July 2017 Moms
Options

The Worst Pregnancy/Parenting Advice

2»

Re: The Worst Pregnancy/Parenting Advice

• Options
    ^Whoa.  Haha, how did anyone from that decade survive to adulthood?!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mars8kmars8k member

dancegurl1118

Same thing happened with me! he was head of pediatric somehow, never went back to that hospital :)

The ones I got were

“pumping will dry you up”

“don’t hold your newborn unless you’re feeding her”

“you just fed your newborn, give her water maybe she’s just thirsty”

“don’t let the nanny hug your baby” excuse me but I’m out of the house 9 hours a day and my baby needs love and affection, if that means she will form a bond with someone else then so be it!

“she would’ve had more hair if you shaved her head” this was discussed above but I’ll share some cultural background anyway, in my country it’s the norm to shave a baby’s head at 1 week old. Some do it to enhance the quality of the hair (completely disregarding genetics) and other do it because newborn hair falls off anyway so they shave it so the baby would get a full head of hair at once and so baby wouldn’t accidentally swallow fallen hair. (this was a legitimate concern I had because I often found a hair or 2 stuck between her fingers but she was fine.)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been told not to drink ANY plain water after childbirth for like a week or two, and replace it entirely with rose water and milk... that too ONLY warm or room temperature!
  • Options
    So this wasn't told to me but to my sister and she believed it. 

She was told by a "friend" that she needed to eat candy and sweets in order for her breast milk to be sweet for baby. WTF!?! She would literally have candy bars next to her while breastfeeding. She drank sodas and pastries all the time. 

I had to tell her, her friend probably wanted her to get fat because that was a huge lie! She needed to eat healthy for herself and baby. I was like, why would you even believe her?? Her friend got pregnant at 15 and had 1 child. Apparently that made her an expert. My sister is a bit of an airhead and extremely naive. She was also young. 

• Options
    BusyZee said:
    I've been told not to drink ANY plain water after childbirth for like a week or two, and replace it entirely with rose water and milk... that too ONLY warm or room temperature!
    I've been told to only drink warm or room temp water also!
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited June 2017
    @nktrodden826 I'm totally fine with warm water, but no water is sad, and warm rose water? Nooo
  • Options
    @xath that looks like something I would have seen on an episode of madmen. I worked at a fortune 100 company as a market researcher and we had a marketing library that saved old marketing material from the companies conception in the 1800s through present day, it was mind blowing going through the old advertisements, communications and press releases. I nerded my heart out at that library.