January 2018 Moms
Options

NIPT - Fetal Fraction

I can't find a good answer on this online.

I got my NIPT results back and everything looks good. BUT there was only a 1% fetal DNA fraction, with a note that anything under 4% means:

"Test results from samples with a low fetal fraction may have reduced sensitivity for aneuploidy detection. A negative result from a sample with a
low fetal fraction is a valid result but there is an increased chance of a false-negative when compared to a negative result from a sample with a
higher fetal fraction."

Is this something I should worry about? The nurses at the doc's office didn't think it was a big deal - there was enough DNA there to give the results after all. I did have the test done at just 10w2d and I'm obese so that can lead to the lower fraction. 

Re: NIPT - Fetal Fraction

• Options
    I'm not that familiar with this situation, but I wouldn't be worried about it if I were you. Don't know if that helps. 
  • Options
    @mcrosie, I just did a bunch of self research on this last night, and I think as long as the test isn't considered a "failure", the results are useful even if they're not 100% reliable. That said, your doc's office would probably ask for a redraw if they were concerned? I do think it's worth asking your doctor and not only the nurses about it just in case, but I also wouldn't worry. If you are concerned, I think you can also request a redraw with that 1% number, knowing you were so early in the pregnancy. But I tend to agree with your note that there was enough DNA to give results (and negative ones at that!), and that's a good thing. That said, I'm obviously not a genetic counselor, so I'd probably give my doc a call IF I were you (not saying you need to do that, just saying what I'd do because I am super conservative/anxious about that kind of thing).

One other thing I read that I personally found helpful - sometimes if one brand of NIPT doesn't give you enough fetal fraction, it's worth sending blood to a different lab. Most of them measure DNA differently so if your blood isn't giving one lab a lot of to work with, another lab might be better. I don't know how much truth there was in this comment, but I read it a lot yesterday - may also be worth asking about if you want more info.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd have a conversation with your doctor.

Do you have a history of chromosomal disorders in your family? If not, she might be fine with those results. But if you are in a higher risk pool she may want to re run the test or recommend the NT Scan. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor said nothing to worry about. I'm getting an NT scan next week at the high-risk clinic anyway, so that should catch anything else.
  • Options
    So glad to hear that!