Baby Names

Claire vs. Clara

We're having a baby girl in October and our top name choices right now are Claire or Clara, with Noelle as a middle name. Our last name starts with W and is a generic two-syllable name that sounds good with most everything.

Which is better... Claire Noelle or Clara Noelle?

Re: Claire vs. Clara

• atackatack member
    Claire - hands down!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love Clara. Claire is a little boring to me in comparison. I think Clara Noelle sounds lovely.
  • Loading the player...
  • Claire.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • If your last name is common, I'd go with Clara as it's slightly less popular.
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    Clara!  Less popular and much prettier to me. Goes well with Noelle.
  • I really like Clara Noelle. 
  • I prefer Clara. 
  • leighryleighry member
    Love Clara.
  • Clara :-)
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Both are lovely, but I prefer Clara. Like pps said it's less popular and with a common surname I'd go with the less common first name option.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Love Clara in general, and definitely prefer it with your chosen middle name and common last name.
  • MrsCFBMrsCFB member
    Claire!  I don't like the name Clara.
  • I prefer Claire, esp with a 2-syllable ln. 
  • NME44NME44 member
    Clara Noelle! Love Clara. It was a top contender for me but it rhymes with my name, and my name already doesn't sound great with our last name.
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    I prefer Claire generally, but I think that Clara sounds better with Noelle.
  • KStar21KStar21 member
    edited May 2017
    I'm going against the grain and saying that Claire goes better with Noelle - both being French names. OTOH if you're concerned about a common first name with a common last name Clara isn't as popular (I don't think that Claire is common enough to warrant the same concerns that someone named Jennifer or Michael with that last name, for example, would have with identity mix-ups though). ETA: Common last name concerns are also a case where I go against the grain and say that it's more of a concern for a boy to have a common full name than a girl, because 1) A woman is much more likely to change her last name later in life and 2) This isn't as much of a concern with the recently popular names, but since historically the most common boy's names were given to more babies and stayed there for longer than girl's names that boosts the likelihood of someone with the exact same name being mixed up with your child.
  • Thanks for the feedback, ladies!
  • I like Clara better as a name but think Claire Noelle flows better!
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I still love Clara and love how it goes witch Noelle,  BUT just realized it is very Christmas-y.  I used to have a strong association with Clara and the Nutcracker and Noelle is also a Christmas related name. Not saying it should be a deal breaker but just something to consider. 
  • mb0112 said:
    I still love Clara and love how it goes witch Noelle,  BUT just realized it is very Christmas-y.  I used to have a strong association with Clara and the Nutcracker and Noelle is also a Christmas related name. Not saying it should be a deal breaker but just something to consider. 
    Someone on my BMB said this as well, lol. But it doesn't bother me.
  • runfastrunfast member
    Claire 
  • I like Clara better in general, but I think Claire goes a bit better with Noelle, and it is also a great name! I also like that you are spelling Noelle the feminine way instead of Noel. It's a great choice no matter which first name you go with!
  • I personally do not like the name claire. Clara sounds beautiful to me. But it's all about what u like!
    Me: 31  DH: 32      <3 DH since 12.2009       Married 08.2013       EDD 12.2017
  • Love Clara!
  • Another vote for Claire
  • Abby7Abby7 member
    Clara. I think Claire is a little too common.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Claire Noelle is beautiful!  Noelle is my DD's MN, so I'm a bit biased. :smile:
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Love Clara. 
  • atackatack member
    Claire 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Both are great.  You're not going to go wrong with either of these choices.

Although I think Clara Noelle scans better, I prefer the name Claire.  Like someone said above, Claire and Noelle also fit well together as both are of French origin.  

I vote Claire, but just by a nose!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Claire Noelle. In this case it makes more sense to keep the origin consistent.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers