July 2017 Moms

High Risk Check In: June

Happy June, mamas!  For anyone who is deemed high-risk or is receiving additional monitoring.

How far along are you?

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring?

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting?

Any questions / rants / raves?

Me: 31 DH: 31
  <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
CP 3/2019

Re: High Risk Check In: June

• Hi ladies! 

Im 34 weeks today. 

High-Risk for pre-eclampsia & kidney stones that have put me into pre-term labor. 

I get weekly NSTs and lab work and see my OB 2x per week. So far I have been to L&D 3x times this week because of fetal decelerations on NST and increased BP despite being on BP medication. A significant amount of protein in my urine was found on my 24 hour urine (428mg) yesterday so I will see what my OB says today. 

I feel like I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop in terms of pre-eclampsia symptoms/lab work. I'm sure many of you other ladies feel the same way!
  • Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? 32+1

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? IUGR 

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? NST, BPP, Dopplers, Growth Scans

Had an appointment with MFM today and a growth scan. Growth scan went really well with her almost caught up on her measurements and weighing over 3lbs. They almost didn't do dopplers this time since her growth was so good and the dopplers were excellent last time. But the doctor came back in and said to go ahead and do them since I'd been getting them done and they showed resistance, so now instead of weekly I have to go twice weekly for monitoring. I'm glad they're being cautious but it's so much time off work and stresses me out! I would feel so much better if we were closer to 34 weeks and ideally 37... :(
  • @SpongeWorthy just got my steroid shots Tuesday/Wednesday and they burned going in but then it was totally fine. I heard some horror stories, but it wasn't awful. Thinking of you! 

@LuLiLaEv I hope your baby continues to grow for at least another 2 weeks! Preferably 5! Thinking of you too! 
  • @acstec1 Thanks for the encouragement!  I've also read some horror stories, so I was a little worried :s I've heard they really help the baby, though.  I'm sorry you are going through so much right now!  But kudos on making it to 34 weeks - that is a huge milestone for development.  Let us know what your OB says today and good luck to you.

@LuLiLaEv Yay for good growth!  I'm right there with you on the monitoring.  I'm glad the doctors are being proactive, but scheduling all of the appointments while trying to work full time is a lot.  And you have even more on your plate with a toddler at home - I can't imagine!  You're doing a great job so far.
    CP 3/2019
  • @kghusker1003 That's great news about your blood pressure and about the baby!  The end is in sight :) How is your c-section recovery going?  That is something that really scares me - the c-section recovery while having a baby in the NICU.
    CP 3/2019
  • @kghusker1003 that is fantastic! Sounds like she is almost one foot out the door already. And how are you doing? I can't imagine having little ones at home and one in the NICU. Make sure you are taking care of yourself as best you can! I'm glad your BP have been good as well. I know sometimes PP the BP can still be wacky. Keep us updated on her progress!
  • @SpongeWorthy i won't lie about my recovery. It's been hard so far. I have a wound vac on my incision, and the drs say it looks great. My pain is worse still, a week after. This is my third c-section and by far the worst. I also had my tubal done, which my dr said adds to the pain and also said my body wasn't physically ready to deliver, so that can increase pain by a little. I'm still having to take my pain pills. I'm still bleeding quite heavily. Still not able to move as much.  

I'm only able to go to the NICU every other day because I can't drive and DH works a lot in summer. But the chairs are hard to get up off of. So I recommend lots of pillows. Lots of water because dehydration makes my tummy hurt worse. 

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • @kghusker1003 Thanks for your honesty and the recommendations.  I'm sorry you are in so much pain :( It is  major surgery, and I think people put unreasonable expectations on themselves to bounce back quickly.  My insurance allows a 96 hour hospital stay for a c-section delivery.  After that, our NICU allows for 24/7 visitation by parents, so I think I'll be able to stay/sleep there and DH can go back to work if he has to.  I'm sure it's a lot harder to manage with two other little ones at home.  You are so strong and your baby will be home soon!  Keep your head up!
    CP 3/2019
  • @acstec1 @SpongeWorthy Thank you! I go back and forth between wanting her here and wanting her to stay in as long as possible! It's so tough feeling like it's day to day.

