Married: June 2011
TTC since Feb 2016
BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Soda is too sweet and Love Actually is the worst movie of all time. 
  • Options
    @kiwi2628 - I think that's a FFFC! But I think that's totally fair. 
    @lurvleybunchococonuts - hmm. 

My UO is that I think earthquakes are way scarier than tornadoes. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 - I guess it's a fear of the unknown because I grew up in tornado alley and you grew up in Cali. The earth shaking? No thanks. How am I supposed to mentally prepare for that?
    @kbamomma33 - I haven't been on Pinterest lately, but whaaaa? No, just no. 
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
  • Options
    @pebbledam: I've only been in a small earthquake but a tornado hit my house (with all of us in it) last year. It was pretty damn frightening. The worst part wasn't the shaking of the house, it's the flying debris that impales itself into walls, doors, windows, etc.

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    I'm with @notthefather on this one @pebbledam. Like yes, earthquakes are scary. Things fall. But that's gravity and I get it. With tornadoes who the fuck knows where that car is gonna end up. In the tree? On your roof? All possibilities. And fuck that.
  • Options
    I gotta go with @pebbledam. Maybe it's cause I'm from the midwest and have had more experience with tornadoes than earthquakes. To me, I know that as long as I am in a basement with a solid foundation in a tornado, I am probably going to be okay. I have no idea where a safezone for an earthquake would be. How safe can a doorframe possibly be?? Plus, tornadoes come with more warning.
  • Options
    pebbledampebbledam member
    edited June 2017
    @notthefather, @JennyColada - I figured it was a UO. They are just part of summer and there's always a bit of a warning. 

What scares me more than earthquakes and tornadoes? WILDFIRES. I don't think I could live in a place that has wildfires regularly. That sort of anxiety would kill me. 
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
  • Options
    notthefathernotthefather member
    edited July 2017
    @pebbledam: What scares me more than earthquakes and tornados - Tsunamis. Now that shit is scary.

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    @pebbledam it's definitely a fear of the unknown. Earthquakes are by and large harmless. Obviously there have been some very devastating ones, but that's probably all you see on tv. I only see super destructive tornados, but I've lived through super harmless earthquakes so obv I'd choose earthquake over tornado. We also did so many earthquake drills in school that it seems like nbd. I remember when DH first experienced a small earthquake at my moms he was like THATS ALL IT IS???? lol we went to napa the next day and even the wineries were like meh, no prob. Downtown napa did get hit harder tho. 
  • Options
    sapphiredayssapphiredays member
    edited June 2017
    Earthquakes scare me because I'm worried my whole city, including my apartment building will disappear into the earth.

My UO is that wine doesn't taste good. I've tried to like it basically for the sole purpose of seeming sophisticated like my friend groups but just can't. I lack sophistication. Especially red wine, tastes like dirt mixed with vinegar.

eta: fixed words. 
  • Options
    @kiki75 - I laughed out loud at your tan lines one. Yes. So much yes. But I also am rocking chaco tan lines atm, sooooo....  :D
    TTC #1 since September 2014
    Diagnoses: RPL, Endometriosis, MFI (count, morph, DNI, DNAS, multiple bilateral subclinical varicoceles), low progesterone
    Check out my Infertility blog 
    Check out my Infertility Instagram

Loss History (TW):
    BFP: 3 May 2015, loss confirmed 4 June 2015
    BFP: 15 August 2015, loss confirmed 23 August 2015
    BFP: 16 November 2015, loss confirmed 22 November 2015
    BFP: 18 July 2016, loss confirmed same day
    BFP: 04 March 2018, loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    BFP: 12 June 2018, TWINS; D&C 06 July 2018
    TTC History (TW):
    3 losses in 2015
    Met with OBGYN in January 2016
    Me: all clear, H: OAT
    November 2016: HSG = All Clear!
    January 2017: H tested again,  High DNA fragmentation and stainability
    February 2017: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    March 2017: Clomid + HCG + IUI + Progesterone = SA/wash: zero count on attempt #1, <1,000 on attempt #2= BFN
    Varicocele Embolization- 5 May 17
    December 2017 SA: Zero improvement after embolization
    January IVF- 25 retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 3 frozen day fives (3AA, 3AA, 3AA), 1 frozen day 6 (5BB), 1 frozen day 7 (3CC)
    Three PGS normal (3AA, 3AA, 5BB), one inconclusive (3AA)
    FET #1: 27 February 2018, 3AA & 5BB, one stuck! BFP 04 March 2018.... Loss confirmed 23 March 2018
    May 2018: SHG/SIS = all clear "beautiful uterus"
    FET #2: 04 June 2018, 3AA PGS normal embryo, 3AA PGS hatching inconclusive embryo. 
    BFP: 12 June 2018, EDD 20 February 2019
    Ultrasound, 25 June 2018: There are two
    Lost Baby A 02 July 2018
    Baby B not growing, D&C 06 July 2018
    Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, chromotubation: 23 July 2018: blocked right tube, heavily inflamed, covered in endo. Removed right tube. Removed more endo from uterus, tubes, ovaries. Endo remains on bladder and bowel. 
    Next Up:
    TTC Naturally, possibly IUIs for remainder of 2018. 
    ER#2 ~Jan 2019

• Options

Growing up in Indiana tornadoes don't scare me anymore. I've only been afraid once, and that was during an F1 that touched down in my town and I watched a power line topple over. Decided to go and hide after that. But usually they issue warnings when there's a funnel cloud and then you have to hide.

• Options
    I'm team tornados are scary AF. I grew up dealing with hurricanes but they are trackable and you get tons of warning. I feel like tornados are so unpredictable. 

My UO is that I hate the beach. A beach side pool? Awesome. The beach itself? Not so much. I just don't like finding sand in my nether regions. 
  • Options
    +1 for tornados are scary as hell. I think ive felt one ridiculously minor earth quack. But if I hear tornado warning, I want to cry. 

And also agree with the fires. They don't happen here. But I can't even imagine. --TW we've had 2 house fires in my family. 1 was tragic. --END TW-- So the thought of some monster fire scares the shit out of me
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor yes! Santorini was perfect because I could be in the pool looking at the ocean, but I didn't have to deal with sand in my snootch. 
  • Options
    kmallskmalls member
    edited June 2017
    @pebbledam: What scares me more than earthquakes and tornados - Tsunamis. Now that shit is scary.
    Girl, yes. Tsunamis are freaking TERRIFYING. What do you even do when a huge tide just rises up and destroys everything in front of you? Nothing. There's nothing you can do! 

Sidenote: I lived in Asia when the '04 tsunami hit. My brother had flown out to spend his college winter break with me, and our parents had gifted us a trip to Koh Phi Phi in southern Thailand for Christmas/New Years. We were due to land the day AFTER the tsunami hit. The resort we had booked was completely destroyed. Like, ceased to exist. It still scares me to the bone to think about how close we came to being there. 
  • Options
    Dumbgurl04Dumbgurl04 member
    edited June 2017
    agree @sapphiredays wine is gross, so many of my friends like drinking it I think it tastes awful.  Just give me beer

Agree with the earthquakes over tornadoes.  Also from Indiana and have been through a few so I feel like you can prepare better where an earthquake it doesn't seem like you have any idea when one will strike. 

Edited cause I just thought of an UO and that's pinterest.  I have seen some of the posts from there but I just don't get the excitement over it.  Plus it seems like overkill 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    lundlund member
    kiwi2628 said:
    I avoid talking to new members until they hit like 4 months of TTC because my heart gets too sad to watch so many people come and go so fast while I am trapped here in IF purgatory #sorrynotsorry

I agree that it hurts my heart, but I also get impatient with newbies until they get typical questions out of the way. I'm just kind of a bitch. 

• Options
    I don't get so many of the popular tv shows... The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones ((too much brutally)), The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, Orange is the New Black... :anguished: I'm over here like, give me HGTV and the Food Network and we are good. 

To weigh in on the natural disasters, wildfires, tsunamis and volcanoes. No thank you. I'll stick to my hurricanes with an occasional side of tornados. Also, I legit experienced my first dust storm in April and that was so scary. I legitimately couldn't see the road. Or the cars. Or the side of the road. And I couldn't stop because if someone didn't see me, they would hit me. Everything in the desert is already brown so a bunch of brown dust blowing around is pretty disorienting. And all the weather alerts came after I'd finally made it home. #thanksnationalweatherservice
  • Options
    @vflux33 The fact that your post explaining why you won't be adding ETA to your posts was edited made me laugh. I completely get not wanting to do the ETA. I edit every single morning when I post before my coffee. 
  • Options
    @vflux33 hahahah it's so weird to me that not everyone grew up with earthquake drills. In CA, a long, unending bell is earthquake, and short bursts is fire. Everyone gets them mixed up, though, so half the time, half the school would end up on the football field, and half would hide under their desks. My mom grew up during the time when they had atomic bomb drills though - "hide under the desk and cover your heads with your hands, kids!" 
  • Options
    @SkilledSailor Yeah I noticed my quotation marks were in the wrong place and edited and figured people may notice that!

