February 2018 Moms

Any other Hyperemisis Gravidarum moms out there?

This is my 3rd pregnancy and 3rd with HG. I started on Diclegis right after I got my BFP to try to get ahead of it, but I'm on Zofran now. Trying the oral route to see if I can avoid the pump. Any other Feb 18 moms here with HG?

Re: Any other Hyperemisis Gravidarum moms out there?

• No I don't but I can't imagine going through that 3 times, or even worse when having to care for children. Hope it passes soon or it isn't as bad this time around. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • I had it with my first (only) pregnancy starting at 6 weeks. I'm only 5 weeks now so I've got all my fingers and toes crossed, but I'm not too hopeful. I had to get a new Dr since I've recently moved. I did get them to see me right at 6 weeks when they normally wouldn't until 8 weeks. How far along are you now?
  • Loading the player...
  • @the_other_mother I'm 8+4 right now. I was doing okay until about a week ago. Hopefully yours stays faaaar away!
  • I hope so too! I'm supposed to go on vacation at 7 weeks and I really don't want to be spending the whole time in the bathroom.
  • I don't know that I have this but whatever this is is ten times worse than my previous pregnancies. I nearly passed out multiple times yesterday. My damn doctor wouldn't give me meds last week and told me to try b6 and unisom which is clearly not working. My poor kids hated me last week bc I did nothing fun...my oldest so kindly wrote me a note telling me I was poop. I hope this either subsides or they give me zofran bc I can't do this much longer. 
  • I've had it for 2 prior pregnancies and was on Zofran for both. This time they started me on Diclegis and I'm hoping that'll work, but I'm only at 7 weeks so we'll see. I even ordered the stork spray people mentioned and think I'll try teaming that up with the diclegis. 

@K&Elizabeth I'm sorry you're so sick for my 2nd I had to go for fluids while on Zofran and they had said if I came back again I would probably need a PICC line for fluids. I actually tried acupuncture to see if that would help and it must have or I got over that peak nausea period because I never went back for fluids again and was fine with just the Zofran. What is the Pump? Hope yours calms down. 
  • Not HG, but terribly nauseous no vomiting. I knew this was coming as I was sick wth my first. Hoping it only lasts 8 weeks like it did before. It sucks there's no other way to describe it. Being "hungover" for 8 weeks straight, doubled over in agonizing nauseous delirium. Water tastes terrible, in fact everything does. Once something sounds good the moment it touches my lips I instantly regret it. Doc is only giving me Diclegis in 4 day increments at $40 copay a pop- is this normal? I'm pissed and think I am going to go the B6/unisom route for my pocketbooks and sanity's sake. I am taking meclizine as well and trying all the other tricks of the trade. Please God, let this pass quickly! 
  • @snoelle417 - yes the copay for the diclegis was so high for me too. Zofran was so much cheaper from my previous pregnancies. So my MD said I could do the unisom and b6 which is the same as diclegis and the over the counter equivalent.
  • @msunshine123 Yeah, Diclegis was crazy expensive and my insurance didn't cover it. Zofran is definitely cheaper. 

Im working hard to eat every hour and drink as much water as I can. 
  • mpp06mpp06 member
    The diclegis was $177 for me after insurance for a full month, and that's taking 4 pills a day. There is a coupon you can get off their website that helps. Hopefully your Dr will give you the full Rx. I had to do that last pregnancy before insurance approved, but not after that. She did tell me I could take zofran and phenergan if I needed to so maybe you could use less of the diclegis by mixing it up and taking the others with it? Good luck!
  • @K&Elizabeth when I have a hard time getting fluids I also try to take in a little pedilite too so as not to dehydrate. I started the stork spray today too with the meds and I think it's helping. 
  • @msunshine123 don't want to change the subject but weren't you on S16 bmb? Your name looks so familiar 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • @msunshine123 never mind! I just saw your post on another thread 

DD #1 3/26/13
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • @msunshine123 is stork spray the magnesium stuff? I'm willing to try anything haha
  • @K&Elizabeth - yes it is!
  • I'm going to pick up reglan and diclegis and if this doesn't work I'm just gonna have to resort to crying. 
  • The Pink Stork line has been awesome!! they have research on their page about HG and the use of their stuff. Just throwing it out there since it has worked for me. 
  • Well I just saw blood in my vomit and I'm throwing up at least 3 times a day, does that mean I have HG?  I mentioned my nausea to my Dr. and she kind of brushed it off with some "essence of lemon and ginger root" advice.  I have a feeling they don't like to prescribe anything for MS.  

@msunshine123 is the magnesium spray working?

For those of you who had this for previous pregnancies, when did it start to subside for you?
  • edited July 2017
    @Ashoes123 I don't know that they will give you an actual diagnosis of HG unless you are unable to keep down liquids causing you to become dehydrated. As long as you can help something on your stomach and take in fluids you should be ok. However, they should still be able to give you meds for the nausea/vomiting without having HG. You might need to just get a little more pushy. You might try mentioning diclegis to your Dr and see if she is comfortable with that.

