February 2018 Moms
Options

GTKY: How did you tell your SO the news?

2»

Re: GTKY: How did you tell your SO the news?

• Options
    catherinekatecatherinekate member
    edited June 2017
    I literally came out of the bathroom with a positive test and a real life shocked emoji face. My husband asked how this happened, to which I said, welllll.... when a mommy loves a daddy. Ha.
  • Options
    I have been planning this for months! My husband is a firefighter, so I crocheted a little firefighter outfit that I have been hiding from him. I plan to tell him I have a surprise for him, and then put out the outfit with the positive test on top. Unfortunately I have to wait way longer than I like, as he's away for work right now. I got my positive a week and a half ago, and hubby won't be home for 3 more days! This also means I haven't told anyone else, since I think he should be the first to know, and it is killing me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My hubby left extra-early that morning for work to travel to a work site across the state. He was actually going to have to be gone over night. I woke up after he left and took a test on a whim. I guess I just had a "feeling". This was 4 days before my missed period. The faintest of lines came up and I was in shocked. My two DDs were knocking on the bathroom door and wanting to come in and all I could do was just stare at the test strip.

I decided I didn't want to tell my DH over the phone and I just couldn't wait till the next night when he got home. So that afternoon, I packed the girls and myself up, and drove over 2 hours to the town where he was working. I called on the way and nonchalantly asked what his plans were for after his shift that day. I surprised him in the parking lot of a shopping mall with my littlest in a "big sister" shirt and told him I decided to bring the *four* of us down to surprise him. It took him a second, but his eyes got really big and he said, "you're pregnant?!" and starting crying. I got it all on video. Priceless.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    clc515clc515 member
    So I got BFP on May 24, and DH's bday was the 29th. So for like, 3 days I was trying to come up with a fun way to tell him. But I broke down and got into bed while he was watching tv and go, "So I was thinking about waiting until your birthday to do this fun surprise thing, but then I wasn't sure if you'd want to know right away, buuuut....." and then he goes, "You're pregnant?" Me: "Yup!" 

Turns out he would have enjoyed a fun cool reveal, and actually @Starynightsky24 I may steal your idea next time since he's a huge Star Wars fan lol, but it worked out! I needed at least 2 days for the shock to wear off, then I wanted to tell him haha.
  • Options
    @JandJ62914 our profile pictures are basically the same thing! How funny. 

• Options
    Love these stories! So much fun! 
    I tested in the morning and tried to hold it in all day so I could tell him when the baby went to bed but couldn't. 
    Told him I had a special Father's Day gift...was just a card so he was confused but I had written in the card he was such a wonderful father he gets to do it again. He was so happy I'm pretty sure he shed a little tear lol. 
  • Options
    JandJ62914JandJ62914 member
    edited June 2017
    kbelly777 said:
    @JandJ62914 our profile pictures are basically the same thing! How funny. 
    @kbelly777 They are! Love it. When was your wedding?
  • Options
    DH travels for work a lot and he wasn't getting home until later on Father's Day. I really wasn't expecting a positive so on a whim I tested. To my surprise, two lines. I just added it in his Father's Day gift bag :)  his jaw dropped 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    I had been feeling off all week and despite TWO BFNs earlier in the week I decided I would take one more test, sure enough within seconds the second line popped up. I walked out of our room in total and utter shock and my face said it all.  DH didn't believe me at first and was waiting for me to say "just kidding." Needless to say this was a big surprise for us!
    photo 7ce353dd-36ff-42be-84c5-8548c1d4fa1cjpg
    BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10
    BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ DD Born 11/21/14
    BFP#4 6/15/17 ~ EDD 2/20/18
  • Options
    My husband was standing right next to me when I tested. No cute story. 
  • Options
    I took the test while we were getting ready for work. He was downstairs letting the dogs back in the house. I ran down and said "guess what, I took a test because I was so nauseous and look (showing him the test)." He was like"what does it mean?" so I told him "We're pregnant". This was 9 days after our 3rd embroyo transfer and we have had a long journey and I was in utter shock.
  • Options
    My SO was told on father's day. Hes still in shock as i am bc i took a plan b, but God had other plans!! 
  • Options
    Took a test on a whim since I was late, didn't actually expect a positive though at all so I had to wait a couple hours for DH to get home. He is usually stressed when he gets home and likes to unwind before having any meaningful conversations, so I was trying really hard to give him time to settle in but I ended up blurting it out about 5 min into dinner. He was super excited and asked why I let him blab about his day for so long when I knew I was pregnant! Usually he knows when I'm planning to take a test, so I've never done a cute announcement, it would stress me out too much waiting to tell him!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I wasn't expecting a positive this month as we'd been trying for a while and our efforts were minimal this time due to travel.  But I took two testsanyway around 10 dpo since I was unusually tired and one of them showed a slight positive.  So it was more of a "hey, there's a chance we might be pregnant" thing.  And then the next day a "yep, pretty sure I'm pregnant"
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • Options
    My DH has wanted another baby since our son turned 1 year. I've been the voice of reason saying let's wait until next summer. I've only had two cycles anyways since my son (BFing). Well, things got exciting one night in May and he has literally been asking once a week since that night if we are pregnant. I have his ignorance of cycles on my side, so I'm going to surprise him on our upcoming vacation (10 more days!). Our first baby was unexpected and he literally didn't talk to me for 2 days because he was so overwhelmed when we tested. He thought it was negative and got excited. Umm, nope. It was awful. I want this to be memorable for him. He is the romantic one that usually surprises me. This is not my territory and so hard to keep secret from everyone. 

