February 2018 Moms

Any home birth or HBACers out there?

If I can work out an HBAC care provider that fits in my insurance, I would love to do a home birth. 

Anyone with personal experience if a home birth?

Random thought: Generally, the women I've spoken to who have done a home birth swear by it and are so happy. Those who have not done a home birth have the worst things to say about it. Anyone else experience this, too?

And man, that sentence is very awkwardly structured.  :|

Re: Any home birth or HBACers out there?

• This baby we are planning for a home birth of everything goes well leading up. I'm so excited about it. I have also heard lots of negativity about home birth from people who have never done it and only good from people who have.

To save myself from the unwanted opinions I don't plan on telling anyone that this is our plan until after the baby is born. It really isn't anyone's business and I know my mom would be less than impressed. Heck, maybe I will just never tell anyone. It wouldn't be too tough as last time I was discharged after only 4 hours in the hospital anyway

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited June 2017
    I've planned three, had two, my last a water birth. I was hoping to plan a homebirth with dd2, but there weren't any practicing homebirth midwives in the area at the time. I planned and had a low intervention med-free hospital birth. I'd love to plan another one, but I doubt it will be doable this time. I adore my previous midwife, and received fantastic care and had a great experience, even with the unexpected PPH. She had a special program that dealt with my insurance, so we only paid a portion of her usual fee, $2000 instead of $5500 (we live in NorCal). (I paid $2500 when I planned my other two as well, but lived in NC and GA where it's less expensive).

I'm a grand multip and having had a PPH before, and with my history of precip, there's a chance I'll hemorrhage again, though we only live 1.2 miles from the hospital and having spoken to her, she doesn't think it would be serious, as she'd give me pitocin immediately after birth and would use hemabate or methergine if she needed to. The cost is the big factor. After just completing a bathroom remodel, we don't have disposable funds to cover the full expenses. She charges $2500 to act as a monitrice, so I'd visit her for prenatal care on top of visiting the OB clinic, and she'd attend my hospital birth. I received dual care up to a certain point with my last three.

I don't really care for standard OB care/practice, but the NP said the practice is hiring midwives and there will likely be midwives when I deliver. Another option we may consider would be to hire a doula, which runs around $1000 in my area. I joke that it wouldn't matter anyway because we'd still have to prepare for an unexpected UC, and there's a good chance this baby would fall out soon after I arrive at the hospital. If a hospital birth is likely, I'd want to plan a "gentle" induction, because I'd need to be in a controlled environment at the time of birth. I want to make sure I have a birth attendant present so that I can get the pitocin injection.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Loading the player...
  • RSainiRSaini member
    I would love a home birth of everything is going well. My midwife actually told me to prepare myself for one because I had my first in 8 hours last year and she thinks the 2nd one will definitely come faster. My family is ok with it but my in-laws are definitely not. My husband is iffy about it also lol but if it happens, it happens. 
  • My first was a scheduled section so I planned a hbac for my second. I labored for four days and ended in a c section. It sucked. This time we're hopefully delivering with a birth center. Could just be my experience but I was so pro hb until my attempt. That's great if it works for others but I won't ever attempt one again.
  • I see myself in each of you. 

@sabriel1 I agree about not telling anyone! I was given this advice and loved it! Then, I couldn't hold back and started sharing it with a very select few but I am now using different, more confident language. 

@soulcupcake I learned so many new words from your post!!

@RSaini 8 hours! :o That's awesome! I was a 3 dayer so this time, I'm prepping to the best of my ability. 

@lolapop2005 I'm sorry about your experience and I'm appreciative of your courage to share your story!
  • My first was a 41+5 hospital induction with 2 failed epidurals. My second was a intervention and med free hospital  birth with a midwife. He was also a precipitous labor with only 2.5 hours from first contraction to baby on my chest. I'm planning a hospital birth with a midwife again this time, but given our history we need to consider an induction or prepare for an accidental home birth. The thought of a home birth honestly terrifies me.
  • My last 3 labors have been 2-3 hrs from first contractions to baby being born so I am looking forward to having baby at home and laboring here.
    For my second baby I called the hospital to let them know I was coming and when I arrived i was told to take a number and wait in line for registration. I was obviously in very active labor and my number was 52 and they were only on 46. I got in and I was 8 cm dilated. Looking forward to not going through that again.