ETA normal MS typically subsides around 12-13 weeks. HG lasts much longer. I was on meds last time until 22 weeks.
  • Ashoes123 said:
    Well I just saw blood in my vomit and I'm throwing up at least 3 times a day, does that mean I have HG?  I mentioned my nausea to my Dr. and she kind of brushed it off with some "essence of lemon and ginger root" advice.  I have a feeling they don't like to prescribe anything for MS.  

@msunshine123 is the magnesium spray working?

For those of you who had this for previous pregnancies, when did it start to subside for you?
    An HG diagnosis usually comes after being unable to eat or drink without vomiting for 48 hours. Even with HG, I get the "drink more water and eat ginger" crap from the ER when I go to get fluids. I know they're trying to be helpful, but I've obviously tried all of that stuff. With my first, I was sick up until she came out (I puked all over my poor husband during labor when he was trying to hold a bucket for me). With my second, I was sick until about 24 ish weeks. I'm 10 weeks now with number 3 and still getting sick daily. Hopefully the trend continues and I'm done soon! Good luck to you! As much as it sucks, it doesn't last forever!
  • No HG here thank goodness, but I had bad morning sickness with my first (and it's gearing up with this one) and I just told my OB it was miserable enough to disrupt my work day and she got me on Zofran. I would have missed a lot more work without it. It was a lifesaver first tri and I will ask for it again if it gets bad this time around. I was only puking 2-4 times a day and just generally nauseous the rest of the time and she wrote me a prescription. Just encouragement to keep asking for help!!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Thanks ladies.  This is just so hard, I don't know how we are all doing it. @k&elizabeth I don't know how you could go through this 3 times!

I've gotten the advice to try and constantly eat a few bites and not let my stomach get empty but that doesn't help. I'm going to look into Diclegis.  
  • msunshine123msunshine123 member
    edited July 2017
    I had HG with my 1st up until delivery. With my 2nd I had it up until 20 some weeks. I'm about 9 weeks now and already had to go for fluids at the hospital - fun times. 
    @Ashoes123 I don't really think the pink stork stuff is helping anymore, but it could be because mine has progressed. You can ask your doctor for diclegis or the over the counter equivalent which is vitamin B6 50 mg and unisom. For my 1st and 2nd  I was one zofran but a study came out about potential birth defects with the Zofran so they're holding off on prescribing it and I'm just trying to survive and keep something in. Ginger ale and saltines are my staples. Good luck!
  • I was wondering how this was going for everyone. I am not throwing up, but it's really a close call several times a day, every day.  Diclegis didn't help me and the zofran is helping, but it's still a big struggle.  I'm eating some and drinking some, so I don't think I'm dehydrated.  But I do get a little dizzy occasionally.  Anyone else still having trouble?  Any suggestions?
  • @olitwinturbosnprincess sorry you're still going through this, I feel your pain.  Mine just started to get a little better (14.5 weeks) so hopefully relief is around the corner for you!  I did B6 and Unisom (essentially OTC diclegis) and it just made me sleep for about 20 hours straight.  I tried Magnesium spray, sea bands, and ginger, nothing really worked.  I think the best thing is to take it easy on yourself and take any shortcuts that make your life easier that you can afford right now.  For example, I got groceries delivered and it was a HUGE help. Hopefully you have some supportive people in your life that you can lean on a bit during this time.  It's so tough, I think I got a bit depressed, but the awful feeling WILL lift and you'll feel better soon.  Hang in there mama.  
  • @olitwinturbosnprincess - so sorry you're still sick! This is my 3rd time and first that I ever started feeling better after 12 weeks. I hope you are feeling better soon! During my second pregnancy I tried acupuncture and I thought it helped. 
  • @olitwinturbosnprincess - Also for fluids try Gatorade. I just mixed up the flavors so not so get tired of same flavor all the time. Gingerale and saltines or graham cracker were also basic staples. 
  • Thanks for the support ladies!  I think I will look into acupuncture @msunshine123.  And I'm drinking lemonade which seems to be ok.  I'll probably try some Gatorade.

I do find certain random and really weird things that make the nausea worse.  I have to lie on my right side.  Lying on my left makes me sick.  Here's the strangest one though.  My SO is into natural health and healing and has a baseball cap with minerals sewn in to the inside.  He says it makes him feel more energetic.  (I immediately thought of the movie "Signs" with the foil hats, but I digress.). Put it on, immediately nauseous!  But then this past weekend, we went to a baseball game.  Put on my team cap, instant nausea!  I can't wear hats!  Not a problem, I rarely wear them.  But so strange.
  • @olitwinturbosnprincess - I had started with lemonade too, but then just got sick of having it so much. Prior to this pregnancy I had a lot of alternative manual body work in hopes of a different experience. I found a PT that specialized in myofascial release to have work done and I think that also helped. Since you mentioned your SO is into natural health and healing. Hope you get over this sickness hurdle soon!