Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC and Tapering off Anxiety Medicine

Hi all! I'm new here and have been trying to lurk a bit - tried to search for this and couldn't quite get the answers I needed. DH and I are planning to start TTC in the next month or two, as soon as I've tapered off of my anxiety medication. I currently take trazodone, sertraline, and clonipin (which I am definitely tapering off of completely before ttc).  I went to my ob/gyn on Friday, and she said to see what my psych said about the other options. Saw the psych this morning and she had no idea :/ She flipped through a bunch of books while I came up with a plan on my own. My question is, is trazodone safe to remain on while TTC and through pregnancy? My instincts tell me no, but I'd love to hear some real life experience answers (since my doctor seemed like she'd never treated a pregnant woman before). TIA!

Re: TTC and Tapering off Anxiety Medicine

• Options
    The infant risk hotline is also an amazing resource: https://www.infantrisk.com/

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second what @JennyColada says. Find a psych that had experience with TTC and pregnancy or an OB with psych knowledge. 
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    @JennyColada has a good point. You could try searching for a reproductive psychiatrist in your area.

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Hi, sorry for ghosting and thanks for the responses. 

Yes, when I said "come up with a system on my own", I meant that we talked about lowering my dosage slowly, but she gave all sorts of "I don't know, however long, at least a couple weeks". I said that I would lower the dosage for four weeks and then check back with her, and then cut in half again. I'm not just turning to the internet for help, don't worry :) Also, I don't have much of a relationship with this doctor - I started seeing her when I moved here and she was helpful enough (only needed medication monitoring) until today when she proved inxperiencd on this topic. I know that both trazodone and sertraline are class C and that's why I'm going to stay on the low dose of sertraline, but I'm going to slowly taper off the trazodone. 

I wanted to know if anyone here takes trazodone, or had taken it through pregnancy. Finding a regular therapist is my next step. Thank you for the helpful links!
  • Options
    @ah1982 For experience taking any prescription drugs during pregnancy, you would probably have better luck posting on one of the trimester boards as most of the women here are still trying for their first and thus don't have the experience you're looking for.

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • Options

ah1982 said:
    Hi, sorry for ghosting and thanks for the responses. 

Yes, when I said "come up with a system on my own", I meant that we talked about lowering my dosage slowly, but she gave all sorts of "I don't know, however long, at least a couple weeks". I said that I would lower the dosage for four weeks and then check back with her, and then cut in half again. I'm not just turning to the internet for help, don't worry :) Also, I don't have much of a relationship with this doctor - I started seeing her when I moved here and she was helpful enough (only needed medication monitoring) until today when she proved inxperiencd on this topic. I know that both trazodone and sertraline are class C and that's why I'm going to stay on the low dose of sertraline, but I'm going to slowly taper off the trazodone. 

I wanted to know if anyone here takes trazodone, or had taken it through pregnancy. Finding a regular therapist is my next step. Thank you for the helpful links!

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • Options
    izza2izza2 member
    @ah1982 - Do you have a primary care provider?
    OBGYNs are great for your reproductive system, and your therapist is great for your mental state, but you should have a PCP to bring it all together and cover the rest. Including your prescription medications and helping you make an informed decision regarding your medications.

It's great that you're being an advocate for yourself, and I fully commend that. But, you shouldn't be deciding how to change your medication on your own, without a medical professional actually giving you information and helping you come to the decision.

For instance: when tapering off medications that affect your nervous system, it's usually suggested to cut about 10% of the medication every 4 weeks until you either get to a lower maintenance dose, or are off the medication. That's a suggestion, meaning that your doctor may feel you should cut less, or may feel that you are able to cut out more without it shocking your system as much. It depends on how long you've been on the medication, and what the dose is.

ah1982 said:
    Yes, when I said "come up with a system on my own", I meant that we talked about lowering my dosage slowly, but she gave all sorts of "I don't know, however long, at least a couple weeks". I said that I would lower the dosage for four weeks and then check back with her, and then cut in half again. I'm not just turning to the internet for help, don't worry :) 

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    Yes, I don't have a pcp yet (new to the area) but I am finding one today. I was just a little annoyed with the psychiatrist, since she didn't seem knowledgeable on the medication she prescribed! She suggested the half dose based on my dosage history. Thanks for the advice!