% 5 votes

Re: Baby boy arriving soon!

• My 31 year old nephew is Michael and never has been Mike
  • I voted Andrew since I haven't heard that on any younger kids lately. I do love Michael though. The nickname is inevitable for Christopher and Michael. I have a Philip and people shorten it to Phil occasionally. I don't like it but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. Just reinforce the longer version and most people will follow suit. 
  • Loading the player...
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I don't think the nicknames are as automatic for Andrew and Michael as they are for Christopher (more syllables)
  • My husband is named Michael and never goes by anything else. Sometimes random people (like our neighbor) will decide to call him Mike, but it's not something that happens often. I agree with PP that Christopher gets the Chris nickname more automatically than Michael/Andrew get nicknames.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Thanks for the input! We do like Michael since it's a family name but Mike or Mikey turn us off. Plus since it's always in the top ten, my husband is always thinking of other Michaels he knows. With Andrew, we just really wouldn't want him to become Andy, the nn Drew would be okay. Christopher, I like the length of it and would be okay if he grew up and became Chris with friends. The reaction to the possibility of it hasn't been encouraging from family so I think that's why we're struggling to commit as well.
  • I have to be honest all three names are traditional names with very traditional natural nicknames. If you really dislike a nickname I would avoid it. Only because you can't control if your son will like it and prefer it

• mb0112mb0112 member
    I don't think Andrew would get "Andy" much at all.  As a teacher I would never call Andrew Andy unless he told me to.  I had an Andrew who went by Drew this past year.  Usually called him Drew, sometimes called him Andrew, never once came close to slipping and saying Andy. 
  • I have a cousin Andrew and a BIL Andrew, and both go by their full names. Rarely does anyone try to shorten it for either of them. I feel like Christopher and Michael are more likely to be shortened. In fact, I have a cousin Mike(y) and a cousin-in-law Chris, and I have never heard anyone call them by their full names.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Love Andrew. That would be my pick.