August 2017 Moms

GTKY 6/19 - Vacations

What's your favorite vacation destination?

What's your dream vacation like?

AW pics welcomed!  

Re: GTKY 6/19 - Vacations

• Loading the player...
  • What's your favorite vacation destination?  Growing up, we went to Door County, Wisconsin, every summer. Definitely holds a special place in my heart. Now, my favorite location is Napa and Sonoma Valleys for wine tasting. 
    Generally speaking I just adore Europe. I love Paris. We did Lake Como, Italy for our honeymoon and it was just unbelievably gorgeous. 

What's your dream vacation like? Seconding a PP that I am dying to do one of those over-water huts in Bora Bora, Fiji or the like! I'm also dying to visit Santorini, Greece. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @DeansGirl14 my family still goes to Door every summer, this year I am forgoing the family trip since it is a week away from LO due date!! 

Dream is Australia/New Zealand. And a Safari is on the list too- so really if we win the lottery, dreams can come true! I love sun and beach and relaxing, with a mix of serious adventure so we're always looking for places we can do a little of both.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @tova24 our honeymoon was Belize, we got 2 great days and then it rained and was crazy the next week...the wind was borderline tropical storm levels, worst flooding they had in like 10+ years.

Beautiful, but if the weather is bad, you can't really do much of anything so it was a rough end to our trip. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • I love cruising.  I have been on 8, and I could do it for every vacation.  I love that we get to go to different locations, without having to jump in a car or fly.  I also love that everything is provided for you.  I know its not for everyone, but I always loved our family vacations like that.  

I have said many times that one dream of mine is to do all the disney parks.  But I also want to see the world! I would love to spend extended periods of time just traveling and feeling the culture.  

If I were to chose a relaxation only vacation, it would either be a european or hawiian cruise, that was like 14 or 16 days, and just spend my days either by the pool or on the beach, and then nights eating amazing food.  
    **TW Loss/pregnancy mentioned**
    Married: 7/21/12
    BFP: 5/30/16 and MC on 7/6/16
    BFP: 12/4/16 Due 8/8/17 -- Its a boy! Born 8/14/17
    BFP: 5/19/19 and MC on 5/27/19
    BFP: 6/24/19, MC on 7/24/19
    BFP: 10/24, no heartbeat on 11/27, D&C 12/2
    Officially diagnosed with Secondary infertility and recurrent miscarriage
    IVF started Feb 2020
    retrieval and PGT testing: 18 retrieved, 17 mature, 16 fertilized, 9 to blast, 8 PGT normal.
    Transfer #1: June 14, 2020
    Mommy to a super cute havanesse puppy and baby boy! 
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    What's your favorite vacation destination? I am not much of a traveler, but I do enjoy going away for a long weekend to the Texas Hill Country. Last year, we went to Natural Bridge and explored the caverns and went on a safari ride with DS. It was the perfect trip for a 2 and a half year old.

What's your dream vacation like? I like somewhere that isn't too crowded and isn't too far from our home, at least for now. The thought of going too far (6+ hours) away from home just freaks me out at this point with the little ones. However, I think it's great if people have the confidence to do it, I just don't.
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    We never go to the same place twice so not sure I have a specific favorite but I'd say I love European destinations in general. Also, my family's lake houses (both in the lakes region of NH) are my happy place in the summer if/when I can make it back from the west coast.

DH and I both go too stir crazy sitting on a beach/by a pool. I like a mix of tourist attractions/sight seeing, great food (and hopefully wine), a few opportunities to relax, and some good cultural experiences (museums, walking tours to learn the history of a place, etc.). If there's some adventure-type activities, that's great too (like kayaking, ziplining, hiking).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• tova24tova24 member
    @smallbutmighty77 oh no! You must have gone during/around hurricane season! I'm so sorry. I went right after hurricane season, and you could just see the destruction.  
  • LSP87LSP87 member
    @bumpybump that looks out of this world!!
  • What's your favorite vacation destination? 
    I'm also someone who loves places that offer both relaxation and the opportunity for excursions.  I love the beach, but can only spend so long there.  I'm so fair and don't seem to do well in the strong sun no matter how much lotion I apply and reapply.  I don't know if I have a favorite spot, but I hate the cold and will always pick somewhere warm.

What's your dream vacation like?
    Add me to the list of people who would love to stay in an over the water bungalow in Bora Bora or one of the other islands.  A Safari is also at the top of my vacation bucket list.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't been many places. But my favorite so far would be Nashville. I just love it. Every bit of it, the food the history, the music, the hospitality.

My dream is Alaska. I go completely stir crazy relaxing. So I love to take trips where we see EVERYTHING and do it all. Hiking, shows, food, sports. I always come home exhausted.
  • Favorite Vacation? 
    I've always loved Nashville. Huge country music fan! I really fell in love with Napa on our honeymoon, too. DH and I have already talked about making a trip back for one of our anniversaries.

Dream Vacation? Probably somewhere out of the country. I've done a little traveling out of the country and love seeing other cultures.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Favorite vacation:
    I think our favorite place for a stress free time is Charlottesville, VA. It's not that far of a drive for us, so we can meander through the back roads and enjoy the drive time together. We usually drive a bit through Shenandoah National Park or the Blue Ridge Parkway, hike a few trails, visit the wineries, eat all the food, and walk around UVA. Very chill and lovely area to unwind for a few days.

Dream vacation:
    Two right now and one is more attainable than the other.

I'd like to road trip down the Pacific Coast from Washington through California. I have that FTM naivety that is telling me that maybe we could bring a baby along on that trip next year before he starts walking.

The other is a Safari in Africa. They look amazing! That however might have to wait until the kids are either old enough to come with us or be left with family for that amount of time.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tova24tova24 member
    @belmont1785 when I was 12 my grandparents took my sister and I on an Alaskan cruise. It was absolutely breathtaking! I really would love to go back. 
  • NxyNxy member
    @Mango517 I think you could do that trip with a baby as long as they aren't one of the handful who hate the car. DD would have slept the entire time lol 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Mango517 I someone who lives near the Pacific coast, I highly recommend it. I grew up on cold beach trips in Washington and Oregon, but it's still beautiful.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @belmont1785 @tova24 My husband is all about an Alaskan vacation/cruise. I would love to see the sights, especially the northern lights, but I am not a fan of cold weather. I guess I'll suck it up for him. ;) It's definitely on our list of things to do once our kids are older, but Hawaii comes first!    

@tova24 What locations did your cruise stop at? 
  • @Nxy That gives me hope that I might be able to pull off the trip next spring for our Anniversary!

@SpotConlon The Pacific coast looks amazing and so different than beaches I grew up with in New Jersey.

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 The PCH is beautiful! I've only driven a portion, but it was gorgeous. 
  • tova24tova24 member
    @PinkPrincessPiper we stopped in Anchorage, Juno, Sitka, and Ketchikan. It was gorgeous. We went around June and the weather wasn't too cold! I recommend it!
  • Favorite Vacation: my honeymoon to Hawaii.  We spent a week in Maui and a week in Kauai, and it was the perfect mix of fun excursions and relaxing at the beach/pool.  I can't wait until the kids are older so we can take them with us!

Dream Vacation: I have 3, lol.  One would be to go backpacking around Europe- specifically France, Spain, Italy, and Greece.   Another is an African Safari,  and the third is an Alaskan cruise.

Pregnancy Ticker

• AbbeyHAbbeyH member
    Favorite: I loved St.Thomas and Rosemary Beach,Fl      But at heart I really prefer the mountains. 

Dream would be the Irish countyside or Napa.