Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Anxiety, Stress and Trying to Conceive

So, I have anxiety which is a hard thing to admit. I went off my medication awhile ago with the knowledge my husband and I want to start a family. I have health-related anxiety which makes me super scared about all the terrible complications that can happen during pregnancy. I am worried that the health-related stress and the stress I feel from work (I have an often stressful job) and life in general is going to affect my chances of conceiving. I'm just super nervous...about my health, age (34), etc. Any suggestions or helpful tips?

Re: Anxiety, Stress and Trying to Conceive

• Options
    Hi @LaureliLemons - welcome! This is a bit of a different board setup than you might be used to on other sites or even other boards on The Bump. We try to keep a community setup with minimal one-off threads so the board doesn't get cluttered. Would you mind introing in the newbie thread? Then feel free to jump into the WTO or TWW threads (based on where you are in your cycle). We also have mental health check ins, etc., where a lot of ladies are struggling with very similar things. I think you'll find a lot of support here! 
  • Options
    Hi @LaureliLemons.

Stress can be an issue when TTC (specifically, it often delays ovulation, among other things). I can definitely relate to the fears about stress and age (I'm 34 too). Obviously if you can think of any ways to reduce stress and still maintain the things you want/need in life, that's a good idea. Sometimes talking to other people going through it can be helpful and may put some specific fears you have at ease and/or in context. Do you chart? If you chart you'll get to know how your body works and have a better idea of how stress might be affecting your cycles specifically and it also may reduce stress to do that because the knowledge will be helpful to you and may put your mind at ease. 

There are lots of knowledgable ladies in this community who can help you with that and talk you down from the edge when you need it and offer support. If you lurk here a bit, intro on the newbie thread, and then post in the daily WTO/TWW threads, you'll get to know lots of other people struggling with similar things. So I say, join us! And good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi @LaureliLemons! It sounds like you certainly do have a lot on your mind. Have you been going to any sort of therapy? It may be useful to have someone that you can speak to openly about your fears and worries. Have you been open with your SO about your thoughts as well? That seems like a great place to start.
  • Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? Or did you stop the meds on your own? We have a mental health check-in thread that may offer some insight into how to deal with anxiety while TTC and what meds are safe during pregnancy. I used to take xanax to help me sleep and my doc said it was safe for pregnancy. 
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    pebbledam said:
    snip

@eggplantface - Your doctor said xanax was safe!? It's most definitely a category D drug and my GP and and OB both said to not even use it while I was in the TWW. 

Eta typo
    Yikes I was thinking the same thing... this is why I ALWAYS suggest more then one opinion! Xanax is really only supposed to be used as needed and not long term because it's addictive. Taking it while TTC seems scary to me. 
  • Options
    RE: meds while TTC, my dr doesn't seem too concerned that I take 40mg fluoxetine daily for anxiety while TTC.  Obviously Xanax is a completely different drug than Prozac.  But I never 2nd guessed or even thought about getting a 2nd opinion on it since my GP was like "meh, nbd."  Any thoughts?

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    Hmm... great food for thought, thanks @kmalls!  

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts - In addition to what @kmalls said, Prozac is considered one of the safest SSRIs for pregnancy and BFing. Unfortunately, Prozac didn't work well for me, but my meds are also considered class C. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I agree with the above. Definitely seek out therapy if you're not already there. Talk to a doctor about your concerns and your medication. Also, charting helps me with my anxiety as I can clearly see when I have ovulated, what my body is doing, and feel like I am actively paying attention to my cycles. 

However, with that being said, you're right. Tons of things can go wrong with TTC and PG. Other than being proactive with your health (physically and mentally), working with health care professionals, and giving it a go, there's not much else you can do. Just realize that tons of women have MC and PG complications, and that it's something that can make you stronger. Nothing really that you can do but prepare the best you can for your situation and give it a go.

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• Options
    kmallskmalls member
    @lund - got it. Thanks for the clarification.