November 2017 Moms
Options

Let's talk stretch marks!

abaumeabaume member
edited June 2017 in November 2017 Moms
Hey ladies, I want to share with you what I did to prevent stretch marks the first time around. I was obsessed with doing everything I could to prevent them. Hopefully I am just as successful this time around.

1) Bio oil worked the best for me. This was my fav product because it really helped with the itching and didn't get all over my clothes. I used it twice a day. Right out of the shower and at night before bed. I also, would alternate coconut oil during the middle of the day sometimes.

2) I ate two vitamin E capsules every day. I buy the generic Costco brand. This is suppose to help your skin with the stretching.

3) I did my best to gain weight gradually. I gained on average 1-2 lbs a week after the 15 week mark.

I had great success with this strategy. Although, I did get a few tiny white marks on my thighs and butt which I neglected lubing up as much last time.

*I realize stretch marks are genetic and there is only so much you can do to work with your own genetics.

Re: Let's talk stretch marks!

• Options
    abaumeabaume member
    edited June 2017
    I agree I have them on my butt from being a teenager too. I do believe there are ways to minimize the damage though and was just sharing what worked for me. Also, skin is prone to stretching better as you get older. I am not trying to shame anyone here, just sharing what worked for me. My mom has a lot of stretch marks so I did my best to circumvent my own genetics. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kwaldykwaldy member
    My thighs have stretch marks from puberty, lots of them. To the point that I actually got a tattoo to cover them some. 
    My belly did make it through my first pregnancy unscathed though. To be honest, I didn't really use lotions or anything unless my belly was itchy. I think it just has a lot to do with genetics. 
  • Options
    Agree stretch marks are genetic but I think there is stuff you can do to minimize them and that caring does help. I had zero stretch marks on my stomach with my first and don't expect anything to change with this one but i did get stretch marks on my boobs after I stopped BFing. Strange! I will regardless oil my skin regularly to help improve elasticity and not feel itchy or keep the skin healthy.  I think moisturizing and keeping hydrated during pregnancy is a must but might be different with a summer pregnancy. I'm not sure about the vitamin E during pregnancy. I think if you are already taking prenatals its worthwhile double checking if you need additional stuff. I rather eat healthy. I know Vitamin A is not good in excess during pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I didn't get any stretch marks until AFTER I gave birth to DD2 from everything going back to (semi) normal. I thought I was one of the lucky ones who just don't get stretch marks.  :D
  • Options
    I've got stretch marks on my butt, boobs, hips and thighs already from puberty. I don't mind them, they are super pale so not very noticable. I'm expecting more with this pregnancy, but I guess only time will tell  :) I will still use something to try and minimize them (doesn't hurt to try!) But I won't be bothered if I do get more. 
  • Options
    I've got stretch marks on my butt, boobs, hips and thighs already from puberty. I don't mind them, they are super pale so not very noticable. 

********Stuck********

Me too, but I haven't gotten stretch marks in my first three pregnancies. I think it's kind of strange, really. My belly grew much more and much faster than those areas back then?? 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @MississippiCatfish interesting! Haha I'm so curious now whether I'll get more or not... guess I just have to wait and see. It's good to hear from someone similar :)  
  • Options
    I also got stretch marks on my thighs and boobs during puberty. They're almost invisible now. I didn't get any additional stretch marks with either pregnancy - even though I gained 50 and 60lbs with them. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    kalenpkalenp member
    I got them with both of my previous pregnancies but I don't find them to be very noticeable or bothersome. I probably will again. They are marks that show I carried babies. (Just like the dark circles under my eyes are signs my children still wake up at night sometimes lol)
    DS#1 3/13
    DS#2 3/15
    Baby #3~ 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I did not get any stretch marks from puberty but have TONS from pregnancy. My mom and sister got them as well during pregnancy. I also had a surface piercing above my belly button and the bottom of my belly button pierced so the stretch marks/scars from that now look like an eagle with its wings spread. Pretty epic. Lol! They're there for life now so I may as well learn to love em!
  • Options
    I worry about them impacting my ability to work. Just like unnecessary weight gain . But was never prepared to let work influence my decision to have children . I'm just hoping at this stage. I do have stretch marks from puberty on the backs of my thighs and sides of my hips but I don't tan and you can't see them unless looking for them and they don't show up in photos . 

• Options
    I have more stretch marks than skin on my stomach (belly button to public bone) from pregnancy. Some are half an inch wide. Ive had midwives tell me that in all their years they've never seen the like. Up until recently i was super embarrassed and self conscious about them. 

I also have them on the outside curve of my breasts, my hips, love handles, under my arms and in some form or other from ankles to knicker line. Basically i have terrible skin. But these ones are from puberty and are quite light and faded. You can see them when you look hard.

The old ones never stopped me from enjoying being nude in public  (nude beaches and adult retreats, adult entertainment etc) But my mummy tummy ones made me very embarrassed even in front of my partner. 

My DH and i have only been together a little while but he loves my mummy marks. Not in a sappy cliche way, he really loves them. Simply cause they are proof that ive gone thru a natural and beautiful process of motherhood. This has given me a new appreciation for them. More will come I am sure and they will upset me at first. But I'm not as upset anymore.
  • Options
    av2323av2323 member
    My stomach looked super angry after DS.  My only saving grace with this pregnancy is that they are still fairly prevalent so I shouldn't notice any new ones pop up.  Glass half full right?!?
  • Options
    I'm not even gaining weight yet and I already have new stretch marks on my thighs of all places. Why on earth does that portion of my body need to grow anymore? #pearshapedprobs
  • Options
    @ooodalollly same here! I feel like my thighs are becoming more aggressive than my belly. Doesn't my body know where the baby is located? I had a bit of trouble getting my dress up over my butt this morning, so naturally self-esteem took a hit, ha.

• Options
    That being said my marks from my first are pretty faded and I swear by exfoliating with a coffee scrub during and after pregnancy. 
  • Options
    Don't go crazy buying creams and stuff...I used every anti stretch mark product and home remedy with my first baby and still got stretch marks. The good news is they faded really well. When I got pregnant again (Sawyer was 19/20 months old) I could hardly see them anymore. I talked to my dr about it and he said it's completely genetic, not much you can do about it. But they do fade so don't freak out too much! 
  • Options
    My mom has some serious tiger stripes still so I feel like some level of taking care of your skin is still important. 
  • Options
    I probably wouldn't have bought the belly butter for myself but I loved getting it as a gift. Regardless of what will happen with my stretch marks, my belly skin is super itchy so it's nice to have for that. I would totally get it for other moms!

• Options
    I have a few stretch marks on my boobs, really light though from when I went through a heavier stage. I also have some on my thighs but those appeared after my hip surgery a few years ago and apparently it's from the position my legs where in during surgery (so weird). My Mom never got any with pregnancy, but she was A LOT younger than me when she had me. I am just using lotion, nothing special and what will be will be.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I have considered getting belly butter b/c my belly and breasts are super itchy!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'll say the most useful part of most of the lotions and stuff is that it helps calm the itching. The itching drives me crazy. 
  • Options
    semi related are any of you concerned or concentrating on tear prevention too- 
    I'm using natural butters that are vitamin packed along with oils such as rose hip (safe Vit A) to improve or maintain elasticity in the area to try and reduce severity - of cause this is an all over any stretch anti dry/itch cause too - i figure worse case it doesn't help but my skin is healthy hydrated and in its best condition , and best case the conditioning will help with skin recovery , and damage  reduction

i usually stay moisturised anyway but nearly 1/2 way I'm starting to increase my diligence with daily massage/moisturising 

if you blend your own butters a few ingredients are super helpful for instant relief on the itch front- reship oil (decide for yourself how you feel about Vitamin A in a natural source - advised to avoid synthetic retinoids) and camellia oil - absorb quickly and have great skin healing and scar treatment properties camellia oils ability to hydrate and its fast absorption to skin (and hair) can help with dry skin without being too heavy 
    and Lavender EO is anti-inflammatory and calming and safe to use in pregnancy (add to butter or apply with carrier oil - this is my mozzie bite itch go to when i have allergic reaction and relief can be instant )
    ooo also lavender and oat bath could sooth some of the mental itch especially if it is in more than one spot 

of cause we all know genetics plays the biggest part in weather or not stretch marks will happen but i think its good to keep your skin in top condition, its going to stretch so can't change weather or not it scars but you can defiantly prep it for the job 

• Options
    Advice my mom gave me on stretch marks: "You're going to get them, because I have them and so did your grandmother. Be sure to use a thick lotion twice daily to reduce their appearance during pregnancy and afterwards use a vitamin e oil on them to help them fade. Don't sweat it if they stick around though!"
    25 - FTM - BF Mom - Using CDs - Blogger and Soap Merchant
    Married for two years to my Honeybear and expecting a little Honeybee on our homestead in Belgium.  <3

Pregnancy Ticker