February 2018 Moms

Plus Size Moms

Just seeing if there are other plus size mom-to-bes out there like me... Did a search and didn't see a Feb17 thread, so thought I'd start one just in case! 

How far along are you? 
I'm 9w5d! 

If you're a FTM, what are your plans/concerns/questions about being plus size and preggo?
I'm mostly just concerned about keeping my weight in check. I mean I've been working on losing weight for so long, now doc is like, ideally you'll gain around the 15lb range. If I wasn't always watching the scale before, now I'm even moreso. Also... maternity clothes lol, but I won't worry about that for a bit later.

If you're a STM, what advice do you have to share for a FTM like me!

Re: Plus Size Moms

• I'm a stm and last time I was MUCH smaller. I stopped bfing in April and started losing some of the weight so I was excited! Now that I'm pregnant again I'm a little nervous about the weight gain. I'll probably talk to my doctor when I go the 21st. 
  • I'm 7w3d. I was in the process of losing weight (keto) when I discovered I was pregnant. I was a bit bummed because, yeah, a lot of doctors are fat phobic, so that sucks. I'm going to keep doing primal (a version of paleo) since it works really well for me.

I was at a normal weight during my last pregnancy, after losing a massive amount of weight, but was heavy with my others. I actually gained the most (50 lbs) during my normal weight pregnancy than my others. I gained 25 lbs with my first, and lost weight with my next three.

Since I know obstetrics can be very prejudice toward heavy patients, I tend to prepare for the usual weight-related questions they ask, and the patronizing and condescending comments and remarks. Almost like you don't know any better. Apart from a few visits, I was seen by midwives during my previous pregnancies, and they were great, especially my homebirth midwives. They never assumed I had health issues and treated me with respect and dignity. They didn't lecture me. Heck, my last midwife never weighed me, and my other two only weighed me on occasion during the last several weeks. 

Some overweight pregnant women experience weight loss, actually, due to the increase in metabolism. I "gained" 25 lbs with my first, and lost 32 lbs by two weeks postpartum, and with my second, I was -7 lbs from pre-preg at 8 weeks and the day I was induced at 39 weeks. I lost 20 lbs by 13 weeks with my fourth. I have a friend that started in the upper 200s that dropped 60 lbs during her pregnancy. It's not uncommon to lose weight by making healthier food choices, or just the way the pregnancy affects metabolic and endocrine changes.

The pregnancies where I gained little or lost, I had bigger babies. 
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Loading the player...
  • I was normal woth my son but gained 50 lbs and never lost it. I was on the iud for 7 yrs anf i think that contributed to it because once i got off that i lost 10 lbs now i am 200 lbs and thanks to food aversions and for some reason the baby doesnt lime caffeine or a lot of meats. I have been healthy just hate working out so i walk when i can. Oh and i am 8 wks and 6 days

• clc515clc515 member
    I'm a stm and last time I was MUCH smaller. I stopped bfing in April and started losing some of the weight so I was excited! Now that I'm pregnant again I'm a little nervous about the weight gain. I'll probably talk to my doctor when I go the 21st. 
    My doc didnt even bring up my weight initially so I asked too. It actually made me feel better I was the one to bring it up lol. Im also short 5' so I'm really thinking of how the pregnancy will affect joints and general mobility later on so really gotta watch it! 
    essentialpeace
  • clc515clc515 member
    Stuck in box weird. @mommaSG Im so tired I have a hard time convincing myself to walk every day... i at least try to get kegals in lol! 

@soulcupcake wow great insights! I have lost 1 lb haha, but I hadn't heard about metabolism having an effect though it makes sense.

I do think about how my weight could affect baby size too, though i guess we'll find out more as we keep growing. While my doc didnt seem too phased (other than suggesting to keep weight gain around 15),  I'd read so much about risks and stuff for plus size moms its nice to hear real world stories that things can go normally!
  • Hi, Thanks for making this group. I'm 7w,1d and have gained a 40lbs or so since my pregnancy last year, **tw loss*** I unfortunately lost my baby at 23 weeks and have been trying to take off the extra pounds since...  It hasn't been easy with hormones and emotions, I've just come to terms with myself because I didn't want to wait any longer ttc.... Anyway, I will have to see what by ob/gyn has to say about weight gain goals. So far I've been able to eat healthier this time around (last year all I could stomach was crabs because of food adversions).

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• STM here!
  • Stm as well, I have hypothyroidism & fluctuate anywhere from 215-260 in a year. 5'8 & have always been an Amazon woman! Haha 
    essentialpeace
  • 6w5d

I'm a STM. I was overweight with my son and gained very minimally with him. I didn't indulge and tried to maintain good eating practices regardless of cravings. I am 5' tall yet I stayed very mobile and not too miserable. I attribute that to not gaining weight. My biggest advice is to maintain a really healthy diet and don't indulge often. Keep walking/exercising!

I lost all baby weight and more by my PP 6 week check. BFing has been a bear. I had to consume more carbs to produce and gained weight instead of losing the last 18 months. I went back to a lower carb way of eating recently and lost some but not all of the weight. 

I was pretty upset initially because I didn't want to go through being overweight and pregnant again, but I have accepted it and  I'm just trying to enjoy pregnancy again! 
  • My underactive thyroid and issues with depression really did a number on my weight issues. The chronic pain and fatigue have been debilitating these last couple years. It sucks. When I discovered I had low ft4 and the lower than optimal range of ft3, it really started to make sense. We're having Mexican food today as our "feed" day, and I'll resume primal/paleo tomorrow.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

essentialpeace
  • We have a Mexican food day every so often, too. So good! 

I've been sitting here thinking about pregnancy advice and what would be even more important to overweight mommas. Shoes really make a difference. The support is absolutely necessary. Sizing up in clothes rather than trying to find maturnity saved my sanity and wallet.  :) 
  • I'm 7w3d. I was in the process of losing weight (keto) when I discovered I was pregnant. I was a bit bummed because, yeah, a lot of doctors are fat phobic, so that sucks. I'm going to keep doing primal (a version of paleo) since it works really well for me.

I was at a normal weight during my last pregnancy, after losing a massive amount of weight, but was heavy with my others. I actually gained the most (50 lbs) during my normal weight pregnancy than my others. I gained 25 lbs with my first, and lost weight with my next three.

Since I know obstetrics can be very prejudice toward heavy patients, I tend to prepare for the usual weight-related questions they ask, and the patronizing and condescending comments and remarks. Almost like you don't know any better. Apart from a few visits, I was seen by midwives during my previous pregnancies, and they were great, especially my homebirth midwives. They never assumed I had health issues and treated me with respect and dignity. They didn't lecture me. Heck, my last midwife never weighed me, and my other two only weighed me on occasion during the last several weeks. 

Some overweight pregnant women experience weight loss, actually, due to the increase in metabolism. I "gained" 25 lbs with my first, and lost 32 lbs by two weeks postpartum, and with my second, I was -7 lbs from pre-preg at 8 weeks and the day I was induced at 39 weeks. I lost 20 lbs by 13 weeks with my fourth. I have a friend that started in the upper 200s that dropped 60 lbs during her pregnancy. It's not uncommon to lose weight by making healthier food choices, or just the way the pregnancy affects metabolic and endocrine changes.

The pregnancies where I gained little or lost, I had bigger babies. 
    My sister was in the upper 200s and lost with her last baby. I think about 24 lbs if I remember correctly and that baby was still her largest. My son was 8lbs15oz though I gained very little. 

Was your friend's baby okay despite her weightloss? That's a pretty significant amount! 

• clc515clc515 member
    Im sorry for your loss @alemarie1. Here's to a healthy pegnancy this time around!

DH is pretty good at reminding me to keep moving. We walked to dinner the other night instead of driving (.5mi). Its sometimes such a bear when youre so tired! Multiple women and my doc said walking daily is so helpful! 

While the food choices are limited for me at the moment, I'm at least watching calories to not gain. Hopefully the aversions go away soon. Thinking i need to just add veggies in a smoothie for some greens since i can keep fruit down okay.
    essentialpeace
  • clc515clc515 member
    Stm as well, I have hypothyroidism & fluctuate anywhere from 215-260 in a year. 5'8 & have always been an Amazon woman! Haha

Stuck in box again oops. Ha i always admire tall Amazonian women! I feel more like a hobbit lmao!
    essentialpeacemanniebeth
  • I was at my heaviest when pregnant with my son, worked my butt off after he was born and lost just over 100 lbs, some of which I gained back before getting pregnant the second time.  Was at a much healthier weight with my daughter but never lost the baby weight. Since April I joined WW and lost 25lbs.  I'm currently between the weight I was with DD and DS. Not ideal, but could be worse.

I talked with OB at my first appointment and she is supportive of me staying on WW during this pregnancy.  I don't necessarily plan on doing it to continue to lose weight, but hope it helps keep me accountable, make healthier choices, and keep my weight gain to a minimum.  With both of my previous pregnancies I gained 50ish lbs.  I do NOT want to do that again if I can help it!
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
    essentialpeacemagnolia305
  • My OB never ever brought my weight up other than to say because of my pcos I was more at risk for developing gestational diabetes so I had to do the 1 hr test early and then again at a regular time. With my daughter I gained 15lbs and by my 6 week check I was down an additional 15 pounds 
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

essentialpeace
  • Plus size 4th time Mom here! I have hashimoto's/hypothyroid. All of my pregnancies have been complication free thankfully. No GD or blood pressure issues. 3 babies all a bit over 8 pounds. Doctors never hassled me about weight. Just plan to keep active which shouldn't be too much an issue with my little boys. :)
    SAHM to 3 kids- DD 8, DS 3, DS 1. Expecting one more!

Pregnancy Ticker
    essentialpeace
  • I'm 9w1d and a FTM. I actually had a lot of trouble getting pregnant because of my weight and PCOS. I really focused on weight loss this past year, dropped 45 pounds and was delighted to actually begin ovulating and finally get pregnant!! I've had the same doctor throughout the weight loss, so she knows the progress I've made and has cautioned me to not gain more than 15-25 lb during pregnancy, but said if I'm eating healthily and keeping active, I might actually continue (safely) losing weight during pregnancy.
    mommaSGessentialpeace
  • @soulcupcake I know you from MSOS! Congrats!!! 

I'm a FTM and have gained a lot of weight in the last few years.  I'm nervous about what the doctors will say especially because I'm seeing a new doctor after moving.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• clc515clc515 member
    @emsrdh03 WW worked for me while on it. I didnt even think to ask my dr if I should get back on. But I am still tracking my food in myfitness pal at least which i like to see nutrients and macros. 

@gingermama26 yay congrats! And we are pretty close to same week progression fun!

@heathermccarthy0924 you reminded me of a good point... i had to go to a new doc since i moved in the last year, so he didnt know my history and all that so i thought he'd make a big deal about the weight. He didn't though, which was a relief.

I secretly think all doctors do an inward sigh and eyeroll when they see my scale #, but thats probably just my own insecurity!
    essentialpeace
  • I think we all have that fear of what the dr will or wont say. I went to a quick clinic to confirm my pregnancy and the nurse didnt comment on my weight but in the notes she said it all. I was obese and that i needed to focus more on the fruits and veggies. Exersie and drink less caffeine. It lime destroyed me seei g that bc even though i am 5'4 and 200 lbs many assume i am o ly 165lbs. Plus i avoid the scale amd reading that after finaly being able to put on a size 16 pa ts anf shorts made me second guess my clothing
  • @mommaSG what a evil person! How can she assume your diet? 

I was 270 when I got pregnant with DS. I was 273 when I went in to labor and lost 30lbs like right after he came out. I worked really hard to lose 50 more lbs but I was still thick. I gained some weight back but when I went to see my doctor she said I could gain at more 20 lbs and I was like I'm not trying to gain any. But it kind of made me feel better that she said I could gain weight and still be healthy. Last pregnancy the stigma of being plus size was hard and I think what led me to not over eat or eat bad things. Which was better in the long run but i could have totally ended up with a eating disorder by the way people kept commenting on my weight. 
    magnolia305
  • See and that where i am at i want to make sure my LO is getti g the right nutrients thankfully it has me craving water and healthy food most of the time. Yeah ad said i should gin no more than 15 lbs i am anxious to go to the new ob on tuesday and dying to see my LO so are my kids i will be 10 wks and they are both excited my step daughter more so because she is 12 and u deratands more then my DS who is 8 he just assumes mommy is chubby
  • My general physician told me (before I got pregnant, when I told her we were gonna start trying) that I should only gain 15-20 pounds, I think. And that's all well and good when you're not pregnant and feel normal, but when I feel like puking most of the time, a salad is not sounding nearly as appetizing as a Carvel ice cream log. So I will eat what I can and worry about weight gain after the birth because at this point I'm in survival mode.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

mommaSGmagnolia305
  • @eggplantface That's how I was when I was pregnant previously--survival mode the first 16 weeks.  Because I was so sick, I lost a decent amount of weight--then only gained back about 15 lbs later.  Eat what you can keep down and don't feel bad about it! 

I have my first appointment Monday and I know one of her main talking points will be about the importance of keeping my weight in check--I hate that talk....
    mommaSGeggplantfaceladybug0088
  • clc515clc515 member
    Lol salads weren't appealing to be before or during the pregnancy! I am slightly concerned about sugar intake and GD because I'm eating so much starch since since it's pretty much the only thing that doesn't freak out my tummy. Bagels and rice and ramen! That's what prenatals are for, right lol? 

I'm kinda cringing at the future comments... thinking I'm not going to have that adorable round bump. I just found out yesterday my coworker is preggo because other coworkers were rubbing her belly and saying how great she looks. While I'll get that same warm reception, I don't see them petting me or saying how great I look lol (and frankly, I don't want people petting my belly EVER!) 
    mommaSGalemarie1ladybug0088
  • @clc515 I stinks not having people be able to tell I'm pregnant until later on,  that's why I invested in some really cute maternity clothes,  I especially like the baby- doll shirts that accentuate the bump, and the belly bands for smoothing everything out. I'm with you on not wanting my belly to be rubbed too .. 

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

essentialpeace
  • clc515clc515 member
    @alemarie1 where do you like to shop for maternity stuff? Other than Target and Motherhood Maternity and Amazon, I haven't really thought about where I'll be getting stuff yet.
  • 7w 3d 

Was 270 with DD and I think 280 with this pregnancy. My OB is so awesome about my weight gain (60 with dd). We are going to start low carb pretty soon as we are going to Europe in October and both would like to lose some weight. 

Good luck everyone!
    soulcupcake
  • @clc515 I've found some cute stuff at motherhood maternity, (wish they had a bigger selection though) also kohls online,  Zulily, and Pink Blush. Torrid also has a lot of cute baby doll shirts that can work well pregnancy or not.  This summer I'm rocking all the dresses to work, I've just been buying everything big so it can be worn before/during/after pregnancy. I just feel so much more comfortable with dresses and they hide the weight gain better than jeans/pants. :)

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

essentialpeace
  • alemarie1 said:
    @clc515 I've found some cute stuff at motherhood maternity, (wish they had a bigger selection though) also kohls online,  Zulily, and Pink Blush. Torrid also has a lot of cute baby doll shirts that can work well pregnancy or not.  This summer I'm rocking all the dresses to work, I've just been buying everything big so it can be worn before/during/after pregnancy. I just feel so much more comfortable with dresses and they hide the weight gain better than jeans/pants. :)
    Yes! Wearing the clothes after is a bonus. Some of my dresses I just belted and they looked "normal." I'd also suggest maybe some v-neck or stretchy tops if you plan to breastfeed and you'd like to wear them after baby. 
  • clc515clc515 member
    Monday Funday! How's everyone feeling about this upcoming week? 

It's amazon prime day tomorrow - anyone looking to get ahead of shopping for baby if there are good deals? I may check out some clothes! IF there are any deals.
  • Hi Ladies, feeling a little but down :'( I stepped on the scale and have already gained 15 pounds...Im sure a lot of it is bloat but I'm on progesterone and have read other women gain 20 lbs or so. I'm going to call my doctor and attempt to start tracking my food and also start exerciseing... I want a healthy pregnancy...  It's so frustrating, I come from a long line of round italians and we have slow metabolisms. Anyway, thanks for allowing me to vent, hope you'll have a great weekend .. 

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

eggplantface
  • clc515clc515 member
    Aw hugs, @alemarie1! Bloat is FOR REAL and so frustrating. I'm all about calling the doc when I'm concerned about something, so good on you. They may make you feel better!
    I actually step on the scale almost daily, which was a habit anyways, and I'm tracking food in My Fitness Pal to keep an eye on nutrient/macro intake. My doc suggested a daily % protein/fat/carbs to follow so it really helps me to at least TRY to stay close to that. 
    Major hugs though... this is a long journey to do the best we can to support a healthy wee babe. Sending positive vibes your way!
    ladybug0088essentialpeace
  • @clc515 Thank you so much for the kind words and support... I'll have to start tracking again with MFP.  

DD angel baby 10/16 <3
    Rainbow Due 02/20/18

• Hi nice to (belatedly) meet everyone! (This is my first post).

Weight isn't everything! They told me my target gain should be about 20 pounds max at my first prenatal, but I was insanely hungry (like haauungrry and actually shaking by lunch the morning I mistakenly only ate bran cereal and a banana for breakfast!) rather than nauseous the first two months of pregnancy (even before I found out!), and had gained 9 already unfortunately! Starting weight was 183 (I'm 5'5) and I'm now at 192. I was at my highest weight ever when I got pregnant, sadly, since due to some work stress on both me and DH's part we weren't cooking much. The nurse kind of freaked me out about gestational diabetes and other possible complications if I gain too much. Luckily once I started meal planning, cooking more, and avoiding simple carbs my weight has stayed steady the past 2.5 weeks or so.

They referred me to a nutritionist, who thankfully told me that since I was staying active everyday and knew what I was doing overall as far as eating healthy that I was doing great, looked great, my heart rate was 60 and my blood pressure was normal, and I've never had problems with high blood sugar, that I should be "totally fine" and not have complications and will probably pass my upcoming glucose test. That was a big relief. It's nice that unlike the first nurse she focused more on overall health than just the number on the scale. One good tip she gave me was to make sure to eat both a protein and also a fruit or vegetable with every meal, including breakfast.

Good luck to everyone with staying healthy!

Let me know if anyone has maternity clothes recommendations. I'm at that awkward "in between" b/t straight and plus sizes in pants/jeans, I'm a 16/18, but can wear a straight size medium or large for tops since I'm pretty pear-shaped. I did some shopping for motherhood maternity's sale today but mostly bought tops for the future when I'm showing since I didn't know whether I'd be in an XL or 1X for their bottoms. I bought a couple pair of maternity jeans and a pair of maternity shorts at Target and was an XL there.
    mommaSG
  • @evenstar1985 you're supposed to be able to buy the size you were before pregnancy but size 16/18 are tricky cuz sometimes stuff runs big or small. I've gotten to the point where I buy multiple sizes online and return the ones that don't fit. Plus size rarely are in stores to be able to try it on and see 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hello all! This is my first post here. Im 24, 5'4" and at my last appointment was 198. My doctor hasnt said a thing to me about my weight, which i dont know if that is good or bad? Anyways.... im 10 weeks along and i feel like im going to show very early! Any second timers out there know if thats possible? I dont show my weight, honestly, i think i LOOK like I weigh 160. I just really want to look pregnant, not just big!!! Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • @sunday6711 i am a mom for the second time amd yes its very possible to start showing early. And feel lo earlier especially if ur a stay at home mom. I am due at end of jan beginning of feb and i already show. Right now it looks like i am gaining weight i am 54 and 200 lbs but my stomach is pretty firm. I also can feel lo move around every now and then. I warned my us technician yesterday that it was moving up a storm and she kind of gave me that yeah right look but i was right. Lo was very stubborn and it took her an hr to get all the shots she need to for the first trimester scan. It feels like butterflies and then i have to pee instantly. 
  • clc515clc515 member
    @mommaSG that's so exciting you can feel baby already! Haha also, it's always nice to be right when there are doubters right! 

I'm 12 weeks today, 5' and 199 (haven't gained anything so far I think), and while I don't think I'm exactly showing, I'm definitely expanding. My bottoms that aren't stretchy (i.e. jeans/skirts w zipper) don't fit anymore lol and I added a bra extender... So guessing I'll just look like I'm getting bigger for a while before an actual bump happens! This is my first pregnancy, and sizing has always been an issue anyways, so I'm curious to see what will actually fit me in maternity clothes! 

@evenstar1985 that is a huge relieve all your vitals look great! What are you doing to stay active? I've been so tired that I haven't been as good about being active as I should. Gotta start walking and stretching more again!