November 2017 Moms

YOUR old baby clothes?

My mom is insisting on giving me my old baby clothes from 30 years ago. She tried to give them to me with my first baby that was a boy, which I thought was super strange and I was able to decline by saying that I preferred to dress him in more boy clothing. As a side, I'm not super gendered in what I dress him in but we're talking 80s, frilly, VERY girly looking clothes. Anyway, now I'm having a girl and she is insisting on giving me these clothes again. Am I being terrible by not wanting these 30-year-old clothes? They're not like, homemade keepsake things, they're just old, out of date clothes. I mean, I'll take the clothes and dress her in one or two of the outfits when I take her to my mom's and then just give them back when the baby grows out of them. But I just think it's weird. Does anyone else think this is weird? Or am I being ungrateful?

Re: YOUR old baby clothes?

• kwaldykwaldy member
    My mom did the same with DD. I took it, to appease her. Saved a couple of keepsake things for funsies (first birthday picture outfit, etc), gave a couple other things to my stepdaughter for her baby doll and got rid of the rest. She never really asked about it... I think she just wanted them out of her house and couldn't bring herself to just donate/trash them so I had to do the legwork for her. 
  • Eh, I go both ways.  My MIL saved everything from my husband and his older sisters.  Some of my husband's clothing from childhood I definitely want: his Oshkosh train conductor overalls, his little navy blazers and red bowties, baby shoes, the clothing he has mentioned having a particular attachment to.   Otherwise, I'm ambivalent.   I'll take the clothes and, if they're still in good condition and not heinous, will use them. One less article of clothing to buy.  If you're not going to use them, donate them or otherwise give them to someone who can.
  • Loading the player...
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited July 2017
    DH's mom saved some of his clothes and blankets. I have two of my blankets. We are going to play a game at our shower where people guess whose is whose.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • kalenpkalenp member
    I think it's sweet. My MIL has given us my husband's old clothes from when he was little including a mini suit that's hilarious on. I'll probably save a few pieces for my boys for their kids someday, in particular their coming home from the hospital outfit at least. Hopefully my future DILs will appease me by throwing baby into the outfit once and taking a picture. I think it's just a sentimental gesture but I feel like it's completely up to you as to what you do with them. If you want to make some money there's a huge market for vintage baby clothes-- you could probably sell them online for decent money at least! 
    DS#1 3/13
    DS#2 3/15
    Baby #3~ 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Abby7Abby7 member
    MIL gave me some of DH's clothing for my daughter - it was mostly like winter hats and things that could be somewhat gender-neutral. Still - the man was born in 1973, the stuff is OLD and while in good condition, was obviously antique, and honestly it went with none of her other clothing. We kept it and said we'd use it but barely did.

She also saved his hair and teeth and gave them to me in a little glass case, which I really find creepy and do not want to keep but do keep to avoid offending her.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would just take them and maybe you'll be surprised to find a cute outfit or two. Maybe there will be some clothes that your DD can use to play dress up or use on her dolls. Otherwise just donate or toss what you don't want. Wouldn't be worth it to me to upset or offend family. 
  • @Abby7 that made me lol. Definitely creepy to give you his hair and teeth. It kind of made me think of why I find my mom's insistence kind of weird: it seems like something that should be HER memories. Anyway, like others have said I'll just take them, use what I can and then pass other stuff on. I totally agree with people that it's not worth upsetting anyone. 
  • It's weird if she's insisting but just offering would be fine. Both my girls have worn a few of my childhood dresses and 80s overalls. They are cute! My mom definitely didn't care whether I used them or threw them out though. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • There is only one dress of mine and my sisters and a little outfit all three of us wore home and a pair of shoes each mum kept but she doesn't really expect them to be worn again. 
    My mil has some beautiful jumpers that she knitted . One outfit from hubbies late aunt and a jumper his cousin made. They are all on the neutral side . One blue but it's a nice blue and a style either could wear.
    I crochet and knit and sew .  so I have an appreciation for quality handmade pieces. 
    They are still in good condition and if they fit come next winter ( 6mth) we will use them . 
    I already have a gorgeous cream cable knit boys jumper that was my husband's which is a size 2 I was given for my nephew to wear when he was little . It's in storage now and it'll get used when the time comes if it fits through the right season 
    But no just random old clothes 
    And there may be some things kicking about from cousins we will get but nothing loaded with pressure . 
    If it's a girl we are set . Ha ha 
    They will have 9 cousins who are girls . 
    Aged 1, 2, 4, 4, 5, 10, 10, 12 and 13 
    they only have 4 male cousins scattered at ages 22, 14, 12 and 8 my sister already gave away my nephews clothes up to size 8 I think (he is in size 12 now. Just turned 8) to a friend of mine in like January (ha ha bummer there were some very nice clothes in there that I bought him )
  • My mom only had my baby blanket from the hospital, knit baby booties, and a Christmas dress from when I was 6 months old. We did use the dress for DDs first pictures with Santa. If she did give me more I would probably take and decide what I wanted to keep and check with her before I donated the rest. 
  • I'm kinda sad that my sister and I have no girls to pass some of our dresses down to. We had some lovely dresses more towards grade school age that I would have loved to have a daughter wear. I don't think my mom saved any of our infant clothes. 
  • Both my mom and my MIL have given us some of our baby clothes when our daughter was born. Luckily some of them were actually vintagey cute. (apparently I make words up). Some of them were god awful though and I just kept them in a bin. Pretty sure they're still floating around in the basement somewhere. I have no idea what will happen to them. I feel like it's just kind of tradition around here to pass on clothes even if they won't wear them, more as a sentimental thing maybe? If nothing else it makes for some cute photos.
  • I don't think my parents kept anything. Bigger stuff was borrowed from friends so they were sent back years ago and clothes and such I think they got rid of. I asked a few weeks ago if they had anything of ours and my mom kind of looked at me like why would we lol! His mom has random things like the cradles his dad made his brother and sister (DH didn't get one, he used one of theirs) so apparently that means we can't borrow a cradle for our baby, but SIL borrowed both for her twins...I don't get it. I kinda wish we had stuff from when we were babies and I'd love to hold on to a few things from our kids for when they have their own.