@kghusker1003 So sorry your recovery isn't going so well! Thinking of you and that sweet baby girl! 
  • @SpongeWorthy I forgot to ask, do you have a milestone or something that they're saying when you get to this point we'll induce/csection or are they just monitoring baby and when/if baby doesn't pass they'll evaluate at that point? 

I think that's the hardest part for me, my OB keeps saying I can't go past 39 weeks so I have a definite end date, but one week I go in and everything looks great and they're saying I'll make it to 39 weeks and the next week something comes up or she doesn't pass a test and they start talking about her coming early. It freaks me out!
  • SpongeWorthySpongeWorthy member
    edited June 2017
    @LuLiLaEv Here are the milestones my doctor is following in regards to cord blood flow:

Restricted flow: max 37 weeks
    Absent flow: max 34 weeks
    Reverse flow: max 32 weeks

Since I've had restricted flow consistently, I probably won't go past 37 weeks.  If I have absent flow at this point, they will likely admit me for monitoring since it can go from absent to reverse very quickly.  If the flow improves while I'm in the hospital, they will probably give me steroid shots and then release me back to the 2x weekly monitoring.  If I show reverse flow at any point from now on, delivery will be imminent.

Growth doesn't seem to be a huge player in all of this right now.  Because of the heart defect, it's obviously better to keep the baby in and let it mature.  So I think as long as they see any growth at all, we will keep going.  The dopplers are much more important to the daily decision of whether to keep going or deliver.

Every appointment they are evaluating whether it's safer to deliver or keep growing, so I definitely feel you on the stress.  I get freaked out before every appointment being like "omg are they going to admit me??"  It sucks to have to be prepared for any scenario going in, but I'm glad they are watching me so closely.  
    CP 3/2019
  • @LuLiLaEv Oh and I forgot to add, I'm pretty much guaranteed a c-section because babies this small generally can't tolerate labor.  I think that's another reason to take him/her early, so that I don't go in to spontaneous labor and have something happen.  It sounds like with your baby's growth that might not be the case and you can go through a normal vaginal delivery.  There are a lot of success stories on the IUGR Facebook group of babies who were 4, 5 lbs and have successful inductions!
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy Thanks for sharing! I'm a huge researcher and I hate being caught off guard, so it seems like every time I go in there's some new thing they're talking about or some complication and I haven't read anything about it so I don't even know what questions to ask when I'm there. They did say if at any point it reversed they would want her out immediately. When I looked up cord flow resistance on the support group it seemed like a lot of people were told a percentage and they didn't say anything about that to me, so that's something I want to ask on Tuesday when I go back. 

Thankfully her growth has been good, I did ask if since she almost caught up she was considered SGA(small for gestational age) rather than IUGR but they said she is still growth restricted, but my delivering doctor was very optimistic about me having a successful induction if she gets over 3lbs so that's been my huge goal and we hit that this week. He's very realistic too that sometimes the inductions take awhile and puts stress on the baby and they may end up taking me in for a c-section so at least he's not sugar coating anything or getting my hopes up about everything going perfectly.
  • Hi ladies! My OB appointment went ok yesterday as my BP is still handing out 140s-150s/90s and since I am on the max dose of BP meds, my doctor is hoping I make it one more week with no significant changes. I'm hoping 2 more weeks! My NST took forever yesterday as baby refused to move with juice or the buzzer or my aggressive poking. Finally after an hours and a half I got decent movement and then the rest of the night, baby was doing flips. I see MFM Monday for a BPP and more labs. Thinking of you ladies! 
  • @acstec1 I hope you can make it another 2 weeks!!  At this point, every day baby is getting stronger.  Good luck on Monday!

My appointment today was more of the same.  Baby passed the BPP with 8/8.  Dopplers still show some blood flow resistance, but it's been stable for the last 4 weeks.  Hoping baby keeps this up and can keep growing until 37 weeks!  I have another BPP on Monday and BPP/growth scan on Friday.
    CP 3/2019
  • @spongeworthy and @astec1 I hope your BPPs went well yesterday and you get some good news from your MFMs and OBs. 

My NSTs are going well...except they've had to resort to buzzing, shaking, poking and making me move around to get her to wake up. But once she's up, she's up.

Unfortunately, my fluid levels are now causing my MFMs some concern. Last week they were 16, on Friday they were 21 and this morning they were 25 - which officially pushed me into "Polyhydramnios"' territory. I'm so thankful that baby appears to be doing okay, but I feel bad that with the GD, the large fibroid and now the amniotic fluids, I'm not being a great "host" for my daughter. 
  • @lanie1000 Thanks for checking in!  The appointment was uneventful, so I guess that's good news at this point?  I'm sorry to hear about your polyhydramnios.  Is it something that they are just monitoring for now or do they have to do some kind of intervention?  I know *exactly* how you feel about not being the best host.  It's like, aren't women's bodies designed to do this exact thing?  Why am I failing so badly?  Just know that you are doing everything under your control to give your girl the best start, and the rest is just something we have to deal with.  Hugs mama <3
    CP 3/2019
  • @lanie1000 hi! Thanks for good thoughts! My BPP was also fairly uneventful except I am in a similar boat as you where they have had to zap and poke and jiggle to get baby to move. This happened at my last NST (took over an hour) and at my BPP. But after the zap, I think baby was super angry because he/she was so aggressive the rest of the afternoon. 

How are you doing with the polyhydramnios? I know that can be super uncomfortable for you as well. 

Completet agree on the host factor. I was not a great host for my DD either, but this one is way worse. Thinking of you both! 

• Thank you ladies. Sometimes it's difficult to remember not to be hard on ourselves! 
  • So happy for baby sponge! @SpongeWorthy

Had another NST today. Baby girl waits until the very last minute to get her accelerations in so it's a long wait and lots of juice but I guess at least she passes...
    Dopplers were the same today so still just riding it out. Next Friday is another growth scan and I'll officially be over 34 weeks which is the MFMs main goal to get me to. My OB (and delivering doctor) is still very optimistic that we'll induce at 39.
  • @LuLiLaEv Glad to hear things are still stable, even if little girl makes you sweat it out at the NSTs  :D Good luck at your growth scan and let us know how it goes!
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy yay baby sponge! Keep growing! I'm so glad you got good weight news and the dopplers are stable. Finally, a good piece of news for you. 

@LuLiLaEv yay for 34 weeks! Such a huge milestone. I am hoping that you can make it to 39 weeks! My baby is the exact same way at NSTs lately with the refusing to move and accelerations.

Thursday I got sent to L&D as my BP was high and sitting higher than it has been. Platelets are getting lower as well, so MFM has had me do BP 4x a day and I have to call my OB with the numbers do determine if they want to induce. They would like to get me to 36 (this Thursday), but Monday, if my BP is still sitting higher and my platelets are lower or liver enzymes are higher, they will induce Monday. Baby is doing very well. Growth scan estimated 5lbs 8oz yesterday. 37 weeks is the absolute maximum they'll let me go, so we'll see!
  • @kghusker1003 so happy for you and your family! Hoping your BP stabilizes soon and you can ween off the medication quickly! How is your recovery going?
  • Sorry I have been AWOL. They have scheduled my delivery for Thursday after a meeting with a high risk doctor. T-2 days till baby is here.

@kghusker1003 hope your recovery and adapting to new baby is going great! 

@SpongeWorthy always thinking of you and baby sponge! Keep growing little one ❤️❤️
  • I guess I'm here now.

How far along are you? 36w3d

Why are you considered high-risk / getting increased monitoring? I was diagnosed with mild preeclampsia a couple weeks ago and was prescribed strict bedrest last week after multiple trips to the hospital for monitoring. The short story is I felt weird at work and went and had monitoring, where my BP was high (150s/80s) but none of my blood work or urine in the hospital was abnormal. The 24 hour urine I did was consistent with mild pre-e. I went to the OB office last week for a BP check and was immediately sent to the hospital for monitoring as my BP was 180/96. Sent home when it came down and there was still just a minor amount of protein in my urine with the strict bedrest. 

Had a check yesterday and it was pretty good. BP was 130/80 and there was no protein in my urine. :)

The goal at first was 37 weeks. The doctors are now fairly certain I can get to 39 weeks if I stick to the strict bedrest. I don't have any other restrictions other than that.