I've ordered a shirt that says, "Be Nice To Me, My Wife Is Pregnant." I haven't worked out how to get it on him yet. I also have a big brother shirt for my son. 
  • Options
    Wow, hats off to you ladies who can keep it from your SO, I can't help but just blurt it out right away

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• Options
    I had a lot of weird symptoms, so DH joked that I might be pregnant (we were trying). I get up before him in the morning. I walked out of the bathroom, test in hand, and tapped him on the shoulder awake with it and told him he was right. It's hard for him to show excitement first thing in the morning, but I can't keep that news to myself.

Married 1/09/10

BFP 6/10/14
    EDD 2/17/15
    DS 2/17/15

BFP 6/12/17
    EDD 2/18/17
    Deja vu??

• Options
    I tested on a whim and didn't tell DH what I was doing. He figured it out pretty quick with all the noise I was making in the bathroom. He came in as the second line appeared and I literally broke down crying.  We thought we were done with kids so it was a huge shock. He hugged me and reassured me everything was going to be okay.  I'm glad he was there bc I don't know what I would have done without him.  
  • Options
    So plans changed. He opened my Fluff mail and found 3 newborn cloth diapers that match my son's.  :D
  • Options
    @essentialpeace Ahhh!!! So he figured out right away? I hope you got to have that special moment this time.  <3
  • Options
    To be honest, it wasn't at all. :'( It took him a moment which was sweet.

Some of the reasons I gave him for wanting to wait immediately got brought up which killed the excitement. I know in my heart he was thinking before speaking and a a little scared and just saying all that I had said a month earlier. Once again, I got upset. The main reason it was upsetting was because I've done really well on an eating plan to manage my weight loss. I had told him I wanted to lose 30 more pounds. )3 He immediately brought that up as if we could hit the rewind/pause button. My weight fills like it will always ruin my special moments in life.  :( I was doing really well on it though. My OB reassured me that a healthy pregnancy is what he expects and to just do what I did last time. I gained very little weight with G. It just sucks to have to eat like I have GD when I don't. Sorry for the book ladies! It means a lot to be able to work through my emotions somewhere. Being overweight and pregnant is tough but doable. 
  • Options
    Aw, thanks for being willing to share this, @essentialpeace!!
  • Options
    Omg haha my partner says what does that mean aswel!! Haha
  • Options
    hr1116hr1116 member
    I was late and my husband looked at me and said "what if you're pregnant" with a smile, even though we weren't trying. So a few days later I took a test and it said positive!! So I called him while he was at my parents house and told him to come home, he was a little worried but he was home in 10 minutes and I took him to the kitchen and just handed him the test haha and we just hugged :) it didn't feel 100% real for the both of us until we got the blood test results from the doctor
    Congratulations to you all!!!
  • Options
    mpp06mpp06 member
    edited July 2017
    I had been having these weird hot flash things so randomly I took a test. I NEVER actually thought I was pregnant, I still can't believe I even took the test. As it started to show the test was working I looked over and immediately see it's positive.
    Edit: bc it never posts the entire post!
    Long story short since I already wrote this out once, I took another and finally when my husband came home I showed him thinking I was crazy, and he read it wrong and thought they were both negative. We are thrilled and can't wait to meet baby! 
  • Options
    babybro218babybro218 member
    edited July 2017
    Like @Megzb510 said, IVF takes a lot of the "magic" away. I went for my test in the AM and we were waiting for the call with results. I got it while I was on my way to pick up DH to go to the airport for a 4 day trip to Ireland. I was planning to stop and get a book on the way, so I picked up a copy of "A Dad's Guide to Pregnancy for Dummies" for him and had it wrapped. He didn't want a book for the trip so I had to plead with him to open it. At first he was upset that I knew for an hour and didn't tell him, but he came around to appreciate the fact that I was able to put some of the surprise back in the process after a long 2 years of disappointing results. BTW, the book is TERRIBLE. I don't recommend it at all, unless you want a good laugh.