March 2018 Moms
Options

Safe Cleaning Products

Not sure if there's a board for this.. couldn't find one. Anyone know of any safe, friendly cleaning products for pregnant women? What do you ladies use?

Re: Safe Cleaning Products

• Options
    I don't change my cleaning products. I already use a lot of Norwex products and Mr. Clean for the bathrooms. I make sure I have the fan going and the door open when I'm using the Mr. Clean. But I tend to do that even if I'm not pregnant. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When my son was born, I turned pretty granola (no judgement, please). 

I basically use some concoction of baking soda, vinegar and Dawn for almost every single thing, including detergent. 

I use bleach sparingly bc it just stinks, preg or not. 

Vinegar stinks, too, but I add essential oils to the spray bottle and really like it. 
  • Options

@barrelocarol no judgment here! :)

thank you for the advice!

• Options
    Forgot to mention, cleaning vinegar is slightly stronger than regular vinegar and I use that to disinfect. 
  • Options
    kmallskmalls member
    @barrelocarol  I actually use a combination of white vinegar plus peppermint and lavender essential oils to clean our chicken coop. It smells pretty good! 
  • Options
    @ksmalls and the vinegar isn't too bad? would you use that in your bathroom, too?
  • Options
    kmallskmalls member
    @crossfitbabybump personally no, I wouldn't use it in my bathroom, though a lot of people would. That particular combination is pretty good a repelling bugs, so that's why I use it in my coop. Compared to typical cleaning products it's not particularly strong. 
  • Options
    I use the Thieves cleaner from young living, smells wonderful too!
  • Options

I use diluted bleach for everything in the kitchen/bathroom. For floors, I use pinesol or Lysol all purpose cleaner. It's all safe to use if properly diluted.

Married 6/2013, TTC 9/2013.
    ***TW***
    MC 12/2013, Blighted Ovum 04/2014, CP 06/2014
    Began RPL testing 07/2014
    BFP #4 10/26/2014; Theo born 07/2015
    BFP #5 06/17/2017, EDD 02/28/18

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! Makes me feel at ease!
  • Options
    @kmalls Love those 2! Now I'm going to diffuse the two together. Good idea!

@heatherdubrow Totally get what you're saying! If there has been some infection in our house, I use bleach. PSA: CDC site says concentrated hydrogen peroxide works against norovirus!
  • Options
    @barrelocarol that's good to know! When I worked as a nurse the hospital policy was bleach only for norovirus. Glad to know there are other options!
  • Options
    @heatherdubrow You know, at home, I'm good with other options, but in a hospital, Im glad to know they are using bleach and other major things like that! 

Reminds me of the poster who was given a poop gown in the hospital!! Terrible!
  • Options
    DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited July 2017
    I use one cup vinegar, one cup alcohol, two cups water, 10 drops of tea tree oil EO and 10 drops of  lemon EO.  I did this throughout my last pregnancy and this combo cleaned everything great.  Afterwards, out of laziness I bought commercial stuff and it didn't clean as well.  So, I went back to making my own.  

You need to find a crunchy group.  You seem to be drawn to a lot of aspects of a crunchy lifestyle.  @crossfitbabybump

Edited...just for clarification bc I think I sounded rude, but I mean a crunchy group in addition to this one.
  • Options
    @kmalls Love those 2! Now I'm going to diffuse the two together. Good idea!

@heatherdubrow Totally get what you're saying! If there has been some infection in our house, I use bleach. PSA: CDC site says concentrated hydrogen peroxide works against norovirus!
    In my microbiology class hydrogen peroxide was the most effective cleaner out of a host of products.  Who knew?
  • Options
    @antoto I should say, I def toss bleach in the toilet bc we have icky yellow city water and nothing seems to work as well. 

And yes! @DDRRT1982 I found the same thing!  I just mopped with fabuloso bc I was craving the smell (weird) and it did nothing for my floors and took all of my energy  :|
  • Options

@DDRRT1982 not rude at all :)

Crunchy??

• Options
    @DDRRT1982 I've seen studies about the same thing with hydrogen peroxide. And I've started using that more than bleach.