@doxiemoxie212 My mom talks about those duck and cover drills too! Yeah I'm way not from here. I didn't love having to initial a map of local fault lines when we signed our lease for this rental. Maybe you can clear some stuff up for me--door frames? triangle of life? stay put? run outside? Whywhywhy does everyone have conflicting instructions re: earthquake preparation/response?
  • Options
    @vflux33 I think the instructions evolved over time, probably partially due to research, and partially due to structures being retrofitted for earthquakes. We were always told to hide under a table, but I think toward the tail end of high school they started to say door frames. The truth is probably that if you're in a huge earthquake, and you're in a building that isn't retrofitted (most are now in CA) you're probably not going to do great if you're near the epicenter of the quake regardless of where you are in that building (under a table or in a door frame). Also, like, if you can get outside, that's probably good, unless there are a lot of trees around or you're in a big city like San Francisco because obviously it's not necessarily safer outside in those cases. Also, sometimes office building walls aren't "real" walls, so the door frames in them aren't necessarily load bearing, yada yada. 

That said, most earthquakes are fine. Like, the 1989 earthquake was devastating for San Francisco, but it didn't cause problems for hardly anything in Marin (for those not from norcal, we're talking a 30 min drive), so location matters a lot, and not necessarily proximity to fault lines (since obv the San Andreas fault line runs through Marin, too). I don't even think my parents hid under anything in the 1989 one. I was a toddler, and my mom said I just giggled and ran around (yay! my parents are so responsible!). Nothing in our house changed, no damage at all to our neighbors, etc. 

Writing this, I guess I really am desensitized to earthquakes. They just do not freak me out. I have a friend from Kansas, and he thinks tornados are NBD, but I just find them so freaking terrifying. It really must be a matter of what we're exposed to regularly as kids.
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 OK that makes sense why the guidelines are so inconsistent. I live in an old and not retrofitted rented farm house. So I guess if it happens here I'll run outside and pray to not get hit by a tree because this house is definitely collapsing. The one I was in was in a newer big apartment building in SF and it just felt like our bed was floating for a few minutes and then we went back to sleep immediately after. But that was only a 3-3.5. I remember when I first moved to SF people who grew up in the Bay Area were all like "yeah whatever if it happens and I'm on the bay bridge I guess I'll just die" and were so casual about it (before they built the new bay bridge). We probably would have felt the Napa one over here in Sonoma but we were traveling at the time and completely missed it. 
  • Options
    Oh also my mom and aunt's houses were totally destroyed in Hurricane Ike so even though you do get warning I am not super blasé about hurricanes. 
  • Options
    @vflux33 yeah, it's just super unlikely to originate where you are, honestly. My mom's house is like...well, if anything were to collapse, it would be her house (it's like an old oldddd cabin), and it is exactly as it was in 1920 lol. She finally is having work done to it and making it more... safe... but seriously, if her house has survived that many earthquakes, yours will too. Don't fret. As DH likes to say to "calm people down" about things, "You're much more likely to get in a devastating car crash." lol
  • Options
    @vflux33 hahahah it's so weird to me that not everyone grew up with earthquake drills. In CA, a long, unending bell is earthquake, and short bursts is fire. Everyone gets them mixed up, though, so half the time, half the school would end up on the football field, and half would hide under their desks. My mom grew up during the time when they had atomic bomb drills though - "hide under the desk and cover your heads with your hands, kids!" 
    Right, because that's super effective when it comes to a nuclear bomb.  :D 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, and wild fires all freak me out. I have anxiety and I decided not to take medication for it while TTC, so even just thinking about natural disasters right now is making my heart race. Where I live, hurricanes are really the only things I have to actually worry about though. A few years ago, one destroyed my grampa's sailboat! They showed his boat on the news, so we found out before he even had a chance to go check on it himself.

My UO is that sriracha skeeves me out. I've never even tried it. And I'm married to a sriracha fanatic.
    Me: 24 DH: 28
    DD 6/9/15
    TTC #2 with PCOS since 10/16

July 2017 Siggy Challenge- Animals Eating Summer Foods

• Options
    @pebbledam Hell yeah they are. I agree 1000%
    And I agree, it's probably related to where you come from. Grew up in tornado alley. Started college as a meteorology major and did go on a storm chase twice. Earthquakes? Just no, no, no. No safe space. No escaping them. No warning. Just no.
    Plus my dad proposed because my mom was in a large tornado and he didn't know if she was alive or not for several days. When he finally got in touch, he proposed. 

UO: I think Vera Bradley bags are ugly AF. 

Me: 35, Hubbie: 33
    Married DH: 2013
    DD: Dec 2015
    BFP 8/14/17 --> Due 4/27/2018

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker