February 2018 Moms
Options

Maternity/Birth photos

Are you planning on or wanting to do maternity and/or birth photos? Have you looked into photographers in your area?

What are questions you want to make sure to ask your photographer?

Re: Maternity/Birth photos

• Options
    I think we will most likely do maternity photos. I thought about birth photos but I think I'll just get my sister to take some and we'll do newborn photos once we're home.
    Im excited about maternity photos with my DD in them.
    DD - 4.15.16
  • Options
    I've been struggling with this. This is my DH's first bio child but DS calls him daddy. I didn't get a lot of things done with my first pregnancy and I just don't want DS to wonder why I didn't do things for him and did them for this baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't do any maternity photos at all with my first. Not professionally or taken of myself. I probably will not have them done again, but I would love to have a lot more pictures of the birthing process this time. I have just a few that my sister snapped on her phone right after she was out. They aren't very good pictures, but I still cherish them.
  • Options
    With DD we did newborn photos but not maternity. I wish I had some nice photos of me pregnant with her. I might do it this time around, but I'll definitely be doing newborn photos again. The mom of two of my former students is a photographer and she did them for us. Definitely something I cherish! 

She made sure to tell me she was up to date on all vaccines. I never would have thought to ask, so I appreciated that info and it might be something to ask potential photographers. Other than that I'd like to see some of their work! 
  • Options
    We did maternity photos with one photographer friend and newborn photos with another. I couldn't pick one friend over the other! With maternity we did some more dramatic fantasy ones and then some "regular" ones. This time around I'm thinking a casual family shoot somewhere or even in our home (since we'll be in our new house by then) with candids would be good. I'll do newborn again for sure. I have my sons newborn photos all over his room and we look at them every day with him pointing at each and saying "baby" <3 I've thought about birth photography as there is a local photographer who does amazing work, but as with my last labour, I'm just not sure how I would feel about having someone taking pictures of me while I'm labouring and/or looking at myself in that position later. I felt pretty traumatized for a while after and I hated the one photo I had. However when I look at her photos of other births I find them so beautiful and empowering! Maybe I'll work up the courage next time...
  • Options
    I won't be doing maternity photos minus our Christmas card photo. I will probably do newborn photos. We will see how it goes when the time comes. 
    SAHM to 3 kids- DD 8, DS 3, DS 1. Expecting one more!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'd love to splurge on a birth photographer!
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Options
    soulcupcakesoulcupcake member
    edited June 2017
    I've never done maternity photos. They're not really my thing. But I considered hiring a birth photographer the last two times. We were uncertain due to the timing and my history of having extremely fast births. I doubt we'll do it this time. I just want to make sure we get decent pictures since things were so hectic after my youngest was born.
    G 12.04 | E 11.06 | D 11.08  | H 12.09 | R 11.14 | Expecting #6 2.16.18.

• Options
    I found someone through a FB ad that does a maternity plus "fresh 48" package for $650. Is that high? It feels like a lot of money but I've done some superficial digging and everything seems expensive. I love photos and if I don't go that route is love to do them myself but fear I won't be able too bc they'll either be of me or I'll be so exhausted from labor. 
  • Options
    @SunflowerMama428  I think if you incorporated some family shots into the mix it might help your son feel included.

I didn't get maternity pics with my DS, but I am thinking about getting them done this time as I'm planning on this being my last pregnancy.  I'm not big on shots of just me gazing lovingly at my giant bump, but I want to get pictures with DS and DH.  (I also haven't had any professional pics taken since DS a week old and he's 2 now.)

I'm not planning on any birth pics, but will do newborn shots at about a week old.  Last time they were more portrait style and I really want to do a lifestyle session this time.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • Options
    mblomq2 said:
    I found someone through a FB ad that does a maternity plus "fresh 48" package for $650. Is that high? It feels like a lot of money but I've done some superficial digging and everything seems expensive. I love photos and if I don't go that route is love to do them myself but fear I won't be able too bc they'll either be of me or I'll be so exhausted from labor. 
    We just had family photos done a ton the lake with my entire in law family   That photographer does maternity, birth, and newborn photos for $750. 
  • Options
    I'm still really bitter about my DD2's time in the hospital. No one came to visit her (in laws told my husband the day she was born I said I didn't want anyone there which wasn't true). We have no family photos of us in the hospital. In fact, our first family photo was when DD2 was five months old. I want to prevent that from happening this time around. 
  • Options
    My sister's best friend is a photographer who has taken all of my son's photos since he was a few months old. I will be talking to her to get information on possible birth photography and definitely newborn photos. We will probably skip official maternity pictures and just get our normal Christmas family photos done when I'm 7 months.
    Married 6/2013, TTC 9/2013.
    ***TW***
    MC 12/2013, Blighted Ovum 04/2014, CP 06/2014
    Began RPL testing 07/2014
    BFP #4 10/26/2014; Theo born 07/2015
    BFP #5 06/17/2017, EDD 02/28/18

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't do maternity photos with either pregnancy and probably won't with this one, either. It just doesn't interest me. 

With DD1 we did a package that included newborn, 6m and 12m pictures. 

With DD2 we did the same package, but planned on adding birth photog. I ended up going two weeks late, my photog was on vacation and her sub didn't make it to the hospital in time. My photog ended up coming the day after the birth- like minutes after returning from vacation- and doing pictures, free of charge. Those turned out to be some of my favorite pictures ever. I hope to do the same this time. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    clc515clc515 member
    I definitely don't plan to do maternity pics. I'm not one of those glowing pregnant women, lol... 

One of our local hospitals has a photographer wandering around taking pics, and will need to see if the facility I'll be at will have one. I have a feeling DH and family will take a gajillion pics with their cell phones anyways lol. Not the same quality probably, but plenty documented! Plus DH dabbles in photography so there'll be at least a couple good ones hehe. 
  • Options
    What week/month is recommend for maternity photos? Wouldn't want to be too big OR too small.
  • Options
    I think it is between 32 and 36 weeks maybe

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I did maternity photos with my son for free because a girl I worked with was a new photographer and was building her portfolio. I'm not sure if we will do them or wait until baby is here. We are on a strict budget and I think I'd rather splurge for newborn/family photos than maternity photos.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    madie008madie008 member
    edited June 2017
    I honestly am not really into maternity photos, or birth photos. I think it is because I could never see my self putting them up on the wall, so why get them? Idk. Will probably do a mini family session around Christmas time to get a photo for Christmas cards, but I don't want the focus on my belly lol. 
    With DS we did a lifestyle shoot when he was a newborn, so I'm debating between doing that again or a fresh 48. Depends on if we decide to stay at the hospital after birth or not I guess. 
  • Options
    mblomq2 said:
    Totally depends on your area too. That sounds very reasonable to me! Especially because with a fresh 48 the photographer is basically on call rather then setting an appointment. 
  • Options
    RSainiRSaini member
    I never got to do a maternity or newborn photoshoot with my first but I would like to do one this time around. I just haven't decided which one (or both?) I would like to do. 
  • Options
    @mblomq2, for my area (which is generally a low cost of living area) that's pretty on par for an experienced photographer. When it comes to photography you generally get what you pay for.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Newborn photos for sure! We did them with DD when she was 10 days old. We ordered wall gallery canvases of her and one of our family. They are my favorite thing in our house. We will do the same for the new baby.

We will use the same photographer who we adore. I mentioned to DH also inviting the grandparents to this one to have a few pics with both kids. I know they will treasure them too.

• Options
    MEA016MEA016 member
    I didn't get maternity pictures with my first. I took some pretty regularly of myself when I noticed a change in the bump size. I don't plan on getting them again. However, I was really considering a birth photographer with this baby!! I only have pictures of my son when he was first born and that was it. I would love to have the memories of my labor and be able to look back at the day and actually remember most of it!! They're just so expensive I doubt we will do it :neutral:
  • Options
    Ohh yes! I recently started new born photography and it's so much fun. But I saw on Facebook a video post from a birthing photography/videographer. Omg it was so beautiful!! I'm definatly going to pay for one this time round. Only bcos this is possibly my last :)
  • Options
    I think maternity photos can be really special for a FTM, just BC it's the first time you're experiencing pregnancy and your belly.  I was in love with my body with my first pregnancy, so I did maternity photos and I definitely don't regret spending the money.  They are still some of my most favorite photos of myself.  With this pregnancy I'm actually planning on doing a belly casting instead.  I wanted to do something different, since I already have photos of my belly with the first.  Plus, based on the way I look now, I imagine my belly will be much fuller, so I imagine a belly cast will be pretty amazing!  P.s. For those of you asking, I took my maternity photos at 32 weeks.  I felt like my belly was just big enough, and I wasn't uncomfortable yet, so I was able to get in different poses/positions.
  • Options
    @mamajenna_cnm I always wondered, what do people do with these belly casts after they are made. How do you plan to display it?