And a really easy, good cleaner is vinegar, blue dawn and really hot water. I use that on all my tile floors. My steam mop has died so I need a new one, but it is my other go to for cleaning tile floors. Our last two houses have had some or all tile. I in general don't clean the toilets or the shower when I'm pregnant unless I have no choice. The smell is just overwhelming for me in such small spaces. DH doesn't mind taking over those. I also started buying Lysol brand cleaners that use hydrogen peroxide to clean and have switched to method or Mrs. Meyers as well. 
  • Options
    Sorry, should have specified in original post... We have all wood floors throughout the whole house and when I mop on them with Lysol, sometimes it leaves streaks. But we also have 3 dogs so doggy prints are always going on in our house. My hubs doesn't mind cleaning I just feel bad because I want to help but wasn't sure what was safe to be around and what could harm the baby? I will definitely give these a try, thank you guys!
  • Options
    The only thing I would suggest is wearing cleaning gloves while you clean... which is better for your skin anyways...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @crossfitbabybump it just a term that references "granola".   People who are crunchy tend to look for natural or homeopathic remedies than conventional science.  There are so many aspects to being crunchy and often times people can adapt bits and pieces of this lifestyle to fit their lives.
  • Options
    DDRRT1982 said:
    @crossfitbabybump it just a term that references "granola".   People who are crunchy tend to look for natural or homeopathic remedies than conventional science.  There are so many aspects to being crunchy and often times people can adapt bits and pieces of this lifestyle to fit their lives.

That's a new one for me! Thank you, I learned something new today lol!
  • Options
    I use my normal stuff. I just make sure the spaces I'm cleaning are ventilated and wear gloves if I'm using something especially harsh- but those are both things I do when I'm not pregnant, also.
  • Options
    If something needs bleaching, MH does it then rinses thoroughly and we air out the room without me going near it for the rest of the day.

In the kitchen I use hot water and if any raw meat is involved I use that 7th gen spray stuff and then rinse the area in water after. I don't know how natural it is and the lemongrass smell isn't great, but I only use it sparingly. 

I've been meaning to try the vinegar + essential oil thing, but MH is convinced our whole house will smell of vinegar and with MS I am wary of introducing new smells at this point.
  • Options

@vflux33 I agree with the vinegar smell.. very weary. Maybe once MS has calmed down we can go back to that for cleaning windows. We use coffee filters instead of paper towels with vinegar because it doesn't leave behind the little pieces of paper towel stuck all over the mirrors and windows! But the smell is a bit much right now.

My husband has been very leery about me being around when he bleaches out the bathroom. He'll open every window and door in the house, too. Gotta give the guys credit for being so cautious. It's really cute and a good sign they'll make excellent dads!

• Options
    Weird, but vinegar smells kind of good right now.  It smells like something I want to eat but can't pinpoint exactly what...
  • Options
    @barrelocarol maybe pickles? I just bought a huge jar the other day but haven't had the desire to quite open it yet lol
  • Options
    I recently got some Norwex cloths and I like them so far. We still use bleach in the kitchen as needed, but DH does it when I'm pregnant. I'm not sure how natural they are, but I really like some of the Method cleaners (in particular, the wood cleaner). 
  • Options
    Weird, but vinegar smells kind of good right now.  It smells like something I want to eat but can't pinpoint exactly what...
    Fair fries and apple cider vinegar?

• Options
    With my first and with this one, I just make sure the area is well-ventilated. I love bleach and use it almost everyday because with 2 dogs and a toddler, things get gross lol. I use Lysol on the floors. I do like using peroxide and baking soda in the toilet because it eats the water stains, then I bleach. I do the same for the tub and shower. 

I have used 7th Gen products and I highly recommend their dish soap. Especially for breast pump parts and bottles, as Dawn and such liquids tend to leave behind a film and odor after a few washes. If this happens a good vinegar soak is magic to get them good as new, no one wants to feed their baby with a greasy, stinky bottle and nipple. 7th Gen surface cleaners are good for everyday use, considering there has been no raw meat on the surface or viruses going around the house. 
    Vinegar can also be used on windows, though I'm not totally sure of the dilution.