What type of additional testing, monitoring will you be getting? Go to the doctor every 2-3 days for a BP check. More ultrasounds to check baby's growth (since she's also measuring 2 weeks ahead).

Any questions / rants / raves? What can I expect for delivery? Is induction an option with the pre-e or will they go straight to a C-section?
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • I had induction with pre-e, it didn't work with my manly pelvis but as long as you aren't in immediate distress it is entirely an option to be induced with a vaginal delivery if everything else cooperates. 

Bed rest sucks, try to stay sane! 
  • @Dcwtada you and baby will be in my thoughts for sure this week. 

@SpongeWorthy I'm so happy to hear baby is growing and passing the BPPs

@kghusker1003 I'm so glad baby is home and getting all the snuggles in the world. 

@acstec1 You are definitely in my thoughts this week. I hope all is going well. 

@star_beagle and @LuLiLaEv FX you both make it to 39 weeks! 

Baby girl's NSTs are still looking good...when she wants to cooperate...and the medicine is keeping my GD in check. Unfortunately my AFI (fluid levels) are continuing to rise and the MFMs aren't sure why. They'll continue to monitor them. I have my last growth scan on Friday after my NST and I'm hoping to hear once and for all what the large fibroid's position near my cervix means for vaginal delivery versus C-section. Right now I'm looking at a June 29th induction. 
  • @acstec1 How did your Monday appointment go?  I'm thinking about you and hoping for the best!

@Dcwtada AHHH Thursday is tomorrow!  Good luck with everything and let us know how it goes.  I'm sending you all my good vibes!

@star_beagle So sad to see you here.  I'm glad the strict bedrest is working, but that sounds tough.  I hope you can make it to 39 weeks!

@lanie1000 Hoping for good news for you on Friday.  Are the high AFI levels dangerous for the baby?  June 29th will be here before you know it!

AFM, my NST/BPP did not go well yesterday.  Baby sponge had a concerning heart deceleration during the NST and the dopplers showed intermittent absent flow.  I'll be getting my first round of steroids tomorrow and Friday.  I have to be on high alert for any decrease in fetal movement which is driving me crazy.  I'm so paranoid I will miss something and be responsible for the worst case scenario.
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy I get the anxiety over baby movement, even high risk I'll go to an appointment and they will ask me how baby is moving and I can't remember him moving within the last hour or so. He is always moving great at the appointments but it makes me feel terrible. Hang in there, I really feel for you. Glad you are getting the steroids, even as a precaution it is a good thing. Please keep us updated, you and little sponge have been in my thoughts everyday. 

@lanie1000 keep us updated! 
  • @Dcwtada Thinking of you and hoping for a safe delivery for you and baby! 

@lanie1000 how are you doing this week? Hoping your appt went well and that you are able to have an induction with the fibroid. 

@SpongeWorthy how are you doing this week with the movement monitoring? I know that is the worst because you are always second guessing yourself and trying to drink cold and sugary things to make sure baby is moving. Good luck with the steroids. Hopefully they aren't too painful for you. I hope baby sponge is growing as much as she/he can in there. 

@star_beagle welcome! I had this exact situation with my DD, maybe just a little earlier (around 35 weeks). I lasted about 2 weeks and then my BP wasn't coming down and my labs started to look funky and I was induced at 37. She was born heathy and had no issues at all. So even if you don't make it to 39, you are in a good timeframe for baby. But I hope you make it to 39! 

@kghusker1003  how is baby girl doing? How are you doing? And how has the transition home been?

My my appointment Monday was not great. BP was high so I was sent to L&D overnight and had some magnesium. Labs are starting to not look great. Moreno protein in my urine, platelets going down (135 to 105), and I see my OB tonight and we will pick and induction day for early next week as long as my NST and BP look ok. If not, then they will induce tonight. Baby measures almost 6lbs on BPP Monday, so they are comfortable with delivering before 37 weeks. Also on bedrest now but it's pretty hard with an almost 2 year old who never stops moving. Thank God, my mom is off school for the summer (teacher) so she has been staying with us. 