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    We are going to do a family and maternity shoot. I didnt get any of those thi gs with my DS who is 8 so this will be fun for me but also the kids as something to be remembered

• Options
    No maternity planned but we will do another family/newborn session with this one. We did DS's when he was 2 weeks old and they are my favorite pictures. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    As a first time mom, I'm definitely going to do a maternity shoot! i really want to capture how I look with baby. i won't take any professional pics of baby in the hospital. I have a Nikon D3700 and my husband is great with the camera, so I'll probably just have him take nice pics of me and baby in the hospital. I would love to do professional newborn pics and family photos after baby is born
  • Options
    I probably won't do maternity shoot per se, DH is a photographer/cinematographer and has a VERY good camera so I am sure this pregnancy will be well documented. We also have, in the past, shot newborn photos for other people, so I think we will do the same for ourselves. BUT I think I want a birth photographer, I have been looking at various feeds on IG and they are so beautiful and DH will be a little busy then so I may float that idea by him and see. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sabriel1 we will either hang in on a wall or display it on a hall table.  I think it depends on how far it pops out lol. I've seen some that don't seem too big and some that seem really huge.  I guess it will depend on my size! 
  • Options
    With DS, I did a birth+1st year package that included newborn, 3/6/9/12 month milestone sessions. The birth photos came out so well, she was very tasteful and most were b/w. I made an album and truly cherish these and am always willing to show people if they want to see them. I did put stickers over the photo pocket on the more graphic ones just in case an unsuspecting someone happens to pickup the album and thumb thru, but even those ended up very tasteful and I wouldn't even consider graphic. I ended up with I believe around 300 photos.

The milestone sessions were great and included 10-20 digitals. We could choose indoor studio or outdoor sessions and did the newborn and 3 mo. photos in the studio, but I used the 6mo. session for his baptism and then the 9mo. to do holiday photos. Then of course a cake smash in the studio for his 1st birthday. I loved the experience so much we purchased a 2nd year package with only 3 sessions, which again I used to my benefit. We did an outdoor Father's Day shoot, fall photos before DH left on a 6 month work assignment and then bon voyage photos with our best friends' family before moving from socal to Chicago. Christmas cards were always a cinch. So sad not to be able to use the same photog now that we're in Chicago, but I'm starting to do some research for a photographer that has the same packages available.
  • Options
    I did it. I booked the "bump to burps" package. Maternity session in December. 
  • Options
    I had them taken (by DH) at 32 weeks last time. And I'm glad I did them that early, because I started swelling like crazy after that week until I delivered. 

This time, I may get some done again since it's a twin pregnancy. But I'm still on the fence. 
  • Options
    Birth photography I've considered before but I can't imagine I'd be looking at them again so probably not. Maternity shots are a no go here. I am not a fan at all of maternity photos. Most of the ones I've seen are just so cheesy and overdone. Let me stand in a field in a flowy dress looking longingly at my bump... Let's DH and I put our hand on my belly in the shape of a heart, ummm no, just not my thing.

• Options
    ashhsaashhsa member
    I'd strongly recommend birth photography- we just had the nurse take some pictures, and man do I cherish them, the look on my husbands face, the details you don't remember- or realise at the time- before I would have thought I wouldn't like those pictures, like it's was a bit gross maybe? But they are actually so special. 

Not heaps into maternity pictures- but I can understand how others might like to comemorate this time. 
  • Options
    I am not planning to do professional photography but I understand that some people really love that. BTW, I don't think $650 is too high. It might not seem like much time that a photographer is there but there is a lot of time that goes into photos after and running a business is quite an expense. They have to charge what they are worth. You are also paying for their experience, expertise, and the cost of keeping their business running. But obviously check their portfolio to make sure it's good.

I will probably just take pictures on my phone and husband on his. We don't have a camera but so far we haven't missed having one.
  • Options
    @alice0218 I agree with you. What we are paying for our bump to burps package is way under what I would pay this photographer for. I legitimately feel bad about it. She grew up with my husband and offered a discount since she's moving. 
    We have photos from the hospital with DD1. With DD2, DH's family decided to tell him they weren't coming hours after she was born. Shit was said and it was pretty much unnessary drama on their part. Anyway, we have zero photos as a family with DD2 until she was almost 5 months old. I want to avoid not having photos this time around whether or not his family comes.