November 2017 Moms

Breast pump recommendations?

Hi guys, 
I did a search for this topic and didn't see anything but I could be wrong, so please forgive me if that's the case!
I'm wondering if anyone has any strong feelings regarding breast pumps. 
With my first baby I used the Medala Pump In Style and I wasn't really happy with my experience. I ended up abandoning pumping after 6 weeks. It's a long story, but my baby was born with a cleft palate and therefore couldn't breastfeed, so I was exclusively pumping. I experienced something called D-MER, which I guess is fairly rare but manifests in a feeling of dead while pumping. I also didn't end up producing more than a few ounces at a time despite sticking with it every two hours the entire 6 weeks.
I know there could be lots of reasons for these issues, but I thought that since my insurance covers a new breast pump, I might as well try something new. I've been looking at the Spectra which is said to be gentler on your nipples than the Medala. Anyone have any recommendations? TIA!! ♥️

Re: Breast pump recommendations?

• av2323av2323 member
    I love my spectra!  I got the medala pisa through my insurance, hated it, and bought the spectra off Amazon.  It was quieter and easier on my nipples.  I can't remember the exact one I have but I know mine is not the rechargeable one.
  • Try the hospital grade pumps. They are supposed to be much more powerful and the hospital usually lets you rent it. I don't know names but you can ask your OB what the hospital provides where you will be delivering. At least that's what I am going to
    do this time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I did see e Spectra has a Hospital grade version! I think that might be my answer
  • car1acar1a member
    I'm a FTM but based on reviews only I'm going to go with the spectra s2 model that my insurance provides. A lot of Amazon reviewers compared it to their medala and say that the spectra is gentler and tends to produce more oz. 
    ~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~
  • That's good to know guys. I didn't have problems with my Pump in Style but I have been thinking of trying something new this time if it's insurance covered. 
  • I had the spectra c last time and absolutely loved it! My insurance covered the entire cost as well! I'll be getting the same one again this time. (My old one still works perfectly even after a year of use, pumping every day at work... I just want to take advantage of the insurance and get another for backup)
  • I also want to try the Spectra. I have a single medela with my first 2 and I never had much luck pumping. I have to change insurance 5 weeks before I deliver (leaving my job) so I'm hoping I can get the pump now!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @tashandma I am doing the same thing. I have new insurance with this pregnancy. I just called them and found out they cover 100% of the cost of a breast pump. I can choose any pump that an in-network medical supply company carries. I have a Medela and don't really like it so I'm looking for a better brand. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • After looking at the Spectra, there are different ones. S1, S2 and S9. What is the difference? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • car1acar1a member
    After looking at the Spectra, there are different ones. S1, S2 and S9. What is the difference? 
    Just from memory without looking again (so I might not be capturing the full details but the main differences here): The S1 and S2 are similar but the S1 has both an a/c adapter and a rechargeable battery - the S2 only plugs into the wall so you're more "stuck by the outlet". So if your insurance covers both of these, S1 might win (and is pricier on the market). The S9 also gets great reviews but is the portable model and doesn't sound like it has adjustable pump settings, this one also works off rechargeable battery or a/c. The S9 is not meant for exclusive pumping but only for once in awhile - so it sounds like it just wouldn't last as long if you were using it a ton (but the S1 and S2 would). It says it's for "personal use" whereas the other two are hospital grade, which I don't fully understand since all three have the same suction power.

My insurance doesn't cover S1 but it does S2 and S9, so I'm thinking that I'll go with the S2 and if it seems helpful later on to have a portable model I might purchase the S9 off amazon (it's about $140). But even the bigger ones are like 4lb so doesn't seem horrible to transport (though perhaps annoying).
    ~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~
  • @cwalker042 I had/have the s2 hospital strength. The main difference is that it has a little more power and isn't portable. I never needed portability (battery operated option) as I always just plugged it in to the outlet in the pumping room at work when I used it. It also had a bunch of flow settings which I actually used to get the most milk. I never even knew that was a thing but it was for me. I had a routine and changed the flow settings during each pump session to maximize production during each sitting. 
  • Unpopular opinion but I loved my medala freestyle
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• UO here too-- loved my Medela PIS advanced 
  • Hmmmm ... last time I could only choose between two different Medela pumps so that is the only pump I know. Will my Medela bottles attach to the Spectra pump or do I need special Spectra bottles? It looks like the S2 would be the best out of them all since it's hospital grade and I don't need portable. My company has a room designated for breastfeeding moms. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a Lansinoh with my older 2. It worked OK but I have nothing to compare it to. I was the bkfirst good trying to get the Medela through insurance but after reading this looks like Spectra may be better
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD- 9
    DS-6
    c/p- April 2016
    missed m/c- 6w5d; discovered 8w2d- September 2016

• Hopefully this is in the right place.
    In order to get the pump through insurance, do I just need to call them, or do I need to have my doctor write a prescription or something?
  • I think all insurance companies handle it differently. My insurance made me wait until I had the baby and they could diagnose me a "lactating mom" but I received the pump while still in the hospital. Most hospitals have them in stock but you can also go through a medical supply store like others mentioned.

i also liked my Medela Pump In Style.  I used for 12 months and kept up with my use. I might try a Soectra this time just because the reviews are so good.
  • I have always used Medela. Same PIS with 1 and 2 and then a new PISA with #3 which I exclusively pumped for 1 year. I did not have issues, but I have been hearing awesome things about spectra. Of course, I hope to not need it as much as when I was exclusively pumping. But I want to hear what you all want to say. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • tashandmatashandma member
    edited June 2017
    @hillaryo14 I have anthem and all I did was go to edgepark.com (or any other medical supply company) and order directly from that site. It asked for my insurance info but they did al the foot work for me. They even called my ob to get the pregnancy verification. I had my pump in only like 7 days from the day I picked it out. I was only like 6 months preg when I ordered it too. Hope that helps!

@cwalker042 I never tried the Medela bottles but my mum bottles actually fit with my spectra pump. I never actually used them to pump in because I just used storage bags but I did try it once in a pinch and they fit perfect!
  • @tashandma Thank you! I will definitely look into that!
  • @hillaryo14 call your insurance company and ask what your benefits are for a breastpump. They will explain exactly what is covered and where you need to go to get the pump. Each insurance is different. For instance, my previous plan would only cover 2 different pumps and only covered up to a maximum of $120.00. My current insurance covers my pump 100%. I must go through a medical supply company. He gave me the names and numbers of a few medical supply companies that they contract with. I will just need to get a prescription from my OB to submit to the medical supply company but they will explain the process to you. I can also get my pump at any time. I do not have to wait until the baby is born. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cwalker042 Thank you, I will call them!
  • I think our insurance only covers Medela pumps so I want to pick up the Medela Swing since it's easily available and portable or the Harmony. Either way I go it's only to express enough for a few hours (since I only work part time) so I don't feel like I personally will need a more powerful pump or a double pump. 
    25 - FTM - BF Mom - Using CDs - Blogger and Soap Merchant
    Married for two years to my Honeybear and expecting a little Honeybee on our homestead in Belgium.  <3

Pregnancy Ticker