1st Trimester

Gender disappointment

I am so nervous this time around when it comes to finding out the gender of my baby. I don't want there to be any feelings of disappointment. I'm thinking of waiting to find out the gender when I give birth. My husband and I have four boys and I really want to have a daughter.. Has anyone else felt this way? 

Re: Gender disappointment

• Loading the player...
  • It's ok to be wishing for a girl. I think gender preference (however slight) is normal. I have known many people to experience this, but they all say it passed quickly. I would find out ahead of time to prepare, but waiting also has its advantages. I'm sure if you're holding your baby you won't care what's between their legs! 

• I think gender disappointment is totally normal. I don't agree with the others. You have every right to feel however you want and YOUR feelings are totally valid - because they are your own. Don't worry about others opinions! You are a beautiful amazing lady. Take care of yourself! All the best for you and your growing family! 

I've just found out that I am pregnant. I have a feeling that this baby is going to be our second girl. I'd be disappointed for my husband - because he will be the last of his name on his fathers side and he'd love a little boy. But we both know that you don't get to pick and we'd be super excited for another girl. I love the idea of my daughter having a sister. I never did.
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]

•  

Yup.

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes I totally understand you I have 3 beautiful girls ages 15, 14, 10 and I'm really hoping this could be my boy. I recently remarried 1 year ago so to my husband it doesn't matter just that it will be a healthy baby this would be his first baby so he is super excited. 
  • I have three boys and we waited to find out with our number three what his sex was until her was born. It was exciting waiting and although I would have loved a girl it was a healthy boy. That is what my reality and I accept it and love every minute of it. Just like those people who think it's okay to shame you because you have feelings towards sex disappointment, they are entitled to their opinion of feeling that it doesn't matter what the sex is as long as you have a healthy baby. They have struggled to conceive and will never understand the frustration of "gender disappointment."
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you! I am in no way ungrateful to be having a healthy baby or trying to make it seem like I wouldn't love my baby regardless of the sex. I love my children but having a daughter would be a new experience. From picking out the nursery and the clothes. It would be exciting to me to buy dresses and bows this time around. I'm just hopeful which has caused some anxiety. "Disappointment" may have been the wrong word to use but I think some are offended which is not the intention of my post. I'm not ignorant to the fact that some women struggle with fertility and my heart goes out to them. 
  • For someone who has dealt with infertility issues for years, I don't think it's fair for people to tell you that you should just feel blessed to get pregnant and not worry about the sex of your baby.
    Everyone is entitled to share their opinion and their feelings based on THEIR own experiences. How would we (women struggling with infertility) expect other women to feel the same way we do? They haven't gone through the same journey, and why would we expect them to? 
    I think you should find out the sex of your baby, so you can picture what it will be like moving forward.
    Best of luck! 
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited July 2017
    Feelings are neither right nor wrong, they simply exist. Nobody has the right to tell you how to feel just because their experiences and feelings are different. Recognize and acknowledge your feelings, explore them and know they are there. You are not ungrateful or a bad mother because you have a preference, ignore anyone who indicates that you are. They have their own set of struggles that dictates their feelings, just as you and I do. 
    Personally, I would find out the sex at the AS just so there aren't big surprises during that already emotionally fueled time of delivery. 
  • I understand both sides. I have two boys and am hoping this one is a girl but am most concerned that our baby is healthy, regardless of gender. That is what matters most to me. If it's another boy, we can always try again. I love being a mom to boys so I absolutely won't be devastated if it's another boy even though I'm super hoping it's a girl. I figure God has His reasons and who knows what's best for us better than He? Praying for healthy, happy babies and uneventful pregnancies for all the expectant mommas here.
  • I know how you feel. I wanted a girl when i was pregnant with my second and had a boy. Now I LOVE having two boys and couldn't see it any other way.... but i did cry. Don't feel bad about having a preference. I'm sure you'll love him or her regardless but you're allowed to feel however you feel. 
    I don't think waiting until you give birth is the best idea though - you'll have enough other things going on then.
    Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
    I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 
  • edited July 2017
    I have 3 sons and a daughter, my youngest is 12. My husband has no children and it took us 2 years to conceive. I'll be 40, so this is very likely the last baby and I hope its a girl.

• It's okay to want a girl as long, as it's not really an all consuming issue for you. I get annoyed by people who always have to take it a step further and tell you what you should be worried about or what you should be grateful for. Clearly you just wanted someone to commiserate about this little hope. I, for one, would love a boy for my first. I'm sure you'd love your child regardless. Good luck!
  • This is our 4th and last child.  Our oldest is a girl, and the only girl in 15 grandchildren.  We would really like for her to have a sister, and so are really hoping for another girl.

If we have a 3rd boy we will rejoice in the child we have, but we will also mourn the child we won't have.

Your pregnancy and feelings about it are your own, and you owe nothing to anyone who will try to make you feel bad about them.
    PgAL (MC@7w 29/10/11 - lost you before we knew we had you)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I had my first I really wanted a boy.  I'm a tom boy and I hate the over girly things.  When we found out we were having a girl i was down for a few days.  I hated looking at all the girl things cause I found them awful and I didn't want to put my daughter in them.  Well I looked up how I was feeling and it's actual pretty normal and ok.  Yeah it sucks to fill disappointed because there are some many who want babies and don't care what the gender is.  But you are allowed to be upset.  Found out so you can give yourself a few days to be down and then move on.  Pretty much I made it clear if you buy my DD frilly girly dresses you will be wasting money because I won't put her in them.  My family understands and while some of them are a little down about it they have gotten over it too.  I did say if my daughter ever told me she wants the frilly dresses then I will buy them for her cause she is the one to make that choice for herself.  Although when we went and buy pj's for one day she actually picked out ones that were for boys because they had paw patrol on and she loves paw patrol.  She is happy and that is all that matter. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker