High-Risk Pregnancy

Preeclampsia after birth: when did your BP go down?

hello! I was diagnosed with preeclampsia at around 31 weeks due to high BP wavering around 145/100 and even as high as 165/110.  I was induced at 37.5 weeks.  Fortunately, my baby is now a healthy 4.5 month old.

Even thouhh I gave birth more than 4 months ago, my blood pressure is still above average, and is around 133/89. Before birth, it was almost always exactly 120/80, so it still has not returned to normal. 

For those moms who had preeclampsia and gave birth, when did your BP return to normal?  Thanks for any help you can provide. 

Re: Preeclampsia after birth: when did your BP go down?

• With my first (currently expecting my second), my pre-e was caught at 36.4 weeks, endured at 37 weeks. I had to be readmitted at 5 days post partum because my blood pressure was so high at my first post partum OB visit. They put me on blood pressure meds (safe for breastmilk) and I stayed another couple days in the hospital. But after that it was normal. I'd think yours would have naturally went down by now. I'd say give a call to the OB if it's interfering with everyday life. Good luck!
  • After preeclampsia and Hellp, my blood pressure was still high at my 6 week check up, not terrible, but higher than normal. The doctors didn't seem concerned since it was not at a dangerous level, they figured I was just stressed, which I was.
  • Loading the player...
  • My son is 19 months old and I am still on blood pressure medicine. 
  • I was discharged on BP meds, and remained on them for about a year postpartum. My son is 4 now, and I still struggle with it. I am not on medications and as long as I exercise on a regular basis my bp stays in the 130s/70s range, which is ok with me.