Thinking of all you ladies and your sweet babies! 
  • @acstec1 Oh no!  I'm so sorry that things are looking worse.  Hoping they can get you to next week.  Either way, I hope delivery goes smoothly and you can get on the road to recovery.  You will have an outside baby so soon!

The movement monitoring has been going okay.  I had a scare the other night but baby sponge has picked it up and I'm feeling him/her consistently.  The steroid shot was no problem.  I had heard they can be pretty painful, so I was nervous, but so far it feels like any other shot.
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy thank you! NST went well yesterday, but BP and urine stil was not great. I will be induced Tuesday, unless something comes up between then and now. I still see MFM Monday to ensure baby is doing well and will do well with an induction. Baby will be 36.5 so hoping that baby will do well and his/her lungs are adequately developed. 

So so glad that your steroid shot was ok! That's how it was for me. Maybe we are just so used to being poked and prodded that none of those needles really hurt anymore. Thinking of you!
  • How far along are you?
    37w + 2d 

Previous blood clot in 2013

OB recently switched over my blood thinners. Smaller dosage but injections are 3x a day (boo). NST's are every 4 days plus my weekly appts. 

I'm supposed to stop taking the new RX when I begin contracting, which I've had 3 days in a row. They're consistent contractions that last for 2 hours and are 6-4 min apart and all last a min. It has happened each time in the afternoon, around the same time. Contractions are definitely getting stronger and stop me in my tracks. I haven't had time-able contractions again since Thursday. This false labor is playing with my mind! I always tell myself, "I'll give it another's hour before calling my OB." I feel like the contractions are stronger than before but still not that bad. I have to decide each time whether or not to take the next dose of my blood thinners. In the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe they'll pick up in the middle of the night??? They never really do. It's just slightly stressful trying to figure out if I'm in labor or not, should I go to L&D to get checked out, do I take my next dose, etc....

In all my previous pregnancies I've felt my contractions and they were consistent. My contractions were strong but I was able to manage them. I'd go into L&D and they would tell me I had very strong contractions but I was ok. So.... I can't really trust my body on the strength of my contractions. 
  • How far along are you?
    37 weeks

Type 1 Diabetes and now elevated BP with lots of swelling and mild protein in urine (BW looks good though).

Twice weekly NSTs with OB, weekly BPP and growth scan with MFM, and every other week appts with Endo with email communication on the "off" weeks.

Rant: OB put me on bed rest 2 weeks ago for elevated BP and I'm going crazy. BP has remained stable, which is great, but this kid can get here any time now. She always looks fantastic on the NSTs and ultrasounds (which I'm so grateful for) but man do I feel crappy. Headaches, LOTS of painful contractions, insomnia, intense swelling, and diarrhea (oh the joys of pregnancy!). Oh, and I tested positive for Group B Strep. I know it's not a huge deal but it just adds to the already existing list of stuff. Next appt with the MFM is tomorrow and I'm hoping we'll set an induction date.
    Rave: The nursery is finally done! We don't plan to have her sleep in there right away but it's a relief having that room completed :)
  • @acstec1 Thinking of you this morning, mama!  I hope your appointment with the MFM goes well.  Good luck with the impending induction.  I am rooting for you!

@Poppyseed72017 Ugh that sounds so stressful!  The contractions are a real mindf*ck.  I've noticed that my BH contractions really pick up after eating/drinking too much, so I have to stay on top of my bathroom trips.  I'm sorry you're stuck in a pickle.  I would say that if you have any question about it, it's best to call your doctor at this point, just to be on the safe side.  FX things calm down for you!

@TalesOfASocialIntrovert That is a lot of yuckiness.  Good luck at your appointment today and I hope you get some relief soon!

AFM, my dopplers improved on Friday, so baby sponge gets to cook a little longer :) I'm going to continue getting BPPs on Tuesdays and Fridays.  The plan right now is if anything changes on the BPPs, we will head to the hospital for delivery either that day or the next (depending on how baby is doing).  If the BPPs stay good, we will plan on delivering around 37 weeks!
    CP 3/2019
  • @SpongeWorthy I'm so happy to hear baby sponge is doing well!!! Keep cooking LO!! The longer the better.