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• @sabriel1 that is awful!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that.  They treat women like cattle in the hospital.  I hate it.  I'm a STM and planning on a home birth this time around. I don't know if any of you saw my intro post, but with my first, I labored at home until I was about 7cm.  The drive to the hospital was the worst part of my labor. Once I got to the hospital, I had my son 2 hrs later.  From start to finish I was in labor 11 hrs total.  And for some reason, it seemed to go by really fast!  I had an unmedicated birth, so I have no doubt that I can get through it again.  I am really excited to just be in the comfort of my own home this time, especially for my son to get to be involved (he will be 2 at the time of birth). Are y'all planning on renting a tub?  We have a garden soaker tub in our master, and I'm wondering if that will suffice? I don't know if it's too deep though.  I've never imagined myself having a water birth...so I'm not sure if renting a tub is high on my needs list.  We are meeting with our midwife next week...so excited!
  • soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited July 2017
    @mamajenna_cnm - My midwife with #4 used the Aqua Doula. I never got the chance to use it. We induced labor, and spent many hours waiting for it to start, and when it did, it was too late to get in the tub. He was born pretty abruptly on my unprotected bed. So I missed out on the water birth that time. We weren't planning a water birth with #3. I just figured I'd hangout in the shower where it's relaxing and then make my way to my birthing "nest."

With #5, my midwife used livestock water troughs for birth tubs, which was actually great. Very sturdy and just enough space to get comfortable. My labor was induced with her after my membranes started leaking 17 hours before with no labor in sight. I never seemed to get into "real" active labor. Whatever I was feeling made me think it was just BH because they were irregular and mild. It felt exactly like my prodromal labor the week before. We actually weren't convinced I'd get to use the birth tub due to the time it takes to prep, fill and heat. My husband encouraged us to just prep it anyway "just in case" it turned into labor, and he advised me to text my midwife, which I was reluctant to do at the time. (I asked her multiple times when I should call due to not realizing it's labor until way late).

I had been 5 cm and 80% for a week (typical for me), and wasn't checked before getting in the tub. I got in when I was still feeling fine. I figured if it didn't turn into labor then at least it would be a relaxing soak. I felt a ton of pelvic floor pressure, but very little in the way of contractions. It was very relaxing and relieved all the pressure since she was at 0 station. I relaxed in the tub for 35 minutes before my midwife asked to check me, and I just knew she'd say I was still 5 cm. Somehow I got to 8 cm and +2 with barely noticeable contractions and the only thing holding her back a cervical lip (again). I got into position (lithotomy) while she adjusted the lip and she slid out. 

I didn't spend a lot of time in the tub, but it was very relaxing and soothing. I had essential oils in a diffuser nearby.

• @soulcupcake AWESOME stories!! I'm totally using you as inspiration!
  • We have a jet tub that fits two people here so we won't need to rent a tub. I do plan on the water thing but we'll see how it goes if I change my mind part way through. I sure hope not because I have moving around too much during labor. 

I'm feeling pretty confident. With very quick, no complication labors in the past and the last three births being unmedicated and intervention free u keep telling myself "I've got this"

• @soulcupcake that is awesome! I can't wait! 
  • RSainiRSaini member
    @barrelocarol yeah with no epidural or medical interventions - that was my goal. I hope you have a speedy labor and delivery this time around :) 3 days is WAY too long - i would've given in to the meds by then LOL 
  • My daughter(10)was with a midwife in the hospital and my son(6) was at home. Although both were awesome and healthy labors, I loved the home birth so much. I got to go right to my own bed, toilet and clothes. I was able to eat and drink whatever the heck I wanted during labor and no strangers or machines all over the place. I have total trust in my midwife and can't wait for this next time around! Highly recommend it
  • Also, I did use a tub for birthing my son. I don't want to use one again. It didn't do much for me and the fuss over the water temp and the filling process was annoying. I wanted all the attention! LOL I'm a labor diva!
  • @jillkain84 I have heard that the tub process can be a little distracting, which is why I'm wondering if just using my soaker tub might suffice.  I guess I can talk more about it with the midwife.  I'm loving hearing all of your stories! 
  • AnnellyssAnnellyss member
    edited July 2017
    @itsrandiyo Couldn't agree more!
  • @perrysaurus it's like a dream come true  <3
  • farmrosefarmrose member
    edited July 2017
    I'm planning my second home birth and third water birth this time around. I'm looking forward to being able to recover in my own bed again. Also, all those asking about if a tub is really necessary vs your large bath tub--personally I'd highly recommend the big tub. Yes they are large and kinda a pain to fill, etc but A) they are cushioned on the bottom, B) you have so much more room to move around/change positions, and C) your birth team can access you from all sides. I really couldn't imagine birthing in a regular tub or even a deep/large garden tub unless it's one of those really big ones. I'm one who moves around a lot in labor so the space in the big tub was great for me. Obviously the free advice it's worth what you paid for it :)- just some points to consider.
  • @farmrose thanks for the advice, that really helps a lot!
  • mamajenna_cnmmamajenna_cnm member
    edited July 2017
    So I just told the OBGYNs that I work with that I'm planning on a home birth since everyone has been hounding me about who I'm gonna use for prenatal care....they almost had a heart attack.  They begged me not to.  I just wish people wouldn't  be so judgemental of women who choose home birth.  It's not like I'm incapable of making a safe rational decision for my personal needs and birth preference.  I would prefer and congratulations and good luck.  
  • @mamajenna_cnm - I'm sorry they gave you a hard time. That sucks. Do you live in an area where it's frowned upon?

• @mamajenna_cnm, I'm guessing cnm in your screen name is certified nurse midwife? I'm an RN, I had already stopped working when I had my first home birth, but I was working when I was pregnant with my first and planning a hospital water birth. Everyone had an opinion...unfortunately they weren't usually supportive. I get really irritated with people who just don't understand that birth is more than just having a baby. It's an experience, a pretty important one and I feel like a mother should be supported in whatever "experience" she wants to have. Obviously, there are instances when things change and plans don't go as planned, but a mother should still feel like her voice was heard and her wishes respected. She shouldn't feel coerced or bullied, especially by medical professionals. Alright...I'll step off my soapbox now...
  • Sorry to post and disappear! My EDD was updated to March so I've been there. 

Your responses are amazing! I could have written some of these, especially the ones about lack of support from the medical community. 

So where did you find your support? I know almost no one who has gone or will go this route and almost zero of my non-pregnancy related medical team knows this is my plan. 

Also, thank you @farmrose for the tub advice bc I was debating. The cushioned bottom is all I needed to hear!
  • @soulcupcake midwives in general tend to be taboo here in San Antonio.  It's getting better amongst the medical community, but there's that underlying belief that all home births or midwife attended births end up badly.  It's super annoying considering that the statistics show lower maternal and fetal outcomes in hospitals than in out of hospital births attended by midwives (eye roll).

@farmrose yes I am a certified nurse midwife.  The obgyns I work with are pro midwife and really support the work I do, however, as mentioned above, are not supporters of out of hospital birth.  Fortunately my wife and family fully support my decision which is what matters.  But I'm not looking forward to the snarky, sarcastic comments from my coworkers for the rest of my pregnancy.

@barrelocarol I think you really have to just find support through your SO and family.  It's really hard to find a medical community that really supports homebirth.  Also threads like this are fantastic!! 
  • @barrelocarol, it's hard. You kinda have to be your own cheerleader. Also, your midwife and SO hopefully are great support too. I really enjoyed reading Ina May (I've read it during each pregnancy) she really has an empowering way of writing.
  • I agree @farmrose ina may gaskin is my idol...I love everything about her practice and teachings.  She is a great reference for anyone looking for birth empowerment!